Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Give Peas A Chance…
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929

Probably your most mature and relevant post on this thread.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I agree with Singh - I hope he gets impeached, too, and I don’t have a problem with Singh saying it. In the unlikely event that he gets elected and trump is still president, could be a little awkward, though. 

https://apple.news/AuafQCl6ARuGgkrrIp6Otcg
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited October 2019
    I agree with Singh - I hope he gets impeached, too, and I don’t have a problem with Singh saying it. In the unlikely event that he gets elected and trump is still president, could be a little awkward, though. 

Trudeau and Scheer would both have to become incapacitated or die for Singh to be elected, honestly. Sad but true.

So how 'bout this news about Scheer having a dual Canada/USA passport???? That seems like a big deal to me, but it's not getting much attention, really. Can you imagine if it was Trudeau and not Scheer? The Con voters would be losing their minds, lol. Or even worse, if it was Singh? Or imagine it was Singh with a Canada/India dual citizenship! People would be losing their shit. But FWIW, I really don't think a PM should have dual citizenship. It could create conflicts of interests, obviously. I wouldn't be okay with this no matter who it was.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    edited October 2019
    PJ_Soul said:

Trudeau and Scheer would both have to become incapacitated or die for Singh to be elected, honestly. Sad but true.

So how 'bout this news about Scheer having a dual Canada/USA passport???? That seems like a big deal to me, but it's not getting much attention, really. Can you imagine if it was Trudeau and not Scheer? The Con voters would be losing their minds, lol. Or even worse, if it was Singh? Or imagine it was Singh with a Canada/India dual citizenship! People would be losing their shit. But FWIW, I really don't think a PM should have dual citizenship. It could create conflicts of interests, obviously. I wouldn't be okay with this no matter who it was.
    Dual citizenship doesn't bother me. 

I've been hearing things about Scheer's slim resume though. I haven't really been paying attention but it sounds like before politics the man never really had a real job. I admittedly heard it second hand so maybe someone else has more info about him that could clear it up. I did a quick google search and found nothing.

Edit:  https://www.narcity.com/news/ca/what-did-andrew-scheer-do-before-politics-insurance-wasnt-his-only-job

Before politics it looks like he never had a full time job. Yikes.
    Post edited by dignin on
    PJ_Soul said:

I agree.  No Canadian politician should have dual citizenship.  But unlike the US I don’t think most Canadians feel this is an issue...likely because lots of Canadians have dual citizenship.  The Green Party leader is an American.   I have not heard any criticism directed at her.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I've been hearing things about Scheer's slim resume though. I haven't really been paying attention but it sounds like before politics the man never really had a real job. I admittedly heard it second hand so maybe someone else has more info about him that could clear it up. I did a quick google search and found nothing.

Edit:  https://www.narcity.com/news/ca/what-did-andrew-scheer-do-before-politics-insurance-wasnt-his-only-job

If I was ever going to entertain voting for Scheer then his resume would bother me, but as I am not, it’s just another minus on his balance sheet. 

I’m unsure on the relevance of the dual citizenship. Yes, the potential for bias and divided loyalties is there, but I think anyone going through all the trouble to run and get elected in Canada likely has fairly strong allegiance to Canada, and if not, it would probably become obvious. 

According to CBC Sheer has criticized other politicians with dual citenship.  Neither Trudeau or Sheer are who they say they are.  But here we go again...another 4 years of liberal/con rule.  

Canada needs a legit 3rd party that will straddle the middle...not to far right or left...another Chrétien and Martin duo would suit me fine.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    LMFAO...true dat.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Sheer is pro-life. Pro-life people protesting in my neighborhood on the weekend. I have never seen them protesting before, ever. Multiple locations even.....People should be very worried about Sheer.

Doug sold black hash, not pot.
    edited October 2019
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:

If I was ever going to entertain voting for Scheer then his resume would bother me, but as I am not, it’s just another minus on his balance sheet. 

I’m unsure on the relevance of the dual citizenship. Yes, the potential for bias and divided loyalties is there, but I think anyone going through all the trouble to run and get elected in Canada likely has fairly strong allegiance to Canada, and if not, it would probably become obvious. 

For me it seems like something where we shouldn't even take the chance. I actually feel like it shouldn't be allowed by law. If his allegiance to Canada is so strong, then I think he should give up his American citizenship.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:

For me it seems like something where we shouldn't even take the chance. I actually feel like it shouldn't be allowed by law. If his allegiance to Canada is so strong, then I think he should give up his American citizenship.
    But isn't he? That's what he's said, in any case - that the process of revoking his American citizenship is already underway and has been since August. It's fair to question why it took so long for him to apply, but it seems to already be happening.
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:

But isn't he? That's what he's said, in any case - that the process of revoking his American citizenship is already underway and has been since August. It's fair to question why it took so long for him to apply, but it seems to already be happening.
    Is he? If so, then good. Otherwise I would have felt it should disqualify him.
    Yes, I am troubled by the fact that we only found out he has American citizenship this late in the game. I wonder what else he's hiding?That stuff about his work experience is also very troubling........ Surely nobody is going to be surprised if/when it becomes very clear that he's full of shit.
    Sheer is pro-life. Pro-life people protesting in my neighborhood on the weekend. I have never seen them protesting before, ever. Multiple locations even.....People should be very worried about Sheer.

So you are saying Ford was ahead of his time...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Sheer is pro-life. Pro-life people protesting in my neighborhood on the weekend. I have never seen them protesting before, ever. Multiple locations even.....People should be very worried about Sheer.

