Auto-Save Draft feature temporarily disabled. Please be sure you manually save your post by selecting "Save Draft" if you have that need.

Opioid Addiction in the US, Heroin and Oxys

1235»

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 27,687
    And a global pandemic certainly isn't going to help drive those numbers down.

I hear ya, but super cheap and super addictive. Probably my only libertarian view I'll ever have is that all drugs should be legalized. Because the war on drugs has clearly never worked. Legalize it all, regulate it all, make it accessible to all. And on the other end of the spectrum - socialize the healthcare system. At least at the end of the day you're keeping people out of incarceration systems and into health systems, safe places.
    Haven’t you witnessed the effects of the Devil’s Weed? Driving ‘Murica to ruin with its wicked ways.
    It’s the “Devil’s Lettuce” on the down low…
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 28,310

I hear ya, but super cheap and super addictive. Probably my only libertarian view I'll ever have is that all drugs should be legalized. Because the war on drugs has clearly never worked. Legalize it all, regulate it all, make it accessible to all. And on the other end of the spectrum - socialize the healthcare system. At least at the end of the day you're keeping people out of incarceration systems and into health systems, safe places.
    Haven’t you witnessed the effects of the Devil’s Weed? Driving ‘Murica to ruin with its wicked ways.
    Lettuce is a weed, no? Like “no fruit in my beer,” no weeds with my meat. Off to be satan’s Minion, you! Burn!
    09/15/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/29/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield, MA; 08/18/08, O2 London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA;

"If you're looking down on someone, it better be to extend them a hand to lift them up."

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©

Lettuce is a weed, no? Like “no fruit in my beer,” no weeds with my meat. Off to be satan’s Minion, you! Burn!
    A weed is something that usually sucks out the life of the good plants though.  Referring it to lettuce makes it sound much more wholesome.

There is a NY times article that I can't access that discusses how justice looks like when you're the Sackler family.  The title seems on par w the HBO doc someone mentioned earlier.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 21,905
      How Did the Sacklers Pull This Off? https://nyti.ms/3r8WdTa

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
      How Did the Sacklers Pull This Off? https://nyti.ms/3r8WdTa

That's the article!
    US opioid lawsuits on verge of settlements with 4 companies
    By GEOFF MULVIHILL
    Today

The yearslong effort by state and local governments in the U.S. to force the pharmaceutical industry to help pay to fix a nationwide opioid addiction and overdose crisis took a major step forward Tuesday when lawyers for local governments announced they were on the verge of a $26 billion settlement with the nation's three biggest drug distribution companies and the drugmaker Johnson & Johnson.

Under the deal, Johnson & Johnson would not produce any opioids for at least a decade. And AmerisourceBergen, Cardinal Health and McKesson share prescribing information under a new system intended to stop the avalanches of pills that arrived in some regions about a decade ago.

Lawyers for local governments said full details could be shared within days. That would not be the end of the deal though; each state would have 30 days to decide whether to join. And local governments will have five months after that to decide. If governments don't opt in, the settlement total would go down.

“This is a nationwide crisis and it could have been and should have been addressed perhaps by other branches of government,” Paul Geller, one of the lead lawyers representing local governments across the U.S., said in a conference call with reporters Tuesday. “But this really is an example of the use of litigation for fixing a national problem.”

If approved, the settlement will likely be the biggest of many settlements to opioid litigation. While it means billions for lawyers who worked the cases, it is expected to bring more than $23 billion to abatement and mitigation efforts to help get treatment for people who are addicted along with other programs to address the crisis. The money would come in 18 annual payments, with the biggest amounts in the next several years.

The deal echoes one the companies have been pushing, sometimes in public, for two years.

continues....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
     Drug Distributors and J.&J. Reach $26 Billion Deal to End Opioids Lawsuits https://nyti.ms/3rs3sFO
    July 21, 2021Updated 6:40 p.m. ET

After nearly two years of wrangling, the country’s three major drug distributors and a pharmaceutical giant have reached a $26 billion deal with states that would release some of the biggest companies in the industry from all legal liability in the opioid epidemic, a decades-long public health crisis that has killed hundreds of thousands of Americans.

The agreement, announced Wednesday afternoon by a bipartisan group of state attorneys general, lays the framework for billions of dollars to begin flowing into communities across the country for addiction treatment, prevention services and other steep expenses from the epidemic.

The deal comes as the addiction crisis is worsening. Overdose deaths from opioids hit a record high in 2020, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported earlier this month, a rise driven partly by the isolation and shutdown of services during the coronavirus pandemic. In all, more than 500,000 have died from overdoses to prescription and illegal street opioids since 1999, according to federal data.

“The urgency of the problem continues,” said Attorney General Herbert H. Slatery III of Tennessee at the news conference announcing the deal. “It’s just relentless.” Tennessee, whose own spike in opioid deaths was particularly sharp in 2020, could receive more than $500 million if the agreement is finalized.

continues....

I wonder if the agreement has provisions that that money cannot be used for purposes other than addiction related services....

mickeyrat said:
    I wonder if the agreement has provisions that that money cannot be used for purposes other than addiction related services....
    You mean like they did with the Lotto, gasoline taxes and Tobacco money?  Nah.

There are already people screaming that the state is going to "misappropriate funds".  So basically NY was given a 1.1B check to do as they see fit.