Options

Outrage Culture

Comments

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    I'm still confused at what irked people about what Rowling tweeted?
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,788
    mickeyrat said:
    essentially that she supported an academic who stated that physical sex is binary and believed said academic shouldnt be fired for such a position.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    mickeyrat said:
    kevin hart actually did this first. he refused to re-apologize for something he said years ago and had apparently apologized for, told the academy to stick it, and his career is arguably still on the upswing (albeit with a much appreciated assist from The Rock). i hate to say it, but those on the right saying "don't submit to the mob" are absolutely right. admission and apology seem to be the death knell for most, if not all. 

if you mean it, that you were wrong, absolutely apologize. but doing it just to appease the masses won't help you. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    essentially that she supported an academic who stated that physical sex is binary and believed said academic shouldnt be fired for such a position.
    I really don't investigate most of the definitions that are thrown around because they aren't in my wheel house so I had to look this one up.

So a woman said that sex should be w a man and a woman and she was ok with that.

Got it.  

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    kevin hart actually did this first. he refused to re-apologize for something he said years ago and had apparently apologized for, told the academy to stick it, and his career is arguably still on the upswing (albeit with a much appreciated assist from The Rock). i hate to say it, but those on the right saying "don't submit to the mob" are absolutely right. admission and apology seem to be the death knell for most, if not all. 

if you mean it, that you were wrong, absolutely apologize. but doing it just to appease the masses won't help you. 
    Stories recirculate and might be new to some people so the cycle starts again, hence the asking of Hart to apologize again.

Bernie Mac would have had to change his routine too if he were still around.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    I really don't investigate most of the definitions that are thrown around because they aren't in my wheel house so I had to look this one up.

So a woman said that sex should be w a man and a woman and she was ok with that.

Got it.  

I read the quote that "gender"  is binary, not fluid.  Not that the intimate act of sex can only happen between a man and a woman.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Got it.  

I read the quote that "gender"  is binary, not fluid.  Not that the intimate act of sex can only happen between a man and a woman.  
    I went back and read her tweet again and read what this Maya person believes.

Basically Rowlings says do what makes you happy but I am backing a feminist in Maya who believes in binary, man and woman.

Between you and what was said had me all in a cloud but, I got it now.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Got it.  

I understood it to mean, biological sex is binary. born physically female or male.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Got it.  

mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Got it.  

I understood it to mean, biological sex is binary. born physically female or male.

Yes, I think that’s what she meant. It’s not correct, but I don’t think someone should be fired for it. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Got it.  

mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Got it.  

Yes, I think that’s what she meant. It’s not correct, but I don’t think someone should be fired for it. 
     I understand your sex is mainly binary man/woman (except in some rare cases of intersex) and gender is fluid. There are many genders now. Am I wrong?
  • Options
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Got it.  

mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Got it.  

I understand your sex is mainly binary man/woman (except in some rare cases of intersex) and gender is fluid. There are many genders now. Am I wrong?
    No, it isn’t that simple. Biological sex is far more complex. Individuals born with clear intersex genitalia are not in fact rare - it’s twice as common as schizophrenia - but there are many more levels to it than that. 

• Options
    Just wanted to say that in my comparison above I was not suggesting that intersex states are an illness - just wanted to compare incidence to another condition that people would be familiar with. 
  • Options
    Just wanted to say that in my comparison above I was not suggesting that intersex states are an illness - just wanted to compare incidence to another condition that people would be familiar with. 
    TOO LATE!  CANCELLED!
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,158
    Ryan Adams went and got himself canceled. he could have apologized and attempted to save his career, but he didn't. 
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    TOO LATE!  CANCELLED!
    Damn. Guess I have to find another fan club website. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    just saw a wally world commercial. they incorporated the el paso shooting aftermath in it.

• Options
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Got it.  

mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Got it.  

No, it isn’t that simple. Biological sex is far more complex. Individuals born with clear intersex genitalia are not in fact rare - it’s twice as common as schizophrenia - but there are many more levels to it than that. 

I see the science is advancing. Been awhile since I've read anything about it. Thanks for sharing.

Still an interesting topic when it comes to labels and categories.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Got it.  

mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Got it.  

I see the science is advancing. Been awhile since I've read anything about it. Thanks for sharing.

