Queens of the Stone Age

Comments

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Just listened to LC and Villains back to back on vinyl the other night and man, that would be a tough pick on which one I like more. I love how Villains ends. Two superb songs of opposite tempos. I think side A of Villains is one of my favorite album openings. Perfect mix of songs. LC is a great side A too.
    It's a hopeless situation...

• http://www.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/vinyl-me-please-queens-of-the-stone-age/
    “Our November Essentials Record of the Month is the White Whale, the record people have been asking about basically as soon as we pressed our first exclusive Record of the Month: Queens of the Stone Age’s Songs for the Deaf. Our special edition will come on colored vinyl, pressed at Pallas, and we’ll tell you about more details when we officially launch this title in late October. These will be shipped starting in the first two weeks of November.”

if the image on Reddit is what they’ll be selling... damn. (I've asked the person who posted this image on Reddit for his source as I don't see this image anywhere on vinylmeplease's website): 

• HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377

http://www.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/vinyl-me-please-queens-of-the-stone-age/
    “Our November Essentials Record of the Month is the White Whale, the record people have been asking about basically as soon as we pressed our first exclusive Record of the Month: Queens of the Stone Age’s Songs for the Deaf. Our special edition will come on colored vinyl, pressed at Pallas, and we’ll tell you about more details when we officially launch this title in late October. These will be shipped starting in the first two weeks of November.”

if the image on Reddit is what they’ll be selling... damn. (I've asked the person who posted this image on Reddit for his source as I don't see this image anywhere on vinylmeplease's website): 

That's the image used in an email from QOTSA. Email also stated:

Additional vinyl options will be made available and announced shortly. 

• Hobbes said:

I saw that too. I signed up for the vinylmeplease package anyway... $81 for this, Flaming Lips’ Soft Bulletin & Aretha Franklin is a pretty good deal IMO. This colored release could also be limited to this club, so I’m in! 
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    Hobbes said:

I saw that too. I signed up for the vinylmeplease package anyway... $81 for this, Flaming Lips’ Soft Bulletin & Aretha Franklin is a pretty good deal IMO. This colored release could also be limited to this club, so I’m in! 
    What Aretha? Now I'm interested again. 
  • “Our December Essentials Record of the Month is Aretha Franklin’s masterpiece, I Never Loved A Man The Way I Love You, which teaches everyone a little bit about R-E-S-P-E-C-T. This one will come on colored vinyl as well, and we can’t wait to share other details with you when we launch this title in late November. These will be shipped starting in the first two weeks of December.”

You have to sign up for 3 months & all three releases, but if there’s one you don’t want, you can substitute for a prior release. $27 each for those three records is a steal IMO. 

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited September 2019
    Hobbes said:

Yeah, with the Flaming Lips album now I'm tempted to reactivate my account... I already have the original red version of SFTD though, so that one is a bit of a wash for me. But there is no affordable option for the Flaming Lips vinyl unless they are planning a bigger reissue on black soon, which is entirely possible. These coloured Vinyl Me Please exclusives are often followed by a wider black release.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,817
    PJ_Soul said:
    Hobbes said:

Yeah, with the Flaming Lips album now I'm tempted to reactivate my account... I already have the original red version of SFTD though, so that one is a bit of a wash for me. But there is no affordable option for the Flaming Lips vinyl unless they are planning a bigger reissue on black soon, which is entirely possible. These coloured Vinyl Me Please exclusives are often followed by a wider black release.
    I'll just throw this out there in case someone would be interested, but if anyone signs up for this and DOESNT want Songs for the Deaf, I will gladly buy it off of you.
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022

QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE
    Queens of the Stone Age

HIGH-QUALITY 180GRAM VINYL EDITIONS COMING SOON

AVAILABLE NOVEMBER 22

• HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Hobbes said:

QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE
    Queens of the Stone Age

HIGH-QUALITY 180GRAM VINYL EDITIONS COMING SOON

AVAILABLE NOVEMBER 22

Hahahaha just came here to post this.

#FHP
    Oops. I failed to copy/paste the entire message.

Rated R and Songs are available Nov. 22.

Lullabies and Era are available Dec. 20.
    It was a nice email to receive first thing in the morning. 
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Already snagged the VMP thing but I’ll probably be in for Era Vulgaria on 12” and Lullabies if they’re as nice as it seems they should be.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384

Nice!

All I need is Rated R and Lullabies to finish off my QOTSA vinyl collection (once the VMP SFTD arrives that is).  

