Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,496
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I've always found it odd people saying "not my president" or "not my pm". even when it was trump, it sounded very whiny to me. yes, he IS your prime minister, whether you like it or not. you live in canada, he is the PM of canada. ergo he is your pm. I don't recall ever saying that harper wasn't my prime minister just because I thought he was an out of touch misogynist POS. 

Yes, in a legal sense his is my PM, but he doesn’t speak for me anymore (I’m a nation of one, lol!), and is a straight up embarrassment to me. I have tried to give him chance after chance to show he’s not the narcissistic blowhard he presents as, but he’s proven me wrong every time.

He says he’s not calling in the military, but can we give that statement any credibility given his history of flip flopping when it suits his purposes (the current issue of vaccine mandates being a prime example).
    What options does the federal govt have to break down the protest, short of emergency powers?
    Apparently our federal police force isn’t allowed to enforce local or provincial laws unless contracted to do so. (This makes no sense to me and flies in the face of what I was taught when I briefly studied law enforcement at college.) This will give them jurisdiction apparently, and allow Trudeau’s cabinet to act without seeking authorization from the legislature (dangerous for a minority government).

One of the worst parts of this has been that apparently when people actually engage in discussion with the protesters progress can be made. But “our” “leader” ruled that out before anyone pulled into town. And now this.
    So I’m not clear… there are no tools short of emergency powers or there are?

And what’s to discuss?  You can’t give them anything close to their demands.  That’s simply not an option.  Otherwise you’re straight into mob rules.  
    Honestly, it's not really clear what the plan is.  If there's one thing this government excels at it's being opaque.  Today the Conservatives tabled a motion calling on the government to give some sort of road map out of covid.  The Liberals (government) laughed as they voted against the motion.  Before the unnecessary election we had in the summer the government was suing the Speaker of The House Of Commons to prevent the lawful release of documents (likely one of the main reasons the election was called, the order to produce the papers died with parliament).
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,852
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I've always found it odd people saying "not my president" or "not my pm". even when it was trump, it sounded very whiny to me. yes, he IS your prime minister, whether you like it or not. you live in canada, he is the PM of canada. ergo he is your pm. I don't recall ever saying that harper wasn't my prime minister just because I thought he was an out of touch misogynist POS. 

Yes, in a legal sense his is my PM, but he doesn’t speak for me anymore (I’m a nation of one, lol!), and is a straight up embarrassment to me. I have tried to give him chance after chance to show he’s not the narcissistic blowhard he presents as, but he’s proven me wrong every time.

He says he’s not calling in the military, but can we give that statement any credibility given his history of flip flopping when it suits his purposes (the current issue of vaccine mandates being a prime example).
    What options does the federal govt have to break down the protest, short of emergency powers?
    Apparently our federal police force isn’t allowed to enforce local or provincial laws unless contracted to do so. (This makes no sense to me and flies in the face of what I was taught when I briefly studied law enforcement at college.) This will give them jurisdiction apparently, and allow Trudeau’s cabinet to act without seeking authorization from the legislature (dangerous for a minority government).

One of the worst parts of this has been that apparently when people actually engage in discussion with the protesters progress can be made. But “our” “leader” ruled that out before anyone pulled into town. And now this.

And what’s to discuss?  You can’t give them anything close to their demands.  That’s simply not an option.  Otherwise you’re straight into mob rules.  
    Honestly, it's not really clear what the plan is.  If there's one thing this government excels at it's being opaque.  Today the Conservatives tabled a motion calling on the government to give some sort of road map out of covid.  The Liberals (government) laughed as they voted against the motion.  Before the unnecessary election we had in the summer the government was suing the Speaker of The House Of Commons to prevent the lawful release of documents (likely one of the main reasons the election was called, the order to produce the papers died with parliament).
    So from an outsider view, I can see obtaining emergency powers since it doesn’t seem to clear how the federal govt can open the streets without the use of the powers.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

So from an outsider view, I can see obtaining emergency powers since it doesn’t seem to clear how the federal govt can open the streets without the use of the powers.  
    Trudeau has failed to prove the case that the criteria for enacting essentially dictatorial powers has been met.  And the further-left party's leader has already said he'll support this, giving the minority government enough votes to survive.

As I said, talking seems to work.  The mayor of Ottawa brokered a deal that got the rigs out of residential neighbourhoods, police in Toronto were able to negotiate a smooth dispersal of the crowds and trucks last weekend.  Trudeau is the one being oobstinate here, unwilling to even acknowledge the other side (he lumps their concerns in with all Canadians' covid ennui), he's been busy stirring people up since he reversed his stance on mandates somewhere between June and August.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Trudeau has failed to prove the case that the criteria for enacting essentially dictatorial powers has been met.  And the further-left party's leader has already said he'll support this, giving the minority government enough votes to survive.

