The Food Thread

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

This is about 2/3 of my winter provisions for the year, the rest is unpreserved because it won't last the late fall lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Is that all freezer bound?   Or, is it packed in something to preserve in the jars?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • rgambs said:

This is about 2/3 of my winter provisions for the year, the rest is unpreserved because it won't last the late fall lol
    You're back from your timeout!  Welcome!!!
  • Caught me a beautiful striped bass.  Skin is off already and in steak sizes.

Looking for a good recipe.

Please post em!
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Caught me a beautiful striped bass.  Skin is off already and in steak sizes.

Please post em!
    Fried only way to eat it ..never baked grill would work too !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I was gifted a vintage Kitchen Aid stand mixer over the weekend from a friend.  While I was excited about receiving a Kitchen Aid mixer for free, oh man is this thing in need of a good helping of TLC.  It honestly looks like it hasn't been used - or cleaned - in  years. 
    I'm gonna take it apart best I can, get the internals cleaned up, clean & check the gears & regrease them, new motor brushes, and probably swap out the power cord.  I'm not complaining, because a) it was free and b) it gives me a project to work on now that the weather is changing and playing outdoors is no longer an option, but man I really wish she would've taken better care of such a fine piece of machinery.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Those things will last forever (forever!) if cared for
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Is that all freezer bound?   Or, is it packed in something to preserve in the jars?
    Most of it is for the freezer.  I didn't have any helpers for canning this year so I didn't get much done.  The Tupperware is mostly tomato sauce, a gallon of berries on top.
    The zips are butternut squash and chopped mixed peppers, the quarts are tomato sauce, and the pints are what's left of my failed ketchup, which turned out to be delicious sloppy joe sauce and we already ate 5 pints lol

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?

Please post em!
    I don't want to fry it Jose!
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I just finished making the dough for naan bread. It needs to rest for 4 hours.
    I am cooking it tonight along with a chicken korma. I found another version of this dish which I hope will be nicer than the one I made last week.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    My chicken korma and naan bread were fantastic! One of the best meals I've made, up there with the restaurant version I have had.
    Only issue, if it even is one, is the poppy seeds would just not get chopped in the blender no matter what I tried.

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

Please post em!
    Not too many options with Bass I’ve cooked it all ways and fried is by far the best way ...
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    My chicken korma and naan bread were fantastic! One of the best meals I've made, up there with the restaurant version I have had.
    Only issue, if it even is one, is the poppy seeds would just not get chopped in the blender no matter what I tried.

Looks great. 
    As to the poppy seeds, why don't you go out and buy a mortar and pestle. I used to make my pastes in a blender as well, but after getting a mortar I'll never go back. It's a bit more labour intensive but well worth it.
    eddiec said:

Looks great. 
    As to the poppy seeds, why don't you go out and buy a mortar and pestle. I used to make my pastes in a blender as well, but after getting a mortar I'll never go back. It's a bit more labour intensive but well worth it.
    I never thought of that option!
    I have not got one and have always thought of getting one.
    Thank you for the suggestion! 
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582

That looks really well done. Good stuff. Homemade naan is impressive

Please post em!
    Not too many options with Bass I’ve cooked it all ways and fried is by far the best way ...
    I did this.

Grated ginger, crushed garlic, red pepper, salt, scallions, soy and oil as a marinade.

Brushed on and broiled for 5 minutes.

Delicious.

That looks really well done. Good stuff. Homemade naan is impressive
    Thank you, was amazing. Cannot wait to eat the leftover korma tomorrow and the day after that.
    I have naan dough in the fridge, enough for two more nights (dough for 4 naans).
    I purchased naan bread in the supermarket, it was disgusting. 
    This is the first time I have made naan. Never buying it in the supermarket again. It's easy to make.
    edited October 2019

Don Pendleton does fishing?  Nice!

Not much beats fresh fish.

Please post em!
    I did this.

Grated ginger, crushed garlic, red pepper, salt, scallions, soy and oil as a marinade.

Brushed on and broiled for 5 minutes.

Delicious.
    Yes broiled good call that’s a beauty in the Picts congrats ..

I made beef rendang for the first time last night. It took like 3 hours but worth it. I'll add fewer chilis next time, I can still feel my insides burning the next day. I have always bought the paste in a jar but I've always wanted to do it all myself and finally did it. Turned out great.

Looks like it would be tender.  What sort of beef cut did that start out as?

I took some lasagna blocks out of the freezer from when I made it about a month ago.  In the oven for about 90 minutes and damn if it wasn't really good, even re-heated.  That stuff is gold.
    Two pieces and I feel like I could give birth -- the clear side effect of eating a good lasagna.

I took some lasagna blocks out of the freezer from when I made it about a month ago.  In the oven for about 90 minutes and damn if it wasn't really good, even re-heated.  That stuff is gold.
    Two pieces and I feel like I could give birth -- the clear side effect of eating a good lasagna.
    Rump steak.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

Rump steak.
    :whistle:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:

Rump steak.
      LOL.  That is why we tend to refer to it as Sirloin. 
    dankind said:

Rump steak.
      LOL.  That is why we tend to refer to it as Sirloin. 
    Sir Loins?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Action Bronson??
    Action!
    hedonist said:
    Action Bronson??
    Action!
    I had to search the internet to find out what the hell you were talking about. The only Bronson I know is Charles, and that dude up there sure as hell ain't Charles.

It's a stage name. His real name is Ariyan. Wonder why he changed it, especially looking the way he does (i.e., like a trailer bat).... :lol:
    I SAW PEARL JAM