Tool

Comments

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    The thing is, if Tool went in a new direction their fans would hate on them for changing. It's hard to win sometimes as a band.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • The thing is, if Tool went in a new direction their fans would hate on them for changing. It's hard to win sometimes as a band.
    Not a different direction just different notes and arrangements.

Maynards voice is definitely in a different direction.
    The thing is, if Tool went in a new direction their fans would hate on them for changing. It's hard to win sometimes as a band.
    Not a different direction just different notes and arrangements.

Maynards voice is definitely in a different direction.
    I love the vocal change. At least it's something :wink:
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • best fan comment I've read...
    "I wish I could physically consume this album and gain its vital nutrients"
    Nice comment indeed.
    26/ 05/ 00 -Velodomo Anoeta -San Sebastián.
    02/ 09/ 06 -Azkena Rock Festival- Vitoria -Gasteiz.
    09/ 07/ 10 - BBK live -Bilbao.
    10/ 07/ 18 -Palau Sant jordi -Barcelona.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    DewieCox said:
    I don't know, I am super excited with this album. I can't get enough of it.
    It's in my top 3. 
    Each to their own I suppose. 
    Could the same thing be said of Pearl Jam or REM? Their sound doesn't go onto something completely new.

Not something completely new, but not exact parts rearranged, either. I can’t think of a band that has recycled riffs more than Tool. 
    Thank god someone else hears them.

TY
    I do hear that too. I mentioned it to a friend that one of Justin's bass lines sounds incredibly familiar. 
    Only 1?  Keep listening.

There were a few parts, 2, that were on 10,000 days that were exactly like parts on Lateralus and Aenima.  I gave tose 2 a pass because of the whole body of work.

This album isn't getting that same courtesy.
    it's just the one that jumped out at me immediately. not being a big tool fanboy, others won't be so obvious to me. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    DewieCox said:
    I don't know, I am super excited with this album. I can't get enough of it.
    It's in my top 3. 
    Each to their own I suppose. 
    Could the same thing be said of Pearl Jam or REM? Their sound doesn't go onto something completely new.

Not something completely new, but not exact parts rearranged, either. I can’t think of a band that has recycled riffs more than Tool. 
    Thank god someone else hears them.

TY
    I admit that i haven't listen to much TOOL at all, but i played this Album about 4 times and it almost sounds like one long song to me.

I'll give it a few more listens. MAYBE something will grab me?
  • I understand how some could not love this album. It’s like a 7 course meal when all you want is a sandwich. Some of it sounds familiar but the same can be said for any band. This album is so deep and full of complex experiences that judging it now seems premature. But this album to me is a journey. With every moment of the journey your feeling new things and finding new favorites. It has been my treadmill staple and just puts me in a zone. Every listen gets better and better. I love this album but like all music, to each their own. Give it time. It will grow on you. 

Side note: Weed makes it an even better musical journey and optimal audio is a must. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    I understand how some could not love this album. It’s like a 7 course meal when all you want is a sandwich. Some of it sounds familiar but the same can be said for any band. This album is so deep and full of complex experiences that judging it now seems premature. But this album to me is a journey. With every moment of the journey your feeling new things and finding new favorites. It has been my treadmill staple and just puts me in a zone. Every listen gets better and better. I love this album but like all music, to each their own. Give it time. It will grow on you. 

Side note: Weed makes it an even better musical journey and optimal audio is a must. 
    Good explanation! I still haven't listened to this one without headphones and I have been more or less hypnotized for the duration of the album each time.

It is like other Tool albums in that more layers reveal themselves with each listen.

The next test is the car. If I can make it to work without crashing, I'll know that I can casually enjoy FI. However, I know I'll want to sit in the parking lot until the end of 7empest before going inside. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    The best thing this new album has done is make me appreciate old school Tool even more. I've always been in the Aenima corner for best album, but I've been playing Undertow on repeat a lot lately. I love driving to that album. Did that a lot in college. Never gets old. Lyrics, guitars, drums, overall listening experience; perfection.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    I like this album more than 10,000 Days.
    It's been in my car, on my spin bike as I work out, in the bathroom whilst I manscape and shower, and accompanying me on my train journeys. Always listening. I am so excited about it.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387
    edited September 2019

I love this album. I feel like some things could be nit picked (Pneuma does sound a bit too much like Schism out the gate, but I like the journey that song takes the listener on). I think Descending and Invincible are very strong tracks, as is 7empest. I’m still working on Culling Voices, and while I love the first half of the title track, I don’t love the climax but again, to each his own. 

