Options

Wildfire(s) Out West

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    Ten years ago, the largest wildfire in California's recorded history was the 1932 Matilija Fire at 220,000 acres.  Today the largest wildfire in California history is the currently burning August Complex at 875,059 acres.  And that fire is only 25% contained

We need to vote out all climate change deniers (most of whom are Republicans), vote in environmentally responsible candidates, and then demand greater measures to reduce climate change and demand more than lip service.

I really, really wish that "most Republicans" and all political refs were removed.  Wishful thinking, I know!

The ones I know don't want shit burning, and are willing to help create a better environment for themselves and their children.
    I hope so Hedo.

The last politician we had that I really had faith in on environment was Alan Cranston.  I know he was involved in some financial controversy, but he fought hard for wilderness conservation and other environmental issues.  When I wrote to him a detailed letter about my concerns and thanked him for his efforts, he sent me a long, personal letter that pertinent to everything I wrote to him about- in other words, not a form letter, but an actual thoughtful response.   I don't expect something like that to happen again, but I hope there are people in positions of power that are working that hard for the environment.  We need that now more than ever.  

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    Hi! said:

Holy smoke!  Well, it actually feels more devilish. 

I was just reading an article somewhere about how the air near some of the big fires here and in Oregon is so off the scale they don't even totally understand how bad it is for people health.  And at a time of a pandemic which often affects lungs and breathing.  Unsettling thoughts, for sure.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Hi! said:

I was just reading an article somewhere about how the air near some of the big fires here and in Oregon is so off the scale they don't even totally understand how bad it is for people health.  And at a time of a pandemic which often affects lungs and breathing.  Unsettling thoughts, for sure.

Don’t even know what to say, it’s though to watch/see all the devastation. I know my aunt( who lives in Oregon, Grants Pass I think?) recently called my mom, she didn’t evacuate but were on standby in case they needed to. Sorry, bro. We are the types who like to carry the weight of the world on our shoulders, it’s tough.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    Hi! said:
    brianlux said:
    Hi! said:

Don’t even know what to say, it’s though to watch/see all the devastation. I know my aunt( who lives in Oregon, Grants Pass I think?) recently called my mom, she didn’t evacuate but were on standby in case they needed to. Sorry, bro. We are the types who like to carry the weight of the world on our shoulders, it’s tough.

Thanks, my friend. 
    There's a specific song in the back of my mind about how hard it is to carry the weight of the world.  Can't come up with it though as I'm listening to Wayne Shorter right now.  Some fine jazz to clear the head!

Oh wait- got it! R.E.M.  "Not e-ver-y-one/ can carry the weight of the world..."

• Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,402
    edited September 2020
    Hi! said:
    It was extremely hazy here in MN last night and this morning. Much clearer tonight. I got family in Portland, Fresno, and outside of San Fran. Some of the pictures are beyond nuts. Stay safe out there.
    Post edited by jerparker20 on
  • Options
    Hi! said:
    It was extremely hazy here in MN last night and this morning. Much clearer tonight. I got family in Portland, Fresno, and outside of San Fran. Some of the pictures are beyond nuts. Stay safe out there.
    I would say hazy for most the day here today. The picture in the article is accurate to what I’ve seen all day. I did drive by the lake at sunset and nothing. No color, just grey, but not really any clouds, so unusual. I do enjoy a nice sunset but not at the expense of all the devastation.

• Options
    Ah oh.  Time to go outside and break shit again.

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,159
    It's nasty here in Victoria.   Been super smokey for days.  The air quality rating has been at it's highest 10+.  Some of the lowest air quality on the planet right now.  All the washington, oregon, and california smoke has been moving north and flowing straight here.   Took a few days, but my asthma is protesting.

