Options

Outrage Culture

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    jeffbr said:
    ^ That's for sure!
    There are a few delicate flowers who seem to be shocked by Halloween-related horror imagery. 
    Agreed.  I just think it's kind of lame.  I did like the Scooby Doo one.  
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    jeffbr said:
    ^ That's for sure!
    There are a few delicate flowers who seem to be shocked by Halloween-related horror imagery. 
    I'm certainly no delicate flower, Jeff.  More like a jumping cholla.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    jeffbr said:
    ^ That's for sure!

I've never seen a cholla stick to someone like that in my life!
  • Options
    jeffbr said:
    ^ That's for sure!
    Not a fan that Mar a lago and Trump are on it...

I may still buy it because of the homage to old time horror flicks.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I find the $45 total cost for something that will shrink to toddler size after 4 washes even more scary.  

Pretty dumb design for a rock band shirt though.  I hope we are not headed for an album where every song is about Trump. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    brianlux said:
    jeffbr said:
    ^ That's for sure!

I've never seen a cholla stick to someone like that in my life!
    Yeah, pretty severe! 

I accidentally kicked one once while walking in Anza Borego State Park.  I had on well worn leather boots and the sucker went right through the boot and into my toe.  I limped back to camp (fortunately not too fr away) and found pliers in my tool box and yanked it right out.  Hurt like a son-of-a-bitch!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,889
    Before you have outrage:
    https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/girl-recants-false-allegations-white-classmates-cut-dreadlocks-171816039.html

Family issues apology after 6th-grader recants claims that white classmates cut her dreadlocks

A 12-year-old girl who claimed that three classmates forcibly cut off her dreadlocks and called her hair “nappy” has now admitted to making up the allegations, according to a statement issued by her family and school.

The grandparents and guardians of Amari Allen, an African-American sixth-grader at Immanuel Christian School in Springfield, Va., had filed a police report with the Fairfax County Police Department after she spoke of being harassed and pinned down by three white male classmates during recess on Sept. 23. A representative for the local NAACP chapter also told Yahoo Lifestyle last week that her family would be meeting with an attorney.

“They put their hands on my back, they put their hand around my mouth, and they started to cut my hair,” the girl told WJLA, adding that the boys had allegedly made disparaging comments about her dreadlocks.

But she has since recanted the allegations.

“We can now confirm that the student who accused three of her classmates of assault has acknowledged that the allegations were false,” reads a statement sent to Yahoo Lifestyle on behalf of Stephen Danish, the head of school at Immanuel. “We’re grateful to the Fairfax County Police Department for their diligent work to investigate these allegations.

“While we are relieved to hear the truth and bring the events of the past few days to a close, we also feel tremendous pain for the victims and the hurt on both sides of this conflict. We recognize that we now enter what will be a long season of healing. This ordeal has revealed that we as a school family are not immune from the effects of deep racial wounds in our society. We view this incident as an opportunity to be part of a learning and healing process, and we will continue to support the students and families involved.

“We will also continue teaching what we’ve taught for more than 40 years: that the love of God is for all people, and as His children we should demonstrate that love equally to all people regardless of their background, what they believe or how they behave.”

The statement also included an apology from the Allen family, who expressed remorse for “betraying” the trust of those who supported them

“To those young boys and their parents, we sincerely apologize for the pain and anxiety these allegations have caused,” it reads. “To the administrators and families of Immanuel Christian School, we are sorry for the damage this incident has done to trust within the school family and the undue scorn it has brought to the school.

“To the broader community, who rallied in such passionate support for our daughter, we apologize for betraying your trust.

“We understand there will be consequences, and we’re prepared to take responsibility for them. We know that it will take time to heal, and we hope and pray that the boys, their families, the school and the broader community will be able to forgive us in time.”

The school, where second lady Karen Pence teaches art part-time, did not comment on whether or not Amari would face any formal punishment over the incident.

The Fairfax County NAACP chapter, meanwhile, has issued its own statement acknowledging the latest developments and asking for Amari’s privacy to be respected.

“Amari is not a public figure,” it reads. “She is a young girl who made a mistake, and we are asking everyone, supporters and critics alike, to please respect the family’s privacy at this time.”

The statement also urged the public to avoid using this instance to discount other “racially motivated crimes.”

“Too often in these rare instances of fabricated hate crimes, critics use a broad brush to claim racially motivated crimes are virtually non-existent,” it says. “This is demonstrably wrong. Data from numerous sources, including the Anti-Defamation League, the FBI and the Justice Department, shows bias motivated crimes are on the rise, year over year. The fact is that these type of fabrications are isolated incidents, but the public and media has a tendency to sensationalize falsifications over the thousands of real hate crimes reported every year.”

