Options

Outrage Culture

Comments

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    mickeyrat said:
      fuck /fʌk  / vulgar slang
    ▸ verb [with object]
    1 have sexual intercourse with (someone).
    ▪ [no object] (of two people) have sexual intercourse.
    2 damage or ruin (something).
    ▸ noun an act of sexual intercourse.
    ▪ [with adjective] a sexual partner of a specified ability.
    ▸ exclamation used alone or as a noun or verb in various phrases to express annoyance, contempt, or impatience.
    – PHRASES
    as — as fuck (also — as fuck) vulgar slang
    possessing the specified quality to very high degree (used for emphasis).
    fuck all /ˈfʌk ˌɔːl  / British vulgar slang
    absolutely nothing.
    give a fuck [usually with negative] vulgar slang
    be concerned about or interested in something.
    go fuck yourself vulgar slang
    an exclamation expressing anger or contempt for, or rejection of, someone.
    – PHRASAL VERBS
    fuck about (or around) vulgar slang spend time doing unimportant or trivial things.
    fuck someone around (or about) vulgar slang waste someone's time.
    fuck off vulgar slang [usually in imperative] (of a person) go away.
    fuck someone off vulgar slang make someone angry.
    fuck someone over US vulgar slang treat someone in an unfair or humiliating way.
    fuck someone up vulgar slang damage or confuse someone emotionally.
    fuck (something) up vulgar slang do something badly or ineptly.
    – ORIGIN early 16th century : of Germanic origin (compare Swedish dialect focka and Dutch dialect fokkelen); possibly from an Indo-European root meaning ‘strike’, shared by Latin pugnus ‘fist’.
    Despite the wideness and proliferation of its use in many sections of society, the word fuck remains (and has been for centuries) one of the most taboo words in English. Until relatively recently it rarely appeared in print; even today, there are a number of euphemistic ways of referring to it in speech and writing, e.g. the F-word, f***, or f—k.

One of the most taboo words in English? 

Oops :lol: 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    edited July 2019
    mickeyrat said:
    ▸ verb [with object]
    ▸ exclamation used alone or as a noun or verb in various phrases to express annoyance, contempt, or impatience.
    – PHRASES
    absolutely nothing.
    – PHRASAL VERBS
    fuck about (or around) vulgar slang spend time doing unimportant or trivial things.
    fuck someone over US vulgar slang treat someone in an unfair or humiliating way.
    – ORIGIN early 16th century : of Germanic origin (compare Swedish dialect focka and Dutch dialect fokkelen); possibly from an Indo-European root meaning ‘strike’, shared by Latin pugnus ‘fist’.
    Despite the wideness and proliferation of its use in many sections of society, the word fuck remains (and has been for centuries) one of the most taboo words in English. Until relatively recently it rarely appeared in print; even today, there are a number of euphemistic ways of referring to it in speech and writing, e.g. the F-word, f***, or f—k.

I don't think the origin is correct. It is Germanic, inasmuch as English is a Germanic language.  But my understanding is that it appeared as early as the 13th or 14th century in written texts.  Now it may be around the King's consent.  That was an ancient 'custom' where a King had the right to de-flower a woman before her wedding day to one of his subjects.  Pretty barbaric, but it happened, almost exclusively in Sweden.   
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,020
    mickeyrat said:
    ▸ verb [with object]
    – PHRASES
    absolutely nothing.
    – PHRASAL VERBS

Fuck all that noise...
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    ▸ verb [with object]
    – PHRASES
    absolutely nothing.
    – PHRASAL VERBS

I don't think the origin is correct. It is Germanic, inasmuch as English is a Germanic language.  But my understanding is that it appeared as early as the 13th or 14th century in written texts.  Now it may be around the King's consent.  That was an ancient 'custom' where a King had the right to de-flower a woman before her wedding day to one of his subjects.  Pretty barbaric, but it happened, almost exclusively in Sweden.   
    The King’s consent thing appears to be an urban myth which has been disproved. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    ▸ verb [with object]
    – PHRASES
    absolutely nothing.
    – PHRASAL VERBS

The King’s consent thing appears to be an urban myth which has been disproved. 
    Disproved by historians or the internet?  Also, I've also been more inclined to the belief that it was For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, a violation of the Church law.  
  • Options
    Also, as a general rule of thumb, very few words originally derive from acronyms, and those that do are relatively new ones. 
  • Options
    Also, as a general rule of thumb, very few words originally derive from acronyms, and those that do are relatively new ones. 
    I agree that acronyms are relatively recent in history, but I'm not sure that closes the case.  I always found this one interesting.  I just read the "Snopes" on this, but I think the author makes a conclusion based on a bad assumption.  He says the because the stocks would treat the word "for" as superfluous, it can't be the origin.  That seems like rather silly evidence, using that as your only reason.  Now it's hard to prove a negative, proving that something didn't exist, so I get that.  I'm still going to use it though.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    I agree that acronyms are relatively recent in history, but I'm not sure that closes the case.  I always found this one interesting.  I just read the "Snopes" on this, but I think the author makes a conclusion based on a bad assumption.  He says the because the stocks would treat the word "for" as superfluous, it can't be the origin.  That seems like rather silly evidence, using that as your only reason.  Now it's hard to prove a negative, proving that something didn't exist, so I get that.  I'm still going to use it though.  
    Van Halen used it on their album too!
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,797
    edited July 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    ▸ verb [with object]
    – PHRASES
    absolutely nothing.
    – PHRASAL VERBS

websters lists it first known use as a verb  is 14 century, based on the swedish and dutch shown above...
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    ▸ verb [with object]
    – PHRASES
    absolutely nothing.
    – PHRASAL VERBS

websters lists it first known use as 14 century....
    Probably in the context of "what's with all these fucking rats"?  

