Options

Tool

Comments

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    edited October 2019
    PJNB said:
    A couple of live debuts tonight. Putting it in the link to not spoil it for those that do not want to know. 10 songs 1hr 30 min set.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/tool/2019/discovery-park-sacramento-ca-7b9daaa4.html
    I'm hoping that this was due to being a festival setlist. 7empest will get played live and everyone will cream themselves when it happens.

Any word on the poster? And were there signed ones available?

I'm much less confident than you are about 7empest being played live. I hope you're right, and I guess we'll find out in a few days.

Why? Nothing they play is that difficult once you get the feel down and I think they’re well past that. Danny can do most of the new album in his sleep and they’ve tackled hairier material in the past. 
  • Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,427
    pjl44 said:
    scurtis said:
    Is the CD with the screen worth the big bucks?
    40ish bucks retail? Yes.
    100ish bucks secondary? No.
    I found a retailer with a few left so maybe I will pull the trigger
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,970
    Even for $100.00, it's pretty cool. There really is nothing else like it from any other band. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 804
    DewieCox said:
    PJNB said:
    A couple of live debuts tonight. Putting it in the link to not spoil it for those that do not want to know. 10 songs 1hr 30 min set.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/tool/2019/discovery-park-sacramento-ca-7b9daaa4.html
    I'm hoping that this was due to being a festival setlist. 7empest will get played live and everyone will cream themselves when it happens.

I'm much less confident than you are about 7empest being played live. I hope you're right, and I guess we'll find out in a few days.

Why? Nothing they play is that difficult once you get the feel down and I think they’re well past that. Danny can do most of the new album in his sleep and they’ve tackled hairier material in the past. 
    Depends what instrument. The guitar parts are the simplest (think the big thing in 7empest is there being different guitar parts going at the same time on occasion and Adam needing to choose what parts to play/mix together. Justin is pretty innovative but it's his tone to me that would be the hardest thing to replicate. As for nothing Danny plays being that difficult, I respectfully disagree-even if you're only talking about the drumming on Fear Inoculum. There are several reasons he's regarded as the best drummer on the planet and there are a couple of examples on the new album that reinforce that. Rosetta Stoned and Ticks remain his tours de force but I'm picking up new things I like on the album every day and that definitely includes Danny's work.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    JT167846 said:
    DewieCox said:
    PJNB said:

Depends what instrument. The guitar parts are the simplest (think the big thing in 7empest is there being different guitar parts going at the same time on occasion and Adam needing to choose what parts to play/mix together. Justin is pretty innovative but it's his tone to me that would be the hardest thing to replicate. As for nothing Danny plays being that difficult, I respectfully disagree-even if you're only talking about the drumming on Fear Inoculum. There are several reasons he's regarded as the best drummer on the planet and there are a couple of examples on the new album that reinforce that. Rosetta Stoned and Ticks remain his tours de force but I'm picking up new things I like on the album every day and that definitely includes Danny's work.
    No doubt, I just meant you can count on Carey be there rhythmically and through the most difficult passages. That’s a huge stress relief playing this type of material.  A lot of the stuff on bass and guitar you just have to put your head down until it just clicks. They make their money in the rehearsal room, honing arrangements and getting everything locked in. 

I was just stating that there’s nothing any more  complex on FI than stuff they’ve played in the past. 
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 804
    I gotcha mate. I'm a guitar hack (travel too much for it to be anything more than an occasional hobby) and aside from effects I can do half arsed jobs of most of Adam's stuff. Tool is still fun as to play especially when you go out of time and come back in time with the other instruments and playing along to their cataclysmic crescendi. Yeah I'd say it's not as much of a drum wank as some other albums-seems his showcases are going out of sync with the others instead of solos/bridges. I like how Fear Inoculum goes into a gallop in 11 but the bit after it is quite tricky to get. I did see a drum cover of Pneuma which made me rethink how impressive the drum parts were.

Moral of the story is I want to play drums like Danny. Sorry Matt.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    chittychitty Posts: 575
    chitty said:
    I am travelling to the festival tomorrow that has Tool headlining sunday. Hoping to hear a bunch of the new stuff and a few old hits. It's a pretty short set though so not sure what they can do for the new album with each song being so long....I guess time will tell
    The show was typcial Tool which is to say, it was awesome. They played from 725-850 so about 1:25. Had time for another song I thought befor a very early 9pm curfew. Anyways Invincible, my fav from FI, was epic and Pneuma as they closer was perfect. I figure a non festival show they will play one more FI song and one or two more old hits
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    DewieCox said:
    PJNB said:

It has nothing to do with the difficulty of the song, and everything to do with the length. I expect Descending to get added to the Aftershock setlist, and maybe CC Trip. That will get them closer to the usual 1:45-1:50 they normally play in a 2 hour set. I have no inside knowledge, it’s just my gut feeling. 

I hope I’m wrong, I would love to see it played live next month. 

Side note: I would love to see Part of Me next month. In a dozen shows over a 22 year span, I have yet to hear that live. 

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,740
    chitty said:
    chitty said:
    I am travelling to the festival tomorrow that has Tool headlining sunday. Hoping to hear a bunch of the new stuff and a few old hits. It's a pretty short set though so not sure what they can do for the new album with each song being so long....I guess time will tell
    The show was typcial Tool which is to say, it was awesome. They played from 725-850 so about 1:25. Had time for another song I thought befor a very early 9pm curfew. Anyways Invincible, my fav from FI, was epic and Pneuma as they closer was perfect. I figure a non festival show they will play one more FI song and one or two more old hits
    Glad you enjoyed it. I am most hyped to hear Pneuma. How did it sound?
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,470
    edited October 2019
    chitty said:
    chitty said:
    I thought they could have dropped either The Pot or Jambi to play another new track. I understand why they dropped Schism since it has a similar progression to Pneuma. It'll be interesting to see if they continue to keep Schism off the setlist. I find it hilarious that the band before Tool on the main stage, A Day To Remember, played a snippet of Schism acoustic and then said they didn't want to spoil it because Tool would probably play it later. And then they didn't. lol

All in all, can't complain. We got Part of Me and three new tracks. The visuals on all three were incredible. I still get goose bumps thinking of how Pneuma looked and sounded. It was a great closer.
    Post edited by darthvedder on
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Happy to see Tool no cell phone policy still being used. Much more fun watching a show with my own eyes rather than through someone's screen. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    chitty said:
    chitty said:
    I thought they could have dropped either The Pot or Jambi to play another new track. I understand why they dropped Schism since it has a similar progression to Pneuma. It'll be interesting to see if they continue to keep Schism off the setlist. I find it hilarious that the band before Tool on the main stage, A Day To Remember, played a snippet of Schism acoustic and then said they didn't want to spoil it because Tool would probably play it later. And then they didn't. lol

All in all, can't complain. We got Part of Me and three new tracks. The visuals on all three were incredible. I still get goose bumps thinking of how Pneuma looked and sounded. It was a great closer.
    I’m thinking the Pot may rotate w/ 1 or 2 other songs depending on the night. I would love if they kept Intolerance in the rotation, that’s another one I have yet to hear live... probably my white whale at this point. 
  • Options
    They played CCT at Governors ball but I thought it was an intermission song?!?

I would love to hear Prison Sex.  That was the song that drew me to them, maybe one day?

Intolerance would be another one I'd like to hear along w Right in 2 and Rosetta.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,113
    Happy to see Tool no cell phone policy still being used. Much more fun watching a show with my own eyes rather than through someone's screen. 

What I dont get  is people watch the  show thru their cellphones but dont zoom in.

So instead of seeing the band THIS big (holding palms two feet apart) they see the band thru their phone this big (forefinger and thumb an inch apart).

• Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,470
    It wasn't in effect at Aftershock. Impossible to enforce with that many people.
  • Options
    chittychitty Posts: 575
    edited October 2019
    PJNB said:
    chitty said:
    chitty said:
    Glad you enjoyed it. I am most hyped to hear Pneuma. How did it sound?
    As darthvedder said, it was the perfect closer and I suspect it’ll stay in that spot. The visuals were perfect and for me the outdoor festival crowd took this show to another level. Probably the strangers I were around helped in the sense we were all really into the music and the new songs had awesome reception. I was about 1/3 back from the front In the middle of a massive crowd which probably meant I had perfect sound for the show. I think I was smart by walking to the back of the crowd for Korn’s last song and then fast walking over to the Tool stage before a lot of people 
    Post edited by chitty on
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,711
    Right in two tonight 
  • Options
    manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    nicknyr15 said:
    Right in two tonight 
    🤯
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,877
    edited October 2019
    I think that was a mistake/prank
    Post edited by given2fly23 on
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,877
    Denver - FINAL SETLIST 

Fear Inoculum
    Ænema
    The Pot
    Parabol/la
    Pneuma
    Schism
    Jambi
    Vicarious
    Intolerance
    Forty Six & 2 
    CCTrip
    Invincible 
    Stinkfist
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    I got to say I am a bit disappointed from that set on paper after seeing the festival set a couple of days ago. I was hoping for more FI songs. Here is to hoping they add more as the tour goes on. 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    I got to say I am a bit disappointed from that set on paper after seeing the festival set a couple of days ago. I was hoping for more FI songs. Here is to hoping they add more as the tour goes on. 
    Same... I can’t believe Descending isn’t in there. 

Granted, it’s still 5 songs I’ve never heard played live before (including the Pot & Intolerance) but this setlist is definitely underwhelming. 
  • Options
    I think that was a mistake/prank
    Yea. That sucks 
  • Options
    LCLC North Andover, MA Posts: 256
    Pneuma and Schism sound so similar IMO...I'm surprised they played them back to back.
    8-29-00 Mansfield, 6-29-03 Montreal, 7-2-03 Mansfield, 7-3-03 Mansfield, 7-11-03, Mansfield, 9-28-04 Boston, 9-29-04 Boston, 10-8-04 Kissimmee, 9-15-05 Montreal, 9-16-05 Ottawa, 5-12-06 Albany, 5-13-06 Hartford, 5-24-06 Boston, 5-25-06 Boston, 6-28-08, Mansfield, 6-30-08 Mansfield, 5-15-10 Hartford, 5-17-10 Boston, 7-19-13 Chicago, 10-15-13 Worcester, 5-2-16 New York City, 8-5-16 Boston, 8-7-16 Boston
    EV- 2008, 2011 Boston
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Denver - FINAL SETLIST 

Fear Inoculum
    Ænema
    The Pot
    Parabol/la
    Pneuma
    Schism
    Jambi
    Vicarious
    Intolerance
    Forty Six & 2 
    CCTrip
    Invincible 
    Stinkfist
    Pneuma and Schism back to back would make me very happy
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Am I the only 1 that finds CCT annoying?
  • Options
    It is a skippable song for me though seeing it live was really cool. Not sure I need to see it live again though. 
  • Options
    I’m a drummer, I find it extremely annoying because Of the synth sequence. I wish i could edit it out because the actual drum solo is awesome and sounds incredible. B
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    I’m a drummer, I find it extremely annoying because Of the synth sequence. I wish i could edit it out because the actual drum solo is awesome and sounds incredible. B
    I agree with you.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I love that track.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014