The coronavirus

Comments

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    So last month my school district announced a plan to have online Monday’s and then kids go to school every other day Tuesday- Friday to minimize class size.
    They just announced t he y aren’t doing that, school pretty much back to normal next year. Except bigger class sizes due to budget cuts.
    So,  they thought about practical,  safer design but ultimately went with more kids in a fuller class.  Awesome.  

Which state?
    Denver.
    yes, I know that’s not a state...
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    PJ_Soul said:
    "It's like the flu"

Do you catch the flu in summer?
    I've had the flu in the summer.... Not that I think covid is like the flu.

I've only heard of a few people catching the flu in the summer and you and Brian joined that small list, lol.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    dignin said:
    Hate to be Debbie Downer but...

Asymptomatic COVID-19 findings dim hopes for 'herd immunity' and 'immunity passports'

Antibodies few and short-lived, lung abnormalities found in asymptomatic carriers

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/asymptomatic-covid-19-1.5629172

And then there's this...

chase-rice-concert-coronavirus-1593383417

Tennessee Concert Attracts Packed Crowd With No Masks Or Social Distancing

https://www.stereogum.com/2089588/chace-rice-concert-tennessee-coronavirus-crowd/news/

YOLO!!
    I made a prediction a while back that Country music would be the first to come back and do concerts.  TY Chase Rice for making me a Swami...
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    PJ_Soul said:
    "It's like the flu"

Do you catch the flu in summer?
    I've had the flu in the summer.... Not that I think covid is like the flu.

I've only heard of a few people catching the flu in the summer and you and Brian joined that small list, lol.

It helps to have a good glove and quick hands!

"And there's a long flu ball, center fielder goes back, back, back..."
    Best baseball GIFs of 2013 Part I - SBNationcom

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,393
    Smellyman said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjl44 said:
    Let me get things back on track. First Fauci and now Gottlieb sounding optimistic on a vaccine. Gottlieb here saying 6 months seems possible and also bullish on more treatment options over that period.

https://theweek.com/speedreads-amp/922516/former-fda-commissioner-confidently-predicts-6-months-until-vaccine-treatment-ends-epidemic
    Yes but the demand worldwide means it could be months after that before we have it available,  particularly if said treatment does not originate in the States. 
    Who's to say only one demonstrates safety and efficacy? There are several heading into Phase 3 trials soon.
    There may be more than one, but as soon as the first one is ready, the demand for that will far outpace any available supply for many months.  Now you would think whoever is successful will provide the science to other nations can start producing, but it will still be a long process before the virus is gone.  I'm not being negative but even if it is ready by the end of the year, I feel like that the logistical challenges will be just starting.  
    I’m really hoping that whoever produces the vaccine sees it as A humanitarian resource and not a cash grab. Not to derail but just wanted to thank you and @PJ44 For your perspectives on the health insurance pitfalls surrounding covid.

One reason to hope it is first developed outside the USA.
    6 out of 11 potentials are being developed in China, whose military is taste testing one without phase 3.
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,167
    mickeyrat said:
    I talked to a friend over the weekend who works in one of the local emergency rooms and the thing that stuck with me the most after our conversation was about how it is mutating. He thought it was a little strange that the media hasn’t really been talking about it up to this point.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,413
    Sweden is the only EU country not welcomed when Greece opens to tourists on July 1. It announced the Greek Prime Minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, on Monday, writes several media outlets.
    An additional 18 non-EU countries will be allowed tourists in Greece. By contrast, British, Russians and Americans, among others, are still banned along with the Swedes.
    The decision is based on the high number of infected people in Sweden and the other countries. It is unclear if Swedes will be prevented from entering the country via other means of transport.

Lucky me Pearl Jam isn't playing there this summer. Those rascals.
    No Swedish girls this summer..bad news..

Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    Remember that Memorial Day Ozarks pool party so many people flipped their wig over? I went searching for updates and it's crickets. I couldn't find any follow-up reporting more recent than 2 weeks ago. From what I could find, there have only been 2 confirmed cases in attendees.

It would be nice if the media could follow some of these stories instead of just moving on to the next Can You Believe This picture. It would be really helpful to have some understanding of what impact events like that have.
    pjl44 said:
    Remember that Memorial Day Ozarks pool party so many people flipped their wig over? I went searching for updates and it's crickets. I couldn't find any follow-up reporting more recent than 2 weeks ago. From what I could find, there have only been 2 confirmed cases in attendees.

