Tool

Comments

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    PJNB said:
    I maybe in the minority but I really do not dislike any normal Tool song. I always skip the random songs when listening or omit them from my playlist but besides that I enjoy each one. Some more than others of course. 

Also really surprised my Tool Army subscription was refunded upon request. Still waiting for it to go into my bank account but the email was sent that they were processing it at least.  

I think they missed the boat on the TA presale. So many members were looking for normal non VIP tickets. Would it have been painful to the promoter to open up 500 or so seats per show to the fan club?
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    To those saying riffs on FI are the same as those on previous albums, which?
    The only similarity I hear is the start of Pneuma reminds me of Schism.

And I too cannot get into Wings for Marie and 10,000 Days. I find them boring.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • If you're going to have the same people play the same instruments in the same tuning some things are going to sound similar regardless. I get bits of Reflection and Wings in the title track but then it goes into a gallop in 11 that I haven't heard, Pneuma is related to both Schism and The Patient but the synth interlude and time signatures are unique to me, Invincible has the Jambi/Hooker/Eulogy riff, Culling Voices has a quiet building part then goes into a slower version of Triad. That's what I hear but I get familiarity all over the record which is great and doesn't necessarily mean they're repeating themselves. 7empest is amazing-that guitar tone and Adam generally doesn't play solos. Also shows you don't have to shred to melt someone's face off with a guitar part.

Also one who doesn't have Wings as their favourite song. It doesn't really go anywhere for me-it's cool that Danny is accenting Adam and Justin when Adam is in 4 and Justin in 6 but doesn't grab me and take me for the epic ride that most Tool songs do. I feel the same about Disposition/Reflection/Triad too. But hey I'll still spin them to see if I find some cool stuff I missed (or see those songs live).
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411

There’s something in every song. With this in mind the last few days, I have to say this album isn’t quite as bad as 10k Days on this.

edited September 2019
    DewieCox said:

There’s something in every song. With this in mind the last few days, I have to say this album isn’t quite as bad as 10k Days on this.

Who are you to wave your fingeryou must have been out your hair
  • DewieCox said:
    To me it’s not nitpicking or just a similar riff here and there. With this and 10k Days, you can practically go riff by riff and find an earlier example of something nearly identical. Can’t think of a big, well respected band that’s a worse offender on this front. 

Adam Jones greatest accomplishment? GTFO with that. Go listen to Ænima and try to keep a straight face when remembering that notion.

For the record, I’m enjoying FI, even though I don’t think it stacks up to the 2 headed Ænima/Lateralus monster.

If you want to talk songwriting, I agree, Aenima was a way better album.

Speaking strictly from a guitar standpoint though? Third Eye comes close, but other than that, there are no songs on Aenima whose guitars can compare to what he does in 7empest or Descending.

Lateralus & Aenima (my favorite album, hands down) were most certainly this band's peak but I stand by my opinion that FI is Jones' greatest accomplishment as a guitarist.

Please, that’s all ground he’s covered before. 

7empest is basically a best of Undertow packed into one song. 
    Descending is the You Lied cover mixed with a couple parts that are similar to Patient and 3rd Eye. 

• DewieCox said:
    Please, that’s all ground he’s covered before. 

Descending is the You Lied cover mixed with a couple parts that are similar to Patient and 3rd Eye. 

ok
  • DewieCox said:
    To me it’s not nitpicking or just a similar riff here and there. With this and 10k Days, you can practically go riff by riff and find an earlier example of something nearly identical. Can’t think of a big, well respected band that’s a worse offender on this front. 

Adam Jones greatest accomplishment? GTFO with that. Go listen to Ænima and try to keep a straight face when remembering that notion.

For the record, I’m enjoying FI, even though I don’t think it stacks up to the 2 headed Ænima/Lateralus monster.

Speaking strictly from a guitar standpoint though? Third Eye comes close, but other than that, there are no songs on Aenima whose guitars can compare to what he does in 7empest or Descending.

Lateralus & Aenima (my favorite album, hands down) were most certainly this band's peak but I stand by my opinion that FI is Jones' greatest accomplishment as a guitarist.

I'll say "Right in 2" is his masterpiece.  He does some cool shit on that track that I just love.
  • DewieCox said:

I'll say "Right in 2" is his masterpiece.  He does some cool shit on that track that I just love.

I have always loved the solo in Right in 2... that's tough to argue with.
    DewieCox said:

Lol no way
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    edited September 2019
    DewieCox said:

Lol no way

It has tons of similarities to the sound and style of Undertow. Throw in a slightly off rhythmically take on the Vicarious intro for the breakdown and that’s about the entire song.

