Black Lives Matter

Comments

• KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    American landscaping in progress. :triumph:
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,167
    Kat said:
    I'd prefer organized landscaping instead of helter-skelter.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    JW269453 said:
    Kat said:
    I'd prefer organized landscaping instead of helter-skelter.
    Yes, but you can’t count on the GOP to do anything about this issue heck if we didn’t have videos of all the killings of black Americans the Republicans wouldn’t lift a finger , just like the fluff bill they came up with ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    For clarity in case someone didn't understand. My comment was about this headline. Vandalism is never ok. Have a great weekend all.

Twins remove Calvin Griffith statue from Target Field

Falling down,...not staying down
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Black lives matter activist on CNN right now. Mentions Defund police...makes CNN Jake Tapper clarify for her and then she gives the reality.

why the hell is this so hard?

Re-imagining Public Safety is a much better way to put it. I guess when you let idiots that spray paint ACAB be the lead voice for your movement you end up having to explain a lot 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Black lives matter activist on CNN right now. Mentions Defund police...makes CNN Jake Tapper clarify for her and then she gives the reality.

why the hell is this so hard?

Re-imagining Public Safety is a much better way to put it. I guess when you let idiots that spray paint ACAB be the lead voice for your movement you end up having to explain a lot 
    I think it’s because the re-prefix hasn’t worked for so long And that people are sick of reform, reimagination, reallocate, reinvest, etc only coming up with empty promises of change.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Juneteenth is today.

I will admit I never heard it called this until a few days ago.  Freedom day, yes.  Juneteenth, no.

Anyone else care to admit they never heard it called that before?

Did some reading on it and it is quite fascinating.  It has been in Black community for over 100 years and started off in Texas.
    https://www.juneteenth.com/history.htm

I first heard (or rather, saw) this term several years ago when a used copy of this book came into the bookstore:
    Juneteenth noveljpg

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited June 2020
    RYME said:

I notice the commentator (a while man) mentioned she is one of several black women who portrayed Aunt Jemima.  Before drawing any conclusions, it might be helpful to here from the other several families of the other several women who portrayed the famous pancake lady.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    edited June 2020
    Who gives a shit what someone who profited from acting a part thinks, really?

We are hearing from people impacted by this portrayal.  

Listen....
    The love he receives is the love that is saved

Listen....

Yep- bigger picture is the way to look at it.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    brianlux said:

Listen....

They paid her.  In the 40s/50s?
    Just not sure how that is meant to change the picture, now.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    brianlux said:

Listen....

They paid her.  In the 40s/50s?
    Just not sure how that is meant to change the picture, now.

No, I mean seeing the bigger picture as in this one family's perspective vs. the broader perspective of racial profiling and generalizing.  

• RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    Well, do ALL black lives matter?  Or just the ones that advance leftism and anarchy?
    Getting rid of Aunt Jemima pancakes, and tearing down statues shows that democrats are trying to erase their history asap before people catch on. Democrats don't want you to know about Andrew Jackson and why they want to get him off the $20 bill( founder of the Democratic Party (Trail of Tears Indian Killer and big time slave owner.  Founders and head of the KKK. ( Democrats)
    There are a lot of black people that do not want history erased.
    https://youtu.be/wR2lK36Tc4M

edited June 2020
    RYME said:
    Well, do ALL black lives matter?  Or just the ones that advance leftism and anarchy?
    Getting rid of Aunt Jemima pancakes, and tearing down statues shows that democrats are trying to erase their history asap before people catch on. Democrats don't want you to know about Andrew Jackson and why they want to get him off the $20 bill( founder of the Democratic Party (Trail of Tears Indian Killer and big time slave owner.  Founders and head of the KKK. ( Democrats)

I agree that history should not be erased, RYME.  We gain nothing by doing that.  But do all important figures in history deserve the honor of being made into a statue?  Hitler was an effective, persuasive, and powerful leader in Germany but you will not find statues of Hitler in that country.  The statues that have been recently torn down would be better placed in a museum, and along with them, a plaque that describes clearly and historically what that person did.  In the case of confederate generals and the like, what they did was to lead as a part of a treasonous act in an attempt to overthrow the U.S. government and continue the practice of slavery.  So, yes, those figures should be known and recognized for what they did, not glorified as heroes.

