Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,601
    Here is a good topic she discusses.  Wage increases.

I hate when someone says "for a bartender, $174K a year is quite an increase!"  Sure it is but look where she has to live now, what her job entails, whom she has to hire.  That 55k all around for her staff won't last long if she wants to retain good people.

I like her stance on this and opposition to what she is advocating is pure uncalled for bias.

Thoughts?
    https://youtu.be/ith8nQF_eIY
    First, I have no issue if there is a COLA in place for staff.  It's not clear to me whether this particular amendment was just for lawmaker COLA or for staff too.
    Second, I agree that the bartender from Queens swipe is stupid.
    Third, I think her argument on why they should get a raise, that it reduces the pressure to be corrupt, is completely flawed.  Quid pro quo type corruption in congress is related to money flowing into campaigns, not directly into the purses.  If you raking from your campaign, you are breaking the law and a 2% COLA every year isn't stopping that.  
    BTW, her staff money doesn't come out of her 174k.  That's her salary.  There's a budget for staff.  
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    mrussel1 said:
    BTW, her staff money doesn't come out of her 174k.  That's her salary.  There's a budget for staff.  
    I know that, I was throwing it in there to support the raises.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    It drives me nuts that congress is in charge of approving their own pay raises.  That said, something like a COLA keeps it more ethical.  I don't know what the right level of pay is, but a COLA seems reasonable.  

I think her point about people taking $ if they don;t get pay raises is pretty stupid though.  There was a COLA for a long time no?  Did it stop the lobbying?  Didn't think so.  Why can we just have an honest discussion about it.  
    hippiemom = goodness
    It drives me nuts that congress is in charge of approving their own pay raises.  That said, something like a COLA keeps it more ethical.  I don't know what the right level of pay is, but a COLA seems reasonable.  

I think her point about people taking $ if they don;t get pay raises is pretty stupid though.  There was a COLA for a long time no?  Did it stop the lobbying?  Didn't think so.  Why can we just have an honest discussion about it.  
    Congress controls the purse, so there really isn't another option Constitutionally speaking.  At the end of the day, it still needs to be a bill that the President signs, I believe.  
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

More of this in politics would be nice.  Yes, birth control should be free.  Anything to keep more people off the planet we should invest in.  Maybe abortion should free??? 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    ^ I'd like to see those two star in an ABC sitcom
    Jason P said:
    A remake of The Munster's...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Jason P said:
    "The All New Odd Couple"
    Jason P said:
    Ha!  
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Jason P said:
    Zing!

Ted Cruz Is A Vampire GIF - TedCruz Smile Morph GIFs
    Jason P said:
    Yes! one that gets cancelled and you never hear of the actors/actresses again!
    hippiemom = goodness
    Jason P said:
    If I never had to hear from Cruz again, and had to sacrifice AOC to make it happen... DEAL.  
    mrussel1 said:
    Jason P said:
    If I never had to hear from Cruz again, and had to sacrifice AOC to make it happen... DEAL.  
    LOL...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    mrussel1 said:
    Jason P said:
    For me, this deal isn’t having to give up anything I care about.
    hippiemom = goodness
    The new democrat mascot ...

You can focus on helping the homeless or helping a group that is a majority white privileged.  Hmm.  Who votes?  Homeless don't vote?  Well, then ...
    If student loans are a scam,  then by normal logic,  either college is a scam and/or the whole concept of loaning money.  Be interested to know which one. 

And Jason,  completely agree with your point about how this helps only those most likely to be high earners in the future. 
    mrussel1 said:
    If student loans are a scam,  then by normal logic,  either college is a scam and/or the whole concept of loaning money.  Be interested to know which one. 

And Jason,  completely agree with your point about how this helps only those most likely to be high earners in the future. 
    The only "scam" would be if the college actually tell kids they will get a 6 figure job with their History of jazz and pop degrees.  I hate paying for other people's stupidity more than most other things.
    hippiemom = goodness
    mrussel1 said:

Well technically they both are tied together.

You can't get a private loan anymore for college because the banks screwed that up.

Colleges raise their tuition's now because they know everyone can get a loan for college.