You want to say AJ packs in his entire bag of tricks and shows his range, fine, but speaking as someone who’s as intimately familiar with the entire catalog from a guitar perspective as one can possibly be, there’s very little on FI that he hasn’t done before. 

I’m not even sure  he has the best “guitar” solo on the album. Chancellor gives me goosebumps in Invincible. 

DewieCox said:

I have always loved the solo in Right in 2... that's tough to argue with.
    Great crescendo there. Really the high point of 10k Days, even with the recycled Pushit(Salival).
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    Pneuma is one of the greatest things they've ever done. Absolutely hypnotic. I love this album.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Edved82 said:
    Pneuma is one of the greatest things they've ever done. Absolutely hypnotic. I love this album.
    Agree
    26/ 05/ 00 -Velodomo Anoeta -San Sebastián.
    02/ 09/ 06 -Azkena Rock Festival- Vitoria -Gasteiz.
    09/ 07/ 10 - BBK live -Bilbao.
    10/ 07/ 18 -Palau Sant jordi -Barcelona.

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Finally starting to remember what Invincible sounds like when I'm not listening to it.  Still haven't caught on to Descending yet.  (I like the song, I just don't remember a damn thing about it unless it's playing.)
    Edved82 said:
    Definitely. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    I'm loving 7empest....kickass riff

great album
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    waiting for vinyl
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    waiting for vinyl
    You... you haven't even heard it yet?
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,413
    hedonist said:
    The more I read/hear the lyrics, the more I like it.  Introspectively well-put, as usual.

Caligula would grin, indeed.
    What does a Roman figure have to do with the album? Did I miss something in the songs?
    I really need to spend some time trying to interpret these lyrics. I am clueless at the moment.
    Can we all start discussing song interpretations here?

Is 7empest about a politician deceiving all of us?
    Is Pnuema a spiritual song about us all being ONE? (kind of obvious).
    What is Fear Inoculum? 
    What is the psychopathy Maynard is singing about in Culling Voices?
    What is it that is Descending?
    Who is the warrior that is struggling to be consequential and that is proud in Invincible?

https://genius.com/a/stream-read-all-the-lyrics-to-tools-new-album-fear-inoculum
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    23scidoo said:
    hedonist said:
    The more I read/hear the lyrics, the more I like it.  Introspectively well-put, as usual.

Caligula would grin, indeed.
    What does a Roman figure have to do with the album? Did I miss something in the songs?
    I really need to spend some time trying to interpret these lyrics. I am clueless at the moment.
    Can we all start discussing song interpretations here?

Is 7empest about a politician deceiving all of us?
    Is Pnuema a spiritual song about us all being ONE? (kind of obvious).
    What is Fear Inoculum? 
    What is the psychopathy Maynard is singing about in Culling Voices?
    What is it that is Descending?
    Who is the warrior that is struggling to be consequential and that is proud in Invincible?

https://genius.com/a/stream-read-all-the-lyrics-to-tools-new-album-fear-inoculum
    Awesome!
    Thanks!
    edited September 2019
    I'm loving the lyrics on the new album.
    I don't know what Anthony Fantano is talking about.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    edited September 2019
    Setlist spoilers from the Euro tour in the bottom post for those that do not know or want to be spoiled. I think we all know what has been played but do not want to ruin it for someone that has not. My setlist prediction is based on the last tour. 

So we are under a month away from the new album tour. What are people expecting from the setlist? They have already played 3 songs if you count Chocolate Chip on the past tour. Are they going to add to this with new songs or remove Invincible/Descending and put new songs in its place?  I think Aenema, 46 & 2, and Stinkfist are guarantees still and with Fear Inoculum being the first single I bet that is a for sure as well.  Here is what I am expecting. 

1. Aenema
    2. Fear Inoculum
    3. Parabol
    4. Parabola
    5. Descending
    6. Schism 
    7. Invincible 
    8. Pneuma
    9. Jambi/Vicarious 
    10. 46 & 2
    11. Chocolate Chip Trip
    12. 7empest (wishful thinking)
    13. Stinkfist
  • PJNB said:
    Setlist spoilers from the Euro tour in the bottom post for those that do not know or want to be spoiled. I think we all know what has been played but do not want to ruin it for someone that has not. My setlist prediction is based on the last tour. 

So we are under a month away from the new album tour. What are people expecting from the setlist? They have already played 3 songs if you count Chocolate Chip on the past tour. Are they going to add to this with new songs or remove Invincible/Descending and put new songs in its place?  I think Aenema, 46 & 2, and Stinkfist are guarantees still and with Fear Inoculum being the first single I bet that is a for sure as well.  Here is what I am expecting. 

