Donald Trump

Comments

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    ikiT said:
    OnWis97 said:
    ikiT said:
    OnWis97 said:
    ikiT said:
    Don Trump's dressing room assault (I'd call it rape) needs to be the focus now.   
    The Dems should be in the lobby of the Manhattan prosecutor in fucking charge of those types of crimes.
    It can’t really be the focus of anything.  First, I suspect the statute of limitations has long been in effect.

Second, the Dems need to learn from Kavanaugh.  Particularly in older cases, the American people side overwhelmingly with the accused.
    BULLSHIT
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Tell that to Bill Cosby...
    At what point was the whole fiasco not a huge win for Kavanaugh?  Didn't a couple of people lose senate seats for not voting for Kavanaugh's confirmation?  Regular, middle-of-the road people think that the accuser is just as likely to be lying as telling the truth.

Trump?  This story did not even make the front page of papers like the NYT. Rape culture is still a thing...a big thing.  It's the one crime where the accuser is the villain.  There is no way any political or legal ground can be gained on this story.  It's high-risk, no-reward.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2018/10/02/brett-kavanaugh-hillary-clinton-laughs-political-hit-claim/1501236002/

He's a royal fucking douche bag.  A prep school puke who had the world shovel fed to him.   So did Kobe.    Ucccchhhh.

Your claim to the majority opinion is challenged as far as all the raping is concerned.  Nothing personal, but come on, bro.
    No disagreement.
    Fine...maybe the majority of people are not more apt to believe the accused...but it's not deniable that rape is reacted to far differently, than murder, armed robbery, etc.  We always believe victims of other crimes (and we don't really ask them what they did to deserve it, either).  Someone mentioned Bill Cosby.  How many accusers did it take for him to get in hot water?

You said "The Dems should be in the lobby of the Manhattan prosecutor in fucking charge of those types of crimes." So, to what end?  If I am wrong about the statute of limitations in New York, let me know (I certainly don't know every criminal law in every state).  But if not, to what end should the Dems be in the lobby? I took that (and upon a re-read, I was probably wrong) to mean in part that the Dems need to push the "Trump is a predator" narrative in general. And I simply don't think that will get them anywhere.  "Grab them by the pussy" didn't hurt him.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    OnWis97 said:
    ikiT said:
    OnWis97 said:
    ikiT said:
    OnWis97 said:
    ikiT said:
    Don Trump's dressing room assault (I'd call it rape) needs to be the focus now.   
    The Dems should be in the lobby of the Manhattan prosecutor in fucking charge of those types of crimes.
    It can’t really be the focus of anything.  First, I suspect the statute of limitations has long been in effect.

Second, the Dems need to learn from Kavanaugh.  Particularly in older cases, the American people side overwhelmingly with the accused.
    BULLSHIT
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Tell that to Bill Cosby...
    At what point was the whole fiasco not a huge win for Kavanaugh?  Didn't a couple of people lose senate seats for not voting for Kavanaugh's confirmation?  Regular, middle-of-the road people think that the accuser is just as likely to be lying as telling the truth.

Trump?  This story did not even make the front page of papers like the NYT. Rape culture is still a thing...a big thing.  It's the one crime where the accuser is the villain.  There is no way any political or legal ground can be gained on this story.  It's high-risk, no-reward.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2018/10/02/brett-kavanaugh-hillary-clinton-laughs-political-hit-claim/1501236002/

He's a royal fucking douche bag.  A prep school puke who had the world shovel fed to him.   So did Kobe.    Ucccchhhh.

Your claim to the majority opinion is challenged as far as all the raping is concerned.  Nothing personal, but come on, bro.
    No disagreement.
    Fine...maybe the majority of people are not more apt to believe the accused...but it's not deniable that rape is reacted to far differently, than murder, armed robbery, etc.  We always believe victims of other crimes (and we don't really ask them what they did to deserve it, either).  Someone mentioned Bill Cosby.  How many accusers did it take for him to get in hot water?

You said "The Dems should be in the lobby of the Manhattan prosecutor in fucking charge of those types of crimes." So, to what end?  If I am wrong about the statute of limitations in New York, let me know (I certainly don't know every criminal law in every state).  But if not, to what end should the Dems be in the lobby? I took that (and upon a re-read, I was probably wrong) to mean in part that the Dems need to push the "Trump is a predator" narrative in general. And I simply don't think that will get them anywhere.  "Grab them by the pussy" didn't hurt him.
    The dems aren't going to be in the lobby. You're making too much of this. 

If anything more stories coming out like these will hurt him trying to woo more suburban white women, which is essential to him getting reelected. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited June 2019
    Any other president who inherited this economy would have approvals pushing 60%. Instead Trump's hovered near all time lows since the day he was sworn in. The recession storm is coming, though.....

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/24/trump-economy-2020-employment-growth-1376710
    2020 ELECTIONS

How Trump could have terrible economic timing
    A slowdown heading into reelection could damage one of the president’s best issues.

In just one week, the current economic expansion will turn 10 years old and officially become the longest in American history, an occasion likely to elicit bragging from the White House.

But it will also highlight a major risk for President Donald Trump.

Signs of a slowdown are mounting with weaker job growth, reduced manufacturing activity and a nervous Federal Reserve hinting at slashing interest rates — suggesting that Trump could suffer from terrible economic timing.

All recent presidents other than Bill Clinton experienced slowdowns in their first terms, but most sought reelection as the economy was improving. No president since Calvin Coolidge in 1924 has held on to the White House during an election year marred by recession.

Trump may avoid running for reelection in an official recession, especially if he gets his much desired rate cuts from the Fed. But there is a good chance he’ll be seeking a second term with the economy slowing and unemployment rising, especially if he continues to engage in bruising trade battles.

Voters tend to lock in their assessment of a president’s performance on the economy a few months before Election Day, meaning Trump’s strongest argument for four more years may not wind up being all that strong.

“The economy has been a tailwind for him, but by Election Day next year it will at best no longer be blowing,” said Mark Zandi, the chief economist at Moody’s Analytics who maintains a model gauging how economic trends influence voting outcomes. “And there is a reasonable probability that he will be facing an economic headwind for reelection with growth slowing to the point that unemployment is starting to rise next year, though a lot depends on what he does with the trade wars and what the Fed does in response.”

Economic numbers in the second quarter of an election year — in this case April through June of next year — tend to exert the biggest impact on election outcomes, Zandi notes. That’s when voters focus on the race and their own economic situation and before they get distracted by summer vacations.

That means Trump’s strongest economic performance — a growth rate close to 3 percent in 2018, boosted by a big tax cut — might have come too soon for electoral purposes.

Trump in fact might be better off with a shallow recession right now — generally defined as a pair of quarters with shrinking gross domestic product — with growth picking up again next year heading into the election.

“If there is going to be a recession, it’s probably good to get it over early,” said Karlyn Bowman, polling analyst at the American Enterprise Institute. “His marks on handling the economy and jobs are just about the only positive marks he has.”

A near-term recession still does not seem likely. Economic forecasters see a slide back into growth between 1 and 2 percent as the impact from the tax cut fades, economies outside the U.S. struggle and trade tensions linger.

The Fed is predicting 2.1 percent growth this year and 2.0 percent next year, with the unemployment rate rising slightly next year to 3.7 percent from 3.6 percent.

The rate of job growth has already slowed to an average of 151,000 over the past three months, down from an average of 238,000 earlier in the year. That’s enough to keep the unemployment rate from rising but not by much.

A Florida job fair.
    Job applicants line up June 4 during a job fair in Hollywood, Fla. Unemployment remains low at 3.6 percent but job growth has been sluggish in recent months. | Wilfredo Lee/AP Photo

Readings on manufacturing activity in the Philadelphia and New York regions this month registered sharp declines just as Trump was threatening tariffs on Mexico. And in its announcement on interest rates last week, the Fed said “indicators of business fixed investment have been soft.”

The administration’s main argument that growth will pick up again is based on the belief that the tax cuts, which lowered corporate rates and incentivized investment, would produce a sustained boom in business spending. That could still materialize — but it hasn’t yet.

The White House is strongly sticking to that argument, dismissing predictions of a sharp slowdown and continuing to promise that job gains will pick up again and growth will stay at a 3 percent pace, providing a solid backdrop for the reelection campaign.

“We should expect a bounce back. The labor market fundamentals are very strong and haven’t changed very much,” Kevin Hassett, the outgoing chairman of the White House Council of Economic Advisers, said in a recent interview. “The last two years we grew at a healthy clip because we became an attractive tax climate and we deregulated aggressively. It feels like those fundamentals are still in place.”

Right now, the economy remains Trump’s strongest issue, though his high ratings on the subject have not lifted his overall approval rating. And his numbers on the economy are already showing some signs of slipping.

A Fox News poll last week found that 57 percent of voters feel optimistic about the economy, down from 66 percent when Trump took office and 63 percent in February. The survey found that 48 percent of voters believe Trump’s policies “help people with more money,” 31 percent said they help everyone and just 5 percent said they help “people like me.”

Watch President Trump call trade war with China a 'little squabble'
    SharePlay Video
    A Quinnipiac survey last month found that 39 percent approve of Trump’s trade policies while 53 percent disapprove.

In critical swings states that carried Trump to the White House in 2016 — Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio and Iowa — voters disapprove of the president’s handling of trade by 56 percent to 41 percent.

Consistent high ratings on the economy as an issue have also never pushed Trump’s job approval rating over 50 percent, suggesting the president is not getting a large amount of credit for economy. Trump suggested in an interview with Time last week that he may not even try to convince swing voters that they should back him. “I think my base is so strong, I'm not sure that I have to do that,” he said.

If he decides he needs to woo swing voters, Trump will likely have a more difficult time doing so if forecasts of a slowing economy in 2020 come true. “He had a strong blip last year with the deficit-financed tax cut, but that stimulus is gone and we are left with trend-line underlying growth,” Zandi said. “The link between the tax cut and long-term growth was investment, and investment has flat-lined since last year. The president will be lucky if we stay at 2 percent because right now we are below it.”
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I remember, during W's 18-month post-9/11 honeymoon, he started to become very polarizing and the left was often accused of (on sites like this one) "hoping things go badly for America" just to spite Bush.  I thought it was preposterous.

Now, I absolutely want the economic numbers to go downhill.  Why?  Because it's cyclical; it doesn't have tons to do with the President. And, most importantly, getting a potential dictator out of office is more important than what these numbers look like for the next year and change.  
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    OnWis97 said:
    I remember, during W's 18-month post-9/11 honeymoon, he started to become very polarizing and the left was often accused of (on sites like this one) "hoping things go badly for America" just to spite Bush.  I thought it was preposterous.

Now, I absolutely want the economic numbers to go downhill.  Why?  Because it's cyclical; it doesn't have tons to do with the President. And, most importantly, getting a potential dictator out of office is more important than what these numbers look like for the next year and change.  
    This we can agree on. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    OnWis97 said:

Yo he there already.  You got the white supremes marching the streets flashing the Okeydoke, looking for open confrontation outside his Orlando hate rally.  

https://www.thedailybeast.com/proud-boys-orlando-police-stop-far-right-group-from-reaching-anti-trump-protest
    https://twitter.com/PhilipinDC/status/1141067843905249283/video/1

There is no straw to break the camels back.   This camel has an iron constitution.  

Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
    He's literally HItler.
    or Satan.
    edited June 2019
    ikiT said:
    OnWis97 said:

Yo he there already.  You got the white supremes marching the streets flashing the Okeydoke, looking for open confrontation outside his Orlando hate rally.  

https://www.thedailybeast.com/proud-boys-orlando-police-stop-far-right-group-from-reaching-anti-trump-protest

There is no straw to break the camels back.   This camel has an iron constitution.  

I think it's saveable...but I don't think it will be if he wins in 2020.

Coming in, I knew he'd struggle with the speed of government, checks-and-balances, relying on advisors, etc.  In fact, I am guessing he was envisioning being closer to a dictator than he his.  In short, I was not the least bit surprised as it became obvious that he wanted to be a dictator.  But the degree to which his base would want it and the degree to which the GOP would want it still has me stunned (particularly the latter).  I am a cynical guy but I never thought we'd go full authoritarianism to own the libs...but here we are on the verge.

That said, there's some messed up shit going on now, but I do feel like a return to normalcy is possible if Trump loses.  If he wins, then I think we're talking about the federal government shutting down CNN, reporters being imprisoned for saying anything negative about Trump, people named Trump in the White House for decades, and all sorts of dictatorship stuff.  People in my life laugh at me when I say it.  Of course, they also laughed at me when I said Trump was going to win.
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    OnWis97 said:
    ikiT said:
    OnWis97 said:

I think it's saveable...but I don't think it will be if he wins in 2020.

Coming in, I knew he'd struggle with the speed of government, checks-and-balances, relying on advisors, etc.  In fact, I am guessing he was envisioning being closer to a dictator than he his.  In short, I was not the least bit surprised as it became obvious that he wanted to be a dictator.  But the degree to which his base would want it and the degree to which the GOP would want it still has me stunned (particularly the latter).  I am a cynical guy but I never thought we'd go full authoritarianism to own the libs...but here we are on the verge.

That said, there's some messed up shit going on now, but I do feel like a return to normalcy is possible if Trump loses.  If he wins, then I think we're talking about the federal government shutting down CNN, reporters being imprisoned for saying anything negative about Trump, people named Trump in the White House for decades, and all sorts of dictatorship stuff.  People in my life laugh at me when I say it.  Of course, they also laughed at me when I said Trump was going to win.
    Im laughing right now! It’s absurd how negative sky is falling all of you guys are.  It’s been Russia Russia Russia for 4 investigations and when that flopped you’re pivoting back to hitler and how it’s all over.  There’s folks on here hoping for the economy to crumble, others on the climate thread acting like people under 30 years old are going to see the apocalypse.  Pull yourselves together, all we can do is take care of each other and not spread hate.  The world isn’t going to end, trump isn’t gassing people and wiping out complete cultures.  It goes back
    and forth and the pendulum will swing back your way.  Relax and enjoy yourself.  After all, you may only have a few years left, amirite?
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    What's absurd is the extent of your inability to even understand wtf is actually going on or what exactly people are concerned about. It's like you're detached from reality in a way.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    What's absurd is the extent of your inability to even understand wtf is actually going on or what exactly people are concerned about. It's like you're detached from reality in a way.
    Not really.  I just don’t like to cry all day, that gets old.  Ever heard your baby crying nonstop? You just get numb to it, almost like it’s not happening.  That’s how I am on this amt board, everyone’s crying all day, it’s like a messed up daycare.  
    edited June 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    Not really.  I just don’t like to cry all day, that gets old.  Ever heard your baby crying nonstop? You just get numb to it, almost like it’s not happening.  That’s how I am on this amt board, everyone’s crying all day, it’s like a messed up daycare.  
    Then wtf are you doing here?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited June 2019

Everything's fine!
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Laughing at you, obviously!
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well then quit fucking whining about it.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Maybe you have t read the last 400 pages.  It’s not me, lol
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    He's a terrible human being.  He may even have some policies that I could get behind,  but he frames everything in such a divisive way,  he burns every bridge.  Politics are about expanding your base of support.  He has been piss poor at that. 
    edited June 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    He's a terrible human being.  He may even have some policies that I could get behind,  but he frames everything in such a divisive way,  he burns every bridge.  Politics are about expanding your base of support.  He has been piss poor at that. 
    Piss poor? He blatantly admitted to Chuck Todd that he has no intentions of even trying to appease to people who didn't vote for him. Fuck him. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Piss poor? He blatantly admitted to Chuck Todd that he has no intentions of even trying to appease to people who didn't vote for him. Fuck him. 
    Right,  which is the antithesis of politics. 
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    PJ_Soul said:
    So, when you're near a crying baby, would you let it suffer in peace or would you mock it for being a snowflake libtard? Sounds like actually trying to help wouldn't make your to-do list.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    benjs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    So, when you're near a crying baby, would you let it suffer in peace or would you mock it for being a snowflake libtard? Sounds like actually trying to help wouldn't make your to-do list.
    Hey Benjs you make an interesting point.  The other side that I think people forget about a lot is it's actually a terrific and valuable technique to let your baby self-sooth.  Shouldn't react and try to fix everything for someone else. ;) It's actually pretty hard to do though, listen to it and not do anything.

But anyhow - I like Chuck Todd better than Trump.  I mean Chuck's hair is just as awful, but he isn't as fat and his clothes are tailored better.  Go chuck!
    hippiemom = goodness
    If he makes it that far...Trumpito gonna get stomped against whoever the D candidate is.  Stomped.  It's not even gonna be remotely close.  With the megaphone handed to the collective group down in Miami, I predict a pretty shaky week for Don.  If only they simply turn their sights on him and not each other

Can the band Styx go out and tour and fill up 5500 and 6000 seat theaters and state fairs?  Sure.  Can they throw in an occasional 15k small basketball facility?  Probably.  Could they do it 60 times over the past two years?  Seems like a stretch...I got news though.  Don't everybody like Styx. I don't see a mad amount of Styx merch out there.  I DO see a majority of people out in society NOT rocking Styx hats and shirts.   

And for those of you keeping score...we're on Number 7

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,851
    Hours after he aborted a mission that had already begun, he’s tweeting about something he saw on Fox

What were the alleged "false stories"?
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    ikiT said:

Interesting.  Haven't we been on 7 for years?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    benjs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Hey Benjs you make an interesting point.  The other side that I think people forget about a lot is it's actually a terrific and valuable technique to let your baby self-sooth.  Shouldn't react and try to fix everything for someone else. ;) It's actually pretty hard to do though, listen to it and not do anything.

But anyhow - I like Chuck Todd better than Trump.  I mean Chuck's hair is just as awful, but he isn't as fat and his clothes are tailored better.  Go chuck!
    Touché! Self-sooth for a while, sure, but if the baby is screaming for 24 hours, something ain’t right. Least that’s what I hear, won’t be having my own.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,851
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I don't buy that bullshit line anymore.  Iran is building a nuclear bomb with or without an agreement.  And it's not up to America to decide who gets the bomb or not.  And that region has been unstable as long as I can remember...caused mostly by the west...

Just end ALL US sanction that hurt individuals anywhere in the world where...sanctions that target the countries citizenry is STUPID...and harmful and just creates hatred towards the US...
    I agree that sanctions move the population closer to the gov't and away from the west, but according to the enforcement agencies, Iran was in compliance, therefore sanctions were off.  Seems like it was working.  I disagree with you that we have no interest in trying to reduce proliferation.  I think our allies in SK, Japan and throughout SE Asia would be mortified if we took that position.  They would be in immediate and imminent danger.  
    Those countries have enough people and in some cases enough $$$ to defend them themselves.  I am always amazed that people are always willing to sacrifice other people's sons and daughters for other countries that can not get there together...

No,  Japan and SK have agreed to not go nuclear.  They could not defend themselves against a nuclear power like SK.
    Japan has nuclear power though and they also have zero natural resources just like SK.

Iran has oil and oil equals money and power.

No one that has oil is willing to relinquish anything.  I'm thinking Sadam and Khadafi and the person in charge before the Ayatollah.
    To paraphrase Ice Cube

But I know Donald Trump is a motherfuckin' rapist...

edited June 2019

mcgruff10 said:
    ikiT said:

Interesting.  Haven't we been on 7 for years?
    3 MAYBE.
This discussion has been closed.