Wildfire(s) Out West

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    Why rake when you can comb?

How naughty are if you receive a trump doll for Xmas....
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    brianlux said:
    Why rake when you can comb?

How naughty are if you receive a trump doll for Xmas....
    OMG, worse than a lump of coal.  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited May 2019
    Give Peas A Chance…
    The official fire season for western North America is late spring through the first rains before the new year.  But Forest Service people and CalFire people I know refer to the "new normal" fire season dates for  most of western North America as being "year round". 

We had a good, wet winter in our area this past winter so I'm not worried yet but come late summer and fall I will be on pins and needles until the first rains return.  It's a real crap shoot living here in the west. We're still pretty much stuck here due to our work/ store situation so not in much of a position to move, but why on God's Brown Earth anyone would move into most areas of the west these days is beyond me. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    It is early for BC, but this isn't surprising at all - it's been the driest spring I can remember. We're in big trouble this year. There have even been a few brush fires right in metro Vancouver already, which is very unusual at any time, but especially in May.... and everyone is afraid Stanley Park is going to burn down one of these days. It would be so easy for that happen, with the homeless people camping out in there. And if we lost Stanley Park like that... omg. That would be so devastating for the city.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    It is early for BC, but this isn't surprising at all - it's been the driest spring I can remember. We're in big trouble this year. There have even been a few brush fires right in metro Vancouver already, which is very unusual at any time, but especially in May.... and everyone is afraid Stanley Park is going to burn down one of these days. It would be so easy for that happen, with the homeless people camping out in there. And if we lost Stanley Park like that... omg. That would be so devastating for the city.
    The one time I visited Vancouver we stayed within in the city.  I remember going to a gardens area but didn't know about Stanley Park.  I looked it up and it looks beautiful.  I hope it stays safe!

edited May 2019
    It is the best park I've ever been in for sure, but it's not just beautiful. It's 405 hectares and is by far the biggest tourist attraction in the city, including 9km of the seawall, and several beaches. It's an ecosytem all its own, massively important to the economy of the city, and contains half a million trees. Look how much of the city it takes up! That ENTIRE green chunk is Stanley Park. I can barely even imagine what it would be like if we lost it. We'd be fucked. Also, the Vancouver Aquarium is in the middle of it.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    It is the best park I've ever been in for sure, but it's not just beautiful. It's 405 hectares and is by far the biggest tourist attraction in the city, including 9km of the seawall, and several beaches. It's an ecosytem all its own, massively important to the economy of the city, and contains half a million trees. Look how much of the city it takes up! That ENTIRE green chunk is Stanley Park. I can barely even imagine what it would be like if we lost it. We'd be fucked. Also, the Vancouver Aquarium is in the middle of it.

Wow!  What a great park!  Best wishes for Stanley Park!

You need to get raking...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    PJ_Soul said:
    Is it a public park?  If so, then the homeless have every right to be there 24/7 as far as I'm concerned...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited May 2019
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I am frankly not too sure how you missed visiting it when you were here, lol. You stayed within the city... but Stanley Park IS in the city. It's like visiting NYC for the first time and not checking out Time Square, haha. ;)
    edited May 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    Is it a public park?  If so, then the homeless have every right to be there 24/7 as far as I'm concerned...
    I said nothing about whether or not I thought they have a right to be there. What they need to do is not have any fire while they are there. Obviously. There is a 100% fire ban (that includes no smoking anything), but the homeless don't honour it at all. And I think that ANYONE who doesn't honour a fire/smoking ban should be thown in jail.
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I am frankly not too sure how you missed visiting it when you were here, lol. You stayed within the city... but Stanley Park IS in the city. It's like visiting NYC for the first time and not checking out Time Square, haha. ;)
    I honestly don't remember.  My visit to Vancouver was in the mid 80's, probably around 35 years ago.  Mostly I remember staying in a hotel room that was on this dingy basement corridor with no windows.  God know how we (previous wife-time ago) ended up in a place like that. I hardly got any sleep so I was probably a walking zombie. 

I need to get back up there and visit again.  C and I hoping to make it up to Alaska in 2020 and will make Vancouver a stop along the way if we do. 

And speaking of NYC and things missed- I've been to New York City three times and been all over from Manhattan to Brooklyn to The Cloisters to Soho, to Liberty Island, even to Harlem at a time when a white boy was taking a risk doing so... and yet have never been to Central Park.  Go figure, lol!

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I honestly don't remember.  My visit to Vancouver was in the mid 80's, probably around 35 years ago.  Mostly I remember staying in a hotel room that was on this dingy basement corridor with no windows.  God know how we (previous wife-time ago) ended up in a place like that. I hardly got any sleep so I was probably a walking zombie. 

I need to get back up there and visit again.  C and I hoping to make it up to Alaska in 2020 and will make Vancouver a stop along the way if we do. 

