They're going to ban Smartphone use at shows

Comments

• myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    ikiT said:
    Those phones don't make you smart.
    And they take crappy images of concerts!!! ....
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• PSUS2H said:
    I am probably reiterating something someone said earlier, but Jack White has people put them into a magnetically locked "Yonder" pouch.  Saw him in SF....no phones....it was the best....

Yes yes yes!  You can scan your ticket on the way in, and lock it up and enjoy the show.    

Hopefully this restriction is disclosed at the time of ticket purchase.

I agree phones at shows can be very annoying. However, forfeiting non intrusive use all evening, plus additional lines to lock and unlock phones - in addition to lines for security, ticket scans, concessions and rest rooms is something I would dread just as much as intrusive phone use.

Also its ironic how much some acts hate appearing on you tube. If they were less successful  their attitudes might be different. 
    Speking from limited experience, I can offer the following:

The process of getting into the show (Jack White) was seemless.  You have to take you phone out to go through the metal detector...on the other side they have you put it into the yonder pouch and "lock" it.  The only hold up was when people balked....with that said, it was clear when you bought the tickets that it was a cell free enviornment.  On the way out there was a device that you set the pouch on, popped off the magnetic lock and were on your way.  If it added 20 seconds to my night I may be overstating it.  

People were not dope-ily looking at their phones pre-show...they actually interacted, had conversations, drank beer...together.  A positive experience all the way around.  Btw, if you needed to make a call....you could go into an area in the foyer and unlock the phone.....but when you left they clicked it close again....
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,867
    Besides instances of a medical emergency or some kind of danger, no concert has ever been improved by security getting more involved.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    PSUS2H said:
    I am probably reiterating something someone said earlier, but Jack White has people put them into a magnetically locked "Yonder" pouch.  Saw him in SF....no phones....it was the best....

Yes yes yes!  You can scan your ticket on the way in, and lock it up and enjoy the show.    

I agree phones at shows can be very annoying. However, forfeiting non intrusive use all evening, plus additional lines to lock and unlock phones - in addition to lines for security, ticket scans, concessions and rest rooms is something I would dread just as much as intrusive phone use.

Also its ironic how much some acts hate appearing on you tube. If they were less successful  their attitudes might be different. 

The process of getting into the show (Jack White) was seemless.  You have to take you phone out to go through the metal detector...on the other side they have you put it into the yonder pouch and "lock" it.  The only hold up was when people balked....with that said, it was clear when you bought the tickets that it was a cell free enviornment.  On the way out there was a device that you set the pouch on, popped off the magnetic lock and were on your way.  If it added 20 seconds to my night I may be overstating it.  

People were not dope-ily looking at their phones pre-show...they actually interacted, had conversations, drank beer...together.  A positive experience all the way around.  Btw, if you needed to make a call....you could go into an area in the foyer and unlock the phone.....but when you left they clicked it close again....
    love love love it.  I saw Metallica at Jimmy Kimmel Live and this was one of the few instances they didnt use a video screen.  I literally could not see them on the stage due to the sea of cellphones.  Short people using them as periscopes was not helping.
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    Simple solution:  Line the theaters or stadiums with lead.  That will stop 'em!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• dr122931dr122931 Posts: 455
    When jack white did this in houston, it made the show so much better.  Getting the phones out of the bag was seamless and didn’t require any waiting.   That said, it makes it difficult for people to attend under circumstances.  Imagine if your spouse is pregnant or you have a sick relative.  I was able to do it, but had the show been two months earlier (while my wife was pregnant) I wouldn’t have been able to attend.  One of my friends wasn’t able to attend because he needed to be able to access his phone due to a relative with health issues.  Other people may have work issues.  

In short, I love the idea in theory, but in reality it can have some unintended consequences for people attending.  (Yes, you can easily unlock phone, but it’s not feasible to go to lobby and check it every 10 minutes). 
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,621
    dr122931 said:
    When jack white did this in houston, it made the show so much better.  Getting the phones out of the bag was seamless and didn’t require any waiting.   That said, it makes it difficult for people to attend under circumstances.  Imagine if your spouse is pregnant or you have a sick relative.  I was able to do it, but had the show been two months earlier (while my wife was pregnant) I wouldn’t have been able to attend.  One of my friends wasn’t able to attend because he needed to be able to access his phone due to a relative with health issues.  Other people may have work issues.  

In short, I love the idea in theory, but in reality it can have some unintended consequences for people attending.  (Yes, you can easily unlock phone, but it’s not feasible to go to lobby and check it every 10 minutes). 
    At the end of the day, no matter how Jack or Maynard might spin it, it better serves the artist than the fans IMO.  I'm not saying no fans gain a benefit, but your comment is on point.  There are downsides to it.  But there are no downsides for the artist.  
  • AmishGuy91AmishGuy91 Posts: 826
    The strangest part of the Jack White show to me was they old guy they had out front telling people to Bugger Off and Get off my lawn.
  • mrussel1 said:
    dr122931 said:

At the end of the day, no matter how Jack or Maynard might spin it, it better serves the artist than the fans IMO.  I'm not saying no fans gain a benefit, but your comment is on point.  There are downsides to it.  But there are no downsides for the artist.  
    Let me preface this by saying that I have two kids and I have totally been in the shoes (twice) of someone who needed to be attentive to my cell phone when it got down to the days before delivery.  With that said, I have a hard time using that somewhat rare occurrence (a pregnant spouse and tickets to show) to argue against a cell phone ban inside the venue.  It is a bit like everything today....we forego doing the democratic and right thing because a very small percentage of the populace may be inconvenienced.  

