PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    I thought 86 was a pretty safe bet coming in.  I bought the hype which was dumb. What was the total wins for vegas?

I think this was a really disappointing season and I don't think the outlook is all that great.  They have 4 good players.  Juggs calls them underachieving, I am not so sure.  I also don't know that there is a big contract that could patch it up in Rendon or Cole (DON'T GO NEAR HIM, HE'S ALL OURS).  Need more than 1 or two players and need Kingery and Hoskins to continue developing. 

Segura is who he has always been.  He's fine. McCutchen..every team has players get hurt.  It's just not a very good baseball team, stating the obvious.  And they have probably the 2nd most annoying manager in baseball.

89.5 was their O/U

Tons of injuries and shit but I don’t see how this isn’t an underachieving team. Very disappointing. 
    Because everyone is playing to who they are.  No one is really having a down season, are they?  
    Their entire bullpen is injured and they lost Mcutchen early on. 
    Rhys has hit like .180 since the break so I’d say he’s not playing to his capabilities.
    The rotation behind Nola was not good to begin with but they’ve been way worse that in previous years as well. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I thought 86 was a pretty safe bet coming in.  I bought the hype which was dumb. What was the total wins for vegas?

I think this was a really disappointing season and I don't think the outlook is all that great.  They have 4 good players.  Juggs calls them underachieving, I am not so sure.  I also don't know that there is a big contract that could patch it up in Rendon or Cole (DON'T GO NEAR HIM, HE'S ALL OURS).  Need more than 1 or two players and need Kingery and Hoskins to continue developing. 

Segura is who he has always been.  He's fine. McCutchen..every team has players get hurt.  It's just not a very good baseball team, stating the obvious.  And they have probably the 2nd most annoying manager in baseball.

89.5 was their O/U

Tons of injuries and shit but I don’t see how this isn’t an underachieving team. Very disappointing. 
    Because everyone is playing to who they are.  No one is really having a down season, are they?  
    Their entire bullpen is injured and they lost Mcutchen early on. 
    Rhys has hit like .180 since the break so I’d say he’s not playing to his capabilities.
    The rotation behind Nola was not good to begin with but they’ve been way worse that in previous years as well. 

Every team has injuries.  Rhys has an .860 OPS in his 2nd full season.
    edited September 2019
    I think there's a difference between expectations and what's realistic. Based on expectations they've grossly underachieved, but the realities of this roster I'd say they're going to win more game than they should. Rotation is Nola then nobody. Bullpen is nobody then nobody at this point - their 9th best reliever is their "setup man" right now (I use that term very, very loosely). The bench was always short and shallow re: depth from the beginning. And the lineup outside of Kingery/Hoskins/Harper/Realmuto is nothing impressive when supported by the rest of this lineup. I think to be disappointed with this team as it stands right now is kind of irrational to be honest.
    Disappointed based on expectations and hype coming in, but when you see who's going out there, it makes sense.  But I very much agree this is not an under achieving team.  The roster is slop
    I think there's a difference between expectations and what's realistic. Based on expectations they've grossly underachieved, but the realities of this roster I'd say they're going to win more game than they should. Rotation is Nola then nobody. Bullpen is nobody then nobody at this point - their 9th best reliever is their "setup man" right now (I use that term very, very loosely). The bench was always short and shallow re: depth from the beginning. And the lineup outside of Kingery/Hoskins/Harper/Realmuto is nothing impressive when supported by the rest of this lineup. I think to be disappointed with this team as it stands right now is kind of irrational to be honest.
    Pretty much. Basically they had little room for things to go wrong. And then a lot of things went wrong. 

I dont think its irrational to be disapointed based off the expectations though. I think that’s normal. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Pretty much. Basically they had little room for things to go wrong. And then a lot of things went wrong. 

I dont think its irrational to be disapointed based off the expectations though. I think that’s normal. 
    Haha, I guess better stated on my end would be, or should be, the expectations were irrational. Luckily the league is still slop as a whole so who knows.