As far as recycled riffs go, meh... it’s Tool sounding like Tool. Would I love something more experimental? Possibly. Or maybe that might suck worse than a few bass lines sounding similar to prior stuff, idk. I appreciate artists who take chances, but OTOH, I’m glad one of my favorite bands added another strong album to their catalog (& would MUCH prefer more of the same from Tool as opposed to something very experimental & ambitious, but falling short of what we’ve come to expect from them.) & IMO this may be Adam Jones’ greatest musical accomplishment, I really can’t get enough of the guitar work on this album. 

Edit: The one thing I really need with this album is more time. Like every other Tool album, I’ll be working on FI for a while. I expect many more discoveries / revelations and also for my opinion of EVERY song to change, even if it’s just a little. 

Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • I love this album. I feel like some things could be nit picked (Pneuma does sound a bit too much like Schism out the gate, but I like the journey that song takes the listener on). I think Descending and Invincible are very strong tracks, as is 7empest. I’m still working on Culling Voices, and while I love the first half of the title track, I don’t love the climax but again, to each his own. 

As far as recycled riffs go, meh... it’s Tool sounding like Tool. Would I love something more experimental? Possibly. Or maybe that might suck worse than a few bass lines sounding similar to prior stuff, idk. I appreciate artists who take chances, but OTOH, I’m glad one of my favorite bands added another strong album to their catalog (& would MUCH prefer more of the same from Tool as opposed to something very experimental & ambitious, but falling short of what we’ve come to expect from them.) & IMO this may be Adam Jones’ greatest musical accomplishment, I really can’t get enough of the guitar work on this album. 

Edit: The one thing I really need with this album is more time. Like every other Tool album, I’ll be working on FI for a while. I expect many more discoveries / revelations and also for my opinion of EVERY song to change, even if it’s just a little. 

Good stuff.

I still say it's a good album just not a great one.

Something that I do think is missing is a new sound.  Every album there was something unmistakable on the album whether it was the drum in stinkfist or the guitar effects(pick your song).

After 13 years you'd think there would have been something new?
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    edited September 2019
    To me it’s not nitpicking or just a similar riff here and there. With this and 10k Days, you can practically go riff by riff and find an earlier example of something nearly identical. Can’t think of a big, well respected band that’s a worse offender on this front. 

Adam Jones greatest accomplishment? GTFO with that. Go listen to Ænima and try to keep a straight face when remembering that notion.

For the record, I’m enjoying FI, even though I don’t think it stacks up to the 2 headed Ænima/Lateralus monster.

Post edited by DewieCox on
  • I love this album. I feel like some things could be nit picked (Pneuma does sound a bit too much like Schism out the gate, but I like the journey that song takes the listener on). I think Descending and Invincible are very strong tracks, as is 7empest. I’m still working on Culling Voices, and while I love the first half of the title track, I don’t love the climax but again, to each his own. 

Good stuff.

Something that I do think is missing is a new sound.  Every album there was something unmistakable on the album whether it was the drum in stinkfist or the guitar effects(pick your song).

Fair, it does sound a lot like more of the same. The musicians are all much better (imagine Danny Carry getting BETTER than he was?) & while I do think Jones goes above & beyond with his guitar licks, it is a lot more of the same, I can’t deny that, but “the same” is REALLY f’n good, so I’ll take it.   :D

Good stuff.

Fair, it does sound a lot like more of the same. The musicians are all much better (imagine Danny Carry getting BETTER than he was?) & while I do think Jones goes above & beyond with his guitar licks, it is a lot more of the same, I can’t deny that, but “the same” is REALLY f’n good, so I’ll take it.   :D
    Again, it is a GOOD album.  I'm listening every day to find that next nugget that I've missed in previous listening.
  • Liam stays winning

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    It's been in my car, on my spin bike as I work out, in the bathroom whilst I manscape and shower, and accompanying me on my train journeys. Always listening. I am so excited about it.
    I agree with this (so far).  But I also really liked 10,000 Days for the first month or so, then found myself skipping more than half the album.  I do feel that Fear Inocolum is going to hold up better in the long run.  I'd still put it behind Ænima & Lateralus, and Undertow is a completely different animal so to compare & rank in relation to each other would be unfair imo.
  • tbergs said:
    The best thing this new album has done is make me appreciate old school Tool even more. I've always been in the Aenima corner for best album, but I've been playing Undertow on repeat a lot lately. I love driving to that album. Did that a lot in college. Never gets old. Lyrics, guitars, drums, overall listening experience; perfection.
    Same. I enjoy how adult me views these songs vs. teenage me. Especially while listening to "Swamp Song" on headphones around my coworkers.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387
    edited September 2019
    I agree with this (so far).  But I also really liked 10,000 Days for the first month or so, then found myself skipping more than half the album.  I do feel that Fear Inocolum is going to hold up better in the long run.  I'd still put it behind Ænima & Lateralus, and Undertow is a completely different animal so to compare & rank in relation to each other would be unfair imo.