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    "Outrage culture" is a buzzword for the comfortable ignorant. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    edited October 2019
    I mean, it seems to me that it's now being used by people to try and suggest people shouldn't get upset if a horrible accusation of abuse has been made (even by a child). Outrage culture is supposedly a sign that people should always assume a professed abuse victim might be lying until it's proven they aren't, since a very small number of accusations are false, while most are not.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,023
    edited October 2019
    nvm
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I mean, it seems to me that it's now being used by people to try and suggest people shouldn't get upset if a horrible accusation of abuse has been made (even by a child). Outrage culture is supposedly a sign that people should always assume a professed abuse victim might be lying until it's proven they aren't, since a very small number of accusations are false, while most are not.
    "outrage culture" also describes the people who will now be outraged by the lie told by the child, instead of treating it with some semblance of normality, e.g. a stupid kid did a stupid thing.  Let the parents and school deal with it.  Outrage culture is the ongoing process of our society careening from one controversy to another, from left to right, each side steadily one upping each other in calls for people losing their jobs, livelihoods for the mistake of being a flawed human.  
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    "outrage culture" also describes the people who will now be outraged by the lie told by the child, instead of treating it with some semblance of normality, e.g. a stupid kid did a stupid thing.  Let the parents and school deal with it.  Outrage culture is the ongoing process of our society careening from one controversy to another, from left to right, each side steadily one upping each other in calls for people losing their jobs, livelihoods for the mistake of being a flawed human.  
    I don't think hate crimes apply, nor sexual assaults; schools usually handle stuff like that VERY VERY poorly, plus parents and schools are not the police. Sometimes the school and parents 100% should not deal with something, and should never deal with it when a more serious crime is involved, and that includes a violent hate crime, obviously .... But generally I would agree with the careening from controversy to controversy part. I think it would be more apt to call it "media outrage culture" though.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I thought it was the perception (by media, individuals, etc.) that someone did something against the so-called grain.  Usually I see it from the overly-PC, but it runs all gamuts.  Platforms such as Twitter, Facebook and the like only make it easier to spread that indignance and get some ride-alongs.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    hedonist said:
    I thought it was the perception (by media, individuals, etc.) that someone did something against the so-called grain.  Usually I see it from the overly-PC, but it runs all gamuts.  Platforms such as Twitter, Facebook and the like only make it easier to spread that indignance and get some ride-alongs.
    Yes, that is also closer. I just wanted to make sure people don't think that being outraged by crimes is somehow connected to outrage culture (as I thought was hinted at earlier), because it's not.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Eh, outrage culture isn't anything new.  It's just the same amplification that the internet provides to all topics.  Everyone's voice is public now, so their outrage (their racism, bigotry, callousness, greed, self-absorption, idiocy, etc etc) is now more accessible than it ever was, but it isn't more prevalent.

