Comments

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,842
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    "Outrage culture" is a buzzword for the comfortable ignorant. 
    I mean, it seems to me that it's now being used by people to try and suggest people shouldn't get upset if a horrible accusation of abuse has been made (even by a child). Outrage culture is supposedly a sign that people should always assume a professed abuse victim might be lying until it's proven they aren't, since a very small number of accusations are false, while most are not.
    "outrage culture" also describes the people who will now be outraged by the lie told by the child, instead of treating it with some semblance of normality, e.g. a stupid kid did a stupid thing.  Let the parents and school deal with it.  Outrage culture is the ongoing process of our society careening from one controversy to another, from left to right, each side steadily one upping each other in calls for people losing their jobs, livelihoods for the mistake of being a flawed human.  
    I don't think hate crimes apply, nor sexual assaults; schools usually handle stuff like that VERY VERY poorly, plus parents and schools are not the police. Sometimes the school and parents 100% should not deal with something, and should never deal with it when a more serious crime is involved, and that includes a violent hate crime, obviously .... But generally I would agree with the careening from controversy to controversy part. I think it would be more apt to call it "media outrage culture" though.
    Schools may handle it poorly, but to your point, the social media and twitter handle it even worse.  This issue seems like it was handled appropriately.  Involve the police, let them investigate.  I'm so tired of social media idiots driving the conversation and their unreasonable demands. 
    It's annoying as fuck when I see an article on Huffington or someplace that says "Social media lights up with XXX due to YYY" and then the article goes on to post idiotic tweets from six people I've never heard of or mean nothing.  Who gives a fuck what these yahoos think.  Twitter is platform enough, I don't need to read about their posts somewhere else.   
    Yes the article I posted had many people up in arms. Turns out the girl was obviously lying. This reminded me of the French actor who was attacked in Chicago (see Dave Chappelle’s sticks and stones) by two people wearing maga hats and all the outrage that followed.  I know it is hard in this day of age but wait until all the facts come in before reacting. 
    Why do you say the girl was “obviously lying”? In the end it seems that she was lying, but when you say “obviously lying” it makes it sound like you think it was obvious from the start. It isn’t unknown for black kids to be bullied about their hair, and it was just a few months ago that a black wrestler was forced by a wrestling judge to have his dreadlocks cut off. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,938
    my definition.

outrage culture=visceral emotional reaction without any investigation into xyz. no thought, just emotionally manipulated.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Because of the “outrage” that followed the initial story before we found out she lied.  It reminded me of the chapelle bit on the “French” actor in Chicago.  
    Right...... so you think that people shouldn't feel outrage about hate crimes?
    Sometimes outrage is totally justified. False accusations is a completely different topic. What if those crimes really had happened? Surely you wouldn't think it was unreasonable if the public was outraged about it?? Or when the public is outraged about all the very real hate crimes happening every day? Outrage culture has nothing to do with justified outrage.
    But here was no crime, so like I said the outrage that followed about the school and rich white entitled kids is where I have a problem. 
    Outraged by the outrage.
    More like Just tired of the bs on each side. 
    That's fair.

Twitter and the like are cesspools. I find it best to ignore any articles that reference "Twitter outraged!" 
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    I agree with you PJ_Soul, the false accusations being injected into the outrage culture don't really fit.

I'll third that. It's conflating two different issues. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,933
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Because of the “outrage” that followed the initial story before we found out she lied.  It reminded me of the chapelle bit on the “French” actor in Chicago.  
    Right...... so you think that people shouldn't feel outrage about hate crimes?
    Sometimes outrage is totally justified. False accusations is a completely different topic. What if those crimes really had happened? Surely you wouldn't think it was unreasonable if the public was outraged about it?? Or when the public is outraged about all the very real hate crimes happening every day? Outrage culture has nothing to do with justified outrage.
    But here was no crime, so like I said the outrage that followed about the school and rich white entitled kids is where I have a problem. 
    Outraged by the outrage.
    More like Just tired of the bs on each side. 
    That's fair.