To me,  the concept of labels and categories is divisive.  Now it's easy for me to say since I'm a straight white male, but I could care less how people choose to identify themselves.  It doesn't affect my life one iota,  so let people do what they want.  I get bent out of shape when the right wing tries to make it an issue though.  But only for that reason. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Got it.  

mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Got it.  

To me,  the concept of labels and categories is divisive.  Now it's easy for me to say since I'm a straight white male, but I could care less how people choose to identify themselves.  It doesn't affect my life one iota,  so let people do what they want.  I get bent out of shape when the right wing tries to make it an issue though.  But only for that reason. 
    I personally like labels and categories, as unpopular as that is. And I could see how some people would want a label and category to have a sense of belonging and community when otherwise they might feel alone. I can also see why some people wouldn't want that. To each their own.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Got it.  

mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Got it.  

I personally like labels and categories, as unpopular as that is. And I could see how some people would want a label and category to have a sense of belonging and community when otherwise they might feel alone. I can also see why some people wouldn't want that. To each their own.
    The different labels and being able to change your gender is going to result is problems in the future.

What if I wanted to change my gender because I feel that I identify as a woman now.  So I do and the business I run is applying for WBE status but I get denied.

I'd have one hell of a lawsuit, no?

• Options
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Got it.  

mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Got it.  

The different labels and being able to change your gender is going to result is problems in the future.

What if I wanted to change my gender because I feel that I identify as a woman now.  So I do and the business I run is applying for WBE status but I get denied.

It isn’t as simple as “feeling I identify as a woman now”, it’s a culmination typically of years or a lifetime of identifying as a different gender, and then living congruent with that. It would be ludicrous for someone to just say they “feel like a woman” and apply for funding without actually taking steps to live in a manner congruent with the stated identification. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Got it.  

mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Got it.  

I really think things like bathrooms,  MWBE, and other tax credits are nothing on the grand scheme of things. 
  • Options
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Got it.  

mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Got it.  

It isn’t as simple as “feeling I identify as a woman now”, it’s a culmination typically of years or a lifetime of identifying as a different gender, and then living congruent with that. It would be ludicrous for someone to just say they “feel like a woman” and apply for funding without actually taking steps to live in a manner congruent with the stated identification. 
    I understand that but someone is going to test these boundaries, you know it happens with everything else that goes on.

NY just passed some laws where it IS that easy for me to identify w a woman so it is coming.  I'm not trying to be a dick about it either, it's just bound to happen.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Got it.  

mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Got it.  

I really think things like bathrooms,  MWBE, and other tax credits are nothing on the grand scheme of things. 
    Take the M out of it because I'm going straight for the Woman owned and not the Minority owned status.  The W is better to have than the M here in NY.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Got it.  

mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Got it.  

Take the M out of it because I'm going straight for the Woman owned and not the Minority owned status.  The W is better to have than the M here in NY.
    "Soul Man" is a true story.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Got it.  

mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Got it.  

Years ago I wanted to put "other" on my applications and put "European American".  Not sure how well that would have gone over for my interview with the LAPD though so I declined...

If Soul Man is a true story then White Chicks must be too, or do you mean Soul Men?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Got it.  

mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Got it.  

Years ago I wanted to put "other" on my applications and put "European American".  Not sure how well that would have gone over for my interview with the LAPD though so I declined...

If Soul Man is a true story then White Chicks must be too, or do you mean Soul Men?

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Got it.  

mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Got it.  

HAHAHA!  I thought you were referring to a Sam and Dave movie!
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    edited January 2020
    The vitriolic response to Harry and Meghan's decision to back out of public life- an example of outrage culture?  Not the most important news on earth, but I think they deserve to have the life they want and I would say the hyperbolic reaction to that is outrage culture.  What'cha think?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    brianlux said:
    The vitriolic response to Harry and Meghan's decision to back out of public life- an example of outrage culture?  Not the most important news on earth, but I think they deserve to have the life they want and I would say the hyperbolic reaction to that is outrage culture.  What'cha think?

I think it's ridiculous and hilarious, especially when he's what, how many spots away from the throne? their roles are merely symbolic. I see that racist sack of shit katie whatsername weighed in and thinks they are spoiled brats. really? wanting to distance yourself from royalty and be financially independent? HEAVEN FOR FEND
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com