Hash comes from Cannabis...so no biggie. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
    There are plenty of liberals and dippers that possess dual citizenship or hold 2 passports.

Sheer did not disclose who he was.  The same for Trudeau.

Trudeau is less popular than Trump...lmfao.  That takes some real talent.

Give Peas A Chance…
    I'm talking about the PM, not just any random politician.
    No politician in Canada should possess dual citizenship or a passport to another country.  I am not OK with dual citizenship especially when it comes to the Chinese...how 'bout we just pass a law banning people with dual citizenship from holding public office.  Problem solved.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    edited October 2019
    No politician in Canada should possess dual citizenship or a passport to another country.  I am not OK with dual citizenship especially when it comes to the Chinese...how 'bout we just pass a law banning people with dual citizenship from holding public office.  Problem solved.
    Interesting. As a Canadian who was born to a Canadian and a landed immigrant from the States who had lived in Toronto for 15 years already but am technically a dual citizen because of that, that feels pretty bizarre. I don't identify as American one bit (although I care about it deeply). The dual citizen rule in the States is actually more upsetting to me - I'd go into American politics if I was able to. With that said though, not living there, cultural differences would probably be a non-starter.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    benjs said:
    Interesting. As a Canadian who was born to a Canadian and a landed immigrant from the States who had lived in Toronto for 15 years already but am technically a dual citizen because of that, that feels pretty bizarre. I don't identify as American one bit (although I care about it deeply). The dual citizen rule in the States is actually more upsetting to me - I'd go into American politics if I was able to. With that said though, not living there, cultural differences would probably be a non-starter.
    Then where do you draw the line?  In our system the leader of a party usually comes from a current MP.  Sheer says he is dropping his US citizenship...we will see.  I doubt this issue is all that big a deal to most Canadians...me included.  There are a lot of dual passport, dual citizenship holders, like yourself.

May is a American.  Mulcair had dual citizenship.  It’s only an issue because it’s Sheer.

Or i should say it’s only an issue when it your opponent.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    after watching that, and seeing how he held himself over the last few weeks, singh seems to be the only one i trust. i'm not even that high on JT anymore. too bad JS is basically a split vote. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited October 2019
    Not living in Quebec and therefore not paying attention to the Bloc Party, but after watching the debate I think it’s somewhat unfortunate Yves-Francois Blanchet isn’t the leader of a political party of federal relevance. I liked his approach and composure (he seems to want to be a partner in confederation while looking out for Quebec interests, very forthright).
    Having said that, I was impressed with Singh. He held his composure and has a certain charisma the other leaders are lacking. 
    I never base my vote on a leaders debate (I research party platforms and my potential MPs in my riding of Calgary Confederation) but I have to say it reaffirmed my less-than positive opinions on Trudeau, Scheer, Bernier and May. 
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
    What should be obvious is that we need a legit 3rd party in this country.  The Cons and Liberal have run this country far to long.  The NDP and Greens are fringe at best.  The bloc has no business at the debate...

I suspect after the election the PPC will have no seats.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • This hit the news today. The older I get the more I understand just how f'd up our planet is. I will be long dead before the real shit hits the fan, but one thing is for sure today....I will not stand by and not care about the environment. If you are not part of the solution then you are part of the problem.

The Canadian Press :

Conservatives refuse to participate in national climate debate

OTTAWA ” A national debate on climate change that had been planned for next week has been cancelled because the Conservatives refused to participate.

The University of Ottawa's Smart Prosperity Institute was set to host the debate Oct. 16 in conjunction with Climate Action Network Canada.

Invitations were sent out Sept. 9 asking the Liberals, NDP, Greens and Conservatives to send any of their nominated candidates from across the country.

The first three signed up immediately.

The Conservatives initially signalled an intention to participate but on Wednesday told the organizers they couldn't find anyone.

This hit the news today. The older I get the more I understand just how f'd up our planet is. I will be long dead before the real shit hits the fan, but one thing is for sure today....I will not stand by and not care about the environment. If you are not part of the solution then you are part of the problem.

The Canadian Press :

OTTAWA ” A national debate on climate change that had been planned for next week has been cancelled because the Conservatives refused to participate.

The University of Ottawa's Smart Prosperity Institute was set to host the debate Oct. 16 in conjunction with Climate Action Network Canada.

Invitations were sent out Sept. 9 asking the Liberals, NDP, Greens and Conservatives to send any of their nominated candidates from across the country.

The Conservatives initially signalled an intention to participate but on Wednesday told the organizers they couldn't find anyone.

Why cancel it, I wonder? Would have been more effective to go ahead and highlight the fact that they are not participating. Climate change doesn't stop just because some people refuse to acknowledge it.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    This hit the news today. The older I get the more I understand just how f'd up our planet is. I will be long dead before the real shit hits the fan, but one thing is for sure today....I will not stand by and not care about the environment. If you are not part of the solution then you are part of the problem.

The Canadian Press :

Why cancel it, I wonder? Would have been more effective to go ahead and highlight the fact that they are not participating. Climate change doesn't stop just because some people refuse to acknowledge it.
    and even further, they should have had an empty podium with the conservative logo on it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• herogroundzeroherogroundzero Posts: 366
    edited October 2019
    Indeed!
    It's so crazy to me why anyone or any party should/would shy away from this important issue. 
    Sheer and Trump are one and the same regarding the environment. They don't think it's a problem....
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    dignin said:
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    And to you, eh! 

As luck would have it, I’m in the US this weekend. No turkey for me :(.