I recently learned that most of these statues that are being torn down were not erected during and just following the Civil War, but were actually built during the period of the Jim Crow laws in late 1800's and early 1900's as well as during the Civil Rights Movement.  That alone will tell you what was the motivation for their being built.

And I would say, as one white guy to another, we don't understand what it is to be black and to have these figures glorified generation after generation.  I can't imagine the anger that would evoke.  Instead of glorifying these figures, maybe we should erect statues of true heroes like William Harvey Carney, the black American soldier from during the Civil War who was award the Medal of Honor, or Isaac Hopper, a white Quaker who helped establish the Underground Railroad to free black slaves. 

So no, let's not erase history.  Let's learn and teach it as it really is.
    Post edited by brianlux on

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:

I agree that history should not be erased, RYME.  We gain nothing by doing that.  But do all important figures in history deserve the honor of being made into a statue?  Hitler was an effective, persuasive, and powerful leader in Germany but you will not find statues of Hitler in that country.  The statues that have been recently torn down would be better placed in a museum, and along with them, a plaque that describes clearly and historically what that person did.  In the case of confederate generals and the like, what they did was to lead as a part of a treasonous act in an attempt to overthrow the U.S. government and continue the practice of slavery.  So, yes, those figures should be known and recognized for what they did, not glorified as heroes.

I recently learned that most of these statues that are being torn down were not erected during and just following the Civil War, but were actually built during the period of the Jim Crow laws in late 1900's and early 2000's as well as during the Civil Rights Movement.  That alone will tell you what was the motivation for their being built.

And I would say, as one white guy to another, we don't understand what it is to be black and to have these figures glorified generation after generation.  I can't imagine the anger that would evoke.  Instead of glorifying these figures, maybe we should erect statues of true heroes like William Harvey Carney, the black American soldier from during the Civil War who was award the Medal of Honor, or Isaac Hopper, a white Quaker who helped establish the Underground Railroad to free black slaves. 

Did you mean to say 19th and 20th century, right?
    That still makes them 100+ years old. I could agree with the southern generals, but tearing down statues of Jefferson and Washington I don’t.

mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:

I recently learned that most of these statues that are being torn down were not erected during and just following the Civil War, but were actually built during the period of the Jim Crow laws in late 1900's and early 2000's as well as during the Civil Rights Movement.  That alone will tell you what was the motivation for their being built.

Did you mean to say 19th and 20th century, right?
    That still makes them 100+ years old. I could agree with the southern generals, but tearing down statues of Jefferson and Washington I don’t.

Yes, I did, thank you!  I changed it to "late 1800's and early 1900's". 

Have I ever mentioned I suck at math?  :lol: 

I don’t give two shits about any monuments being torn down at all , we have books to read about the history of this country! 
    So who in the world has been or was walking around with pain and agony and was offended everytime they walked down the pancake ile at the grocery store?   Aunt Jemima syrup?  I'm sure Mrs Butterworth is next to come down if she hasnt been taken down already.  Be honest.  No-one is offended by the Aunt Jemima pancakes/ syrup or, Lady Antebellum, or a ride at Disney World.
    Its pointless virtue signaling that doesn't do a damn thing.
    Why not focus on the roots of what would really make a possitive lasting impact on black lives.  There is never just one magic solution but this is a major one.
    Like Black Fathers Matter.
    All Black Lives Matter.  Not just some.
    Happy Fathers Day.
    https://www.prageru.com/video/black-fathers-matter/

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    RYME said:

FYI: the parties switched right around the passage of the civil rights act of 1964.  So the democrats you mention from the late 1800s are today’s Republicans  and the party of Lincoln are today s Democrats.   
    And robert e lee didn’t even want statues; I m not following how we erase history by taking down statues.  
     I m not sure if taking down these statues will have the desired effect everyone is looking for but I am also not a person of color so I am not sure how it affects them.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,478
    mcgruff10 said:
    RYME said:

