Options

Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez

Comments

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    She managed to positively own the news cycle from a minute endorsement speech, because her detractors were tripping over themselves to wrongly criticize her. Further showing how important she is and how she's going to continue to be a major player in American politics going forward.

You don't have to "love her" to figure this out.

This is pretty easy stuff to understand. She doesn't even have to try.

Comparing her to Trump is just complete nonsense and makes people look even more foolish, but by all means, continue on, it's only going to make her a bigger deal and more formidable.
    We know she has the media management thing down.  But that doesn't necessarily mean she'll be a successful legislator. We'll need to wait and see there. 
    Let's not forget her work during hearings. Very impressive. Also clear evidence that she has helped pull the DNC to the left, which will show itself legislatively, assuming the Democrats take back more power in the fall.

One of her main advantages so far is people keep underestimating her, to their detriment.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    She managed to positively own the news cycle from a minute endorsement speech, because her detractors were tripping over themselves to wrongly criticize her. Further showing how important she is and how she's going to continue to be a major player in American politics going forward.

Comparing her to Trump is just complete nonsense and makes people look even more foolish, but by all means, continue on, it's only going to make her a bigger deal and more formidable.
    We know she has the media management thing down.  But that doesn't necessarily mean she'll be a successful legislator. We'll need to wait and see there. 
    Let's not forget her work during hearings. Very impressive. Also clear evidence that she has helped pull the DNC to the left, which will show itself legislatively, assuming the Democrats take back more power in the fall.

One of her main advantages so far is people keep underestimating her, to their detriment.
    I don't know how she is pulling vs Sanders or whether I consider that an accomplishment or not.  I thought her work in hearings was fine,  but probably exaggerated because of her media status.  In other words was it better or worse than the average representative? Who can say without watching it all.  
    I haven't followed this particular issue at all,  but I think her star power has led her to mistakes.  In particular the coup attempt against Nancy and the Amazon issue.  
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,611
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

I don't know how she is pulling vs Sanders or whether I consider that an accomplishment or not.  I thought her work in hearings was fine,  but probably exaggerated because of her media status.  In other words was it better or worse than the average representative? Who can say without watching it all.  
    I haven't followed this particular issue at all,  but I think her star power has led her to mistakes.  In particular the coup attempt against Nancy and the Amazon issue.  
    The torch is in the process of being passed to the next generation. The question remains, will progressives continue to pick up seats and in particular, seats in "fly over country?" If the answer is yes, AOC is here to stay and becomes the defacto leader of the party, barring glaring mistakes or policy overreach. I tend to believe the progressive dems are building the grassroots movement required to sustain the momentum. Speak with high schoolers and 20 somethings and you'll get a sense of how important college tuition costs, climate change, access to affordable healthcare, equal rights for all, etc. are to them. And they're attuned, informed and activated. Nancy & Chuck won't live forever, unless you believe QAnon and sucking the blood of abused children.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,109
    Sheesh all this cause I thought it was great she was regulated to the role of seconding the nomination of the loser.  Which I still think is terrific and very smart of the Biden campaign.  

Some think she showed she is the future of the party.  Perhaps.  I hope not, cause I'm trying to wrap my head around joining the Dem party since the Republican party has ceased to exist as it was once known.  But I'm just a visitor so up to the party to decide what they want to be.  I'm not a fan of her politics.  I'm a fan of her poise.  

