Options

Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez

Comments

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,261
    nicknyr15 said:
    Classy move last night, AOC. 
    Funny how people forget how conventions work.
    Well it has been like 4 years....
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,338
    nicknyr15 said:
    She did what she was supposed to do.  Funny how people forget how conventions work.
    I didn't watch but most people do not know how conventions work. Also, did the news anchors step in and say anything after she spoke? At a normal convention that would have happened. But with this one, I am guessing they just went directly to the next speaker. That undoubtedly played a factor in the confusion. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,839
    nicknyr15 said:
    She did what she was supposed to do.  Funny how people forget how conventions work.
    So funny. Excuse me. Sorry. Seemed weird to make no mention of joe Biden until afterwards on Twitter. 
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    People pick one 90 second bit to piss around about.  Too funny.
    I think her piece seems on brand, for her.

Also....I didn't watch this infomercial as it happened the past few nights.  Did anyone else?
    No need.
    Won't watch the other infomercial next week, either.
    (Although the unintentional comedy scale could be high for the speeches from both grandpa's.  Will likely watch those day after )
    I imagine they'll probably be pre-recorded. Biden's definitely. 
    Last night was way better than Monday.
    Jill Biden's speech was live. Joe Biden popped in and out of the segments live. His speech will be live. He is cabable of giving a speech still. So sad that some people here can't predict their own old age and what's going to happen to them when they are 77. Guess what? You're going to slow down. Doesn't mean you're brain dead because your body can't keep up. 
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,118
    I thought it was great they limited AOC to seconding the losing candidate.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Ha! Never looked at it that way. 
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,747

Also....I didn't watch this infomercial as it happened the past few nights.  Did anyone else?
    No need.
    (Although the unintentional comedy scale could be high for the speeches from both grandpa's.  Will likely watch those day after )
    Jill Biden's speech was live. Joe Biden popped in and out of the segments live. His speech will be live. He is cabable of giving a speech still. So sad that some people here can't predict their own old age and what's going to happen to them when they are 77. Guess what? You're going to slow down. Doesn't mean you're brain dead because your body can't keep up. 
    Yeah no shit. When I'm 77, I'll probably be slower than Biden is now. But I'll also be retired and not running for President.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options

No need.
    Yeah no shit. When I'm 77, I'll probably be slower than Biden is now. But I'll also be retired and not running for President.
    It may be hard to remember back four years, but presidents have Cabinets -- Cabinets that actually function with real experts running them, who don't quit or get fired every few months or have been filled by unqualified rubes whose goal is to dismantle the agencies. There are entire administrative departments who make daily national decisions based on policies set by the President and his Cabinet. Biden can still sit at a table with a collection of experts and make sound decisions. I know it's really, really hard to remember that's what presidents do.  I have seen no signs that he's incapable of that. He may shuffle like an old man, and I tend to think the strategies he's used to control his stutter are no lonegr working as well. The pressure of curated television, with its expectation of perfect execution, may not be suited for him But I haven't seen any indication that he doesn't understand the issues or can't lead a highly competent group of people who want to save our democracy.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,747

No need.
    It may be hard to remember back four years, but presidents have Cabinets -- Cabinets that actually function with real experts running them, who don't quit or get fired every few months or have been filled by unqualified rubes whose goal is to dismantle the agencies. There are entire administrative departments who make daily national decisions based on policies set by the President and his Cabinet. Biden can still sit at a table with a collection of experts and make sound decisions. I know it's really, really hard to remember that's what presidents do.  I have seen no signs that he's incapable of that. He may shuffle like an old man, and I tend to think the strategies he's used to control his stutter are no lonegr working as well. The pressure of curated television, with its expectation of perfect execution, may not be suited for him But I haven't seen any indication that he doesn't understand the issues or can't lead a highly competent group of people who want to save our democracy.
    I don't disagree with that. In fact, I think he'll be sort of like George W. Bush. He'll be the president in title, but with Harris and the cabinet really running the country. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options

No need.
    I don't disagree with that. In fact, I think he'll be sort of like George W. Bush. He'll be the president in title, but with Harris and the cabinet really running the country. 
    Guy's been a public servant for 40+ years and has run for president 3 times and you think he will Kamala Harris call the shots?

Dude...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,695

No need.
    Guy's been a public servant for 40+ years and has run for president 3 times and you think he will Kamala Harris call the shots?

Dude...
    No way.  Biden has never been a wall flower.  It's not starting now. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,990

No need.
    That's not going to happen.  Biden might make some verbal stumbles during his speech (like we all would) but he will put to rest some of the "dementia" criticisms.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

No need.

