Where would you rather live the US or Sweden

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Canada
    Of course, maybe being home to Nickleback, Celine Dion, Avril Lavigne and that Bieber kid put us at 18.

But Rush should counter those 4...lol

Give Peas A Chance…
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    U.S.A.
    mcgruff10 said:
    Lucky number 13 for me! Sweden is ranked lower than the US at 14.  
    https://ceoworld.biz/2019/04/11/best-quality-of-life-2019/

So Sweden is the worst of the Scandinavian countries, doesn't sound that great of a country.  Sucks to suck.
    Canada all the way down to 18...wtf...I have a great quality of life.  It is all about perspective, I suppose if I was homeless, I'd have a different view...lol
    Hell, considering the standard of living today compared to historically, you probably wouldn't see much of a difference between 18 and 1.  
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    U.S.A.
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

So Sweden is the worst of the Scandinavian countries, doesn't sound that great of a country.  Sucks to suck.
    Canada all the way down to 18...wtf...I have a great quality of life.  It is all about perspective, I suppose if I was homeless, I'd have a different view...lol
    I think your lack of a craft beer industry brought it way down.   Who the hell could be happy drinking Molson and Labatt?
    We have a robust craft beer industry, but we also have access to Cannabis without being hassled by the police...that should move us into at least 14...
    Robust?  Please elaborate.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I think your lack of a craft beer industry brought it way down.   Who the hell could be happy drinking Molson and Labatt?
    Craft beer is massive on the West Coast, and I literally don't know anyone who has drank Molson or Labatt since they they were in college.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    U.S.A.
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

We have a robust craft beer industry, but we also have access to Cannabis without being hassled by the police...that should move us into at least 14...
    How many do you need?  We have too many in this country.  That's an industry that is going to pop as soon as the recession takes root.  
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    U.S.A.
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Craft beer is massive on the West Coast, and I literally don't know anyone who has drank Molson or Labatt since they they were in college.
    But you guys have more than the West Coast.  Craft beer needs to be everywhere in order for you guys to move up in the ranking.  Don't be such an elitist Ms. West Coast.  ;)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    Canada
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Well, I am not a big beer drinker, I prefer wine...but I see all kinds of craft beer festivals and plenty of craft beer for sale...I could not tell you what the taste is like.  But I assume if they are having lots of festivals the beer must be good...also we no longer own Labbatts or Molsons...and yes, they do suck.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

But you guys have more than the West Coast.  Craft beer needs to be everywhere in order for you guys to move up in the ranking.  Don't be such an elitist Ms. West Coast.  ;)
    I only mentioned the West Coast, because I only know about the West Coast as far as the craft beer industry goes. I have no clue if it's all across the country, but I don't see why it wouldn't be. Where did you get the idea that craft beer isn't a huge thing in Canada? Our Molson and Labatt is like the US's Budweiser. Everyone knows it sucks - it's for trailer parks and really young drinkers.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    U.S.A.
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

How many do you need?  We have too many in this country.  That's an industry that is going to pop as soon as the recession takes root.  
    People keep saying that, it's just not true.  There is a ton of space taken up by shitty beer that craft breweries can still take.  Now - the craft breweries trying to grow to be regional or even national brands are at risk as they take on debt for equipment etc.  Those are the ones that will fail.  Those that stay local and make good beer (or even decent beer) will have nothing to fear.
    hippiemom = goodness
    U.S.A.
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I only mentioned the West Coast, because I only know about the West Coast as far as the craft beer industry goes. I have no clue if it's all across the country, but I don't see why it wouldn't be. Where did you get the idea that craft beer isn't a huge thing in Canada? Our Molson and Labatt is like the US's Budweiser. Everyone knows it sucks - it's for trailer parks and really young drinkers.
    The few cities I have been too in Canada i haven’t really seen a lot of craft beer. 

• benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Not I! We've got a nice craft beer scene these days in Toronto. My favourite is the Thai-P-A. Lemongrass-infused IPA that's surprising and delicious. Goes well with a lake and a dock. But, at the end of the day - gin is my alcohol of choice anyways. And weed is my vice of choice typically. 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    Canada
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

The few cities I have been too in Canada i haven’t really seen a lot of craft beer. 

Well, your perception isn't accurate.
    Canada
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Hell, considering the standard of living today compared to historically, you probably wouldn't see much of a difference between 18 and 1.  
    I agree ... in many cases, it comes down to what we most comfortable with.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    U.S.A.
    There's some great east coast brewers.  One of my favorites is Dogfish out of DE.   Second is one out of Charlottesville called Starr Hill.  Highly recommend for those traveling through the mid Atlantic.  We probably have 8 breweries here in Richmond.  I don't know how we support that many.  The city isn't that big.  It's a bubble.  
    U.S.A.
    mrussel1 said:
    There's some great east coast brewers.  One of my favorites is Dogfish out of DE.   Second is one out of Charlottesville called Starr Hill.  Highly recommend for those traveling through the mid Atlantic.  We probably have 8 breweries here in Richmond.  I don't know how we support that many.  The city isn't that big.  It's a bubble.  
    I think we have around ten breweries just in the county I live in! 
    U.S.A.
    Of course, maybe being home to Nickleback, Celine Dion, Avril Lavigne and that Bieber kid put us at 18.

But Rush should counter those 4...lol

Don't forget your favorite Uncle, Neil.  He is a pretty good trump card to throw.  
    U.S.A.
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Well, your perception isn't accurate.
    Montreal, Quebec City  and Sherbrooke literally had none from what I remember.  Toronto and Vancouver had a few but nothing like down here.  
    Canada
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    We have 70 craft breweries in metro Vancouver alone.
    U.S.A.
    mrussel1 said:
    North East - you gotta check out Treeshouse and Hills Farmstead.

I'm not actually a big fan of Starr Hill and too be honest hadn't been a big fan of many from Virginia.  That said, with more breweries each year I'm certain there are some small outstanding ones that I haven't been able to have yet.  Good beer all over brewed by good people that have a passion .... for beer.  Not just $ ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Canada
    Sweden seems like the game Candy Land, 
    Is Candy Land a rip-off of the SWEDISH megasuccess that is Candycrush?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited July 2019
    U.S.A.
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    We have 70 craft breweries in metro Vancouver alone.
    I think we have one hundred in New Jersey. Vancouver is on the short list of Canadian cities I have to revisit.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    Canada
    Lol. No. Candy Land is a classic board game by Hasbro, developed back in the 1940s.
    U.S.A.
    According to an article I found (but can't find again) I think Canada has around 1000 craft breweries.  USA has 7000.  I think Canada was below Russia.
    hippiemom = goodness
    edited July 2019
    Canada
    According to an article I found (but can't find again) I think Canada has around 1000 craft breweries.  USA has 7000.  I think Canada was below Russia.
    Which means that Canada has more craft breweries per capita than the USA. I guess Canadians really love their craft beer! (not me - unfortunately, beer doesn't make me feel too good. I might drink 1 or 2 beers a year, and they're usually Belgian).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    Canada
    I am waiting for the craft cannabis grow ops to start???
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Canada
    5. The government of Sweden controls your access to alcohol.
    In the decade after the second world war, Sweden was really struggling with the problem of alcoholism. After trying several other methods of cracking down on this issue, the government decided on a policy that they called Systembolaget in 1955. This structure is the government-controlled alcohol store, and it is the only place you can purchase products that contain more than 3.5% alcohol.

Is this true?  If so - reason enough to not vote for Sweden!
    Approximately 14 million Americans—7.4 percent of the population —meet the diagnostic criteria for alcohol abuse or alcoholism (Gran et al. 1994).

Sweden (2014) = 446 000 people out of 9 747 355 people = 4.6 percent

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Canada
    PJ_Soul said:
    Lol. No. Candy Land is a classic board game by Hasbro, developed back in the 1940s.
    I only want one boardgame:

U.S.A.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Which means that Canada has more craft breweries per capita than the USA. I guess Canadians really love their craft beer! (not me - unfortunately, beer doesn't make me feel too good. I might drink 1 or 2 beers a year, and they're usually Belgian).
    They both have a sch'load that's for sure.  I never drink more than two IPAs.  I don't think I've ever been drunk on craft beer in my life.  Now give me some vodka, and I can tie one on.  It's the slavic in me.  
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    Canada
    "Where would you rather live" is not quite a response to Chaos's oft-repeated command (show me one Quality of Life metric where Sweden would be "second rate" compared to the US?)

In that thread, I don't know that anyone really showed that: certainly not when talking about pizza, Mexican food, beer, etc.  The tax burden replies came closer.

Hey, Iove what America has to offer: College towns, pro sports, concerts, Mexican food, craft beer, etc.  But I'm not sure any of this is really "quality of life."  I'd rather live in the USA (I voted Canada because I fear my country is on the way to authoritarianism), but I don't think we necessarily have a better quality of life.  In fact, I'm not that fond of the idea that this can really be ranked or quantified.

My personal opinion is that our our reliance on the automobile is bad for quality of life (for reasons already discussed above) and I don't think we should brag about the way we handle our health care.  But hey, our working poor can afford appliances (which bothers Fox News).

My personal answer is "I don't know."  It's also kind of "I don't care." 

1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    U.S.A.
    mcgruff10 said:
    5. The government of Sweden controls your access to alcohol.
    In the decade after the second world war, Sweden was really struggling with the problem of alcoholism. After trying several other methods of cracking down on this issue, the government decided on a policy that they called Systembolaget in 1955. This structure is the government-controlled alcohol store, and it is the only place you can purchase products that contain more than 3.5% alcohol.

Is this true?  If so - reason enough to not vote for Sweden!
    It's not like they did anything in World War 2 so I wonder why the rate of alcoholism went up.  I would have thought that the alcoholic rate went up in countries that actually fought in the war.  Interesting.

This discussion has been closed.