It would be nice if the media could follow some of these stories instead of just moving on to the next Can You Believe This picture. It would be really helpful to have some understanding of what impact events like that have.
    wonder what the breakdown between locals, in state folks, and out of state folks generally is.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited June 2020
    23scidoo said:
    Sweden is the only EU country not welcomed when Greece opens to tourists on July 1. It announced the Greek Prime Minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis, on Monday, writes several media outlets.
    An additional 18 non-EU countries will be allowed tourists in Greece. By contrast, British, Russians and Americans, among others, are still banned along with the Swedes.
    The decision is based on the high number of infected people in Sweden and the other countries. It is unclear if Swedes will be prevented from entering the country via other means of transport.

Lucky me Pearl Jam isn't playing there this summer. Those rascals.
    No Swedish girls this summer..bad news..

And at the same time, the Swedish girls in Sweden this summer:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited June 2020
    FDA issues guidance on vaccine approval. A couple things that jumped out at me:

- 50% protection vs placebo is a low bar. Probably in case we find ourselves in a "better than nothing" situation. I hinted at this earlier, but what if the first approved vaccine is 70% effective? Is that enough for people to jump on board?

- In a weird lemonade-out-of-lemons scenario, having a few large outbreaks at a time where several vaccines are heading to Phase 3 could at least allow the opportunity for substantial samples. Assuming the timing indeed syncs up well.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fda-to-issue-guidance-on-covid-19-vaccine-approval-11593516090?redirect=amp#click=https://t.co/x1Yhavv8aY
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:

wonder what the breakdown between locals, in state folks, and out of state folks generally is.....
    Yeah, that brings up an interesting point. Just looking at a map, you could reasonably see that area drawing from 2-4 states. (I'm sure locals have a much better feel for how that goes for real.) When people quote state data, you're not really getting a great picture. On one hand you have unique state policies, on the other you have how people naturally travel. You could have an outbreak in Kentucky that really reflects greater Cincinnati. There are so many variables. 
    pjl44 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    pjl44 said:

Yeah, that brings up an interesting point. Just looking at a map, you could reasonably see that area drawing from 2-4 states. (I'm sure locals have a much better feel for how that goes for real.) When people quote state data, you're not really getting a great picture. On one hand you have unique state policies, on the other you have how people naturally travel. You could have an outbreak in Kentucky that really reflects greater Cincinnati. There are so many variables. 
    and cincy(hamilton county) and dayton(montgomery county) are both spiking now....

Thank God for the Nerds
    https://youtu.be/5QCkN_bSSaw

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    I predict that the media -- mainstream, alternative, print, cable, left, right -- will report on this morning's three hour Senate hearing in the most alarming, click-bait manner by pulling out 10 second clips and ignoring context. I just watched the hearing in its entirely. It was collegial, reasoned, informative. If you have the time, I encourage everyone to watch. It was fascinating.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?473393-1/drs-anthony-fauci-robert-redfield-stephen-hahn-address-covid-19-reopening-us-economy#&vod

• what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    ^^^ To add to the above, an Admiral Dr. Fourier from HHS was also part of the panel not named in the link. We need to hear from him more often. He was great. 
    ^^ I love that post, Mr. SC! (Although, I can't hear the word nerd and not feel 12 years old with short hair, glasses, nose in a book, getting beer bottle caps flicked at me by my sisters.) 
    edited June 2020
    BC's school stages:

In the fall: It is possible we could start with Stage 3, which is what we are experiencing now, Stage 2, with all elementary students attending in-class instruction five days per week and secondary students in for two days per week, or Stage 1, all students attending in-class instruction five days per week. The current stage, Stage 3, has K-5 students in class for two to three days per week, Grades 6-7 one day per week, and Grades 8-12, one day per week.

Also... Today's decision by Ottawa: continue banning foreign nationals from entering Canada comes after the European Union agreed to allow some tourists to enter the EU beginning tomorrow. Canada is among the 15 countries on the EU's so-called "safe" list.

Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    pjl44 said:

What, 350,000 new cases per week isn’t enough?

At that point in time, it was a stunning image. The US is now on an island with Russia and Brazil. 

Americans wanted their liberty so badly we are one of the few modern nations that will not be allowed to freely travel the EU. Lovin my liberty!

To get an accurate answer, MO would need an army of contact tracers, something that red states don’t exactly believe in. The media did its job, it showed the shocking image of partygoers flaunting health guidelines. Following up with contact tracing would be the state’s job.
    pjl44 said:

At that point in time, it was a stunning image. The US is now on an island with Russia and Brazil. 

Americans wanted their liberty so badly we are one of the few modern nations that will not be allowed to freely travel the EU. Lovin my liberty!