When I went back through the catalog listening to each album in full in advance of FI being released, I finally came to the conclusion that I just don't like Wings for Marie or 10K Days. I find both tracks very boring and anticlimactic, and as a center piece of the album, very underwhelming. I get the significance of the songs from Maynard's perspective, and I'm glad I got to see them performed live once, but at the end of the day neither song does anything for me.

I was concerned in advance of FI coming out that we would be getting more music along those lines, and I'm glad this wasn't the case.

Jambi, Rosetta Stoned, & Right in Two are all I REALLY love off of that album. The Pot, Intension & Vicarious are good enough, but neither would come close to my favorite Tool songs.

10,000 Days is by far my least favorite Tool album.

• pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    edited September 2019

When I went back through the catalog listening to each album in full in advance of FI being released, I finally came to the conclusion that I just don't like Wings for Marie or 10K Days. I find both tracks very boring and anticlimactic, and as a center piece of the album, very underwhelming. I get the significance of the songs from Maynard's perspective, and I'm glad I got to see them performed live once, but at the end of the day neither song does anything for me.

I was concerned in advance of FI coming out that we would be getting more music along those lines, and I'm glad this wasn't the case.

Jambi, Rosetta Stoned, & Right in Two are all I REALLY love off of that album. The Pot, Intension & Vicarious are good enough, but neither would come close to my favorite Tool songs.

That's funny, since I am almost the opposite. Wings 1 and 2 are some of my favorites. Rosetta Stoned (lyrically the way Maynard sings it) might be my least favorite on it. And Undertow is my least favorite album. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...

I hear you.  Wings/10K is 17 minutes of yawn.  Whenever I throw this album on, it's Vicarious -> Jambi -> The Pot -> Rosetta Stoned (with or without Lost Keys, prefer it without).
  • I like this album more than 10,000 Days.

I hear you.  Wings/10K is 17 minutes of yawn.  Whenever I throw this album on, it's Vicarious -> Jambi -> The Pot -> Rosetta Stoned (with or without Lost Keys, prefer it without).

Intension is a toss up for me, but I rarely skip Right in Two.

That's funny, since I am almost the opposite. Wings 1 and 2 are some of my favorites. Rosetta Stoned (lyrically the way Maynard sings it) might be my least favorite on it. And Undertow is my least favorite album. 

I freakin LOVE Undertow so much. It doesn't compare to Aenima, or Lateralus for me when all is said & done, but it's easily my third favorite in the discography. 

I love how your opinion about Wings & Rosetta is the polar opposite of mine. IMO that speaks to how amazing this band is.

• tbergs said:
    Same. I enjoy how adult me views these songs vs. teenage me. Especially while listening to "Swamp Song" on headphones around my coworkers.
    Swamp Song is STILL one of my fav's!

In 10,000 days you don't like the part when she demands her wings?  I love the singing in that part and how it built up to it.

In 10,000 days you don't like the part when she demands her wings?  I love the singing in that part and how it built up to it.

I do like that part, and the emotion behind the song / subject matter is pretty powerful, but it's still not enough to carry the otherwise lackluster two part song for me.

That part is ok.  It's the 13 minutes (guessing here, I don't know exact placement) leading up to it that bore me.  I'm also over Maynard crying about his mother (I felt this way in 2006, too, it's not a new discovery).  And I'm not knocking him or her or her disease, either one of their faiths, or anything, and I can't imagine losing my mother, either... just... we've had enough songs about it.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    I maybe in the minority but I really do not dislike any normal Tool song. I always skip the random songs when listening or omit them from my playlist but besides that I enjoy each one. Some more than others of course. 

Also really surprised my Tool Army subscription was refunded upon request. Still waiting for it to go into my bank account but the email was sent that they were processing it at least.  
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722
    Agreed. I couldn't sit here and try to rank albums or songs.

All I can say is I keep alternating between various songs on this album blowing my mind.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • PJNB said:
    I maybe in the minority but I really do not dislike any normal Tool song. I always skip the random songs when listening or omit them from my playlist but besides that I enjoy each one. Some more than others of course. 

Also really surprised my Tool Army subscription was refunded upon request. Still waiting for it to go into my bank account but the email was sent that they were processing it at least.  
    Glad to hear you're getting the refund.