And speaking of NYC and things missed- I've been to New York City three times and been all over from Manhattan to Brooklyn to The Cloisters to Soho, to Liberty Island, even to Harlem at a time when a white boy was taking a risk doing so... and yet have never been to Central Park.  Go figure, lol!
    I have been to NYC several times and have never been to the Statue of Liberty. No interest in going - big statue, lots of crowds, big deal. But I love wandering around the neighbourhoods and sampling the food and drink, and yes, I’ve been to Central Park ;)
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJ_Soul said:

I couldn’t imagine losing it, either. I lived in Vancouver for over a decade and spent a lot of wonderful days walking or cycling the sea wall and wandering  around the park. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    edited May 2019

brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I have been to NYC several times and have never been to the Statue of Liberty. No interest in going - big statue, lots of crowds, big deal. But I love wandering around the neighbourhoods and sampling the food and drink, and yes, I’ve been to Central Park ;)
    I also didn't even see the Statue of Liberty when I went to NYC. I wouldn't go on those tour ferry things. You can just take the Staten Island Ferry instead, no? I don't see the point of going to the actual statue - if you're standing right at the foot of it you can't even really see it anymore. :lol: I also didn't go into the Empire State Building even though I walked by it many times - to damned expensive to go to the top of a building. I didn't see the point. Central Park though.... I don't think I could have avoided that if I tried, lol. It's right there in the middle of everything! ;)
    Despite the fact that there have been no major fires so far this year in populated areas, there are a couple of big wildland fires going.  The biggest right now is the Walker Fire in Plumas County, 47,340 acres, 20% containment.

And in many populated areas, emotions and concerns are beginning to run high as the fire season is just starting up.  The biggest concern, beside fear of being caught in a fire, is with the issue of home insurance.  C. and I attended a local Fire Council meeting today in which the focus was on insurance.   We were told that the major fires in 2017and 2018- especially the Camp Fire last year that all but obliterated the town of Paradise and much of Magalia- those disasters wiped out 20 years worth of revenues for California insurance agencies.  As a result, home insurance rates are skyrocketing and many home owners have had their policies cancelled and are having to depend on what is called the California Fair Plan which provides minimal coverage with high costs and high deductibles.   In one extreme case, the president of an insurance firm in El Dorado Hills had his home insurance cancelled.   We've been lucky so far to maintain coverage but I'm very concerned about how long that could last.

Meanwhile, legislators are dragging their feet.  And as the speaker at our meeting basically said,  in the current situation, everything is falling apart right now.   No one seems to have a clue what to do.  Many home owners are bailing while they can for fear that they will not be able to keep their homes insured, and property values of the homes that are unable to secure insurance have or will drop (understandable as no one want to buy an uninsurable home.)   

I sure hope the rains come earlier this year.  :prayer:

• rhanishanerhanishane NSW Australia Posts: 505
    pretty sure Aus will be burnt to the ground by the end of summer. Already crazy fires started at the end of winter. Major drought and the whole country is one big tinder box! We just had 3 major fires ... one with a perimeter of 300km and are still active but so far contained. The winds and dust storms have been excessive and it is still snowing in parts. This summer is going to be a killer 😦 I hope it rains for all who need it here and over there. 
    pretty sure Aus will be burnt to the ground by the end of summer. Already crazy fires started at the end of winter. Major drought and the whole country is one big tinder box! We just had 3 major fires ... one with a perimeter of 300km and are still active but so far contained. The winds and dust storms have been excessive and it is still snowing in parts. This summer is going to be a killer 😦 I hope it rains for all who need it here and over there. 
    I hope the situation there improves, rhanishane .  So much fire and heat in various places.  It feels like World on Fire.

This is a nerve wracking time of year hear in the Sierra Foothills.  After seeing what happened in Paradise, we realize we are in a potentially similar position.  Several roads in our area (including ours) are narrow, eroding and overhung with trees, some that are dead and could fall and block access.  It's like living in a potential war zone.  I'm hoping we can move further north or closer to the coast, but so is everyone else.  This is just the beginning of what will prove to be many global migrations.

edited September 2019
    not an exaggeration its this bad
    brianlux said:
    I hope the situation there improves, rhanishane .  So much fire and heat in various places.  It feels like World on Fire.

This is a nerve wracking time of year hear in the Sierra Foothills.  After seeing what happened in Paradise, we realize we are in a potentially similar position.  Several roads in our area (including ours) are narrow, eroding and overhung with trees, some that are dead and could fall and block access.  It's like living in a potential war zone.  I'm hoping we can move further north or closer to the coast, but so is everyone else.  This is just the beginning of what will prove to be many global migrations.
    doesn't matter where you live here. coastal is just as deadly. They burn just as hot and fast all the way to the beach as one fire just this week did just that! 9 residential homes lost in Peregian beach on the sunshine coast in QLD. Deliberately lit by 2 teenagers who have now been arrested. Eucalyptus trees, dry soil and huge fuel load coupled with high winds don't mix even in winter.
    DC-10 bomber has been working overtime already and its only early spring
    brianlux said:

doesn't matter where you live here. coastal is just as deadly. They burn just as hot and fast all the way to the beach as one fire just this week did just that! 9 residential homes lost in Peregian beach on the sunshine coast in QLD. Deliberately lit by 2 teenagers who have now been arrested. Eucalyptus trees, dry soil and huge fuel load coupled with high winds don't mix even in winter.
    That's a bummer!  No place to run, no place to hide?  I hear parts of Queensland gets a lot of rain.  Worth pursuing? 

