Queens of the Stone Age

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited June 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    Like Clockwork > Villains 
    I agree, but it's still a pretty close race IMO. They are both excellent.
    It might be that clockwork is a 45
    Not for me. Actually, that annoys me a little bit, because I ALWAYS start that album off in slo-mo, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,390
    Tough one... on one hand, I don’t skip any tracks on Villains (I’m not a fan of Keep your Eyes Peeled), but OTOH, there aren’t any songs on Villains that I like as much as My God is the Sun, I sat by the Ocean, Fair Weather Friends or I Appear Missing (probably my favorite QOTSA song after In the Fade).

Both are fantastic albums. 
    Tough one... on one hand, I don’t skip any tracks on Villains (I’m not a fan of Keep your Eyes Peeled), but OTOH, there aren’t any songs on Villains that I like as much as My God is the Sun, I sat by the Ocean, Fair Weather Friends or I Appear Missing (probably my favorite QOTSA song after In the Fade).

Although... the Evil has Landed and Villains of Circumstance come close. 
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Like Clockwork for me by a pretty wide margin. Head Like A Haunted House is an absolute momentum murderer.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    PJ_Soul said:
    I agree, but it's still a pretty close race IMO. They are both excellent.
    also agree. Very close but slight edge to Clockwork
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    DewieCox said:
    Like Clockwork for me by a pretty wide margin. Head Like A Haunted House is an absolute momentum murderer.
    It’s one of my favorite songs on that album! 
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    They are like Nirvana for me. Great in small doses 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Like Clockwork is an A.  Villains is a B.
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    DewieCox said:
    Yes
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722
    excuse me, but

Un-Reborn Again
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,848
    Mike D88 said:
    excuse me, but

Un-Reborn Again
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,848
    Un-Reborn Again... love that song...
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

Mike D88 said:
    excuse me, but

Un-Reborn Again
    It’s amazing. 
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602

Oh man,  I love how Eyes Peeled starts the record with that vicious bass groove.  It sets the mood for the whole album, and it's such a great pressing.  I dig clockwork much more than villains 
  • petted101petted101 Posts: 188
    Fortress is just unlistenable.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Mike D88 said:
    excuse me, but

Un-Reborn Again
    Great live too.  Love that one.
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Something about this one 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZafH1qXKxMg
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195

Almost 2 years later, and Villains is still one of the foremost albums in my current rotation. I've listened more times than I can count, and I still can't get enough of it. (listened to it twice through to start my work day this morning)

I love every QOTSA album in it's own right... some more than others of course, and I could never pick a favorite, but God damn, Villains is perfection.

Side Note: I'll never understand how people don't like Era Vulgaris... That's a play through album for me, I don't skip a single song.

I love Era Vulgaris and Villains. Two of my favorites for sure. Both albums are a straight through listen each time.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    petted101 said:
    Fortress is just unlistenable.
    Oh man, I really like that one and how it ends. Beautiful song.
    It's a hopeless situation...

In the last couple of days, I've gone back to listen to Like Clockwork specifically with the intention of comparing it to Villains as an entire work. I've always enjoyed the album, but it was never one that grabbed me when played front to back... and it still doesn't, at least not as a complete album.

I may be in the minority here, but I think Villains is a better album than LC. It simply flows better front to back.

LC has some really amazing songs, but I just can't  get into Keep Your Eyes Peeled, and Smooth Sailing is a tremendous momentum killer for me (I like the song in and of itself, I just don't like it where it is on that album). Every other song is a home run IMO.

The heavy lyrical content is also tough to get through on some days... I Appear Missing is probably my all time favorite QOTSA song (maybe tied w/ In The Fade if I'm being honest), but it's also depressing AF... knowing the lyrical content, I need to be in a specific place to enjoy it.

Villains IMO is a more upbeat album, so my current frame of mind (one that's desperate for positivity) is definitely playing a role in how I'm listening to them right now.