Twitter and the like are cesspools. I find it best to ignore any articles that reference "Twitter outraged!" 
    Agreed, Facebook is even worse.  The amount of outrage I see on both sides is sickening.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I mean, it seems to me that it's now being used by people to try and suggest people shouldn't get upset if a horrible accusation of abuse has been made (even by a child). Outrage culture is supposedly a sign that people should always assume a professed abuse victim might be lying until it's proven they aren't, since a very small number of accusations are false, while most are not.
    "outrage culture" also describes the people who will now be outraged by the lie told by the child, instead of treating it with some semblance of normality, e.g. a stupid kid did a stupid thing.  Let the parents and school deal with it.  Outrage culture is the ongoing process of our society careening from one controversy to another, from left to right, each side steadily one upping each other in calls for people losing their jobs, livelihoods for the mistake of being a flawed human.  
    I don't think hate crimes apply, nor sexual assaults; schools usually handle stuff like that VERY VERY poorly, plus parents and schools are not the police. Sometimes the school and parents 100% should not deal with something, and should never deal with it when a more serious crime is involved, and that includes a violent hate crime, obviously .... But generally I would agree with the careening from controversy to controversy part. I think it would be more apt to call it "media outrage culture" though.
    Schools may handle it poorly, but to your point, the social media and twitter handle it even worse.  This issue seems like it was handled appropriately.  Involve the police, let them investigate.  I'm so tired of social media idiots driving the conversation and their unreasonable demands. 
    It's annoying as fuck when I see an article on Huffington or someplace that says "Social media lights up with XXX due to YYY" and then the article goes on to post idiotic tweets from six people I've never heard of or mean nothing.  Who gives a fuck what these yahoos think.  Twitter is platform enough, I don't need to read about their posts somewhere else.   
    Yes the article I posted had many people up in arms. Turns out the girl was obviously lying. This reminded me of the French actor who was attacked in Chicago (see Dave Chappelle’s sticks and stones) by two people wearing maga hats and all the outrage that followed.  I know it is hard in this day of age but wait until all the facts come in before reacting. 
    Why do you say the girl was “obviously lying”? In the end it seems that she was lying, but when you say “obviously lying” it makes it sound like you think it was obvious from the start. It isn’t unknown for black kids to be bullied about their hair, and it was just a few months ago that a black wrestler was forced by a wrestling judge to have his dreadlocks cut off. 
    The dreadlock story was in New Jersey and their was definitely two sides to that story. Totally not the same thing. 
    When I read the original story I linked I honestly didn’t believe it, something did not sit right with me hence the word “obviously” being used. Kids have a happen to make stuff up on occasion.  

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    The dreadlock story was in New Jersey and their was definitely two sides to that story. Totally not the same thing. 
    When I read the original story I linked I honestly didn’t believe it, something did not sit right with me hence the word “obviously” being used. Kids have a happen to make stuff up on occasion.  

What specifically did you not believe, and why? Kids sometimes make things up and kids sometimes get bullied and abused. Why would you not believe this kid when you didn’t have evidence either way? 
  • Options
    And of course the dreadlock story is not the same thing - i didn’t say it was the same thing. It’s an example of other times when black kids have been mistreated due to their hair. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

What specifically did you not believe, and why? Kids sometimes make things up and kids sometimes get bullied and abused. Why would you not believe this kid when you didn’t have evidence either way? 
    during recess? with observers present?(assuming there were,  unless thats changed in the last 40 yrs.)
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I didn’t believe the story because something didn’t sit right with me.  Just a gut instinct I guess.  

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,870
    never thought i'd say this, but kudos to kelly ripa:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/23/entertainment/kelly-ripa-son-trnd/index.html
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    ...Jussie Smollett is from the US... 
    Missed the joke!

That was a funny bit too.
  • Options
      Obama on Call-Out Culture: ‘That’s Not Activism’ https://nyti.ms/3385Wwg

By Emily S. Rueb and Derrick Bryson Taylor

• Oct. 31, 2019Updated 5:05 p.m. ET

Former President Barack Obama made a rare foray into the cultural conversation this week, objecting to the prevalence of “call-out culture” and “wokeness” during an interview about youth activism at the Obama Foundation summit on Tuesday.

For more than an hour, Mr. Obama sat onstage with the actress Yara Shahidi and several other young leaders from around the world. The conversation touched on “leadership, grass roots change and the power places have to shape our journeys,” the Obama Foundation said, but it was his remarks about young activists that have ricocheted around the internet, mostly receiving praise from a cohort of bipartisan and intergenerational supporters.

“This idea of purity and you’re never compromised and you’re always politically ‘woke’ and all that stuff,” Mr. Obama said. “You should get over that quickly.”

“The world is messy; there are ambiguities,” he continued. “People who do really good stuff have flaws. People who you are fighting may love their kids, and share certain things with you.”

article continues....