Coastal California can also be very dangerous in terms of fire.  From Big Sur south all the way to the border, fires are very common.  The northern most part of coastal California and on up are much wetter.

The northern tip is close to the equator so it gets monsoonal rains. The flooding did reach lake eyre in the centre for the first time in many years a couple of months ago but the major arterial rivers in the east were sucked up by irrigators who are majority cotton growers from china and America. So much corrupt bullshit going on in our government with stolen water.. buying and selling going on its ridiculous. Then to top it off with the drought and not much rain forecast for the next six months. Entire towns have run out of water and all our major dams are low or empty. Fighting fires is becoming a concern with lack of water and the DC10 bomber is dropping retardant to slow the fires or protect homes. I watched footage today of a new fire and the helicopter was filling its bucket in backyard swimming pools because there was no closer water source.
    The northern tip is close to the equator so it gets monsoonal rains. The flooding did reach lake eyre in the centre for the first time in many years a couple of months ago but the major arterial rivers in the east were sucked up by irrigators who are majority cotton growers from china and America. So much corrupt bullshit going on in our government with stolen water.. buying and selling going on its ridiculous. Then to top it off with the drought and not much rain forecast for the next six months. Entire towns have run out of water and all our major dams are low or empty. Fighting fires is becoming a concern with lack of water and the DC10 bomber is dropping retardant to slow the fires or protect homes. I watched footage today of a new fire and the helicopter was filling its bucket in backyard swimming pools because there was no closer water source.
    Swimming pools in places where drought is common.  Now there's irony for you.  Kind of like gold courses in Nevada and Arizona here in the U.S.  Human are a baffling creature.

brianlux said:
    Swimming pools in places where drought is common.  Now there's irony for you.  Kind of like gold courses in Nevada and Arizona here in the U.S.  Human are a baffling creature.
    we are so low on water its at critical stage. some major regional towns have only till November before its gone completely 
    Our power company, PG&E, has informed us that this evening our power will be shut off for up to 5 days because of a "wind event".  I checked our two most reliable weather sources- NOAA and Weather Underground- and both show winds peaking at 9 to 10 miles per hour.  They call that a wind event?  I call it PG&E covering their asses at our expense because they can't maintain their equipment properly.  Jesus effin' C.  Oh well, it was me after all, telling Meltdown "me and my buddies are going back to pre-agricultural times."  I guess I wasn't joking. 

And why am I so pissed?  Because I may have to shut down my business for up to five days because it going to be so fucking windy... at 9 to 10 MPG.  Gahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

That's not wind we've been getting horrendous dust storms with 100km winds. It's not even summer and look at the devastation here already. My uncle single handedly saved his home last night from these fires. We will have no bushland or water left soon its ridiculous. The fires are seriously out of control here
    https://youtu.be/AfRGtlmk5og
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    brianlux said:
    Our power company, PG&E, has informed us that this evening our power will be shut off for up to 5 days because of a "wind event".  I checked our two most reliable weather sources- NOAA and Weather Underground- and both show winds peaking at 9 to 10 miles per hour.  They call that a wind event?  I call it PG&E covering their asses at our expense because they can't maintain their equipment properly.  Jesus effin' C.  Oh well, it was me after all, telling Meltdown "me and my buddies are going back to pre-agricultural times."  I guess I wasn't joking. 

And why am I so pissed?  Because I may have to shut down my business for up to five days because it going to be so fucking windy... at 9 to 10 MPG.  Gahhhhhhhhhhhhh!
    Too many people living in a place they shouldn't.  Getting water from elsewhere...building on cliffs.  But it's the power company's fault.... 
    hippiemom = goodness
    brianlux said:

Too many people living in a place they shouldn't.  Getting water from elsewhere...building on cliffs.  But it's the power company's fault.... 
    We're back on line after almost three days of no power.

Yes, too many people have moved to California- way too many.  But yes, the devastating fires here in California last year and this massive power shut down are, more than anything, PG&E's fault.  It is well known out here that the fires that destroyed a whole neighborhood in Santa Rosa and almost completely destroyed the town of Paradise were caused by faulty, very old and out-dated PG&E equipment.  That power company has been cutting corners for decades in order to appease it's share-holders.  This is a classic case of greed leading to disaster and, this year, much inconvenience.  Had the power company kept the equipment and infrastructure well repaired and maintained, that fire and this massive shut-down would not have occurred.  Many of us are aware of this, and many of us are pissed.  We, and many other businesses, lost a lot of business unnecessarily these last three days. Massive amounts of food from homes and grocery store without generators have been thrown away. 

And yet I just read an article from this late June talking about how PG&E corporate heads are going to be given $11 million in "performance bonuses" this year.  I call bullshit!