Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    You’d think they keep the parks and public spaces open.  I mean all the fatties who need their fast food will have no where to exercise...

Good grief what a shitty comment. 
    Oh good grief.  It’s true what I said.  Public spaces being open gives people a place to go and get some fresh air and relieve some anxiety.  Keeping fast food joints open just how dumb society is...
    facts don't matter when you are blinded by partisan hate. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    So I’ll have to risk a trip to the post office for pot. Canada Post isn’t delivering items requiring signatures or (in this case) proof of age. I suppose it makes sense, except for the admonitions to not leave the house, not sure what the options might be (I could hold my driver’s license up to a window maybe). We all just have to adapt in the end.

My birthday’s in a few days and I’ve accepted my brother’s family won’t be over for dinner, so I’ll have to delay the best present, time with my adorable nieces, lol. We’d be over the provincial limit for gatherings, unfortunately.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    So I’ll have to risk a trip to the post office for pot. Canada Post isn’t delivering items requiring signatures or (in this case) proof of age. I suppose it makes sense, except for the admonitions to not leave the house, not sure what the options might be (I could hold my driver’s license up to a window maybe). We all just have to adapt in the end.

My birthday’s in a few days and I’ve accepted my brother’s family won’t be over for dinner, so I’ll have to delay the best present, time with my adorable nieces, lol. We’d be over the provincial limit for gatherings, unfortunately.
    Hahaha...

I use Weedmaps...I have 4 go to dealers, only 1 has temporarily closed,  and 1 other delivers to your mailbox where they retrieve the cash.  The other 2 things are still the same.  Also I’m 50 minutes from a reservation that has maybe 10 or so weed shops...plus real cheap gas.

I work at a cannabis facility...no way I’m buying government weed...I know too much...lol

bacck to politics nothing says leadership like raising taxes and giving themselves a pay raise in the medical of a health and even economic crisis politicians are the lowest form of life...most have been swimming at the shallow end of gene pool.

My life has been normal.  I got a job that I go to everyday...essential service?  Somehow cannabis is an essential service 11/2 year after legalization.  I do not feel at the least bit at risk.  There is no social distancing inside the facility...anyone who had worked inside a manufacturing facility knows social distancing is almost impossible.  Which should show you how dumb fatty Ford and and mr not ready PM really are.  Somehow fatty Ford feels fast food is essential but getting reading glasses not so much...what a clusterfuck.

whether these idiot politicians keep shit closed through summer...trust me...I will be out at the beach with my dog, I will be out enjoying summer...no fucking way is some idiot politician going to tell me to stay in my house...but you can go to work, because we need someone paying taxes so we can continue paying teachers and government workers indefinitely...fuck them.

Ford pretty much said today that government workers would continue to be paid, he says “it’s not their fault”...it’s not the fault of the workers at GM Oshawa or Windsor Assembly that massive job losses have occurred...we should pay them as well...

Hope you get you Cannabis without much delay.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Hahaha...

I use Weedmaps...I have 4 go to dealers, only 1 has temporarily closed,  and 1 other delivers to your mailbox where they retrieve the cash.  The other 2 things are still the same.  Also I’m 50 minutes from a reservation that has maybe 10 or so weed shops...plus real cheap gas.

I work at a cannabis facility...no way I’m buying government weed...I know too much...lol

bacck to politics nothing says leadership like raising taxes and giving themselves a pay raise in the medical of a health and even economic crisis politicians are the lowest form of life...most have been swimming at the shallow end of gene pool.

My life has been normal.  I got a job that I go to everyday...essential service?  Somehow cannabis is an essential service 11/2 year after legalization.  I do not feel at the least bit at risk.  There is no social distancing inside the facility...anyone who had worked inside a manufacturing facility knows social distancing is almost impossible.  Which should show you how dumb fatty Ford and and mr not ready PM really are.  Somehow fatty Ford feels fast food is essential but getting reading glasses not so much...what a clusterfuck.

whether these idiot politicians keep shit closed through summer...trust me...I will be out at the beach with my dog, I will be out enjoying summer...no fucking way is some idiot politician going to tell me to stay in my house...but you can go to work, because we need someone paying taxes so we can continue paying teachers and government workers indefinitely...fuck them.