• petted101petted101 Posts: 188
    the single disc Era will be nice. the triple 10" is too much work to bother with.
  • So, spring for the red or wait for the black?
    So, spring for the red or wait for the black?
    I'd love the red, but I don't want to join that club.  
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited October 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    The other two albums made this one a no brainer for me. My three favorite albums by the respective artists. 

What I've been able to listen to of The Soft Bulletin so far is just beautiful. Plus the used copies I've bought of VMP titles in record stores have been top quality.

Edit: Oh, and did you see the 50th anniversary Let It Bleed Coke bottle clear pressing they have coming out? I have the Clearly Classic reissue, but this one looks nice as well. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,888
    Scored an original pressing of Lullabies To Paralyze from the QOTSA store when they posted some warehouse finds back in May, and just rejoined VMP for SFTD. Looking forward to picking up the Rated R and Era Vulgaris reissues to complete all the studio albums.
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    The other two albums made this one a no brainer for me. My three favorite albums by the respective artists. 

What I've been able to listen to of The Soft Bulletin so far is just beautiful. Plus the used copies I've bought of VMP titles in record stores have been top quality.

Edit: Oh, and did you see the 50th anniversary Let It Bleed Coke bottle clear pressing they have coming out? I have the Clearly Classic reissue, but this one looks nice as well. 
    I did note see that.  Is that on VMP?  I have an original and the clearly vinyl.  They are both great in their own way.  It's my favorite Stones album (I don't count exile because it has so many songs, it's impossible not to be the best).  
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:

Answering my own question.  I just looked it up and it's the Bob Ludwig pressing so it should sound the same as the version you already have.  The difference is the place of pressing.  This one will be pressed at TMR which is awesome.  But being the same mix probably means a pass.  
    It seems like they are doing what Newbury does.  They take existing stampers and put them to new pressings and drop in the colored pills for the color.  
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    mrussel1 said:
    I also want that red vinyl, but it seems you have to join for a minimum of 3 months :(  I don't want the other 2 vinyl.    They do seem to have a store that has some colour vinyl in it.   Maybe they post leftovers to their store?
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    edited November 2019

So if you have to recommend a QOTSA song to someone, what is your go to song? 

I usually recommend "If I had a Tail".  

No one knows... I think that's pretty accessible
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958

Would've said Little Sister for a while but The Way You Used To Do may have overtaken it
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876

I Appear Missing. It's next level. 

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Listened to Sessions 11&12.  Loved it!
  • SpartanacusSpartanacus San Diego Posts: 794

I love all their albums equally, but for people who have never heard them, I start at the beginning...there aren't many (if any) debut albums that hit as beautifully hard from the start as the ST album does with Regular John and Avon.  QOTSA used to be my musical mistress (to my former favorites Pearl Jam)...but since PJ are basically retired (yet still taking my $20 a year), QOTSA are far and away my favorite band of all time.    
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    edited November 2019

I love all their albums equally, but for people who have never heard them, I start at the beginning...there aren't many (if any) debut albums that hit as beautifully hard from the start as the ST album does with Regular John and Avon.  QOTSA used to be my musical mistress (to my former favorites Pearl Jam)...but since PJ are basically retired (yet still taking my $20 a year), QOTSA are far and away my favorite band of all time.    

Pearl Jam still will always hold the top spot on my favorite bands of all time list, but I'm very much drawn to bands and musicians that I think are still passionate about the music and the craft.   With the exception of Mike and Jeff, I don't see the passion to create in the rest of the band.  I don't know what goes on behind closed doors, but that is my take. 

Nick Cave is making records that are different than his earlier stuff and then movie scores.  Trent Reznor is doing these concept albums and then doing these awesome movie scores.  Josh Homme shows up in a lot of different bands.  They are passionate about the music and it makes me like their stuff that much more.  I will give their music the benefit of the doubt and several listens because I know passion went into it. 

• pages_in_a_bookpages_in_a_book Dallas, TX Posts: 55
    Anyone else feel like the new clips from Dance of the Clairvoyants hint at Pearl Jam heading down a similar path of reinvention that Queens of the Stone Age went down for Like Clockwork and Villains? I loved how QOTSA managed to bring in retro synth sounds and a more atmospheric sound while still being 100% QOTSA. Pearl Jam may be up to something similar, and I'm loving it!
    something to remember me by
    1998--Dallas--Knoxville
    2000--New Orleans--Memphis--Nashville--Indianapolis--Cincinnati--Columbus--Detroit--Chicago--Eddie at Ralph Nadar Rally--St. Louis--Kansas City--Houston x2--Dallas--Lubbock
    2003--San Antonio--Dallas
    2020--The Long Road to OKC #20