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    ambiguities has to be Obama's favorite word.  just looking for any excuse to drop an a-bomb.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,773
    Jason P said:
    ambiguities has to be Obama's favorite word.  just looking for any excuse to drop an a-bomb.
    He needs to be more careful.  People might start referring to him as "A-bomb-a"!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    edited November 2019
    Jason P said:
    It's the perfect word.  some say the best word ever.
    Post edited by Smellyman on
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,699
    Smellyman said:
    Jason P said:
    It's the perfect word.  some say the best word ever.
    Many people are saying this. 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
      Obama on Call-Out Culture: ‘That’s Not Activism’ https://nyti.ms/3385Wwg

By Emily S. Rueb and Derrick Bryson Taylor

• Oct. 31, 2019Updated 5:05 p.m. ET

Former President Barack Obama made a rare foray into the cultural conversation this week, objecting to the prevalence of “call-out culture” and “wokeness” during an interview about youth activism at the Obama Foundation summit on Tuesday.

For more than an hour, Mr. Obama sat onstage with the actress Yara Shahidi and several other young leaders from around the world. The conversation touched on “leadership, grass roots change and the power places have to shape our journeys,” the Obama Foundation said, but it was his remarks about young activists that have ricocheted around the internet, mostly receiving praise from a cohort of bipartisan and intergenerational supporters.

“This idea of purity and you’re never compromised and you’re always politically ‘woke’ and all that stuff,” Mr. Obama said. “You should get over that quickly.”

“The world is messy; there are ambiguities,” he continued. “People who do really good stuff have flaws. People who you are fighting may love their kids, and share certain things with you.”

article continues....
    Great article (one I agree with 100%), thanks for sharing mickey.  
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,163
    Well said, Obama. Please come back more often.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,699
    Well said, Obama. Please come back more often.
    I agree.  I miss him so much.  
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,341
    edited November 2019
    Far right wing wackos (including the president's son) are outraged. Thankfully mainstream media outlets are showing restraint:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/08/tech/whistleblower-photo-fake/index.html

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

• Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,011
    mickeyrat said:

Excellent. Thanks for posting.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Good piece.  Best paragraph in there was this:

Being uncomfortable is KEY in this world of ours. Not altogether different from the world of special operations, where the work needs to be done, regardless of weather or personal feelings. The climate in this educational institution is one where most students understand that there HAS to be a place where people can assault ideas openly and discuss them vigorously and respectfully in order to improve the state of humanity. I’ll call that a “safe space” and I’m glad those places exist.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    good definition of safe space in this article...

• Options

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    From the article:  "we do not condone the creation of intellectual ‘safe spaces’ where individuals can retreat from ideas and perspectives at odds with their own.” 

Good for that school.  But, wow! -- "intellectual ‘safe spaces’ where individuals can retreat from ideas and perspectives at odds with their own"?  A very strange concept.  Not  being wiling to be exposed to ideas and perspectives that are at odd with one's own seems anything but safe.  Do people who hide in these places not realize it is better to know what is going on outside their "safe place"? 

And to make matters worse, these "safe places " are so ill defined that there really is little to condone in the first place.  How can a university condone or ban an idea that is not well defined?  Is that like, "You can't do that except when you can"?  What a mess!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    From the article:  "we do not condone the creation of intellectual ‘safe spaces’ where individuals can retreat from ideas and perspectives at odds with their own.” 

Good for that school.  But, wow! -- "intellectual ‘safe spaces’ where individuals can retreat from ideas and perspectives at odds with their own"?  A very strange concept.  Not  being wiling to be exposed to ideas and perspectives that are at odd with one's own seems anything but safe.  Do people who hide in these places not realize it is better to know what is going on outside their "safe place"? 

And to make matters worse, these "safe places " are so ill defined that there really is little to condone in the first place.  How can a university condone or ban an idea that is not well defined?  Is that like, "You can't do that except when you can"?  What a mess!

it seems as if the emotional safe spaces are the overriding factor.

BUT given the viral nature of some of these events, coupled with lazy reporting was more made of this stuff than was warranted?

I swear media writ large is like a soccer game with 5 yr olds.  The soccer ball is event xyz, the 5 yr olds are all of media chasing the "ball".

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

it seems as if the emotional safe spaces are the overriding factor.

BUT given the viral nature of some of these events, coupled with lazy reporting was more made of this stuff than was warranted?

I swear media writ large is like a soccer game with 5 yr olds.  The soccer ball is event xyz, the 5 yr olds are all of media chasing the "ball".

LOL, good analogy. 

Media for me anymore is like having a classroom full of those same 5 years olds each present you with their own perspective on what happened at a playground incident and you trying to piece together what actually happened.  Damn near impossible!