That was a plague joke... 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah I remember I was 'seeing' this girl at the time and we referred to her affectionately as "poundcake".  I think that was the only decent song from that album. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah I remember I was 'seeing' this girl at the time and we referred to her affectionately as "poundcake".  I think that was the only decent song from that album. 
    You are mistaken as there aren't any good songs on that album...
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Ha! Touche.  It sucked.  
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Snopes isn’t the only source that disagrees with you. You seem so convinced  of your origin story - is fuck really the hill you want to die on? :lol: 
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    mrussel1 said:
    Snopes isn’t the only source that disagrees with you. You seem so convinced  of your origin story - is fuck really the hill you want to die on? :lol: 
    If you are going to die anyway...that sounds like the hill to do it on
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,609
    I thought Eddie explained it one of the two Boston shows last year?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    I've believed this for the better part of 30 years.  Internet hacks won't convince me of otherwise.  Now if a true historian or etymologist comes out with something (if they bother), then probably.  Until then, I'll continue to have fun with it.  
  • Options
    I thought Eddie explained it one of the two Boston shows last year?
    Yeah, and he marveled at the multiple uses of the word.  And then told politicians to fuck off.  So I guess his story had a point.  
  • Options
    Image result for FUCK on foreign license plate
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited July 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    FWIW Brian, I don't think we've crossed any line and aren't at risk of getting banned from this conversation. ;)
    Like I already said, I do think there are real reasons to be very concerned about the honeybee die off, if what you are concerned about is the food supply/agriculture (but also about the ecosystem in general). And I really think we need to be concerned about that, especially as I also think we are RIGHT on the edge of some really serious problems because of climate change. We need all the successful crops we can get right now. But also, other pollinators are indeed dying off. Here are a couple articles:

I should add.... isn't a whole species, whatever it is, becoming threatened and going through a massive die-off a legit thing to feel outraged about in any case, especially considering the fact that pesticide use is a major factor in it happening?
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/wild-bee-population_n_5d374e6fe4b004b6adb709d6

Honeybees are destroying America, and they need to go back to the shithole countries from which they came. :lol:
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    mrussel1 said:
    When did SNOPES (Super Neighborly Organization to Prove Everyone's Shit) start spelling itself out with lower-case letters?
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,721
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    FWIW Brian, I don't think we've crossed any line and aren't at risk of getting banned from this conversation. ;)
    Like I already said, I do think there are real reasons to be very concerned about the honeybee die off, if what you are concerned about is the food supply/agriculture (but also about the ecosystem in general). And I really think we need to be concerned about that, especially as I also think we are RIGHT on the edge of some really serious problems because of climate change. We need all the successful crops we can get right now. But also, other pollinators are indeed dying off. Here are a couple articles:

I should add.... isn't a whole species, whatever it is, becoming threatened and going through a massive die-off a legit thing to feel outraged about in any case, especially considering the fact that pesticide use is a major factor in it happening?

Honeybees are destroying America, and they need to go back to the shithole countries from which they came. :lol:
    LOL

Good article, actually.  It points out why wild bees are more important (and at least as endangered) as imported exotics like the honeybee.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Be Best, don’t bee-ist. 
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    Rage Against the Machine’s ‘The Battle of Los Angeles’ Is 20, and It Hasn’t Aged a Day
    Rage was loud, angry, and activist. They saw the future and screamed about it. Until they didn’t anymore.
    https://www.theringer.com/music/2019/7/29/8934549/rage-against-the-machine-battle-los-angeles-best-album-1999
    good read
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Ha! Touche.  It sucked.  
    as a guy who was about 15 when that album came out, I wholeheartedly disagree that it sucked. it was on constant rotation in my buddy's mustang to and from the beach every weekend. 

and to answer your next question, yes, i was still a flaming virgin at the end of that summer. But FUCK ROCKED! 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Ha! Touche.  It sucked.  
    as a guy who was about 15 when that album came out, I wholeheartedly disagree that it sucked. it was on constant rotation in my buddy's mustang to and from the beach every weekend. 

and to answer your next question, yes, i was still a flaming virgin at the end of that summer. But FUCK ROCKED! 
    Is that nostalgia or can you still say it's good?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Ha! Touche.  It sucked.  

Is that nostalgia or can you still say it's good?
    I haven't listened to VH in years, and don't really care to, it's not my thing anymore, but I honestly think it's still a really good record. 

I'm going to put on that record just for giggles later. I'll report back tomorrow. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    See the pj Halloween T-shirt thread for some fake outrage. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    ^ That's for sure!
    There are a few delicate flowers who seem to be shocked by Halloween-related horror imagery. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08