Of course my shit's not on fire, and eventually the wind will switch back to it's more regular west to east and clear out.  I can tough it out.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    brianlux said:
    Ten years ago, the largest wildfire in California's recorded history was the 1932 Matilija Fire at 220,000 acres.  Today the largest wildfire in California history is the currently burning August Complex at 875,059 acres.  And that fire is only 25% contained

We need to vote out all climate change deniers (most of whom are Republicans), vote in environmentally responsible candidates, and then demand greater measures to reduce climate change and demand more than lip service.

What was really shocking and sad is out of the top 10 biggest fires in their history, 4 are burning right now. And a 5th is just outside the top 10.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

What was really shocking and sad is out of the top 10 biggest fires in their history, 4 are burning right now. And a 5th is just outside the top 10.

Yes, good point, Mace. 

And that 5th one, the Creek Fire will very likely be in the top 10, especially considering its growth rate, location, low humidity in the area, and only 16% containment so far. 

Over 3 million acres have burned just in California, over a million in Oregon, and the worst of fire season likely to last through October (the fire that took out Paradise burned from November 8 to the 28th.)  Maybe another 2 months of this.  Man, oh man...

• Options
    Ah oh.  It's after midnight.  I'm a bad boy.  My wife asked me to stay off the computer late at night because I think too much about politics and fires and shit.
    Ba-a-a-a-a-d boy!  :lol: 

• Options
    breakmarysfallbreakmarysfall Posts: 366
    edited September 2020

….so I use this channel now as an outlet again… because all I want is to send all my best wishes and my deep support to the great North West! ...I lived in Portland for almost 2 years and so my heart is breaking to watch it now all go on FIRE.

I always experienced this region as my personal paradise. Beauty seen and never forgotten ever since! So I am so deeply sorry and broken and also scared but I am also aware how the folks in the North West , living and being there, must feel this pain in double, triple and up to a live threating point. And so I wish I could help somehow!  

But I guess I missed this helping point … 15 year ago I posted a lot here to draw the attention to climate change and environment destruction – I even wrote a book about it, but I never have assumed that it would get soo obvious so shortly after…  but it is here and everywhere now!

Just reading the Short cuts of the news flash here is more than proof:

-          Ongoing extreme fires all over the North West (– the worst ever recorded fires)

-          Something like 5? hurricanes in a row forming in the Gulf of Mexico (– never seen before)

-          Hundreds of thousands birds found dead in New Mexico ( – probably related to the fires)

-          The biggest Iceberg so far has split apart from Greenland/ Antarctic ice shield (– just yesterday)

-          The circulation of the Atlantic – ocean is slowing down in a significant manner, again already proven and obvious to measure now

But it is time to have both hands on deck, so I try to stop my tears and stay positive positive instead. …and I am sending all my positive thoughts and wishes straight to the great Northwest today ....

Post edited by breakmarysfall on
    there is no way to peace, peace is the way!
    ...the world is come undone, I like to change it everyday but change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks.
  • Options

….so I use this channel now as an outlet again… because all I want is to send all my best wishes and my deep support to the great North West! ...I lived in Portland for almost 2 years and so my heart is breaking to watch it now all go on FIRE.

I always experienced this region as my personal paradise. Beauty seen and never forgotten ever since! So I am so deeply sorry and broken and also scared but I am also aware how the folks in the North West , living and being there, must feel this pain in double, triple and up to a live threating point. And so I wish I could help somehow!  

But I guess I missed this helping point … 15 year ago I posted a lot here to draw the attention to climate change and environment destruction – I even wrote a book about it, but I never have assumed that it would get soo obvious so shortly after…  but it is here and everywhere now!

Just reading the Short cuts of the news flash here is more than proof:

-          Ongoing extreme fires all over the North West (– the worst ever recorded fires)

-          Something like 5? hurricanes in a row forming in the Gulf of Mexico (– never seen before)

-          Hundreds of thousands birds found dead in New Mexico ( – probably related to the fires)

-          The biggest Iceberg so far has split apart from Greenland/ Antarctic ice shield (– just yesterday)

-          The circulation of the Atlantic – ocean is slowing down in a significant manner, again already proven and obvious to measure now

But it is time to have both hands on deck, so I try to stop my tears and stay positive positive instead. …and I am sending all my positive thoughts and wishes straight to the great Northwest today ....