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

The torch is in the process of being passed to the next generation. The question remains, will progressives continue to pick up seats and in particular, seats in "fly over country?" If the answer is yes, AOC is here to stay and becomes the defacto leader of the party, barring glaring mistakes or policy overreach. I tend to believe the progressive dems are building the grassroots movement required to sustain the momentum. Speak with high schoolers and 20 somethings and you'll get a sense of how important college tuition costs, climate change, access to affordable healthcare, equal rights for all, etc. are to them. And they're attuned, informed and activated. Nancy & Chuck won't live forever, unless you believe QAnon and sucking the blood of abused children.
    1. Yes, I do believe in QAnon and the blood sucking.  Or at least I heard about them and think they like me, so that's good.
    2. Generally agree with everything you say.  
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    In my opinion if you think Ocasio-Cortez failed because of Amazon I don’t think you understand the future of the progressive movement.  The last thing that people who support Ocasio-Cortez want is another corporation taking millions of dollars in corporate handouts to operate at a loss while under compensating employees and not providing good conditions for workers. She did exactly what her constituents voted her in to do, and what the progressive movement at large is fighting for.  Not a mistake or a loss in the eyes of the movement that she is becoming the face of.  
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    edited August 2020
    nicknyr15 said:
    static111 said:
    Lol that wasn’t a rant.  That was a pretty well thought out counter to an obviously biased story that was taken out of context to make her look bad.  I suppose when it comes to successful young women of color some people will look for anything to try to justify their dislike.
    Yes. It’s definitely because of her race, age and gender. It must be. 
    I second that.
    Post edited by what dreams on
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

Which generation are we passing leader torches? Isn't there an entire generation of leaders in between the near dead Boomers and barely out of their braces  Millennials?  I'm kind of done with an entire generation being left out as a vital part of the equation at age 50 (like Ms. Harris).

I like young people, their energy, and their righteousness on a variety of issues like the environment and mass shootings. I cannot stand the hubris of anyone thinking at 30 that she deserves to be *in charge* of the conversation. A part of the conversation? Yes. Take your 60 seconds of spotlight and learn from the experience -- so that when you're 50 and you have 20 more years under your belt, you have some more wisdom to lead others. 

I remember an important mentoring moment when I was 30 and had thrown a temper tantrum at work when an older 50-ish superior approached me repeatedly with condescension about how to do my job better. Her much older superior (the head of school) pulled me in and said, "Yes, she treated you like a child. And then you acted like one." I was a complete upstart and needed guidance and thank goodness a much older person was there to guide me. She gave me several other fantastic pieces of advice.

So my advice for AOC? If she doesn't want to be treated like a child, she should stop acting like one.

Nothing to do with woman's color. That's the most ridiculous fucking thing said in this whole thread about her.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Nothing that I’ve seen leads me to conclude that AOC is acting like a child. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Why is it that the only time this thread opens back up is when she explodes on someone, or about something, on Twitter? Maybe not to you, but to me, that is childish. I would suggest she's not such the master of media people would like us to believe.  If she were such a master at it, the entire country would be in love with her. We're not.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    edited August 2020
    The entire country couldn't agree on anything if the end result of doing so was a lifetime of riches and good health for all.
    We are a bunch of idiots together....and half of the idiots hate everyone else and support Trump.
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Why is it that the only time this thread opens back up is when she explodes on someone, or about something, on Twitter? Maybe not to you, but to me, that is childish. I would suggest she's not such the master of media people would like us to believe.  If she were such a master at it, the entire country would be in love with her. We're not.
    How is it she “exploded on someone on Twitter?” She played her role at the convention, per convention rules and when ostracized by NBC News for going rogue, called them, and the right wing hate media, out for it, pointing out their folly. What or how was that childish? Maybe it was her tweet calling out white nationalism/fascism that has everyone shook?
    Guess she should have just gotten back in her place and STFU?

Since when did the entire country love someone and when did you first begin to claim speaking for the entire country?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    static111 said:
    In my opinion if you think Ocasio-Cortez failed because of Amazon I don’t think you understand the future of the progressive movement.  The last thing that people who support Ocasio-Cortez want is another corporation taking millions of dollars in corporate handouts to operate at a loss while under compensating employees and not providing good conditions for workers. She did exactly what her constituents voted her in to do, and what the progressive movement at large is fighting for.  Not a mistake or a loss in the eyes of the movement that she is becoming the face of.  
    Without rehashing that argument,  it not only cost the area the Amazon jobs,  but it also cost the likely thousands of ancillary jobs to support a corporate site that has that many people.  Is it better to work for less wages than you think the market commands,  or no wages at all?
  • Options
    How is it she “exploded on someone on Twitter?” She played her role at the convention, per convention rules and when ostracized by NBC News for going rogue, called them, and the right wing hate media, out for it, pointing out their folly. What or how was that childish? Maybe it was her tweet calling out white nationalism/fascism that has everyone shook?

