Options

St Louis Hotel and Info (First Post Updated)

Comments

• Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    edited January 2020
    LukinFan said:
    For the locals...

What’s your favorite pizza place downtown?
    Favorite brewery downtown?
    Favorite sports bar downtown?
    Favorite local club/blues club downtown? 
    Favorite BBQ downtown?

thanks!
    As far as brewery go to Schlaflys or Urban Chestnut for all types of beer or Four Hands for IPA
  • Options
    RK50065RK50065 St. Louis, MO Posts: 885
    LukinFan said:
    For Downtown Pizza - Try Sauce on the Side.  Really good Calzone.  Good spot I've only been for lunch but would think they will be open on a ballgame weekend
    For Downtown Pizza - Try Sauce on the Side.  Really good Calzone.  Good spot I've only been for lunch but would think they will be open on a ballgame weekend
    Awesome! Thank you! Looking forward to some great St Louis pizza. 
    Just a heads up there is an actual 'St. Louis style' pizza. It is a thin cracker crust with provel cheese. Imo's is where you can get that crap. Sauce on the Side has normal (good) pizza.
  • Options
    joe159joe159 Decatur, IL. Posts: 307
    Kingside Diner in the Central Westend is a great breakfast spot. 
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    pjalive21 said:
    Stay out of the city and stay in the West County (Chesterfield, Des Peres, Olivette area) or go further west into St. Charles County where you can take an Uber, which will be expensive...as someone who has lived in the city and out let me tell you right now save your money and your life and dont stay in St. Louis City
    I’ve asked this before and got the green light that the area is safe from another member, but just to confirm, Drury Inn at Union Station isn’t the hood, is it? You mention “don’t stay in St. Louis city,” and not sure if this hotel falls in that location. To my knowledge, this is in the city and not in the West County. 
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,064
    bbiggs said:
    pjalive21 said:
    Stay out of the city and stay in the West County (Chesterfield, Des Peres, Olivette area) or go further west into St. Charles County where you can take an Uber, which will be expensive...as someone who has lived in the city and out let me tell you right now save your money and your life and dont stay in St. Louis City
    I’ve asked this before and got the green light that the area is safe from another member, but just to confirm, Drury Inn at Union Station isn’t the hood, is it? You mention “don’t stay in St. Louis city,” and not sure if this hotel falls in that location. To my knowledge, this is in the city and not in the West County. 
    You’re fine. Really most areas of STL city are fine, especially all the bar/restaurant areas that have been mentioned. You just don’t want to cross the bridge to the east side. 
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    bbiggs said:
    pjalive21 said:
    You’re fine. Really most areas of STL city are fine, especially all the bar/restaurant areas that have been mentioned. You just don’t want to cross the bridge to the east side. 
    Thanks again. And I wasn’t doubting you. :). His post about city vs west county threw me off. 
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,009
    RK50065 said:
    LukinFan said:
    Just a heads up there is an actual 'St. Louis style' pizza. It is a thin cracker crust with provel cheese. Imo's is where you can get that crap. Sauce on the Side has normal (good) pizza.
    This is what I was looking for.  Thank you!!!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    First post updated. I will continue adding suggestions to the first post as people post them.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    CornishManCornishMan Cornwall, UK Posts: 438
    edited January 2020
    RK50065 said:
    LukinFan said:
    I really like Imos pizza! It's different though... not exactly pizza like most people expect! It's cool that STL has their own style - pretty much the exact opposite as the rivals in Chi-Town haha!

I would definitely recommend Urban Chestnut brewery!  Great range of awesome beers!

Another thing which is surprisingly fun is the Anheiser Busch brewery tour.  I know it's Budweiser and tastes like crap.... but the tour was pretty good... you get 2-3 pints of beer (including some of their 'craft alternatives' so you don't have to have regular Bud)... and best of all, the tour is completely FREE!  I wasn't expecting much when I went but as it was free, I thought why not.... and had a surprisingly good time! It's an impressive place.
    Post edited by CornishMan on
    London #1 2000, Reading 2006, London 2007, London 2009, London 2010, Manchester #1 2012, Manchester #2 2012, Manchester 2012 (EV), Milton Keynes 2014, London #2 2017 (EV), London #1 2018, London #2 2018, London #1 2022, London #2 2022.
  • Options
    chiwhitesoxchiwhitesox Chicago Posts: 696
    The AB brewery tour is fantastic and free.
    Hill restaurants are great. Downtown is fine, just be vigilant like in all big cities. Not sure what that user meant earlier about “fearing for your life”. Seems pretty extreme. Been going to this city for 30 years as my wife was born and raised there. Great town.
    - Chicago G

chicago98-chicago00-chicago03-east troy03-chicago06-chicago09-east troy11_2-chicago13-moline14-milwaukee14-lexington16-chicago16_1-chicago16_2-chicago18_1-chicago18_2
  • Options
    RK50065 said:
    LukinFan said:
    I really like Imos pizza! It's different though... not exactly pizza like most people expect! It's cool that STL has their own style - pretty much the exact opposite as the rivals in Chi-Town haha!