Well said, breakmarysfall  , and thank you for standing up for the planet.

It is very frustrating for those of us who have spent years or decades working in defense of the environment and the planet that sustains us.   We are now at the breaking point.  What is happening in all of the American west is a plain is giving us a clear view of an environmental apocalypse perpetrated by human activity.  This is not just a localized event.  As you suggest by looking at environmental issues in places far and wide, it is a planetary event. 

I'm no longer certain it is the will of humanity to do enough about the situation to significantly reduce our impact on the plant.  I have been working with and supporting environmental cause for several decades.  The situation has only gotten worse.  I am not suggesting we should throw our hands and and quit.  Keep up the good fight and find antidotes to despair.  It's the only life we have.

• Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,011
    This is a really good article. The title doesn't do justice to the actual information about funding firefighting and prevention maintenance, or lack thereof. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/trump-blames-california-for-fires-he-should-check-to-see-whose-land-they-re-on/ar-BB194Nue?ocid=msedgntp
  • Options
    This is a really good article. The title doesn't do justice to the actual information about funding firefighting and prevention maintenance, or lack thereof. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/trump-blames-california-for-fires-he-should-check-to-see-whose-land-they-re-on/ar-BB194Nue?ocid=msedgntp
    Exactly! 

U.S. Forest , BLM , National Parks, National Monuments, National Wildlife Refuges, National Conservation Areas, Wilderness, National Historic Sites, National Recreation Areas, National Trails- these all comprise huge amounts of land in the western U.S. 
    Trump blaming California (or Oregon, or Washington) for these fires demonstrates yet again his limited understanding of the federal government of which he is Commander in Chief.  And then combine that with his lack of even a basic understanding of fire, ecological, natural and general sciences and... well there it is.

• Options
    brianlux said:

It is very frustrating for those of us who have spent years or decades working in defense of the environment and the planet that sustains us.   We are now at the breaking point.  What is happening in all of the American west is a plain is giving us a clear view of an environmental apocalypse perpetrated by human activity.  This is not just a localized event.  As you suggest by looking at environmental issues in places far and wide, it is a planetary event. 

I'm no longer certain it is the will of humanity to do enough about the situation to significantly reduce our impact on the plant.  I have been working with and supporting environmental cause for several decades.  The situation has only gotten worse.  I am not suggesting we should throw our hands and and quit.  Keep up the good fight and find antidotes to despair.  It's the only life we have.

thank you so much for the perfect sum up... I also am part of environment activities since almost 20 years and I try my best but as you pointed out: it is not clear if humanity is ready to face this huge problem and act towards a reduction of the emissions and destruction...
    In Europe they try to focus on the problem since a few years but only in little stepts although we also experience the outcome of the climate crisis already,
    But I guess what is happpening right now on the West Coast and in the south of the US, these really extreme outcomes are like a mirror reflection of what is to come, world wide ! And I really feel sorry for you' folks that you are confronted now so hard and mercyless by it ...

there is no way to peace, peace is the way!
    ...the world is come undone, I like to change it everyday but change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

thank you so much for the perfect sum up... I also am part of environment activities since almost 20 years and I try my best but as you pointed out: it is not clear if humanity is ready to face this huge problem and act towards a reduction of the emissions and destruction...
    In Europe they try to focus on the problem since a few years but only in little stepts although we also experience the outcome of the climate crisis already,
    But I guess what is happpening right now on the West Coast and in the south of the US, these really extreme outcomes are like a mirror reflection of what is to come, world wide ! And I really feel sorry for you' folks that you are confronted now so hard and mercyless by it ...

Good work, breakmarysfall, and thank you for doing it!

The smoke here is really bad today.  No going outside today unless necessary.   We haven't seen blue sky in a month. Nothing but smoke.

