ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    What’s wrong with that? 
    *raises hand*
    You looking for an invitation? I already asked the question.
    Treating abortion as a tragedy cedes to anti-choice people ground re: what constitutes life. 
    Perhaps. But I do think it’s a tragedy and a failure. A failure of the education system or a failure of proper manufacturing of protection or a failure of judgement in the moment. Lots of failures cause I’ve been told nobody is pro-abortion. So you would think an abortion is seen as a non-preferred outcome for anyone 
    It’s birth control. It’s no more a failure than an IUD Is

Perhaps you should read before writing.
    https://secularhumanism.org/2016/07/cont-why-i-am-pro-abortion-not-just-pro-choice/ 

Wait a minute... Hugh? Did you read this?

;)

Well I certainly disagree with this article, but all are allowed to have their opinions no matter how absurd. 
    So you're allowed to have an opinion about what women can/should do with their bodies? I suppose. When that opinion becomes political action, however......
    Yeah I feel this is a topic that could have discussion. And really if you go back, I’ll I’m saying at this point is that what is wrong with Yang saying abortion shouldn’t be celebrated? So many other, safer ways to prevent a pregnancy. You get there it’s like last like of defense. Would hope to never get there.
    Is it ok to celebrate when a condom works? 
    Didn’t you? 
    I know you're trying to keep a lighthearted tone here, but--maybe because I live in such a strongly anti-choice state--it's hard for me to joke about this.

Imagine with me if you will:

A woman doesn't want to be pregnant. She uses birth control. She celebrates the fact that she's not pregnant. Condom, pill, IUD, abortion, what have you. 

Any suggestion that she *should not* celebrate, because of the form of birth control she uses, erodes women's bodily autonomy and cedes WAY too much ground to anti-choicers. 
    Full disclosure, I am pretty Anti-abortion.  I’ve come to grips that it’s what the country wants and the law provides and the Supreme Court decides. So I’m not ok with the state laws trying to go against that. But now we are here, I would really prefer to still not have any, and so I think your description is dangerous.  It’s certainly not better for a woman’s body to get pregnant and have an abortion than it is to not get pregnant in the first place.

So I do strongly disagree with you that it should be looked at as just birth control. Compare it to weight loss, you can lose weight with liposuction or gastric bypass....is that the best way? 

hippiemom = goodness
  • ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    cincybearcat said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    What’s wrong with that? 
    *raises hand*
    Treating abortion as a tragedy cedes to anti-choice people ground re: what constitutes life. 
    Perhaps. But I do think it’s a tragedy and a failure. A failure of the education system or a failure of proper manufacturing of protection or a failure of judgement in the moment. Lots of failures cause I’ve been told nobody is pro-abortion. So you would think an abortion is seen as a non-preferred outcome for anyone 

https://secularhumanism.org/2016/07/cont-why-i-am-pro-abortion-not-just-pro-choice/ 

;)

Well I certainly disagree with this article, but all are allowed to have their opinions no matter how absurd. 
    So you're allowed to have an opinion about what women can/should do with their bodies? I suppose. When that opinion becomes political action, however......
    Yeah I feel this is a topic that could have discussion. And really if you go back, I’ll I’m saying at this point is that what is wrong with Yang saying abortion shouldn’t be celebrated? So many other, safer ways to prevent a pregnancy. You get there it’s like last like of defense. Would hope to never get there.
    Didn’t you? 
    I know you're trying to keep a lighthearted tone here, but--maybe because I live in such a strongly anti-choice state--it's hard for me to joke about this.

A woman doesn't want to be pregnant. She uses birth control. She celebrates the fact that she's not pregnant. Condom, pill, IUD, abortion, what have you. 

Any suggestion that she *should not* celebrate, because of the form of birth control she uses, erodes women's bodily autonomy and cedes WAY too much ground to anti-choicers. 
    Full disclosure, I am pretty Anti-abortion.  I’ve come to grips that it’s what the country wants and the law provides and the Supreme Court decides. So I’m not ok with the state laws trying to go against that. But now we are here, I would really prefer to still not have any, and so I think your description is dangerous.  It’s certainly not better for a woman’s body to get pregnant and have an abortion than it is to not get pregnant in the first place.

So I do strongly disagree with you that it should be looked at as just birth control. Compare it to weight loss, you can lose weight with liposuction or gastric bypass....is that the best way? 

Never mind. Not having this conversation with a misogynist. 
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    ecdanc said:
    cincybearcat said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    What’s wrong with that? 
    *raises hand*

;)

Didn’t you? 

Never mind. Not having this conversation with a misogynist. 
    huh? 

Honestly I thought like 99% of people could agree that abortion would be a last resort? As I’ve been having discussions over the years and trying to listen more that’s what I heard. 

hippiemom = goodness
    Man you certainly love labels and name calling in order to not have a discussion.

@brianlux I think I see how you got with this guy.
    hippiemom = goodness
    Man you certainly love labels and name calling in order to not have a discussion.

You don’t get to converse about this. Go read about it and keep your mouth shut. 
    ecdanc said:

You don’t get to converse about this. Go read about it and keep your mouth shut. 
    Go read about what? Abortion? I’m going to ask once nicely what you are talking about. 

hippiemom = goodness
    ecdanc said:

Go read about what? Abortion? I’m going to ask once nicely what you are talking about. 