Ford pretty much said today that government workers would continue to be paid, he says “it’s not their fault”...it’s not the fault of the workers at GM Oshawa or Windsor Assembly that massive job losses have occurred...we should pay them as well...

Hope you get you Cannabis without much delay.
    I agree that the MP raises kicking in are tone deaf at best, I’m not sure how they could cancel them though, since they’re legislated annual raises going back to 2005. Trudeau’s answer at yesterday’s presser was a joke.

Raising the carbon tax right now is equally reprehensible given so many people feeling the economic effects of this crisis. Shoppers will see price increases in virtually everything, not to mention some of the issues we were hearing about from farmers prior to the current crisis. Adding costs to the food chain right now is flat out stupid to me, and that’s without even considering how current events are lessening many peoples’ carbon footprints (I have to admit mine has increased. I rarely borrow a car and happily take public transit. Right now I only drive places, though I am working to minimize trips out).

• Options
    edited April 2020
    One thing I forgot to add to my above post is that it is good to hear that several MPs are donating their raises to charities helping with this crisis. Now if only all MPs (including the PM) would get on board with this, but I’m not optimistic.

Edit:  Just saw it reported that Trudeau and Scheer are both among those donating their raises. Not a lot of credit (they didn’t cancel the raises), but I want to give it when it’s due.
    Post edited by DarthMaeglin on

• Options
    They should have did the right thing and cancelled those raises.  Who the fuck raises taxes in the middle of a health and economic crisis...what piece shit liberals are.

i am no Ford fan...but he is doing a great job.  He is making Trudeau look foolish.  

Trudeau will never be ready...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    They should have did the right thing and cancelled those raises.  Who the fuck raises taxes in the middle of a health and economic crisis...what piece shit liberals are.

i am no Ford fan...but he is doing a great job.  He is making Trudeau look foolish.  

Trudeau will never be ready...
    I really enjoy your uplifting, positive and informative posts.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,513
    edited April 2020
    Cool - the $400+ GST rebate just showed up  automatically in my bank account. I'd forgotten about that - nice little surprise!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    What’s the GST rebate?  Is this part of the relief package?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Yes. It's a one time credit that pretty much everyone over 19 will get as far as I can tell, based on the 2018 tax filing (so those who haven't yet filed for 2018 won't receive it). Mine dumped into my bank account because I have direct deposit set up for my tax returns. If you don't have that set up, I believe you'll get a cheque. Google for details.
    Edit: But FWIW, I seem to recall this was actually a campaign promise from Trudeau, and it's now being rolled out because of COVID-19. I think it's being included in the aid package because the situation determined the timing of it. But I'm not positive.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yes. It's a one time credit that pretty much everyone over 19 will get as far as I can tell, based on the 2018 tax filing (so those who haven't yet filed for 2018 won't receive it). Mine dumped into my bank account because I have direct deposit set up for my tax returns. If you don't have that set up, I believe you'll get a cheque. Google for details.
    I checked, yes, I also received a deposit...will come in handy...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    A horrifying mass shooting rampage had happened in Portapique and surrounding villages, Nova Scotia. Some fucker (a denturist) apparently posing as a cop in a mock up police car. And it seems like he burned some of the homes of the dead or something?? At least 13 dead. Devastating.

• Options
    Sad...

now 16 + gunman are now dead...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    17 now. :(
  • Options
    worst mass shooting in Canadian history...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    A little levity- this is f'n hilarious... and pretty actually pretty effective, lol. Dude's just trying to do a serious daily presser on a windy day, but can't avoid his sexiness. :lol:

• Options
    My understanding is this is the type of work that does not occur during the much-vaunted (in certain circles) virtual sessions. So once a week changes can be made to proposed legislation.

Obviously I would have preferred the Conservative proposal for more in person sittings than virtual.

Also disappointing to read that Dr. Tam has twice chosen not to appear in front of government committees at the last minute. But had time for a lengthy interview with the CBC, who aren’t much better than Pravda these days.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/student-support-benefits-covid19-1.5548883

• Options
    My gawd...

these politicians are pussies...