The list goes on and on how colleges have scammed people.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    mrussel1 said:

You can't get a private loan anymore for college because the banks screwed that up.

Colleges raise their tuition's now because they know everyone can get a loan for college.

Are colleges/universities privately run?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mrussel1 said:

Yes.  Gov't doesn't run them.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited June 2019
    mrussel1 said:

Yuck.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mrussel1 said:

Yuck.
    Hana haha why yuck? I mean not everything is bad about America if people are coming to the universities from all over the world. It’s funny that you seem to think there has to be only one model, one way to do things. That is almost never the case
    hippiemom = goodness
    mrussel1 said:

That depends on your definition.  State universities are chartered by the state and the governor usually has some oversight and influence. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited June 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

That depends on your definition.  State universities are chartered by the state and the governor usually has some oversight and influence. 
    Of course I'm talking about Canada, where private universities aren't really a thing, but I work at a public university, and the government has zero impact on the day-to-day operations of the schools, nor on tuition fees or other fees that students pay. What the government does is determine how much funding the universities get to do what they will with, and it also of course regulates student loans. Plus the universities ultimately answer to the tax payers in terms of how the government funding is spent, but that is not a constantly monitored thing. The universities keep that in mind in good faith, and of course are always aware of the possibility of a government audit. Keep in mind too, that public universities still work their asses off to get private donations and come up with a multitude of other ways to earn money on top of government subsidies. In all cases, though, that money goes straight back into the university.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Of course I'm talking about Canada, where private universities aren't really a thing, but I work at a public university, and the government has zero impact on the day-to-day operations of the schools, nor on tuition fees or other fees that students pay. What the government does is determine how much funding the universities get to do what they will with, and it also of course regulates student loans. Plus the universities ultimately answer to the tax payers in terms of how the government funding is spent, but that is not a constantly monitored thing. The universities keep that in mind in good faith, and of course are always aware of the possibility of a government audit. Keep in mind too, that public universities still work their asses off to get private donations and come up with a multitude of other ways to earn money on top of government subsidies. In all cases, though, that money goes straight back into the university.
    I can't speak for every state, only states for where I've lived, and our state u's are basically run the same way.  Governors or the legislature rarely get involved unless there is some crisis or scandal.  I think they probably have some leverage to remove chancellors or presidents in certain situations.  
    The universities set the tuition rates but I'm sure the gov't also has some guidelines they may set.  I do know that for example, UVA is the most expensive school, followed closely by William and Mary.  The prices are definitely connected to the perceived quality of the education.  
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited June 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I can't speak for every state, only states for where I've lived, and our state u's are basically run the same way.  Governors or the legislature rarely get involved unless there is some crisis or scandal.  I think they probably have some leverage to remove chancellors or presidents in certain situations.  
    The universities set the tuition rates but I'm sure the gov't also has some guidelines they may set.  I do know that for example, UVA is the most expensive school, followed closely by William and Mary.  The prices are definitely connected to the perceived quality of the education.  
    One thing our provincial government can do and has done in the past is freeze tuition rates. So the schools do determine them generally (and across the country they are not wildly different, unless you're talking trade schools, but some are definitely more expensive than others... none are crazy expensive - but the province can make them not raise them anymore, for any period of time until they or the next government unfreezes them.... And such a freeze is how I paid my own way through university in the 90s! Of course the revolting, disgusting, piece of shit BC Liberal party (aka BC's conservative party) removed the freeze as soon as they came into office, and since then the tuition rates more than tripled. Finally those creeps are out of office again... maybe the new one will consider another freeze, because we really need it again.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

One thing our provincial government can do and has done in the past is freeze tuition rates. So the schools do determine them generally, but the province can make them not raise them anymore, for any period of time until they or the next government unfreezes them.... And such a freeze is how I paid my own way through university in the 90s! Of course the revolting, disgusting, piece of shit BC Liberal party (aka BC's conservative party) removed the freeze as soon as they come into office, and since then the tuition rates have more than tripled.
    That's interesting.  So the provincial gov't has authority on the universities, not Ottawa?  I admit to being confused about where the province ends and central gov't begins.  I seem to default to it being almost purely central gov't, not federal.