Abortion, bodily autonomy, sexism, feminism, et al. You can stop reading when you learn that you don’t get an opinion. 
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

Abortion, bodily autonomy, sexism, feminism, et al. You can stop reading when you learn that you don’t get an opinion. 
    So, trying to keep it somewhat non-confrontational...why do I not get an opinion, in your opinion? 
    hippiemom = goodness
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

So, trying to keep it somewhat non-confrontational...why do I not get an opinion, in your opinion? 
    You don’t get an opinion about what women can/should do with their bodies. Neither do I. 
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

You don’t get an opinion about what women can/should do with their bodies. Neither do I. 
    Ok, gotcha. I understand that point of view. I disagree in this topic 
    hippiemom = goodness
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

I gathered. That makes you a misogynist. 
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

No, I don’t think so. Cause I think there is another life. But, as I said, the country has decided and so has the Supreme Court. So I think anyone that is anti-abortion should be so by encouraging proper sex education, access to birth control, etc. trying to minimize the need for a medical procedure to end a pregnancy.

Honestly I think your labeling is bullshit and you do it a lot to try and not have discussion.
    hippiemom = goodness

mi·sog·y·nist
    /məˈsäjənəst/
    noun
    1. a person who dislikes, despises, or is strongly prejudiced against women.

This is just not true. So please stop being a child.
    hippiemom = goodness
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

No, I don’t think so. Cause I think there is another life. But, as I said, the country has decided and so has the Supreme Court. So I think anyone that is anti-abortion should be so by encouraging proper sex education, access to birth control, etc. trying to minimize the need for a medical procedure to end a pregnancy.

Honestly I think your labeling is bullshit and you do it a lot to try and not have discussion.
    I don’t think I’ve ever heard a misogynist admit to being a misogynist.    

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    :total_trainwreck_emoji:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

Well since I’m not...seriously stop being a 10 year old. 

hippiemom = goodness
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

Less talking, more reading. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592

With Yang or ecdanc?

The classic train wreck  emoji:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:

With Yang or ecdanc?

the brady label maker 
    hippiemom = goodness
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

Don’t be so pompous.
    hippiemom = goodness
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

Don’t be so pompous.
    I’m pompous when I point out I’m an expert in a field and I’m pompous when I say I don’t get an opinion. Can’t win. 

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    brianlux said:

With Yang or ecdanc?

the brady label maker 

Ah yes.  I've had a few of his labels applied to my forehead with Gorilla Glue yet even they they don't stick.  Must be my Teflon personality! :smiley:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

Don’t be so pompous.
    I’m pompous when I point out I’m an expert in a field and I’m pompous when I say I don’t get an opinion. Can’t win. 

You are just pompous all the time maybe? 
    hippiemom = goodness
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

Don’t be so pompous.

You are just pompous all the time maybe? 
    I find you far more arrogant than me. 
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    As someone who is strongly pro-choice, I disagree with the term  “tragedy”, but let’s be realistic here - no medical or surgical procedure is risk-free so it’s always better to avoid an unwanted pregnancy where possible, rather than consider abortion as just another means of contraception. 
    No birth control is risk free. 
    Sure, but some have more risks than others, and a surgical procedure involving anaesthesia will generally have a higher risk than many of the alternative contraception options. 
    That’s fair. I just think your suggestion that something is “always better” than abortion has unintended consequences. 

No. I work with facts and I'm not interested in providing half-truth narratives when it comes to people's health, so I don't buy this line of reasoning.

For conversations where you think you might want to use that argument, better to just point out that pregnancy and childbirth are far more dangerous to a woman's health than abortion or any of the legitimate contraception methods. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Yeah, I've had some labels tossed at me too, even just recently!  We all have.  Not very nice but if they're not true, fuck it - ultimately means nothing.

As to the bickering, could you folks please take it to pm's already?
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Do the rest of us get to vote on who is more arrogant/pompous?

Asking for a friend ;)
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    As someone who is strongly pro-choice, I disagree with the term  “tragedy”, but let’s be realistic here - no medical or surgical procedure is risk-free so it’s always better to avoid an unwanted pregnancy where possible, rather than consider abortion as just another means of contraception. 
    No birth control is risk free. 
    Sure, but some have more risks than others, and a surgical procedure involving anaesthesia will generally have a higher risk than many of the alternative contraception options. 
    That’s fair. I just think your suggestion that something is “always better” than abortion has unintended consequences. 

No. I work with facts and I'm not interested in providing half-truth narratives when it comes to people's health, so I don't buy this line of reasoning.

For conversations where you think you might want to use that argument, better to just point out that pregnancy and childbirth are far more dangerous to a woman's health than abortion or any of the legitimate contraception methods. 
    Yeah I can see that. 
    hippiemom = goodness
    Do the rest of us get to vote on who is more arrogant/pompous?

Asking for a friend ;)
    I’m fine with it. I’m sure it’ll be close. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
    hedonist said:
    Yeah, I've had some labels tossed at me too, even just recently!  We all have.  Not very nice but if they're not true, fuck it - ultimately means nothing.

As to the bickering, could you folks please take it to pm's already?
    Fair enough
    hippiemom = goodness