Opioid Addiction in the US, Heroin and Oxys

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,429
    edited June 2019
    this was a doctor overprescribing IN A HOSPITAL.  He had help. The pharmacist, the nursing staff that actually administered the medications. All of whom should have spoken up.....
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I was recently in the hospital and was given Oxy; upon discharge, got a prescription for 5mg which does nothing.  It has been incredibly tempting to take more than one at a time (hell, I'm not even taking them now; it's pointless) just to relieve the pain, but I'm resolute in not becoming dependent on it or any other opioid - or anything - as the prospect scares the hell out of me.

I don't want to hurt anymore though.

How do others deal with it?  I believe I'm no stronger than anyone else.

Shame on any medical professionals who are so reckless with their care.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    hedonist said:
    I was recently in the hospital and was given Oxy; upon discharge, got a prescription for 5mg which does nothing.  It has been incredibly tempting to take more than one at a time (hell, I'm not even taking them now; it's pointless) just to relieve the pain, but I'm resolute in not becoming dependent on it or any other opioid - or anything - as the prospect scares the hell out of me.

I'm sorry to hear you're hurting still :(

The weird thing is, most of the research shows that the opiates aren't actually that much more effective at pain management than non-opiate alternatives, except in a few particular instances, and the dangers are so significant. Combinations of anti-inflammatories and acetaminophen are often just as effective, though of course not everyone tolerates anti-inflammatories either. There are other options out there too. I hope you find something soon that helps, whether medication or non-medication. Good luck. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Are opiates addictive if you follow the DRs recommendation on how much to take in a day?  And if they are not much more effective than other pain killers?  I assume the pharma company that sells these knows this, is it possible that they took that knowledge, knowing people would take more than the recommended dose and become addicted to creating more customers?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    hedonist said:

CBD oil or try smoking a joint.

Seriously.
    hedonist said:

Seriously.
    Oil is excellent...it really gives me a good night sleep...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    hedonist said:

Seriously.
    I've been using cannabis in various forms but it sadly isn't a cure-all.  And I'm laying off the tinctures as I was using a lot and the oils/mixes didn't sit well with me.  Flower and edibles for now; they do help some with relaxation and sleep.

Meltdown, I don't know.  Mine do nothing, so why would I even follow the instructions to take them?  May be moot anyway, as I've been told to take them as needed.  I'm more frightened of relying on them than the pain itself.  That said, I can completely see someone upping their dosage out of desperation.  Makes sense yet no sense.

often, thank you.  My liver dictates no standard OTC relief.  I'm hopefully starting physical therapy next week which may bring some relief (pleeeease!).  Still, it would be nice - a mental relief, even - to have a small stash of "if I absolutely need to's".

And mickey, I meant to say...well, you know.  And I wish you well.
    hedonist said:
    hedonist said:

Seriously.
    I've been using cannabis in various forms but it sadly isn't a cure-all.  And I'm laying off the tinctures as I was using a lot and the oils/mixes didn't sit well with me.  Flower and edibles for now; they do help some with relaxation and sleep.

Meltdown, I don't know.  Mine do nothing, so why would I even follow the instructions to take them?  May be moot anyway, as I've been told to take them as needed.  I'm more frightened of relying on them than the pain itself.  That said, I can completely see someone upping their dosage out of desperation.  Makes sense yet no sense.

often, thank you.  My liver dictates no standard OTC relief.  I'm hopefully starting physical therapy next week which may bring some relief (pleeeease!).  Still, it would be nice - a mental relief, even - to have a small stash of "if I absolutely need to's".

back at ya lady. do your thing. got your back.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Glad you thought so.
    Do you guys have safe injecting rooms in the US?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    hedonist said:
    hedonist said:

Seriously.

That's the thing with Cannabis, what works me, might not work for you...so I do apologize.   For some, it's trial and error.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    mickeyrat said:
    this was a doctor overprescribing IN A HOSPITAL.  He had help. The pharmacist, the nursing staff that actually administered the medications. All of whom should have spoken up.....
    Yes, you raised valid points.  It seems hospitals need better checks and balance system...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Glad you thought so.
    In Canada, we have safe injection sites and soon safe injection sites in prison...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    hedonist said:
    hedonist said:

Seriously.

That's the thing with Cannabis, what works me, might not work for you...so I do apologize.   For some, it's trial and error.
    Thank you, and while I agree about cannabis, I was speaking of Oxy specifically in my case.
    Glad you thought so.
    I have never heard of them.  The majority of people would go nuts over that I'd think.