I would definitely recommend Urban Chestnut brewery!  Great range of awesome beers!

Another thing which is surprisingly fun is the Anheiser Busch brewery tour.  I know it's Budweiser and tastes like crap.... but the tour was pretty good... you get 2-3 pints of beer (including some of their 'craft alternatives' so you don't have to have regular Bud)... and best of all, the tour is completely FREE!  I wasn't expecting much when I went but as it was free, I thought why not.... and had a surprisingly good time! It's an impressive place.
    Reminds me of the Sam Adams brewery tour in Boston. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,165
    edited January 2020
    BS122256 said:
    LukinFan said:
    For the locals...

Favorite BBQ downtown?

thanks!
    Unfortunately I don’t have a pizza place to recommend downtown. 
    Brewery’s:  Schlafly Tap room is awesome. Four hands is also great. Center ice is a cool hockey themed brewery. 
    BBQ:  Sugarfire and pappys
    ill get back to you on blues/clubs
    Any recommendations for breakfast/brunch Sunday morning downtown?  Thanks!
    Sorry I don’t get downtown for breakfast/brunch much but I hear Roosters is great. 
    Ooh, those crepes look good, I think that's my Sunday morning spot, thanks. Then I'll wander around downtown before heading to Busch for the game.
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,165
    RK50065 said:
    LukinFan said:
    I assume you just mean compared to our deep dish, because we have our cracker thin crust style as well. We use real cheese though.

• Options
    RK50065 said:
    BS122256 said:
    LukinFan said:
    For the locals...

Favorite BBQ downtown?

thanks!
    Unfortunately I don’t have a pizza place to recommend downtown. 
    Brewery’s:  Schlafly Tap room is awesome. Four hands is also great. Center ice is a cool hockey themed brewery. 
    BBQ:  Sugarfire and pappys
    ill get back to you on blues/clubs
    Any recommendations for breakfast/brunch Sunday morning downtown?  Thanks!
    Rooster.

THANKS!
    Minneapolis '98, East Troy '00, Pittsburgh '03, Thunder Bay '05, St. Paul '06 (Two Nights), Kansas City '10, Eddie Solo Minneapolis '11, Eddie Solo Las Vegas (Night Two), Philadelphia '13 (Night One), Lincoln '14, St. Paul '14, Greenville '16, Wrigley II '16, Berlin '18, Missoula '18
  • Options
    jets521jets521 Posts: 804
    Hey STL'ers

Was there any further discussion as to why show time is listed as 7 PM on only the Saint Louis show? (curfew?)

With the now-announced opener - still hoping its 7 PM for the opener and a more traditional 8/830 main act

Wachovia Center, Philadelphia - 10/3/05
    Tweeter Center, Camden - 5/27/06
    Verizon Center, Wash. DC - 5/30/06
    Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN - 6/14/08
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 6/19/08
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/28/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/30/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/31/09
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 5/21/10
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 10/21/13
    1st Mariner Arena, Baltimore - 10/27/13
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 4/28/16
    Enterprise Center, Saint Louis - 9/18/22
  • Options
    stlbss29stlbss29 Posts: 37
    edited January 2020
    Not a local, but a long-time Cards fan who has been going to games for 35 years.  Booked at the Hilton Union Station, primarily because it was closest.  If you have a chance and like Italian, you really NEED to go to The Hill.  It's not downtown, but it has some of the absolute best true Italian food you'll ever have.  Maybe 10 minutes West of downtown on 64 - you can see it on Google maps if you follow 64 to Hampton Ave. and turn left.  Haven't seen a number lately, but several years ago there were 20+ Italian restaurants in this section of town.  Our personal favorite is Larosso's. https://www.lorussos.com/   Doesn't require a reservation and opens at 5pm.  Possibly too late for the concert, but there are a lot of other options in this area, however parking is limited.  

As others have mentioned, Ballpark Village across from the outfield of Busch Stadium is pretty lively as well and is within walking distance.  Not sure what your dining options are there, but if you like baseball, the Cardinals Hall of Fame is located there and is worth the price of admission.  Lots of old memorabilia, old jerseys, equipment, etc... from the long history of the club.  And of course....World Series Trophies!
    Post edited by stlbss29 on
    2012 - Eddie Vedder/Glen Hansard
    2014 Memphis, 2022 Nashville
  • Options
    CornishManCornishMan Cornwall, UK Posts: 438
    mattcoz said:
    RK50065 said:
    LukinFan said:
    I assume you just mean compared to our deep dish, because we have our cracker thin crust style as well. We use real cheese though.

