Spring Tour Postponed - Letter from the Band

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited March 2020
    JimmyV said:
    Uhh....the Imola, Italy show is still a go??? Might want to recheck that Ed. 
    Next shoe to drop. But like yesterday they won't cancel until they absolutely have to. Everyone hopes this will be behind us by the summer.
    Trump says by April. And no one knows more than him.

/s

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,733
    Tough call, but ultimately the right decision. People are dying and we should all be erring on the side of caution. I have opinions on politics, but this is not about that.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Ryberg79Ryberg79 Posts: 1
    There is Maybe alot to learn from this, thinking of the clima.
    That we cant have sol at once.

The problem is is here in Denmark, that There is not Enough beds and doctors for the critical patient. And That leave a big preasure on the social system. ( Social system= Bernie Sanders= taking care)

Looking forward to here and get the new album on vinyl. And hopefully see the show in Berlin this june 

Respect and a good dicision 
  • TinaETinaE Germany Posts: 1,214
    pjalive21 said:
    criticize me all you want but this band never cancelled shows over people dying of cancer or drug overdoses which have killed more than this virus...im starting to think that some of us grew up and away from this band and started to think for ourselves

I will criticize you for comparing a highly communicable disease to drug ODs and Cancer as if they’re the same thing. When was the last time you saw someone catch cancer from someone else’s sneeze?
    The ignorance being exposed here tonight is absolutely mind blowing. 

@pjalive21 Honestly: I have never seen anyone here posting so much bullshit !! The band's decision is correct. Respect for it !!!
    Berlin 07/05/2018; Berlin 06/21/2022; Frankfurt 06/28/2022
    Eddie Vedder Düsseldorf 06/30/2019
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."
  • False_BeliefFalse_Belief Cardiff Posts: 743
    Most Pearl Jam fans I've met seem like good, decent people.  Unfortunately, Pearl Jam also have some of the most entitled, borderline psychopathic horrorshow followers of any other band currently active.   Just humongous adult babies.  Embarrassed for some of you. 

Leeds 2006, London 2007, Hartford 2008, London Shepherds Bush 2009, London O2 2009, Dublin 2010, London Hyde Park 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, EV solo London 30/7/2012, Berlin 2014, Stockholm 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Amsterdam 1 2018, London 1 2018, London 2 2018, EV solo Dublin 2019, London 1 2022, London 2 2022, New York City 2022 

• TinaETinaE Germany Posts: 1,214
    Geben Sie Ihren KommentarFalse_Belief said:
    Most Pearl Jam fans I've met seem like good, decent people.  Unfortunately, Pearl Jam also have some of the most entitled, borderline psychopathic horrorshow followers of any other band currently active.   Just humongous adult babies.  Embarrassed for some of you. 
    Yes, sad that it is ...

Berlin 07/05/2018; Berlin 06/21/2022; Frankfurt 06/28/2022
    Eddie Vedder Düsseldorf 06/30/2019
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."
  • jadakidjadakid Posts: 64
    The uneducated, immature and naive posts here are staggering. I’m as disappointed as anyone but also understand it’s the right decision. Overblown or not, this sickness is spreading quickly - worldwide - and people are seriously ill and dying. If we ignore what experts are saying is the best way to avoid getting sick or passing it on, then it surely won’t be overblown. Proactive not reactive. Losing money on flights and hotels sucks - it’s happened to all of us - but look at the bigger, MUCH more important picture here.  Peace, patience and health. 
  • Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 1,977
    This is the right call and I’m sure it wasn’t easy. 
  • nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    With all due respect, it’s not just Pearl Jam. Pretty much most bands that have a die hard fan element to them, have segments of the fan base that are a bit unhinged. They believe they are superfans and that the band is “theirs” and others don’t get it. It leads to a compulsive(in a bad way) mindset that leads to things like ga fights, or merch wars, or dismissing others opinions as inconsequential. They really believe they are better than the rest and the band is just for them. 