To me, Villains is a better album from start to finish, which is weird because I think I like individual songs from LC more than any individual songs from Villains.

One thing's for sure, I f'ng love this band, and Josh Hommes has become one of my all time favorite song writers. No one writes songs like that guy.

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602

In the last couple of days, I've gone back to listen to Like Clockwork specifically with the intention of comparing it to Villains as an entire work. I've always enjoyed the album, but it was never one that grabbed me when played front to back... and it still doesn't, at least not as a complete album.

I may be in the minority here, but I think Villains is a better album than LC. It simply flows better front to back.

LC has some really amazing songs, but I just can't  get into Keep Your Eyes Peeled, and Smooth Sailing is a tremendous momentum killer for me (I like the song in and of itself, I just don't like it where it is on that album). Every other song is a home run IMO.

The heavy lyrical content is also tough to get through on some days... I Appear Missing is probably my all time favorite QOTSA song (maybe tied w/ In The Fade if I'm being honest), but it's also depressing AF... knowing the lyrical content, I need to be in a specific place to enjoy it.

Villains IMO is a more upbeat album, so my current frame of mind (one that's desperate for positivity) is definitely playing a role in how I'm listening to them right now.

To me, Villains is a better album from start to finish, which is weird because I think I like individual songs from LC more than any individual songs from Villains.

One thing's for sure, I f'ng love this band, and Josh Hommes has become one of my all time favorite song writers. No one writes songs like that guy.

He's a hard rock guy that is a total sucker for a pop hook.  I love him too.  I think LC is far superior, but that's how you know a band is good, when fans disagree on the albums.  No clear winner.  
    mrussel1 said:

He's a hard rock guy that is a total sucker for a pop hook.  I love him too.  I think LC is far superior, but that's how you know a band is good, when fans disagree on the albums.  No clear winner.  
    Agreed.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    mrussel1 said:

Well said. My favorite album of theirs changes all the time. Great band!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    I still think their best album was the first album.  Followed by Lullabies
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • petted101petted101 Posts: 188
    Queens are doing a mystery sale in their UK shop. 3 shirts and an accessory for £25. Not a bad deal if you didn't get that Finsbury Park shirt or complete the trading card collection.

https://ukstore.qotsa.com/collections/unisex/products/mystery-grab-bag-mens
    I would prefer another QOTSA album, but Grohl & Hommes together have yet to disappoint me, so I’m looking forward to this. 

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/06/josh-homme-dave-grohl-billy-gibbons/

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    I would prefer another QOTSA album, but Grohl & Hommes together have yet to disappoint me, so I’m looking forward to this. 

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/06/josh-homme-dave-grohl-billy-gibbons/

Whoa this is awesome. I would have preferred they get back together with John Paul Jones for another Them Crooked Vultures album, but I'll take this instead. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com

I think Like Clockwork is better but I see where you're coming from. Villains does seems like an entire work a little more than LC does. LC sounds more like a collection of songs....but a collection of better songs (in my opinion) than Villains has. 

Villains does have some great song titles though: The Evil Has Landed and Villains of Circumstance are great titles. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:

I think Like Clockwork is better but I see where you're coming from. Villains does seems like an entire work a little more than LC does. LC sounds more like a collection of songs....but a collection of better songs (in my opinion) than Villains has. 

Villains does have some great song titles though: The Evil Has Landed and Villains of Circumstance are great titles. 
    TEHL & VOC are as good as anything they’ve written IMO, but yeah, I also agree LC had more great songs than Villians. 

Whatever, it’s all subjective to begin with, so none of us are wrong! 

TEHL & VOC are as good as anything they’ve written IMO, but yeah, I also agree LC had more great songs than Villians. 

Whatever, it’s all subjective to begin with, so none of us are wrong! 
    They've never put out anything but good albums, and it seems like fans' preferences are all over the map. It would take some mental gymnastics, but I can maybe argue that Era Vulgaris is their best album. It's not, so I'm not going to bother making that argument. But I love that album.

Pearl Jam bootlegs: