Options

Outrage Culture

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,039
    I work on a boat every summer and we go through training with the coast guard once a year.  I m wondering if they will change their wording to “person overboard” as opposed to “man overboard”.  
    I also have to tell kids to “man the cannons”; should I be pc and tell them to “person the cannons”?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    I work on a boat every summer and we go through training with the coast guard once a year.  I m wondering if they will change their wording to “person overboard” as opposed to “man overboard”.  
    I also have to tell kids to “man the cannons”; should I be pc and tell them to “person the cannons”?
    Indeed.
    And when the school year begins again, a theirstory teacher ye shall be.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Indeed.
    Nice one!!
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,801
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Indeed.
    Nice one!!
    The Asterisk keeps dropping dimes!  
  • Options
    As a Yankees fan I can say without hesitation that one of my most hated players was Personny Ramirez.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    As a Yankees fan I can say without hesitation that one of my most hated players was Personny Ramirez.  
    It almost seems like we think this whole thing is silly!  
    Another good one, FYI.  I loved Personny during his Tribe years.. and then he changed clothes, so I hated him.  
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    It almost seems like we think this whole thing is silly!  
    Another good one, FYI.  I loved Personny during his Tribe years.. and then he changed clothes, so I hated him.  
    100% silly. when I think of towns in Pennsylvania that I have visited like Blueball and Intercourse I realize not everyone is so sensitive. My next trip I might head to Spread Eagle, Wisconsin. 
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    edited July 2019
    NVM Ha!
    Post edited by Hi! on

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,345
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    hedonist said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Mind Your Personners   :tongue:
    Winner!  Someone top that!
    Dead They Walking?
    Betterperson?
    Hey Foxymophandleperson?

;)
    personkind
    This one is bueno
    What the heck?!  Mickeyrat needs to person up and admit I said it first.  
    Oh nicely done.  
    you get credit for comentary...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    This could turn Jeff Ament's world upside down.
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    its why he stopped writing lyrics for PJ. he saw where we were headed. Ahead of the curve that one....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    :rofl: True!

Sorry, Jeffrey ... er, Mr. Apeoplet.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,938
    Ever hear that cool song, "Do Wah Diddy Diddy"?  It was recorded by Personfred Personn.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Some transgendered fool is taking a British Columbia aesthetics business to the human commission because they refused to wax his balls, they should have lanced his balls...give the fool something to cry about...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Some transgendered fool is taking a British Columbia aesthetics business to the human commission because they refused to wax his balls, they should have lanced his balls...give the fool something to cry about...
    no getting around it. testicles ARE testicles.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    excuse us, maam. we have a strict no ovaries waxing policy. Your ovaries are in a sack , we cannot wax them......

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    excuse us, maam. we have a strict no ovaries waxing policy. Your ovaries are in a sack , we cannot wax them......
    Lol.  He/she is getting attention.  I would not want that kind of attention.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    A couple examples came up today, one in conversation and one in reading reading, of how outrage culture can actually backfire on someone trying to support a cause.  

The first relates to abuse of women.  There is good reason for people to be angry over the issue of abuse of women.  But when accusations single out, exaggerate or lie about minor incidences that don't really amount to abuse, people will begin to question the motives of those speaking out against the abuse.  Abuse of women is serious and should not be watered down but false accusation.  That does women a great disservice.  (See Al Franken thread).

The more specific example that came up today was in talking with a friend about what is often referred to as "the hate truck" that used to drive through our town of Placerville.  It was a delivery sized truck with glaring signs on it's sides blasting outrage against homosexuality.   The truck was driven by a man who was blatantly homophobic and his son.  The public reaction in this town (and this is a conservative town) was very much in opposition to this kind of public display of hatred.  One of the local churches went so far as to host speakers who spoke out against the hatred.  In fact, at one point, even the son came to speak (there are some who believe the young man is gay and that is what drove the hatred of the father even further, but this is unproven).  The result of all this is that there has been an estimated 80% reduction in the number of outwardly homophobic people in this area.  Outrage culture thankfully did the opposite of what this man's crusade against homosexuality intended to do.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    brianlux said:
    A couple examples came up today, one in conversation and one in reading reading, of how outrage culture can actually backfire on someone trying to support a cause.  

The first relates to abuse of women.  There is good reason for people to be angry over the issue of abuse of women.  But when accusations single out, exaggerate or lie about minor incidences that don't really amount to abuse, people will begin to question the motives of those speaking out against the abuse.  Abuse of women is serious and should not be watered down but false accusation.  That does women a great disservice.  (See Al Franken thread).

The more specific example that came up today was in talking with a friend about what is often referred to as "the hate truck" that used to drive through our town of Placerville.  It was a delivery sized truck with glaring signs on it's sides blasting outrage against homosexuality.   The truck was driven by a man who was blatantly homophobic and his son.  The public reaction in this town (and this is a conservative town) was very much in opposition to this kind of public display of hatred.  One of the local churches went so far as to host speakers who spoke out against the hatred.  In fact, at one point, even the son came to speak (there are some who believe the young man is gay and that is what drove the hatred of the father even further, but this is unproven).  The result of all this is that there has been an estimated 80% reduction in the number of outwardly homophobic people in this area.  Outrage culture thankfully did the opposite of what this man's crusade against homosexuality intended to do.
    I won't claim to speak for all women, but as a women, trust me - we are well-aware of this.
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

I won't claim to speak for all women, but as a women, trust me - we are well-aware of this.
    I believe it, Hedo.  I know other women who are as well.  Being close to women who have suffered terrible abuse, I find it terribly sad that the issue is being sabotaged. 

• Options
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

I believe it, Hedo.  I know other women who are as well.  Being close to women who have suffered terrible abuse, I find it terribly sad that the issue is being sabotaged. 
    I also know women.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

I also know women.  
    Over half the world's population, so I should hope so, lol!

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

I also know women.  
    He meant in the biblical sense. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    I also know women.  

:lol:

• Options
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

I also know women.  
    For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge...

I do love that phrase, 'in the biblical sense'.  I don't know why I always think it's funny.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

I also know women.  

I do love that phrase, 'in the biblical sense'.  I don't know why I always think it's funny.  
    It's rather funny, actually.  All that "though shalt not commit adultery"...  yet all that Biblical seemingly illicit "knowing"  going on in the stories.  :lol:

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

I also know women.  

Unlawful?

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

I also know women.  

Unlawful?
    That's the origin of FUCK, allegedly.  It was a criminal term in the church for adultery (or premarital sex for that matter).  There's also a version of For Under the Consent of the King.  I don't know which one is more accurate, but either way... it's the dirty.   
  • Options
      fuck /fʌk  / vulgar slang
    ▸ verb [with object]
    1 have sexual intercourse with (someone).
    ▪ [no object] (of two people) have sexual intercourse.
    2 damage or ruin (something).
    ▸ noun an act of sexual intercourse.
    ▪ [with adjective] a sexual partner of a specified ability.
    ▸ exclamation used alone or as a noun or verb in various phrases to express annoyance, contempt, or impatience.
    – PHRASES
    as — as fuck (also — as fuck) vulgar slang
    possessing the specified quality to very high degree (used for emphasis).
    fuck all /ˈfʌk ˌɔːl  / British vulgar slang
    absolutely nothing.
    give a fuck [usually with negative] vulgar slang
    be concerned about or interested in something.
    go fuck yourself vulgar slang
    an exclamation expressing anger or contempt for, or rejection of, someone.
    – PHRASAL VERBS
    fuck about (or around) vulgar slang spend time doing unimportant or trivial things.
    fuck someone around (or about) vulgar slang waste someone's time.
    fuck off vulgar slang [usually in imperative] (of a person) go away.
    fuck someone off vulgar slang make someone angry.
    fuck someone over US vulgar slang treat someone in an unfair or humiliating way.
    fuck someone up vulgar slang damage or confuse someone emotionally.
    fuck (something) up vulgar slang do something badly or ineptly.
    – ORIGIN early 16th century : of Germanic origin (compare Swedish dialect focka and Dutch dialect fokkelen); possibly from an Indo-European root meaning ‘strike’, shared by Latin pugnus ‘fist’.
    Despite the wideness and proliferation of its use in many sections of society, the word fuck remains (and has been for centuries) one of the most taboo words in English. Until relatively recently it rarely appeared in print; even today, there are a number of euphemistic ways of referring to it in speech and writing, e.g. the F-word, f***, or f—k.

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,368
    So I can't be a man whore anymore and have to be a person whore?

Now I need to change my business cards...