Dude...
    No way.  Biden has never been a wall flower.  It's not starting now. 
    I agree. Like, I get that he is older and slower than he was before. But there is no way in hell he reaches the top of the mountain and just hands the keys to Kamala Harris. lol.

I do agree with what_dreams in that his administration will be a collaboration attack, like what every other admin looked like before this fool came to office. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    My apologies about my earlier post. I was completely unaware of the procedure. And many news outlets misrepresented the story earlier today, including NBC. 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,028
    nicknyr15 said:
    My apologies about my earlier post. I was completely unaware of the procedure. And many news outlets misrepresented the story earlier today, including NBC. 
    I forgive you. 
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    AOC making her eager detractors look like fools.

She continues to kick ass and take names.
  • Options
    dignin said:

What about her little speech was her kicking ass and taking names exactly? I mean what’s with the love affair? 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    dignin said:

What about her little speech was her kicking ass and taking names exactly? I mean what’s with the love affair? 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/19/media/aoc-nbc-news-tweet/index.html

You guys should just stop, it's getting embarrassing.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

Tweeting angrily at the media in the middle of the night. What's not to love? All she's missing are some capital letters and exclamation points.  ;)
    Post edited by what dreams on
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,195
    That twitter rant was very trumpy.
    AOC 2024
    “Kicking Ass and Taking Names”
  • Options
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

You didn't answer my question.

I'm kinda confused.  I was happy she was left with a small part of the convention.  Seconding the nomination of the loser.  I understand that is the process.  So what about her speech was "kicking ass and taking names?" 

I never said anything about her not endorsing Biden or anything.  You are creating a fake scenario around my comment and my question.

She did kick jobs asses I guess.  But I don't consider that a good thing.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

You didn't answer my question.

I'm kinda confused.  I was happy she was left with a small part of the convention.  Seconding the nomination of the loser.  I understand that is the process.  So what about her speech was "kicking ass and taking names?" 

I never said anything about her not endorsing Biden or anything.  You are creating a fake scenario around my comment and my question.

She did kick jobs asses I guess.  But I don't consider that a good thing.
    Yea. And I even apologized for my original post. Even though I apologized I still despise her. She says obnoxious things to rile  up her base and tweets constantly. Sound familiar? 
    Post edited by nicknyr15 on
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,990
    Pretty sure she was honored to nominate Sanders.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Lol that wasn’t a rant.  That was a pretty well thought out counter to an obviously biased story that was taken out of context to make her look bad.  I suppose when it comes to successful young women of color some people will look for anything to try to justify their dislike.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    Lol that wasn’t a rant.  That was a pretty well thought out counter to an obviously biased story that was taken out of context to make her look bad.  I suppose when it comes to successful young women of color some people will look for anything to try to justify their dislike.
    Yes. It’s definitely because of her race, age and gender. It must be. 
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,677
    nicknyr15 said:
    static111 said:
    Yes. It’s definitely because of her race, age and gender. It must be. 
    Well, it’s not because of her obnoxious tweets to rile up her base. Unless you consider providing constituent services as obnoxious?

https://mobile.twitter.com/repaoc
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    JW269453 said:
    AOC 2024

other than one is factual and one is not they are exactly the same
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,195
    edited August 2020
    Smellyman said:
    JW269453 said:
    AOC 2024

other than one is factual and one is not they are exactly the same
    There was nothing factual about my comment, it was purely opinionative.

• Options
    She managed to positively own the news cycle from a minute endorsement speech, because her detractors were tripping over themselves to wrongly criticize her. Further showing how important she is and how she's going to continue to be a major player in American politics going forward.

You don't have to "love her" to figure this out.

This is pretty easy stuff to understand. She doesn't even have to try.

Comparing her to Trump is just complete nonsense and makes people look even more foolish, but by all means, continue on, it's only going to make her a bigger deal and more formidable.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,695
    dignin said:
    She managed to positively own the news cycle from a minute endorsement speech, because her detractors were tripping over themselves to wrongly criticize her. Further showing how important she is and how she's going to continue to be a major player in American politics going forward.

You don't have to "love her" to figure this out.

This is pretty easy stuff to understand. She doesn't even have to try.

Comparing her to Trump is just complete nonsense and makes people look even more foolish, but by all means, continue on, it's only going to make her a bigger deal and more formidable.
    We know she has the media management thing down.  But that doesn't necessarily mean she'll be a successful legislator. We'll need to wait and see there.