Opioid Addiction in the US, Heroin and Oxys

13»

Comments

• Hi!Hi! Posts: 1,054
    Hi! said:
    Any ex-heroin addicts here? Is it really that hard to kick?
    I talked with a guy once who did it once and he said it was so good it scared the shit out of him and he never did it again. Better than sex is also how he described it. I can’t even imagine what withdrawal would be like.
    The best feeling I've had was with painkillers after I broke a bone in my foot. I didn't know much about drugs at the time. I felt warm, euphoric and my depression and anxiety was wiped away. I'd like to have that feeling all the time without addiction.
    I’ve had that feeling with painkillers once or twice. Best buzz I’ve ever had was taking adderall and smoking weed at same time, froze, but it gets old after awhile which all the negative side affects. I always enjoyed the high from mushrooms as well.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 13,316
    Yeah which is why people get hooked. Feels great but after tolerance kicks in you're just stopping withdrawal symptoms.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 18,575
    Never done shrooms, never took pills.

Took a codeine once.  Tore up my stomach, rough stormy weather made it worse.  Was next to the toilet for that trip into Dutch Harbor...
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 27,274
    Killer!

"The answer is never the answer.  What's really interesting is the mystery.  If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking."
    -Ken Kesey
    M.I.T.S.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of foreverPosts: 19,617
    edited June 11
    brianlux said:
    Killer!

Ironic comment :whistle:  I actually prefer Blind Melon's cover of this vs. the original.

Speaking of fucked up songs (or being aware you're fucked up), these guys always nail it for me.

"But what would help is my medicine."

Post edited by hedonist on
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 27,274
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    Killer!

Ironic comment :whistle:  I actually prefer Blind Melon's cover of this vs. the original.

Speaking of fucked up songs (or being aware you're fucked up), these guys always nail it for me.

"But what would help is my medicine."

LOL, how true!

And for those who don't know it, here is the original "The Pusher" performed and written by Hoyt Axton:

"The answer is never the answer.  What's really interesting is the mystery.  If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking."
    -Ken Kesey
    M.I.T.S.

• jeffbrjeffbr SeattlePosts: 6,485
    Glad you thought so.
    Do you guys have safe injecting rooms in the US?
    I have never heard of them.  The majority of people would go nuts over that I'd think.

Seattle might be a good candidate to try that considering the little house thing is becoming them it seems.
    Is Seattle the heroin capital of the US?
    If so, what are the reasons?
    Seattle isn't the heroin capital, but Seattle seems to be extra accommodating to addicts and criminals, so they're perhaps more visible than in other places. We tend to enable bad behavior on the streets. Here in Seattle you can piss and shit on the streets, you can camp wherever you want, you can shoplift, and you can possess up to 3g of opioids without any fear of prosecution, so it's a bit of a free for all. I actually have no issue with putting safe injection sites here, because at least that way there could be an avenue for social services to be involved with these people, and most importantly they would have access to clean needles, and the needles they use would be disposed of properly instead of littering the parks, streets and school playgrounds like they do now.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    Well, as per a news report today, my city is the heroin capital of Australia.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business...Posts: 6,400
    It's bad here in Canada as well...but it appears that our federal government has given up the battle...they are allowing a safe injection site in federal prison...LMFAO...I guess the fucking geniuses who thought this plan through have never heard of rehab or solitary confinement until you go to rehab.  
    People here are treating it like a crime. It's an illness which is caused by mental illness and or homelessness. But people fail to see that.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 14,859
    People here are treating it like a crime. It's an illness which is caused by mental illness and or homelessness. But people fail to see that.
    addiction itself? or the things people will do to sustain the addiction?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    The addiction.
    mickeyrat said:
    The addiction.
    what about alcoholism? its the same thing.

and if addiction to various pills is criminal, the doctors and pharmacists should be held liable too, no?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BCPosts: 9,994
    It's bad here in Canada as well...but it appears that our federal government has given up the battle...they are allowing a safe injection site in federal prison...LMFAO...I guess the fucking geniuses who thought this plan through have never heard of rehab or solitary confinement until you go to rehab.  
    I think you are not familiar with the research on safe injection sites, nor the federal regulations on when "solitary confinement" can be used and when it can not, nor what treatment programs are available in corrections now. And perhaps not familiar with how jails and prisons are built, and that there isn't infinite capacity to put everyone in "solitary confinement". Are you in favour of a lot more building of prisons?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    The addiction.

and if addiction to various pills is criminal, the doctors and pharmacists should be held liable too, no?
    I didn't say it's a crime. I said other people are. I'm saying it is an illness. 
    I think you are not familiar with the research on safe injection sites, nor the federal regulations on when "solitary confinement" can be used and when it can not, nor what treatment programs are available in corrections now. And perhaps not familiar with how jails and prisons are built, and that there isn't infinite capacity to put everyone in "solitary confinement". Are you in favour of a lot more building of prisons?
    I am familiar with what prison is supposed to be...it a place to serve your sentence...not a place to go to get high.  Every Cell can be locked 24/7.  They can build treatment centers at a few prisons, and for those who refuse to deal with life can either sit in their cell 2/7 or they can build an isolation wing...in our justice system, we favour rehabilitation except for drug abuse.  I choose not to endorse enabling.

Now you can troll someone else...
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    The addiction.

I didn't say it's a crime. I said other people are. I'm saying it is an illness. 
    oh no, I got your stance on it. but you are the man on the ground so to speak, so I wondered what Aussies felt in general on alcoholics in relation to other addicted people.

I am familiar with what prison is supposed to be...it a place to serve your sentence...not a place to go to get high.  Every Cell can be locked 24/7.  They can build treatment centers at a few prisons, and for those who refuse to deal with life can either sit in their cell 2/7 or they can build an isolation wing...in our justice system, we favour rehabilitation except for drug abuse.  I choose not to endorse enabling.

Now you can troll someone else...
    Your definition of trolling is an amusing one. 

Have you ever worked in a correctional facility? I have. You have no idea how they actually operate.  
    Maybe I'll come back to this debate later.  It's party time in Ontario and Canada and most importantly Toronto...great parade happening in Toronto.  Should check it out...maybe someday Vancouver and BC will win a championship. or maybe not.
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    The addiction.

oh no, I got your stance on it. but you are the man on the ground so to speak, so I wondered what Aussies felt in general on alcoholics in relation to other addicted people.
    Oh, we love our alcohol here. We have a big drinking culture where it is expected that you'll have a few on a night out. If you say you are a non drinker people look at you and ask questions and give you a hard time. I know from personal experience and from hearing other people share similar stories. Having said all that, I don't think it is looked down upon like heroin addiction. I never hear people saying negative things about alcoholics. 
    Maybe I'll come back to this debate later.  It's party time in Ontario and Canada and most importantly Toronto...great parade happening in Toronto.  Should check it out...maybe someday Vancouver and BC will win a championship. or maybe not.

By all means, come on back when you wish. I've worked in medium and maximum security correctional facilities in Ontario and BC. Right now I don't work in correctional facilities, but I still work in addictions treatment. BC is by far the better province to live in, and I was so stoked to be able to move back. It would be difficult for me to care less than I do about whether BC ever wins a championship in any sport, though. The sport that I'm passionate about, that I participate in and follow, isn't one that's ever going to lead to a parade; in fact, even thinking about that kind of makes me laugh.