Regardless, I'll be there next week for the kid's 2nd birthday. The obsession with the Phanatic started early.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    this pretty much sums it up perfectly. i think we all hoped they would be better especially if everything went right.  lots has gone wrong though.  they are down 2 starting outfielders and the whole bullpen other than average closer Neris.  oh and their manager sucks too.  harper and realmuto have been fun to watch though.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

89.5 was their O/U

zero talent cannot underachieve.  it's impossible
    edited September 2019
    hoskins kinda sucks.  he might be a worse fielder than howard, which is terrifying.  I like his approach at the plate, but if you can't hit then a solid approach will only get you so far.  at the end of the day I don't think he's a core player on a good team.  the good news is that they haven't paid him yet, which will be a mistake when they inevitably do

I agree with most of what you say.  which is why it's hilarious that most fans of this team hate kapler so much.  Casey Stengel couldn't win with this dumpster fire of a roster
    Post edited by The Fixer on
    The Fixer said:

89.5 was their O/U

You thought a zero talent team could win 86 games? 
    chinese-happy.jpg

the expectations were off base.  they're not underachieving as a whole, they just flat out suck
    edited September 2019
    The Fixer said:

89.5 was their O/U

You thought a zero talent team could win 86 games? 
    yes.  four good players.  I was wrong to say they could win the WC or division with that many wins.  that win total doesn't align with either of those statements, so that was really dumb to include that.

at the end of the day everyone here knows what I think of the franchise.  nothing will change until middleton shuts up, fires macphail, and they reconstruct the entire thing.  I'm not holding my breath
    The Fixer said:
    hoskins kinda sucks.  he might be a worse fielder than howard, which is terrifying.  I like his approach at the plate, but if you can't hit then a solid approach will only get you so far.  at the end of the day I don't think he's a core player on a good team.  the good news is that they haven't paid him yet, which will be a mistake when they inevitably do
    I don't think he's great, but I don't think he sucks. I see this more as his floor. He's controllable for like 4 or 5 more years so to me he's a part of the lineup and I'm fine with that. I think Bohm ends up your 1B at some point.

My biggest concern of filling a positional need is CF.
    The Fixer said:
    I don't think he's great, but I don't think he sucks. I see this more as his floor. He's controllable for like 4 or 5 more years so to me he's a part of the lineup and I'm fine with that. I think Bohm ends up your 1B at some point.

I saw someone on twitter, Stolnis maybe, compare him to Burrell. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited September 2019
    The Fixer said:

their biggest issue (outside of having a president with a clue -- Team Fire MacPhail) is pitching.  they currently have one good pitcher and one good pitching prospect (and we know their track record of developing pitchers, so even howard is a question mark until proven otherwise -- Keith Law's most recent scouting report on howard mentioned that the phillies had him stop throwing his second best pitch.  haha).

I said before the season that this team was looking at a short window based on their roster.  they're not close to winning anything and most of their recent moves were a prime example of them trying to accelerate their half assed rebuild and sprinting to mediocrity.  I'd rather have crawford than segura at short.  I'd much rather have kingery playing second every day than hernandez.  Really don't have much young talent -- hasely is a fourth OF at best, moniak looks like a giant bust.  it's not promising going forward.

It's a rudderless ship.  Reminds me of the sixers pre-hinkie.  Tough to watch and incredibly frustrating as a fan.  I hope they lose out -- best way for changes to transpire
    I specified positional player kinda for that reason. Obviously they need to fix the rotation, and that will be way harder to do than the lineup.
    There is absolutely no play in baseball worse than a walk off walk 
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • There is absolutely no play in baseball worse than a walk off walk 
    The only thing that could be worse is balking in a man from third. 

2.5 games out of the wildcard with 17 games left. Whether they make it or not, it’s nice to have meaningful baseball in September 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com

Lets go phils?

Lets go phils?
    who's that?
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Yours truly. Good times
    Haha
    A buddy from work once saw my wife and I on the kiss cam at a Sixers game a few years back
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Hasely has turned into a pleasant surprise this year. I like the short swing. Defense has been great too
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited September 2019
    Yours truly. Good times
    awesome! not too many people at the game though or so it looks like
    Post edited by eeriepadave on
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Yooo, the bar at the new four seasons is siiiiiick. You look down on liberty place. The elevator ride up is wild too  take your gals 
    Wait, Cliff, but when did you start playing the goddamn bongos?
    Wait, Cliff, but when did you start playing the goddamn bongos?
    A master on the bongos
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Yooo, the bar at the new four seasons is siiiiiick. You look down on liberty place. The elevator ride up is wild too  take your gals 
    I want to do this 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    edited September 2019
    The ‘08 team scored 799 runs...

In other words this team needs:
    PITCHING
    PITCHING
    PITCHING
    PITCHING
    PITCHING
    PITCHING
    and some more PITCHING
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Just bought tickets to Strand of Oaks's Friday night show as part of their Winter Classic at Boot & Saddle. Gonna be good times.