I work in a facility with 800 employees...social distancing is not easy there.

i have been to work every day...

ford and Trudeau have no concern for my health.

so fuck all those fucking politicians...

But Trudeau is the bigger scum between the two...it’s not even close..

Tam is a fraud and should be fired.

she like Trudeau is in China’s back pocket... 

I like what New Brunswick has done ... banned temporary foreign workers.  Something fatty Ford should have done, as well as banned Canadians nurses working in Detroit from crossing back and forth...

the good news is about covid 19 has been good for the environment, animals and in some places marine life...

and animals are more important than humans that are too stupid to stop breeding...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Another good thing about covid 19 is that suddenly a rash of health had broken out seeing as ERs are mostly empty...according to the news.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    So when the Conservatives changed gun regulations through orders-in-council it was bad (maybe even undemocratically evil?), but now it's ok?  And Trudeau has the expertise to make sound judgments on this issue?  The guy who makes it sound like these weapons are sold with fully automatic capabilities (such capability has been illegal for a long time already).  I can't help but feel the Trudeau government's exploiting the Nova Scotia tragedy on this one (how many of his other campaign promises is he following up on right now?  I can't think of any.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/liberal-government-gun-control-friday-1.5549969

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    Never the wrong time to limit accessibility to firearms in my opinion. If one can make use of justified public sentiment about it, so much the better.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    I think the whole “don’t use a gun tragedy to make changes in gun laws” argument is just so much bullshit. We use every other type of tragedy to learn from and ideally make changes to prevent a repeat. Toxic waste spill? Contamination of consumer products? Food safety issues? Train derailments? All of these and more have been opportunities to tighten up regulations and oversight, so why the hell should we not use incidents of gun violence to do the same? 
  • Options
    I think the whole “don’t use a gun tragedy to make changes in gun laws” argument is just so much bullshit. We use every other type of tragedy to learn from and ideally make changes to prevent a repeat. Toxic waste spill? Contamination of consumer products? Food safety issues? Train derailments? All of these and more have been opportunities to tighten up regulations and oversight, so why the hell should we not use incidents of gun violence to do the same? 
    I'm not necessarily saying don't use a tragedy to make effective changes, but this isn't that case.  Trudeau is going after legal gun owners who have passed extensive background checks to earn the privilege to own these items.  The Nova Scotia killer didn't possess a single legal firearm.

If we're limiting items that have the potential to kill and hurt people, then I vote for banning vans (sarcastically, obviously), since there was a tragedy here in Toronto 2 years ago where someone killed 10 people by driving.  While we're at it, put breathalyzers in every single motor vehicle to end the crime of drunk driving and all its social damages.  I'm all for addressing gun violence, but I'd be incredibly surprised to find out the guns used in the murder I was steps from were legal (case remains unsolved as far as google shows me).  Deal with the gangs and the illegal guns they use, not the legal gun owners, in my opinion.

I understand that "gun culture" is inexplicable to those who don't get it, I suspect a parallel could be drawn with "car culture" as well.  I'm not active in either of those groups, but I have enjoyed target shooting on a few occasions (and every gun owner I've ever met have been almost obsessively responsible with their weapons) as well as the roar of a sweet muscle car.

Why, for that matter can anyone walk into a store and buy any knife that isn't for the kitchen (until they decide to come for the kitchen knives as well)?  That damn rhetorical slippery slope, and the idea of no one being around when they came for me because I didn't stand up for others.

• Options
    I'm not necessarily saying don't use a tragedy to make effective changes, but this isn't that case.  Trudeau is going after legal gun owners who have passed extensive background checks to earn the privilege to own these items.  The Nova Scotia killer didn't possess a single legal firearm.