Since when did the entire country love someone and when did you first begin to claim speaking for the entire country?
    It would be better if a majority of her own party loved her at least.  I'm not sure that's the case. 
  • Options
    You know who I really view as masters (mistresses?) of the media? The other 10 women who didn't get the VP job. All of them were able to assert their interest in the job confidently, graciously stating their support of Harris when they weren't picked, unabashedly declaring their support of Biden because they understand the stakes of this election.

Another group -- the 15 younger leaders featured in Tuesday night's keynote that ended with Stacy Abrams. Each of them got an infamous 60 seconds that night as well, but they didn't pre-Tweet a poem about how it was "forced" upon them, turning the world on fire before the 60 seconds even happened.

AOC, on the other hand, got everyone stirred up with her pre-Tweet, without even mentioning in her poem what she was really asked to do. Then she got upset in a post-Tweet when people reacted to a confusion she partially created in the first place with her "only got a minute" Tweet. 

Ugh. I can't believe I'm still talking about this. It's really a shame, because the speech itself was quite eloquently written, and I can't even appreciate it because of the nonsense surrounding it. That is why I question her media skills. She's got people talking about the wrong thing all. the. time.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:

It would be better if a majority of her own party loved her at least.  I'm not sure that's the case. 
    There’s a generational shift occurring. AOC is closer in age to Kamala than Bernie, Nancy or Chuck. Figure Sleepy Woke Joe serves 4 years, Kamala runs and wins and serves 4 years. AOC challenges Kamala, now 58 and AOC is 38. Kamala or repub serves 4 years and AOC runs again at 42 with a larger percentage of 18-35 year olds, people of color and old shits like me who didn’t and don’t see her progressive views as “radical.” Scary isn’t it? And sure, a shit ton can happen in the next 12 years but it’s not like she’s going to be POTUS in 2021.

She doesn’t need to be loved by a majority of her party as she’s nipping at their heels. How is it child like to take on and beat a 20+ year incumbent in a primary, tell Bezos to fuck off and stand up for her constituents (never mind Bezo’s obscene wealth and resources-he doesn’t need charity tax breaks/credits), stand up to a repub who called her a fucking bitch and continues to work for her predominantly minority, blue collar, lower class constituency? In addition to being concerned with climate change, gun violence and lack of affordable health care for tens of millions of Americans? If that’s “child like behavior” send me to Romper Room. Did I mention she worked as a bartender?

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    I have met many 30 year olds far wiser than people 20 years their senior. 

Just look at how she triggered and embarrassed old man Yoho.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

There’s a generational shift occurring. AOC is closer in age to Kamala than Bernie, Nancy or Chuck. Figure Sleepy Woke Joe serves 4 years, Kamala runs and wins and serves 4 years. AOC challenges Kamala, now 58 and AOC is 38. Kamala or repub serves 4 years and AOC runs again at 42 with a larger percentage of 18-35 year olds, people of color and old shits like me who didn’t and don’t see her progressive views as “radical.” Scary isn’t it? And sure, a shit ton can happen in the next 12 years but it’s not like she’s going to be POTUS in 2021.

She doesn’t need to be loved by a majority of her party as she’s nipping at their heels. How is it child like to take on and beat a 20+ year incumbent in a primary, tell Bezos to fuck off and stand up for her constituents (never mind Bezo’s obscene wealth and resources-he doesn’t need charity tax breaks/credits), stand up to a repub who called her a fucking bitch and continues to work for her predominantly minority, blue collar, lower class constituency? In addition to being concerned with climate change, gun violence and lack of affordable health care for tens of millions of Americans? If that’s “child like behavior” send me to Romper Room. Did I mention she worked as a bartender?
    Great posts in this thread Halifax.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

You're forgetting about GenX that isn't going away anytime soon.  I'm not sure they love her either.  I'm X and don't. 

