Outrage Culture

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Hi! said:
    The Office. No laugh track, greatest comedy/show of all time.
    Exactly!!  There was nothing on TV before 1999 that was that funny!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    rgambs said:
    Hi! said:
    The Office. No laugh track, greatest comedy/show of all time.
    Exactly!!  There was nothing on TV before 1999 that was that funny!
    "Really??"

"HUH??"

"Say WHAT??"
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• foodshop65foodshop65 Connecticut Posts: 717
    how can there be comedy when everyone is somehow offended by a "word".
    Randall's Island 9-29-1996, MSG 9-10/11-1998, Meadows, CT 9-13-1998, Sacramento 10-30-2000, Bridge School 10-26-2002,MSG 9-8/9-2003, Hartford 2013, Amsterdam 2014(2), Memphis 2014, MSG 5-1/2-2016, Fenway 8-7-16, Fenway 9-2/4-18 MSG 9-11-22
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    This young generation of "adults" is humorless.  Seinfeld,  Maher and others have been highly critical of this issue. 
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    mrussel1 said:
    This young generation of "adults" is humorless.  Seinfeld,  Maher and others have been highly critical of this issue. 
    Here's Seinfeld describing how a pretty harmless joke about a "gay french king" got some audience members' panties in a bunch and he couldn't believe it....

https://youtu.be/KXDHjwaUtPI
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    mrussel1 said:
    Daniel Tosh and Anthony Jeselnik are still pushing boundaries at least.
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    Unpopular opinion, I guess...laugh tracks don't bother me.  Most shows that use them would seem strange without them.  Of course some shows (Cheers and Seinfeld come to mind) had actual audiences. In any case, I barely notice laugh tracks.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    OnWis97 said:
    Unpopular opinion, I guess...laugh tracks don't bother me.  Most shows that use them would seem strange without them.  Of course some shows (Cheers and Seinfeld come to mind) had actual audiences. In any case, I barely notice laugh tracks.
    Same here- I generally don't notice them 

Well, there are exceptions...

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

OnWis97 said:
    Not so fast on Seinfeld. While there are many instances of live audiences on Seinfeld, there's also many instances of laugh tracks. Early seasons are almost always live audiences. Nearly all scenes shot in Jerry's apartment or the coffee shot have live audiences. But in later year when they did more on-location shooting, there'd often times be laugh tracks.

One thing they did try to make it more authentic was re-enact scenes they've already shot on location in front of the studio audience. They'd reenact the scene on the Jerry's apartment set, and then use the live studio audience laughter in the episode. But sometimes that didn't get the desired effect or there were difficulties in dubbing...so they'd go with the laugh track. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited June 2019
    In-studio audience is no better than a laugh-track, it's the same thing as far as I am concerned.  Fake, fake, fake laughter.

For those that don't notice, have you watched any of the newer good quality sitcoms that don't have them?
    They slow a show down so much it becomes intolerable.  Watch a show like Cheers and count the jokes, then watch a show like Always Sunny and count the jokes.  Always Sunny you will probably have to watch twice or 3 times because there are usually 2 or 3 people making wisecracks simultaneously, unlike the plodding tedium of old shows where only one person cracks wise at a time and you have to wait an extra 15 seconds for the fake laughter to die down.

It's just not good programming and it's sad the studios still do it on their "canned for the masses" shows.
    Post edited by rgambs on
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    edited July 2019
    Just one of many examples of people going nuts because a US soccer player dropped the flag during celebration.  

I was wrong to roll my eyes when people would say “...always looking to be offended.”

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChuckCallesto/status/1148315001180086272
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    OnWis97 said:
    Just one of many examples of people going nuts because a US soccer player dropped the flag during celebration.  

I was wrong to roll my eyes when people would say “...always looking to be offended.”

So stupid. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Those damn USA haters!  With all their USA hatin', how'd they ever have time to win the World Cup?!
    OnWis97 said:

I like how the girl behind them quickly picked it up. The other three were just in the moment celebrating their championship. No malice at all in dropping the almighty flag. But the girl behind them seemed to know that some maniacs (like the person whose tweet you posted) would find a reason to be outraged and she tried intervene. 

Where was the outrage when Trump hugged the flag? Especially in this "me too" era. There's no way the flag asked to be groped like that. Trump just walked up and grabbed it by the pussy. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    edited July 2019
    I don't think acting out in public is appropriate but the big guy tackling him is worse, and maybe he really needs to see this movie:

Post edited by brianlux on

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,422

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Ha!
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Funny stuff Mickey 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Berkeley banned the term "manhole" because it is sexist

:lol: 

i hope an alien ship is studying us right now 
    Jason P said:

Come on. Please tell me this isn’t true.  
    mcgruff10 said:
    Jason P said:

No, it's true.
    Jason P said:

Actually, sometimes I think my city of birth has been taken over by aliens.  :lol: 

I lived in Berkeley for several summers.  Really enjoyed it.
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Jason P said:

No, it's true.
    Jason P said:

Actually, sometimes I think my city of birth has been taken over by aliens.  :lol: 
    What

the
    fuck?!?!   I have no words.  
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Jason P said:

No, it's true.
    Jason P said:

What

the
    fuck?!?!   I have no words.  
    No man, seriously!  Aliens!  They look a bit like bears.

I'm guessing sales of Manwich are going to be hurt in Berkeley =)  Gonna have to change the labels to Theywich

How can you ban a word? What's the punishment?
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Sister and Brother are now referred to as siblings instead.

if Neil Armstrong stepped on the moon today...it would be “one small step for they, and one giant leap for theykind...

manpower is now human power...

lol

Give Peas A Chance…
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,422
    brianlux said:

july 19 2029?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14