FYI: the parties switched right around the passage of the civil rights act of 1964.  So the democrats you mention from the late 1800s are today’s Republicans  and the party of Lincoln are today s Democrats.   
    And robert e lee didn’t even want statues; I m not following how we erase history by taking down statues.  
     I m not sure if taking down these statues will have the desired effect everyone is looking for but I am also not a person of color so I am not sure how it affects them.  
    Guess we should have left the statue of Saddam Hussein up in Firdos Square then, for history’s sake (I get what you’re saying)?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Well this is fucked up as all hell.

It's a hopeless situation...
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    tbergs said:
    Well this is fucked up as all hell.

I just posted this in the nascar thread, good response from Wallace I thought. Disgusting.

"The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    edited June 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    RYME said:

ALL BLACK LIVES MATTER, not just some.
    FYI: "the parties switched right around the passage of the civil rights act of 1964.  So the democrats you mention from the late 1800s are today’s Republicans  and the party of Lincoln are today s Democrats."  Ok well then,  the Earth is flat, water flows uphill and the moon is made out of cheese.  
    That is revisionist history and total LIES. Huge gargantuan lies and false crap!  That is why most of todays colleges are cesspools of disinformation.
    Lincoln, Reagan, and Trump are the same party.  
    Sorry but youve been lied to.  That is why it's almost impossible to have conversations these days.  Southern Democrats were the Confederacy, and today's Democrats are still the oppressors.
    Sorry, but You can't just flip a switch in 1964 for convenience purposes, sorry the Democratic partie owns its long bloody history.  That is very inconvenient for lefties to overcome.  That's why they want to erase it. 
    And by the way, nothing has changed much, look what goes on in all the major cities run by democrats for the last 50-100+ years how's it going there?  
    Post edited by RYME on
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    RYME said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    RYME said:

FYI: "the parties switched right around the passage of the civil rights act of 1964.  So the democrats you mention from the late 1800s are today’s Republicans  and the party of Lincoln are today s Democrats."  Ok well then,  the Earth is flat, water flows uphill and the moon is made out of cheese.  
    That is revisionist history and total LIES. Huge gargantuan lies and false crap!  That is why most of todays colleges are cesspools of disinformation.
    Sorry but youve been lied to.  That is why it's almost impossible to have conversations these days.  Southern Democrats were the Confederacy, and today's Democrats are still the oppressors.
    Sorry, but You can't just flip a switch in 1964 for convenience purposes, sorry the Democratic partie owns its long bloody history.  That is very inconvenient for lefties to overcome.  That's why they want to erase it. 
    And by the way, nothing has changed much, look what goes on in all the major cities run by democrats for the last 50-100+ years how's it going there?  
    I guess there's no point in conversing with you then because we're the sheep according to you. Good luck in your world of illusion. You sound like my cousin who thinks the world is only a few thousand years old and science is all bullshit.

And also, who actually is hurt by Aunt Jemima changing names? Oh no, I can't find it in the grocery aisle anymore! It's a product, not a person! You're offended by all the wrong things.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited June 2020
    RYME said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    RYME said:

You are telling me with a straight face that during the civil rights movement  the parties, especially southern democrats, didn’t switch?
    And you honestly think the parties of Lincoln and Trump are the same? What similarities do you see between the two?
    and yes southern democrats did create the KKK, no one is trying to rewrite history (where does that even come from?)
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,478
    NVM
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Racists and racism is everywhere 

Talladega 
    white house 
    PJ fan board

It's not new but it is being exposed and people are showing their true selves.

Racists and racism is everywhere 

Talladega 
    white house 
    PJ fan board

It's not new but it is being exposed and people are showing their true selves.

I’m glad that the true colors of some of the posters here have come out , just for future reference as to not ever wanna spend anytime near them even at a PJ show!