Andrew Yang's Humanity Forward Movement

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    MayDay10 said:
    Yang is what our country needs right now.  Laser-focused on real problems and solutions. 
    Let's hope he gets a big surge in Iowa that sets him on the path to being a major factor and maybe ultimately the nomination.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    pjhawks said:
    MayDay10 said:
    Yang is what our country needs right now.  Laser-focused on real problems and solutions. 
    Let's hope he gets a big surge in Iowa that sets him on the path to being a major factor and maybe ultimately the nomination.

Yes, thank you pjhawks! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    I have liked yang more and more lately.  I think I may have a thang for yang
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
    I have liked yang more and more lately.  I think I may have a thang for yang

"a thang for Yang", I love it!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• I have liked yang more and more lately.  I think I may have a thang for yang
    If that is your thing, that's fine.

Go Yang!
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    some folk are upset at something yang said about abortion. i wish i could find the video. but he essentially said that, while abortion should always be up to the woman and her doc, it "shouldn't be celebrated". and should always be treated as a tragedy. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    What’s wrong with that? 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    What’s wrong with that? 
    *raises hand*
    ecdanc said:
    What’s wrong with that? 
    *raises hand*
    You looking for an invitation? I already asked the question.
    hippiemom = goodness
    ecdanc said:
    What’s wrong with that? 
    *raises hand*
    Treating abortion as a tragedy cedes to anti-choice people ground re: what constitutes life. 
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    What’s wrong with that? 
    *raises hand*
    Treating abortion as a tragedy cedes to anti-choice people ground re: what constitutes life. 
    Perhaps. But I do think it’s a tragedy and a failure. A failure of the education system or a failure of proper manufacturing of protection or a failure of judgement in the moment. Lots of failures cause I’ve been told nobody is pro-abortion. So you would think an abortion is seen as a non-preferred outcome for anyone 
    hippiemom = goodness
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    What’s wrong with that? 
    *raises hand*
    Perhaps. But I do think it’s a tragedy and a failure. A failure of the education system or a failure of proper manufacturing of protection or a failure of judgement in the moment. Lots of failures cause I’ve been told nobody is pro-abortion. So you would think an abortion is seen as a non-preferred outcome for anyone 
    It’s birth control. It’s no more a failure than an IUD Is

ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    What’s wrong with that? 
    *raises hand*

Perhaps you should read before writing.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    As someone who is strongly pro-choice, I disagree with the term  “tragedy”, but let’s be realistic here - no medical or surgical procedure is risk-free so it’s always better to avoid an unwanted pregnancy where possible, rather than consider abortion as just another means of contraception. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    As someone who is strongly pro-choice, I disagree with the term  “tragedy”, but let’s be realistic here - no medical or surgical procedure is risk-free so it’s always better to avoid an unwanted pregnancy where possible, rather than consider abortion as just another means of contraception. 
    Well said- very much agree.

Fair enough on the word choice. But I certainly agree with you here. All I was trying to say was it’s a last resort and means other things failed. I’m told no one wants that, so it is not a good thing.
    hippiemom = goodness
    No birth control is risk free. 
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    What’s wrong with that? 
    *raises hand*

https://secularhumanism.org/2016/07/cont-why-i-am-pro-abortion-not-just-pro-choice/ 

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    ecdanc said:
    Sure, but some have more risks than others, and a surgical procedure involving anaesthesia will generally have a higher risk than many of the alternative contraception options. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    ecdanc said:
    Sure, but some have more risks than others, and a surgical procedure involving anaesthesia will generally have a higher risk than many of the alternative contraception options. 
    That’s fair. I just think your suggestion that something is “always better” than abortion has unintended consequences. 
    Fair enough on the word choice. But I certainly agree with you here. All I was trying to say was it’s a last resort and means other things failed. I’m told no one wants that, so it is not a good thing.
    It’s not always that something else failed. Women sometimes want to get pregnant then change their minds. 
    Yesterday was rough for Yang but I'm not giving up- digging deep for another contribution and hoping things go better in New Hampshire.  If Yang does well enough there, I'm still in, for sure.  If not, I'm probably going with Amy.  I love the vision of the future Yang incorporates in his message and views.  I'm staying outside that stuffy box with him for now.

ecdanc said:
    It’s not always that something else failed. Women sometimes want to get pregnant then change their minds. 
    I already said failure of judgment ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
    ecdanc said:
    I already said failure of judgment ;)
    Joking or not, that's messed up. 
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    What’s wrong with that? 
    *raises hand*

https://secularhumanism.org/2016/07/cont-why-i-am-pro-abortion-not-just-pro-choice/ 

Wait a minute... Hugh? Did you read this?

;)

Well I certainly disagree with this article, but all are allowed to have their opinions no matter how absurd. 
    hippiemom = goodness
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    What’s wrong with that? 
    *raises hand*

;)

Well I certainly disagree with this article, but all are allowed to have their opinions no matter how absurd. 
    So you're allowed to have an opinion about what women can/should do with their bodies? I suppose. When that opinion becomes political action, however......
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    What’s wrong with that? 
    *raises hand*

;)

So you're allowed to have an opinion about what women can/should do with their bodies? I suppose. When that opinion becomes political action, however......
    Yeah I feel this is a topic that could have discussion. And really if you go back, I’ll I’m saying at this point is that what is wrong with Yang saying abortion shouldn’t be celebrated? So many other, safer ways to prevent a pregnancy. You get there it’s like last like of defense. Would hope to never get there.
    hippiemom = goodness
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    What’s wrong with that? 
    *raises hand*

;)

Yeah I feel this is a topic that could have discussion. And really if you go back, I’ll I’m saying at this point is that what is wrong with Yang saying abortion shouldn’t be celebrated? So many other, safer ways to prevent a pregnancy. You get there it’s like last like of defense. Would hope to never get there.
    Is it ok to celebrate when a condom works? 
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    What’s wrong with that? 
    *raises hand*

;)

Didn’t you? 
    hippiemom = goodness
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    What’s wrong with that? 
    *raises hand*

;)

Didn’t you? 
    I know you're trying to keep a lighthearted tone here, but--maybe because I live in such a strongly anti-choice state--it's hard for me to joke about this.

Imagine with me if you will:

A woman doesn't want to be pregnant. She uses birth control. She celebrates the fact that she's not pregnant. Condom, pill, IUD, abortion, what have you. 

Any suggestion that she *should not* celebrate, because of the form of birth control she uses, erodes women's bodily autonomy and cedes WAY too much ground to anti-choicers.