I’ve seen it in most fanbases unfortunately 
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    jadakid said:
    The uneducated, immature and naive posts here are staggering. I’m as disappointed as anyone but also understand it’s the right decision. Overblown or not, this sickness is spreading quickly - worldwide - and people are seriously ill and dying. If we ignore what experts are saying is the best way to avoid getting sick or passing it on, then it surely won’t be overblown. Proactive not reactive. Losing money on flights and hotels sucks - it’s happened to all of us - but look at the bigger, MUCH more important picture here.  Peace, patience and health. 
    So even the Europe leg of it is canceled? Damn this sucks I feel for everyone who had made plans I only had Baltimore tickets , stay safe.
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    I’m sure most are upset and disappointed, but life goes on.  There’s no dark forces at play here, or conspiracies, or wrong answers. 
    Really can’t fault them for doing this. 

It would be fun if they webcasted a show in an empty arena or a practice space. Maybe have a few songs voted on by us online. 
  • Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 1,977
    jadakid said:
    So even the Europe leg of it is canceled? Damn this sucks I feel for everyone who had made plans I only had Baltimore tickets , stay safe.
    I don’t think Europe is canceled at this point
    can you really fault than you really fault this band?

they see grown men put their toddlers at risk in pits to try and get a tambourine, so they think that same “super fan” will stay home if they have a cough?
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,663
    Can we have the album early? 
    I dont see this happening as the theatrical release is still two weeks away and people have paid for tickets to hear it there ahead of the release
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    pdalowsky said:
    I dont see this happening as the theatrical release is still two weeks away and people have paid for tickets to hear it there ahead of the release
    Honestly, kind of surprised that with postponing the tour, they are OK with groups of people all over the world gathering in theaters to hear the album. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    They should set up in the Key Arena and do a full show on release day. Stream it for 20 bucks a head and all Money go to whatever they want. 
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • BSullyBSully Indiana Posts: 1,004
    I am super bummed, but I understand the decision...I just hope that the rescheduled shows have the same layout. One of the reasons that I chose the St Louis show was because it was on a weekend. Hopefully the rescheduled show will be too.
    1998: Noblesville, IN 08-17
    2000: Noblesville, IN 08-18
    2003: Noblesville, IN 06-22
    2006: Cincinnati, OH 06-24
    2010: Noblesville, IN 05-07
    2016: Lexington, KY 04-26, Wrigley Field 2 08-22
    2018: Wrigley Field 1 08-18, Wrigley Field 2 08-20
    2022: St. Louis, MO 09-18
    2024: Noblesville, IN 08-26, Wrigley Field 1 08-29, Wrigley Field 2 08-31
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    pdalowsky said:
    Honestly, kind of surprised that with postponing the tour, they are OK with groups of people all over the world gathering in theaters to hear the album. 
    Cancelling that might be out of their control now that contracts are signed. Probably up to the theater companies themselves to cancel. As of now I don't think any have. That may change soon.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    pdalowsky said:
    I hear you dude, but then this involves a lot less travel from various regions convening in the same place. Generally speaking the theatre releases will be attended by local people - a few hundred in a room which is only like taking a train ride, or popping to see a film. 