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    California fires are impacting Denver air:

The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment has issued an ACTION DAY ALERT at 4PM on Thursday, September 17, 2020 for the Front Range Urban Corridor from Douglas County north to Larimer and Weld counties, including the Denver-Boulder area, Fort Collins and Greeley.

Smoke transported from out-of-state wildfires will result in fine particulate concentrations reaching the Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups to Unhealthy range on Wednesday and Thursday. Fine particulate concentrations in the Unhealthy category will be most likely for locations along the I-25 corridor from Denver northward to Ft. Collins, with fine particulate concentrations reaching the Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups category for the rest of the Front Range region. Additionally, ozone concentrations could reach the Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups category Thursday afternoon in parts of the Denver metro area. For health recommendations, please see the Front Range Air Quality Forecast below.

• Options
    We finally got a change in the weather here on Vancouver Island.   Air has gone back to coming in from the West, so it's pushed the smoke inland.  First day I've gotten to go out for a Bike Ride in almost two weeks.

I hope everyone else gets a break from the smoke too.
  • Options
    Zod said:
    We finally got a change in the weather here on Vancouver Island.   Air has gone back to coming in from the West, so it's pushed the smoke inland.  First day I've gotten to go out for a Bike Ride in almost two weeks.

I hope everyone else gets a break from the smoke too.

That's great, Zod!

We caught a nice break this morning as well.  A little haze, but clear enough to sit out back with some coffee and enjoy a half hour outside for the first time in a month. 

• Options
    Well, it's official- 5 out 10 of the largest fires on record in California have occurred this year alone.  It's very possible that number will reach 5 out of the top 6 unless we get measurable rain in the next few weeks (with nothing doing on the 10 day forecast. )  Crazy damn year.

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    brianlux said:
    Well, it's official- 5 out 10 of the largest fires on record in California have occurred this year alone.  It's very possible that number will reach 5 out of the top 6 unless we get measurable rain in the next few weeks (with nothing doing on the 10 day forecast. )  Crazy damn year.

3000 miles away, we finally have blue skies again. Unreal we saw the impact so far away. I am hopeful this means there is less burning out west.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

3000 miles away, we finally have blue skies again. Unreal we saw the impact so far away. I am hopeful this means there is less burning out west.

I'm glad your skies have cleared up!

It's smokey again here today.  This will go on until we get rain which doesn't typically happen until October at the earliest, sometimes not until November.  Fall is a real challenge out here.

• Options
    The Creek Fire has moved up to #7 largest in Calif. history.  Now 5 of the top 7 have occurred this year alone.

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    Sorry to hear it’s still ongoing, let’s hope for some rain soon. I guess the winds in the northeast shifted from west to northerly as it’s blue skies but very cold for September.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

That's crazy.   We roadtripped down to San Francisco and then over to Yosemite in 2013.   We had to take the long way around because of the Rim fire.   Seeing it from Yosemite was crazy.  It was so big.    Now these fires are making that one look pretty tiny :(
  • Options
    Zod said:
    brianlux said:

That's crazy.   We roadtripped down to San Francisco and then over to Yosemite in 2013.   We had to take the long way around because of the Rim fire.   Seeing it from Yosemite was crazy.  It was so big.    Now these fires are making that one look pretty tiny :(

If you get a chance to go to Yosemite again, best to go in early spring, even if you have to endure some chilly weather.  Fires in and around Yosemite are too common in summer and fall these days.  We went down there for a day trip in early March about 5 years ago.  There was still some snow on the ground in patches but it was great because there weren't a lot of crowds. 

Yeah, these fires this year are huge.  The August Complex Fire is now 833,967 acres with only 35% containment.  The next biggest fire here on record is 2018's Mendocino Complex Fire at 459,123 acres.  Mind boggling!

• Options
    The Creek Fire, now at 283,274, is now the 6th largest fire on record in California which puts 5 of the 6 largest fires on record in this state as occurring this year alone.  And still no rain on the horizon.

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,527
    edited October 2023
    Post edited by Spunkie on