If we're limiting items that have the potential to kill and hurt people, then I vote for banning vans (sarcastically, obviously), since there was a tragedy here in Toronto 2 years ago where someone killed 10 people by driving.  While we're at it, put breathalyzers in every single motor vehicle to end the crime of drunk driving and all its social damages.  I'm all for addressing gun violence, but I'd be incredibly surprised to find out the guns used in the murder I was steps from were legal (case remains unsolved as far as google shows me).  Deal with the gangs and the illegal guns they use, not the legal gun owners, in my opinion.

I understand that "gun culture" is inexplicable to those who don't get it, I suspect a parallel could be drawn with "car culture" as well.  I'm not active in either of those groups, but I have enjoyed target shooting on a few occasions (and every gun owner I've ever met have been almost obsessively responsible with their weapons) as well as the roar of a sweet muscle car.

Why, for that matter can anyone walk into a store and buy any knife that isn't for the kitchen (until they decide to come for the kitchen knives as well)?  That damn rhetorical slippery slope, and the idea of no one being around when they came for me because I didn't stand up for others.
    I’m not interested in rehashing the specious “why can we buy knives and cars” arguments - those have been beaten to the ground elsewhere on the forum and many other places, and they have nothing to do with the point you originally raised and which I answered. 

It mostly just boils down to, people who like guns don’t want them limited and find reasons why they shouldn’t be no matter how or when the issue is raised.  I disagree with that. 
  • Options

I’m not interested in rehashing the specious “why can we buy knives and cars” arguments - those have been beaten to the ground elsewhere on the forum and many other places, and they have nothing to do with the point you originally raised and which I answered. 

It mostly just boils down to, people who like guns don’t want them limited and find reasons why they shouldn’t be no matter how or when the issue is raised.  I disagree with that. 

My first point (I guess not properly made) was questioning yet another example of Trudeau’s hypocrisy when it came to his methods, and I did also question his timing for addressing this issue. I also questioned the Prime Minister’s expertise in making a decision on this (maybe he does have a background in responsible firearm use, but I’ve never heard a whisper of such).

Fair enough that here isn’t necessarily the right thread to get into the wider gun debate, but I still take issue with a government (of any stripe) using a tragedy to enact bad policy. Why is now the time to do such a thing (I did read your post on this, you don’t take issue with it)?

Can we at least agree that guns in Canada are already extremely regulated? Personally I’m not looking for a loosening of regulations, and I think my previous post said where I think attention should be given (illegal guns and gangs).

• Options
    Were opening up here. Fingers crossed.

Alberta to relaunch Thursday but COVID-19 restrictions to remain for Calgary, Brooks: Kenney

Calgary and Brooks will reopen more slowly than rest of province, Jason Kenney says at virtual town hall

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/alberta-covid-19-coronavirus-deena-hinshaw-jason-kenney-1.5567913

My wife is excited to pick up some underwear for our boys. It's the little things.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    i honestly thought the AR-15 was already illegal here. seems i know more about american gun laws than canadian. lol. 

a very close friend of mine who hunts posted a video rant of some dude in the states speaking at his local legislative assembly, with a "well said!", i said "you need an AR-15 to shoot prairie chickens?" and he said "for sure, it's fun for target practice". 

i will never understand the fascination. i have seen him with pellet guns, and he literally acts like a mentally deficient pre-teen boy. not irresponsible, just a very immature attitude about how cool it is to blow things to bits. he's a different person with a gun. and i suspect he's not alone. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,675
    This is sort of like sneaking pipelines in through the back door.  Disappointing.

Alberta minister says it’s a ‘great time’ to build a pipeline because COVID-19 restrictions limit protests against them

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    This is sort of like sneaking pipelines in through the back door.  Disappointing.

Alberta minister says it’s a ‘great time’ to build a pipeline because COVID-19 restrictions limit protests against them

Our government is terrible.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    This is just flat out disgusting and I don’t know how anyone can continue to rationalize this minority government. With the NDP completely complicit in Trudeau’s current dictatorship.

Guess I’ll be writing angry emails to the PMO and my local (Liberal) MP tomorrow.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/liberals-preparing-to-postpone-parliament-until-september-with-help-from-the-ndp

Edit: For the whitewashed version:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/liberals-ndp-team-up-in-commons-vote-1.5586038
    Post edited by DarthMaeglin on