• BSully said:
    I am super bummed, but I understand the decision...I just hope that the rescheduled shows have the same layout. One of the reasons that I chose the St Louis show was because it was on a weekend. Hopefully the rescheduled show will be too.
    Yeah this is the crappy point. Shows will most definitely not be on the same day of the week & some us have different vacations & might not be able to go to the new shows. I understand them doing this for sure, but it’s devastating when you are a week away from seeing PJ for the first time and not knowing if you will be able to go at the later date.
  • sxwxgirl1sxwxgirl1 Posts: 63
    I read some of the comments on here and just shake my head in disbelief at the level of self entitlement and "all about me me me" attitude.  Pearl Jam is one of the most socially conscious bands out there, if you do not know that already where have you been?  They have always been about safety (especially after Roskilde tragedy beyond words), social awareness, and most of all their care and generosity of those who are underprivileged and with medical challenges.    To think some on here calling them cowards for cancelling, I disagree, quite the opposite actually. it took alot of thought and guts to put their fans, communities, and cities all over, and most of all for the medically compromised, FIRST, to not possibly contribute to the spread of what is a deadly virus.  They thought of  the well being of PEOPLE first! 
    This is "no flu" there is no shot or vaccine to protect you or anyone else, those compromised will die. Let's face it, a huge indoor stadium where people are so close, coming from all over is a petri dish for this virus.  Am I gutted that the tour has been postponed of course, that being said I am truly grateful that I did not have to make the choice of having to give up my awesome tickets, in order to protect my medically compromised Husband (Stage 3 COPD under the age of 60) or anyone else in the community who is more at risk. 
     I applaud and thank them for making the decision to protect lives until we figure out more about this deadly virus and it is gone.  Then when they do re-schedule, I will be rocking out and enjoying without worry as will Pearl Jam.   Just stop for a minute, think about people besides yourself and think of the band.  They want zero deaths as a result of  this virus on their tour and to hate on them for that, you have a serious problem.  Lastly, if you are po'd they brought politics into the discussion, again where have you been..do you actually know anything about the band?   
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    BSully said:
    Yeah this is the crappy point. Shows will most definitely not be on the same day of the week & some us have different vacations & might not be able to go to the new shows. I understand them doing this for sure, but it’s devastating when you are a week away from seeing PJ for the first time and not knowing if you will be able to go at the later date.
    I think it's a good point. The day of the week the show was scheduled for is what made me choose Baltimore over MSG, despite living way closer to MSG. He just said he hopes it remains the same, and I do too. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • KC167403KC167403 New York Posts: 14
    Why signed “Ed and Pearl Jam” and not •Pearl Jam”?
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    KC167403 said:
    I'm guessing because he wrote the announcement. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    KC167403 said:
    There seems to be a lot of people struggling with this concept. Its fairly clear that Ed wrote this and signed it personally and on behalf of his band mates. Ive seen people reading way too much into it
  • Magoo2Magoo2 Posts: 94
    I am hoping by posting this I will be able to get off of my ass to get the day started! I am okay that they decided to postpone the shows.  We will see them live again, hopefully sooner than later.  I even bought Sea.hear.live tickets, though I am not a huge fan of the festival shows- but how can you not go to see PJ on the Jersey Shore!  But I feel so joyless this morning!  Just have to ride it out😑
    No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead...
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,383
    pdalowsky said:
    KC167403 said:
    There seems to be a lot of people struggling with this concept. Its fairly clear that Ed wrote this and signed it personally and on behalf of his band mates. Ive seen people reading way too much into it

After reading it aloud to my wife (my first time reading through the letter), I at first thought it was odd, but then immediately came to the simple conclusion that it was probably Ed who wrote it.

I'm sure after 30 years, the rest of the band is probably ok with him speaking for them. I highly doubt they didn't come to this conclusion together.

I mean... one of them does have crohn's & all.

• xjoshfromworkxxjoshfromworkx Moline, IL Posts: 138
    I assume we won't see makeup dates until 2021? Like it was already mentioned, I hope new dates work out for everyone's schedules. STL on a Saturday again would be great.

Moline, IL 10-17-2014
    Wrigley #1 8-20-2016
    Wrigley #2 8-22-2016
    Wrigley #1 8-18-2018
    Wrigley #2 8-20-2018

• THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,650
    All these people - "you made the right decision." Are you freaking kidding? Based on what? Some paranoid lunatics on CNN? This is absolute insanity. We never learn. Swine flu, ebola, bird flu, etc. Such a shame the band gave in to hysteria.
    You are clueless. Do some homework and then come back and post something.
    Enjoy life in your bomb shelter. Good god. What a way to live.
    Bomb shelter? You keep proving my point.....clueless.
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,448
    I was as disappointed and ticked as the next person. Well maybe not as much as some of the extreme posts I have seen on here. We had tickets for STL and OKC and were going to drive to both shows from Southern Illinois. My wife and I are both in good health and I wasn't too worried about how it would affect us. But then she reminded me that we have a 4 month old grandson that we help take care of and go to church with a bunch of older folks. She asked me how I would feel if we went to the show, contracted the virus and spread it to our grandson or people in church. That helped me gain perspective on the postponements.  
This discussion has been closed.