Seattle might be a good candidate to try that considering the little house thing is becoming them it seems.
    Glad you thought so.
    I have never heard of them.  The majority of people would go nuts over that I'd think.

Seattle might be a good candidate to try that considering the little house thing is becoming them it seems.
    https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/azeenghorayshi/philadelphia-safe-injection-site

mickeyrat said:
    Glad you thought so.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/azeenghorayshi/philadelphia-safe-injection-site

Philly?  Wouldn't have seen that coming.  Seattle I'd expect.

So there you have it, we have 2 cities with them.

Crazy.
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    My friend, who works at a hospital, tells me it is actually pretty common that people will shoot up right in hospital parking lots in case of overdose. I live in a fairly small but very conservative “wealthy” town and she says drug ods or related situations are one of the most common reasons for er. visit. I’ve done my fair share of Vicodin and glad I never really liked them especially considering my addictive personality. I do know after doing them even just a week or so pretty heavy how shitty I would feel for like a whole week afterwards and actually make common pains feel worse.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

mickeyrat said:
    Glad you thought so.

Crazy.
    recall hearing about a very young mayor somewhere in upstate or western new york with the idea to do the same.

mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Glad you thought so.

Crazy.
    recall hearing about a very young mayor somewhere in upstate or western new york with the idea to do the same.
    Upstate might as well be another country to us here.  We get zero news about what happens up there.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Hi! said:
    My friend, who works at a hospital, tells me it is actually pretty common that people will shoot up right in hospital parking lots in case of overdose. I live in a fairly small but very conservative “wealthy” town and she says drug ods or related situations are one of the most common reasons for er. visit. I’ve done my fair share of Vicodin and glad I never really liked them especially considering my addictive personality. I do know after doing them even just a week or so pretty heavy how shitty I would feel for like a whole week afterwards and actually make common pains feel worse.
    I'm lucky in that all pain killers make me feel like shit- so much so that pain is less of a problem.  Benzodiazapines and opium, on the other hand are like candy to me.  I have/ have to stay away from them.  Thank goodness for cannabis. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited June 2019
    brianlux said:
    Hi! said:
    I'm lucky in that all pain killers make me feel like shit- so much so that pain is less of a problem.  Benzodiazapines and opium, on the other hand are like candy to me.  I have/ have to stay away from them.  Thank goodness for cannabis. 
    Yep, l like weed, coffee, and cigs. Never got into drinking much, thank god. All my brothers are severe alcoholics.
    i had a bad Adderall addiction for like 6 yrs. Fuck.... I actually did some the other week, for the first time in yrs, never again. I got 40 30’s and did like 15 of them in a weekend. When I started crashing, flushed the rest down the toilet. Evil fucking shit, and they be giving that shit to little kids. Fucked up. Never again.
    Post edited by Hi! on

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

Glad you thought so.

Is Seattle the heroin capital of the US?
    If so, what are the reasons?
    Any ex-heroin addicts here? Is it really that hard to kick?
    Glad you thought so.

Is Seattle the heroin capital of the US?
    If so, what are the reasons?
    It is all debatable on "why".

Let some of the locals chime in as they have in the "homeless" thread.  They have a much better grip on this then I would.
    edited June 2019
    Yeah, any drug that you inject in your view is bad and very dumb.  Drugs were discussed in high school and heroin addiction is so damaging. I have a friend who is a nurse who worked with homeless and addicted...it's tragic that they see no other way that staying in a drug-induced haze.  

American Cities with the Highest Addiction Rates
    https://www.dualdiagnosis.org/american-cities-with-the-highest-addiction-rates/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd3oqvnDKQk
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I talked with a guy once who did it once and he said it was so good it scared the shit out of him and he never did it again. Better than sex is also how he described it. I can’t even imagine what withdrawal would be like.

Yeah, any drug that you inject in your view is bad and very dumb.  Drugs were discussed in high school and heroin addiction is so damaging. I have a friend who is a nurse who worked with homeless and addicted...it's tragic that they see no other way that staying in a drug-induced haze.  

American Cities with the Highest Addiction Rates
    https://www.dualdiagnosis.org/american-cities-with-the-highest-addiction-rates/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd3oqvnDKQk
    Funny you posted that as I am listening to Neil Young haha.
    Hi! said:
    I talked with a guy once who did it once and he said it was so good it scared the shit out of him and he never did it again. Better than sex is also how he described it. I can’t even imagine what withdrawal would be like.
    The best feeling I've had was with painkillers after I broke a bone in my foot. I didn't know much about drugs at the time. I felt warm, euphoric and my depression and anxiety was wiped away. I'd like to have that feeling all the time without addiction.