Regarding Bezos and Amazon,  he owns all of 4% of the company.  It's a publicly traded company.  
  • Options
    dignin said:

I guess I'm showing my age by saying I don't even know or care who old man Yoho is and why or how she triggered him. That is certainly a generational thing, the obsession with triggering. It's childish, this word "trigger." I don't walk around my life feeling proud of how I "own" people. 

• Options
    As I watch the tribute to John Lewis, I think about how much he accomplished without a Twitter account. 
  • Options
    dignin said:

I guess I'm showing my age by saying I don't even know or care who old man Yoho is and why or how she triggered him. That is certainly a generational thing, the obsession with triggering. It's childish, this word "trigger." I don't walk around my life feeling proud of how I "own" people. 

You should be proud that AOC didn’t get “owned” by a repub who called her “a fucking bitch.”

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    dignin said:

You should be proud that AOC didn’t get “owned” by a repub who called her “a fucking bitch.”
    Some things need responding to. Being called a bitch is one of them. 

Other times there is more power and dignity in silence when faced with petty criticism. It is not the same thing as "STFU." If you don't know the difference, I would suggest it might be due to a lack of wisdom. 

• Options
    dignin said:

Some things need responding to. Being called a bitch is one of them. 

Other times there is more power and dignity in silence when faced with petty criticism. It is not the same thing as "STFU." If you don't know the difference, I would suggest it might be due to a lack of wisdom. 

What is this “petty criticism” you speak of? Why should AOC be “silent” in the face of criticism, “petty” or otherwise? The left has been “silent” for far too fucking long and look where it’s gotten us. Unless you like where “we” are right now?

Yea, AOC needs “wisdom” because clearly without it, she’d still be tending bar.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    Without rehashing that argument,  it not only cost the area the Amazon jobs,  but it also cost the likely thousands of ancillary jobs to support a corporate site that has that many people.  Is it better to work for less wages than you think the market commands,  or no wages at all?
    It is better for the politicians that the people elected to stand up for their interests and in solidarity with the labor force.  Since we don’t have a free market wages aren’t set by the market, but instead by financial institutions and various schemes of inflation. So I would say it is best for people to stand together and demand more.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    It is better for the politicians that the people elected to stand up for their interests and in solidarity with the labor force.  Since we don’t have a free market wages aren’t set by the market, but instead by financial institutions and various schemes of inflation. So I would say it is best for people to stand together and demand more.
    I don’t think you’re really advocating for free market wages, are you?  How do financial institutions set labor prices?  I worked for a large bank for years, and I’m certain I never did anything with macro wages.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,109
    One of the biggest lies is the statement “the left has been silent too long!”  

They’ve never been silent. They’ve just been inefficient and ineffective. Hopeful Joe/,la make a systemic change. Hopeful ,la is the leader she appears to be.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Co-Sign...  If people think AOC is radical they are probably better off reorganizing the Republican Party into a viable conservative option and leaving the left.  AOC and the squad and all the new progressive faces are the future of the party and will eventually be the face of the left.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Co-Sign...  If people think AOC is radical they are probably better off reorganizing the Republican Party into a viable conservative option and leaving the left.  AOC and the squad and all the new progressive faces are the future of the party and will eventually be the face of the left.
    Once the Trump cancer is purged, there could be a realignment in politics.  It’s one where universal health and abortion are accepted by both parties, and the key arguments are around the size of the social safety net.  But until then, you’ll just have to tolerate us consolidating the vote and rolling the primaries.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

You're forgetting about GenX that isn't going away anytime soon.  I'm not sure they love her either.  I'm X and don't. 

Regarding Bezos and Amazon,  he owns all of 4% of the company.  It's a publicly traded company.  
    And yet Bezos’ net worth is $196 billion. I’m sure he could swing selling some of his 54 million shares and not fall into poverty. Let’s give him an Obamaphone and call it a day.

Do you speak for all X’ers regarding their love, or not, for AOC?

Brilliantati©