The generations that made an art of gossiping and being outraged about their neighbors and coworkers want to pretend they were all stoic and calm but anybody with half a brain remembers that people would LOSE THEIR FUCKING MINDS when a black man spoke to a white woman, or later used the white drinking fountain, or later when a woman didn't marry, or had a baby out of wedlock, or later when a man dared to be openly gay, or dared to criticize the US government.  Outrage culture isn't new, and it isn't news. 
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't think hate crimes apply, nor sexual assaults; schools usually handle stuff like that VERY VERY poorly, plus parents and schools are not the police. Sometimes the school and parents 100% should not deal with something, and should never deal with it when a more serious crime is involved, and that includes a violent hate crime, obviously .... But generally I would agree with the careening from controversy to controversy part. I think it would be more apt to call it "media outrage culture" though.
    Schools may handle it poorly, but to your point, the social media and twitter handle it even worse.  This issue seems like it was handled appropriately.  Involve the police, let them investigate.  I'm so tired of social media idiots driving the conversation and their unreasonable demands. 
    It's annoying as fuck when I see an article on Huffington or someplace that says "Social media lights up with XXX due to YYY" and then the article goes on to post idiotic tweets from six people I've never heard of or mean nothing.  Who gives a fuck what these yahoos think.  Twitter is platform enough, I don't need to read about their posts somewhere else.   
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Schools may handle it poorly, but to your point, the social media and twitter handle it even worse.  This issue seems like it was handled appropriately.  Involve the police, let them investigate.  I'm so tired of social media idiots driving the conversation and their unreasonable demands. 
    It's annoying as fuck when I see an article on Huffington or someplace that says "Social media lights up with XXX due to YYY" and then the article goes on to post idiotic tweets from six people I've never heard of or mean nothing.  Who gives a fuck what these yahoos think.  Twitter is platform enough, I don't need to read about their posts somewhere else.   
    Yes the article I posted had many people up in arms. Turns out the girl was obviously lying. This reminded me of the French actor who was attacked in Chicago (see Dave Chappelle’s sticks and stones) by two people wearing maga hats and all the outrage that followed.  I know it is hard in this day of age but wait until all the facts come in before reacting. 
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,023
    edited October 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yes the article I posted had many people up in arms. Turns out the girl was obviously lying. This reminded me of the French actor who was attacked in Chicago (see Dave Chappelle’s sticks and stones) by two people wearing maga hats and all the outrage that followed.  I know it is hard in this day of age but wait until all the facts come in before reacting. 
    ...Jussie Smollett is from the US... 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    That's why I said it should be just called media outrage culture. If it weren't for the media (not social media just on its own), nobody would even know about these things. Commenters on social media still need to start with a story that's reported 9 out of 10 times. The actual media needs to report it for everyone to become outraged (but again, there is nothing wrong with feeling outrage about a hate crime).
    That said.... I don't mind seeing the voices of the general public included with a story being reported. These are citizens. Their voices still matter. But the comments should be well curated, not just random idiotic comments. Media outlets still need to edit shit and make it worthwhile, like some intelligent opposing viewpoints or something. So yeah, just dumbass crap tweets being posted thanks to some algorithm that the media outlet is using - that's garbage.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    edited October 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    ...Jussie Smollett is from the US... 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZXoErL2124
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I just don't understand why you're talking about false accusations in the context of outrage culture at all. TBH, I feel like this big focus generally going on with the false accusation thing is a much better example of "outrage culture" than a story that ends up being a false accusation is. Again, there is nothing wrong with feeling outrage over what is thought to be a hate crime.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Because of the “outrage” that followed the initial story before we found out she lied.  It reminded me of the chapelle bit on the “French” actor in Chicago.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    Because of the “outrage” that followed the initial story before we found out she lied.  It reminded me of the chapelle bit on the “French” actor in Chicago.  
    Right...... so you think that people shouldn't feel outrage about hate crimes?
    Sometimes outrage is totally justified. False accusations is a completely different topic. What if those crimes really had happened? Surely you wouldn't think it was unreasonable if the public was outraged about it?? Or when the public is outraged about all the very real hate crimes happening every day? Outrage culture has nothing to do with justified outrage.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Sometimes outrage is totally justified. False accusations is a completely different topic. What if those crimes really had happened? Surely you wouldn't think it was unreasonable if the public was outraged about it?? Or when the public is outraged about all the very real hate crimes happening every day? Outrage culture has nothing to do with justified outrage.
    But here was no crime, so like I said the outrage that followed about the school and rich white entitled kids is where I have a problem. 
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    But here was no crime, so like I said the outrage that followed about the school and rich white entitled kids is where I have a problem. 
    Outraged by the outrage.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    But the outrage came before anyone knew there was no crime (there usually is one), and there are real reasons to be upset about rich entitled white kids when rich entitled white kids commit hate crimes and when schools don't do enough to prevent a school culture where they are occurring ..... Makes no sense. I mean, it makes sense, but not in the context of outrage culture. Under the assumption that the crime had actually happened, that outrage was justified. I just think it's a poor example to be used in an argument about outrage culture. Same with the Jussie Smollet or whatever his name is situation. IF that had happened, that outrage would have been justified. And the outrage that came after the guy was found to be lying was actually more intense, which was also justified. 
    I feel like better examples reside with behaviour on social media that isn't actually related to real news stories. Like when a parent punishes their kid and advertises it on social media for a laugh or as a good example of parenting and some people express complete outrage because the kid was embarrassed by the punishment. Or when someone posts a photo of a dog dressed up like an idiot or when the dog parent plays a funny trick on the dog, and there are the hundreds of inevitable replies about how it's animal abuse, lol. Outrage about what appears to be blatant hate crimes just doesn't seem to qualify.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I agree with you PJ_Soul, the false accusations being injected into the outrage culture don't really fit.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    I agree with you PJ_Soul, the false accusations being injected into the outrage culture don't really fit.
    They fit in my mind and a lot of people I talk to at work agree.  Moving on.  
  • Options
    Probably just a side effect of this completely lop-sided focus on false accusations.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Outraged by the outrage.
    More like Just tired of the bs on each side.