As I said, talking seems to work.  The mayor of Ottawa brokered a deal that got the rigs out of residential neighbourhoods, police in Toronto were able to negotiate a smooth dispersal of the crowds and trucks last weekend.  Trudeau is the one being oobstinate here, unwilling to even acknowledge the other side (he lumps their concerns in with all Canadians' covid ennui), he's been busy stirring people up since he reversed his stance on mandates somewhere between June and August.
    If the Ottawa mayor was successful, why are they still in Ottawa?  

Here in Richmond, during the summer of George Floyd protests, a handful of BLM protesters blocked I-95 downtown, snarling traffic.  They were immediately arrested.  Some people around here defended their actions, but not me.  Your cause does not supersede my need to go to work, pick up my kid, etc.  Civil disobedience is fine so long as you are prepared to do the time.  Two weeks is far past time and these yahoos should be removed, forcibly if necessary.  
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Trudeau has negotiated with protestors.  A few years back Marc Miller negotiated with indigenous groups to end an indigenous rail blockade...so there is precedence.  To answer protestors' calls for an end to government overreach by adding more government overreach is laughable.

Blockade continues despite 'modest progress' made in talks between federal minister and Tyendinaga Mohawk | CBC News
    We're setting the new precedent at the moment.  If there's any consolation, now that they're turning back foreign actors at the border, no more visits (and stern lectures) from Greta!  Oh wait, she's with the righteous, lol.
    These anti protest emergency powers only apply to protest that Trudeau don’t like…that’s all this is about, quieting his opponents.  You and I both know this is sad day for Canada…and people who’s opinion matter more than most have said it’s wrong…including Brian Peckford.

will he use these to finally end the pipeline blockade?  We only paid 15 billion for it.

Also we are not the USA we do not police like the US…

The police successfully reopened the ambassador bridge with very little incidents…15 arrest.  But no one got hurt.  That’s the way to do it…not by draconian measures…

Let’s not forget Ford was in lockstep with Trudeau these entire 2 years…he is gone in a June…

but at least Quebec, Alberta, Saskatchewan and thevManitoba premier had their citizens back…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

If the Ottawa mayor was successful, why are they still in Ottawa?  

Here in Richmond, during the summer of George Floyd protests, a handful of BLM protesters blocked I-95 downtown, snarling traffic.  They were immediately arrested.  Some people around here defended their actions, but not me.  Your cause does not supersede my need to go to work, pick up my kid, etc.  Civil disobedience is fine so long as you are prepared to do the time.  Two weeks is far past time and these yahoos should be removed, forcibly if necessary.  
    The main protests have been in front of Parliament which is downtown.  The mayor got the rigs out of more suburban type areas.  My sister lives in Ottawa but I've avoided calling her because I do support (the cause of) these protests and she worships at the altar of Trudeau (she was disappointed in my parents that they weren't voting for him in the last election).  My point was simply that engaging in dialogue can produce good results,  but like a certain ex-President our guy refuses to engage outside of his echo chamber. 

• Options
    The most hateful, divisive prick to ever become prime minister invokes the emergency measures act to silence his opponents with the help of many of the premiers and he did this on Valentines Day, he so loves us…oh the irony.

the windsor and Coutts protestors are not associated with the Ottawa group…the Ottawa group says they are not leaving…

Too bad the fearful people would not just learn to live the virus…and politicians are playing on peoples fear…

90% of Canadians are vaccinated and Trudeau thinks we will do better than that…this guy needs to get off his unicorn and quit snorting fairy dust…

and I’ve not seen one public health doctor or politician in a Ontario promote getting physically healthy throughout this pandemic I’m sure some have…but none that I saw.  I can say this there is a lot of fat unhealthy people out there…they don’t seem to care much for there own health…but they love to scream anti-vaxxer…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    This must be the tolerant left I keep hearing about.  She’s so proud of herself she won’t show her face.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,306
    Trudeau has negotiated with protestors.  A few years back Marc Miller negotiated with indigenous groups to end an indigenous rail blockade...so there is precedence.  To answer protestors' calls for an end to government overreach by adding more government overreach is laughable.