1. Aenema
    2. Fear Inoculum
    3. Parabol
    4. Parabola
    5. Descending
    6. Schism 
    7. Invincible 
    8. Pneuma
    9. Jambi/Vicarious 
    10. 46 & 2
    11. Chocolate Chip Trip
    13. Stinkfist
    Removing 3rd eye and replacing it with 7empest isn't far off.

I like that you have Invincible on there.  That one and Fear are really starting to grab me, the rest of the album, no...
    PJNB said:

1. Aenema
    2. Fear Inoculum
    3. Parabol
    4. Parabola
    5. Descending
    6. Schism 
    7. Invincible 
    8. Pneuma
    9. Jambi/Vicarious 
    10. 46 & 2
    11. Chocolate Chip Trip
    13. Stinkfist

I'm counting about 7 minutes over, depending on the length of your Jambi/Vicarious ;)

One Tool concert disadvantage is they play exactly a 2 hour show minus precisely  12 minutes for intermission, it would  be really cool if they played a recording of intermission during intermission. 

On the positive side, it is possible to buy lower level seats at face value during the public onsale for two shows!

PJNB said:

1. Aenema
    2. Fear Inoculum
    3. Parabol
    4. Parabola
    5. Descending
    6. Schism 
    7. Invincible 
    8. Pneuma
    9. Jambi/Vicarious 
    10. 46 & 2
    11. Chocolate Chip Trip
    13. Stinkfist

I'm counting about 7 minutes over, depending on the length of your Jambi/Vicarious ;)

One Tool concert disadvantage is they play exactly a 2 hour show minus precisely  12 minutes for intermission, it would  be really cool if they played a recording of intermission during intermission. 

On the positive side, it is possible to buy lower level seats at face value during the public onsale for two shows!

Take out Schism then  ;)  (not going to happen)

I would be ok if they cut Parabol/Parabola out too to add something new or something they have not played in awhile. 

Tool’s dominance on the Billboard charts has continued following the monumental release of Fear Inoculum. The band’s first album in 13 years has now completely filled the Hot Rock Songs chart, with all 10 tracks, including interludes, securing a position.

This is absolutely absurd. The unrivaled might of Tool continues to make history, as Fear Inoculum debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart while every Tool album broke the Top 20 simultaneously. They also filled the entire Top 10 of the Rock Digital Songs chart and secured the longest song in history, “Fear Inoculum,” to break into the Hot 100. Tool also hit No. 1 on the Billboard Artist 100 chart. 

Each accolade is extremely impressive, but when noise interludes are outperforming highly successful singles, you know you’ve got a once-in-a-generation phenomenon. “Litanie Contre La Peur” is currently at No. 10 and “Legion Inoculant” sits at No. 11 on the Hot Rock Songs chart, beating “The Hype” by twenty one pilots and even Ed Sheeran’s “Blow.”

https://loudwire.com/every-new-tool-song-interludes-billboard-chart/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

• Am I the only one that thinks that 7empest would be the ultimate opening song. Going from dark to that opening riff as the screens and lights go crazy. It would make people’s heads melt. Reminds me of when PJ opens with Go or DTE. Start the show off on a fast start. A 15 plus min fast start but it would indeed be awesome. Last time I saw them they opened with Third Eye. Epic. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
    Am I the only one that thinks that 7empest would be the ultimate opening song. Going from dark to that opening riff as the screens and lights go crazy. It would make people’s heads melt. Reminds me of when PJ opens with Go or DTE. Start the show off on a fast start. A 15 plus min fast start but it would indeed be awesome. Last time I saw them they opened with Third Eye. Epic. 
    No I think that would be an awesome opening song. "Here we go again" with the lights coming on would be cool as fuck. 
  • The last time I saw Tool was in 2007 so I fear they won't play any older songs I haven't yet seen live. I'd say FI, Pneuma, Descending and Invincible would be in heavy use. Then a so-called greatest hits set. The weird thing is Tool aren't a greatest hits band. They could play none of Stinkfist, Forty Six and 2, Ænema, Sober, Schism, Lateralus or Parabola and I doubt you'd hear many grumbles at all as people would be ecstatic to get alternatives. "Oh damn I wanted Stinkfist Sober and Lateralus but instead we got Third Eye, Undertow and The Patient". Though Maynard picks the sets-and he needs to take care of his voice. Let's hope our fears about what songs he may not be able to do are off the mark enough that we get one or two real surprises.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018