To get an accurate answer, MO would need an army of contact tracers, something that red states don’t exactly believe in. The media did its job, it showed the shocking image of partygoers flaunting health guidelines. Following up with contact tracing would be the state’s job.
    There are many informative journalistic angles I could see being taken that don't involve operating a contact tracing program. For example:

- Is the state or municipality running a contact tracing program? If so, what are the results here? If not, why not?
    - Contact the business and try to understand where their customers came from? How much info can you get and can you attempt to correlate that with any case data?
    - Have staff reported any positive tests? Anything else on site that might help create a link?

If you're saying the media's only job is to snap Look At This Bullshit pictures, stoke angst, and move on to the next one, that's less than useless. Tabloids at least investigate.
    pjl44 said:

Also, it's pretty rich to moan about "red states" when the response from your very blue state has been nothing short of catastrophic. There is plenty to criticize other states about, but if I were a New Yorker I'd be doing so with a heaping dose of humility.

https://www.propublica.org/article/fire-through-dry-grass-andrew-cuomo-saw-covid-19-threat-to-nursing-homes-then-he-risked-adding-to-it/amp

The celebrity the Swedes would prefer to share a beer with this summer is state epidemiologist Anders Tegnell, according to a recent Novus survey conducted by Sweden's Breweries.

The criminologist Leif GW Persson is thus losing first place as the Swedes' favorite beer company, and ends up in second place. In place three is Jimmie Åkesson, place four King Carl XVI Gustaf, place five Stefan Löfven, place six Crown Princess Victoria, place seven Jonas Sjöstedt, place eight Jill Johnson, place nine Tomas Ledin and place ten Zlatan.

https://live.aftonbladet.se/supernytt/news/5efc3379d717b20011a84f81
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    edited July 2020
    The small amusement park in our neighbouring province PEI is opened back up. They have some pretty good guidelines with a required mask policy outside of the waterpark and other normal measures that we have become accustomed to seeing. The problem is for our family though we booked this trip before the shit hit the fan based off of spending the weekend here and now we will not be able to go to the park due to our 5 year old, 4 year old and 2 year old having to wear a mask. I 100% get why they are doing it and am happy that they are able to open safely for the time being but there is no chance that my kids will keep a mask on. We have tried already multiple times and the meltdowns were not fun. First world problem and we will still go for the lovely beaches but we can get all of that here and the trip was for the kids so I am bummed for them. Over the next couple of weeks I am going to try and teach them how to wear a mask around the house comfortably and maybe find some cool designed ones for them. Maybe that will work. Hope everyone is enjoying their summer so far. Cheers!

Post edited by PJNB on
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481

The celebrity the Swedes would prefer to share a beer with this summer is state epidemiologist Anders Tegnell, according to a recent Novus survey conducted by Sweden's Breweries.

The criminologist Leif GW Persson is thus losing first place as the Swedes' favorite beer company, and ends up in second place. In place three is Jimmie Åkesson, place four King Carl XVI Gustaf, place five Stefan Löfven, place six Crown Princess Victoria, place seven Jonas Sjöstedt, place eight Jill Johnson, place nine Tomas Ledin and place ten Zlatan.

Lay your waste pipe elsewhere with your empty poster tubes full of air. Stefan number 5???!!! Sandkastens halts maul! Stefan and beer on Elm Street would be number 1!!!
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    stolen from adbook...

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    PJNB said:
    The small amusement park in our neighbouring province PEI is opened back up. They have some pretty good guidelines with a required mask policy outside of the waterpark and other normal measures that we have become accustomed to seeing. The problem is for our family though we booked this trip before the shit hit the fan based off of spending the weekend here and now we will not be able to go to the park due to our 5 year old, 4 year old and 2 year old having to wear a mask. I 100% get why they are doing it and am happy that they are able to open safely for the time being but there is no chance that my kids will keep a mask on. We have tried already multiple times and the meltdowns were not fun. First world problem and we will still go for the lovely beaches but we can get all of that here and the trip was for the kids so I am bummed for them. Over the next couple of weeks I am going to try and teach them how to wear a mask around the house comfortably and maybe find some cool designed ones for them. Maybe that will work. Hope everyone is enjoying their summer so far. Cheers!

I would think your 2 year old at least would be exempt from having to wear a mask.
    And for the others, try to find something they like for a mask design, Etsy has all kinds of options, you can find Disney prints and any number of kid themed printed cloth masks in kid sizes.
    This weekend we rock Portland

Lay your waste pipe elsewhere with your empty poster tubes full of air. Stefan number 5???!!! Sandkastens halts maul! Stefan and beer on Elm Street would be number 1!!!
    zzz
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481

zzz
    Sorry, did I wake you?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
This discussion has been closed.