Blockade continues despite 'modest progress' made in talks between federal minister and Tyendinaga Mohawk | CBC News
    We're setting the new precedent at the moment.  If there's any consolation, now that they're turning back foreign actors at the border, no more visits (and stern lectures) from Greta!  Oh wait, she's with the righteous, lol.
    What did Greta do that was illegal?
  • Options
  • Options
    erebus said:

Yep, your typical everyday farmer guns

Yup, nothing to see here.

Perfectly peaceful. 
  • Options
    dignin said:

What did the people that have been stopped at the border done illegally other than apparently express a desire to join a political protest here?  Greta led a protest. While we're tackling foreign influence maybe we can also discuss interference in our last election by the Chinese government (still waiting on a Huawei decision too)?

• Options
    mrussel1 said:

Try and  get almost 75% of people in any large country to agree on anything.

These asshats are uniting Canada, against them.

Good job, keep it up.
  • Options
    dignin said:

What did the people that have been stopped at the border done illegally other than apparently express a desire to join a political protest here?  Greta led a protest. While we're tackling foreign influence maybe we can also discuss interference in our last election by the Chinese government (still waiting on a Huawei decision too)?
    For the last time, these are not legal protests. Why do you keep brushing over that. People are bringing illegal weapons to these occupations.

Greta participates in legal protests.
  • Options
    If I tried to cross the border into the states and told them the purpose of my visit was to engage in illegal activity you really think they would let me in?

Where is the common sense here.

I thought conservatives were all about the rule of law?
  • Options
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:

Good job, keep it up.
    Pretty much an equal number blame Trudeau for being exacerbator prime, don't leave that part out. 

I'm still holding this group (the Ottawa protestors) to the same standards I've seen applied to other,  more politically correct protests. Today a statue was toppled and covered in paint in Vancouver. No fear or word of arrests from Lisa Laflamme, I wonder why? Imagine the reaction if such an act occurred in Ottawa. 

• Options

AUPE looks to Supreme Court in fight against Alberta's critical infrastructure defence law

Until the Supreme Court rules these are not illegal just because a dictator premier or prime minister feels inconvenienced…kind of what separates us from China … 

We shall find out in the future now..

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

You think an industry that makes their money off sick people is going to give you a shot that makes you super healthy..Hahahe.  Not likely.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:

Good job, keep it up.
    Pretty much an equal number blame Trudeau for being exacerbator prime, don't leave that part out. 

I'm still holding this group (the Ottawa protestors) to the same standards I've seen applied to other,  more politically correct protests. Today a statue was toppled and covered in paint in Vancouver. No fear or word of arrests from Lisa Laflamme, I wonder why? Imagine the reaction if such an act occurred in Ottawa. 
    It sounds like you care more for a statue than you do for the citizens of Ottawa who have been terrorized for going on 3 weeks.

• Options
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:

Good job, keep it up.

It sounds like you care more for a statue than you do for the citizens of Ottawa who have been terrorized for going on 3 weeks.

I simply want the same anger shown towards the Ottawa protesters (before they even arrived) shown towards this group, and all other riotous groups. I guess those FN women had the good sense to illegally pull down a statue of a dead white guy with an imperfect past. Read that how you will.

• Options
    End all mandate pointless mandates…simple problem goes away.  

Trudeau has been using federal money to coerce the premier to force bussshit mandates on people.  There is your fucking problem.  Not the protestors.

it really is as simple as that,  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
  • Options
    Breaking News:  Liberal Party propose new flag.  Been saying Blackface is China’s bitch.  China approves

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
  • Options
    erebus said:

Yep, your typical everyday farmer guns

Funny how they found this when it fits Trudeau’s agenda, same as this supposed truckload of guns stolen in Peterborough.  This is the same cops that can’t seem to solve all those churches burned because it does not fit Trudeau’s agenda.  These cops you admire have no problem beating the shit out of an indigenous person…you know, just for being indigenous.  This police force ripped indigenous  children from their children because the government to them to … the. RRMP are as crooked as fuck…prove me wrong.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    These protest are fine. Just don’t protest in Ottawa a g7 city…they are delicate flowers.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    When the president of El Salvador 🇸🇻 offers criticism, what does that say?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    The comment of the week on these forums was “I hated Harper because he was a  misogynist.”(no evidence) so what will I do…I support a known racist and misogynist (plenty of evidence)..This place is so predicable…not mention the continued lies to the indigenous peoples…and now a power grab by weak man…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
  • Options
    Breaking News:  Liberal Party propose new flag.  Been saying Blackface is China’s bitch.  China approves

Says the guy that supports Russia and China in geopolitical conflicts.  How ironic.