Yes absolutely.... like comparing chalk and cheese! I just thought it was fun that a couple of rival towns also have rival pizza styles!

I spent a few days in Chicago on the way to STL at thanksgiving and have to say the deep dish was pretty epic! I didn’t get to try the thin crust style though.
    London #1 2000, Reading 2006, London 2007, London 2009, London 2010, Manchester #1 2012, Manchester #2 2012, Manchester 2012 (EV), Milton Keynes 2014, London #2 2017 (EV), London #1 2018, London #2 2018, London #1 2022, London #2 2022.
  • Options
    up
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    jets521jets521 Posts: 804
    jets521 said:
    Hey STL'ers

Was there any further discussion as to why show time is listed as 7 PM on only the Saint Louis show? (curfew?)

With the now-announced opener - still hoping its 7 PM for the opener and a more traditional 8/830 main act

Bump - insight..?
    Wachovia Center, Philadelphia - 10/3/05
    Tweeter Center, Camden - 5/27/06
    Verizon Center, Wash. DC - 5/30/06
    Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN - 6/14/08
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 6/19/08
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/28/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/30/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/31/09
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 5/21/10
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 10/21/13
    1st Mariner Arena, Baltimore - 10/27/13
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 4/28/16
    Enterprise Center, Saint Louis - 9/18/22
  • Options
    jets521 said:
    jets521 said:
    Hey STL'ers

Bump - insight..?
    Are you asking if Pearl Jam is going on at 7PM? I'm assuming that's when the opener will come on and then PJ 8:15-8:30. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    Not local, but I go to StL quite a bit.  Pappy’s is awesome but always crowded.  Bogart’s is just as good and you won’t have to wait.  

But if you’re a ribs person, go to Adam’s smokehouse on the Hill.  They are better than Pappy’s ribs and completely worth the trek from downtown.  No wait there as well.  Try the smoked salami, too. 

• Options
    Question for locals. Got Club section tickets (101C). Are the club level concessions open for concerts too or just the hockey games? I aaume they are. TIA
  • Options
    theebradnesstheebradness Quincy, IL originally from Weymouth, MA Posts: 278
    I just cancelled my room at the Pear Tree Inn (Pear Tree Inn St. Louis Near Union Station) if anyone is looking for a room. Staying with a friend instead

Lollapalooza 1992 Mansfield MA
    STL 2014
    Wrigley Aug 20th 2016
    St Louis 2022

I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love.
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,191
    chiefnjk said:
    Any info on The Last Hotel?
    I live next door to the Last Hotel. It's a brand new boutique with a decent restaurant. Five blocks to the arena. 
    Sauce on the side is strictly calzones, no pizza. Delfino's (Washington & Tucker) has good NY style pizza. 
    Chris' at the Docket is a good breakfast spot downtown, more traditional fare than Rooster. 
  • Options
    What are we 6 weeks out from the show?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,930
    LukinFan said:
    What are we 6 weeks out from the show?
    Almost to the hour! Can't fucking wait 
  • Options
    Hankj25Hankj25 Posts: 253
    I’ve been to STL a lot over the years for work. Ballpark Village is a good spot for before the show. 

I booked at the Hilton right by the arena. Figured that the upcharge was worth it to not fight for parking, and have easy out afterward.  

STL gets a bad wrap. Being from Chicago it’s easy to rag on it. It’s not a great place, but it’s OK. Downtown is rough, and the E STL area is as bad as any Chicago neighborhood you’ve been told about.  

When traveling there for work I typically stay away from downtown.  But this is PJ on a Saturday night. I expect a decent buzz and should be safe as anywhere until midnight. 
    Seattle 8-8-18
    Chicago 8-18-18
    Chicago 8-20-18
    St. Louis 4-4-20
    Denver 4-9-20

Denver 9-22-22
    Noblesville 9-10-23
    Vancouver 5-6-24
    Portland 5-10-24

EV
    Chicago 2-9-22
    Tempe 2-26-23
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,937
    Question for locals. Got Club section tickets (101C). Are the club level concessions open for concerts too or just the hockey games? I aaume they are. TIA
    Curious to know this as well. Im in 105C. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    I’m staying near the Arch.  Anything I need to worry about?  Safe to walk home from the show or is Uber the better option?
  • Options
    NewfieintheUSANewfieintheUSA Posts: 2,311
    There is a king room available at the Drury Inn at Union Station. It's a 0.5 mile walk from the Enterprise center. Use promo code SMILE to get the best rate.