It isn't people checking their phones for status updates on pregnancy, health issues or work concerns that has made this proposed action an interesting topic of discussion.  It has everything to do with people filming entire songs....or worse, periscoping the show in its' entirety, that has a lot of people happily acting like Luddites and wishing for a time (at least for a couple of hours) before cell phones.  
    Banning cell phones isn't going to stop annoying people from being annoying. Someone who doesn't have the courtesy or sense to turn their screen brightness down and hold the phone at a low angle that doesn't block the people behind them is unlikely to worry much about other aspects of concert etiquette.

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    JimmyV said:
    Banning cell phones isn't going to stop annoying people from being annoying. Someone who doesn't have the courtesy or sense to turn their screen brightness down and hold the phone at a low angle that doesn't block the people behind them is unlikely to worry much about other aspects of concert etiquette.
    But 10,000 4-7" screens won't be glowing at peak brightness all night long.
  • AmishGuy91AmishGuy91 Posts: 826
    Drunk people have annoyed me way more at concerts than cell phone users, but I don't see anyone clamoring to stop alcohol sales
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    annoying people at concerts really piss me off but usually i'm so high i forget to really care about them
  • Drunk people have annoyed me way more at concerts than cell phone users, but I don't see anyone clamoring to stop alcohol sales
    That is a true story.....the "fighting" their way to the front mentality despite showing up 45 minutes into the first set....the drunken chatter on how pissed they are that their boyfriend "looked at that girl"....the passing out and having to be handed over to security at the rail....the vomit...etc., etc., etc.......

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,110
    PSUS2H said:

Thanks for the info.  20 seconds is impressive.  Seems it takes forever to leave shows. They must have alot of stations to unlock?
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Drunk people have annoyed me way more at concerts than cell phone users, but I don't see anyone clamoring to stop alcohol sales
    This. Maybe we should have breathalyzers administered at the screening point. I also hate loud talkers and constant talkers, so perhaps we could issue ball gags as well. Cell phones are about 5 down the list for me in terms of concert annoyances.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    JimmyV said:

Couldn't agree more. I almost got killed at PJ MSG 2003 bc the strong looking dude in front of me would not stop chatting with his date for the first half hour. When I begged they enjoy the band the guy was seriously gonna deck me. I pleaded "dude we both love PJ - let's rock out" He smiled and was courteous the rest of the show

Same thing happened at Radiohead last year except the dude would ignore my begging and wouldn't shut up for a long time.

At least if they have a phone there is a chance it could keep them quiet. 

I just dont get those who go to shows to yap over the bands.
  • SJD3232SJD3232 Posts: 2,200
    people are the worst
    I'm really surprised so many people are against this idea. It's great everyone has an opinion though! 
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
    ^ It takes an annoying situation ( rude cellphone use) and turns it into a potentially catastrophically horrible situation (family health issue unknown at time of purchase).

I like Maynard's way of dealing with it.  Give everyone a song or two to snap pics then ban above the elbow use the rest of the show.

Bands should required to offer refunds in the case of unknown health issues at time of purchase if they want to ban phones. Like that'll ever happen.
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    ^ It takes an annoying situation ( rude cellphone use) and turns it into a potentially catastrophically horrible situation (family health issue unknown at time of purchase).

I like Maynard's way of dealing with it.  Give everyone a song or two to snap pics then ban above the elbow use the rest of the show.

Bands should required to offer refunds in the case of unknown health issues at time of purchase if they want to ban phones. Like that'll ever happen.
    Its not like you are not allowed to bring your phone in. It still works. At Jack White I had to walk a whole 50 feet outside of the room to one of the areas where you were allowed to use your phone. I could still feel when I was getting a call or a text.  It would take a whole extra 30 seconds to go and see if it was an emergency. 
    That is not exactly how Tool and APC do it, I saw plenty of people warned and then ejected for using their phones.
    Bands and venues should also offer refunds if I have to watch a show through someones phone then. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    If there is an emergency and your phone is ringing like crazy you can go to a phone zone (like a smoking section) to check it. 
    Nothing says rock n roll like a bunch of added rules and regulations for security to enforce.

The argument that goes along the lines of "But what if I have kids or what if someone I love goes into the hospital" doesn't hold up. 

When I worked as program assistant for a college human services program, the head prof told every new class that cell phones were not allowed in our classroom.  Every year she got the same response, "But what if I have children..."  and she would say, "That's no reason for you to have a cell phone is this classroom.  That's not our responsibility here.  It's your responsibility to provide proper child care for your children and to give your full attention to this class."

"But what if someone I love is in..."

"If they are in the hospital, they are being taken care of and there is nothing you can do for them here.  There are no reasons for any of you to have a cell phone in this classroom, period."

Same for shows.  Don't bug others with your phone.  Turn it off, enjoy the show, and let others enjoy the show as well. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited June 2019
    The Jack White shows are a perfect example of how this can work VERY well. It was crazy, people actually talking to each other and not checking Twitter, IG, SnapChat, FaceBook..etc. And everyone was actually watching the show.. It was refreshing.
    Kids are ripping themselves off from focusing on the music by being obsessed with their devices.  I might sound critical, but it's only because I wish they could understand what exactly it is they are missing. (Not to mention what a drag it is for many of the performers.)

Then:

Now:

• Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,765
    dr122931 said:

But what did people do about those situations in 1985 when they saw Def Leppard or Quiet Riot?
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,765
    brianlux said:
    Kids are ripping themselves off from focusing on the music by being obsessed with their devices.  I might sound critical, but it's only because I wish they could understand what exactly it is they are missing. (Not to mention what a drag it is for many of the performers.)

Then:

Now:

Fake news.

80% of those phones would be vertical.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,760
    Fake news.
    80% of those phones would be vertical.
    ...and out of focus, flashlight on, failing to stream.
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,336
    brianlux said:

Then:

Now:

THIS is SOOOOOO sad and depressing. 
    They don't know what it's like to go to a show and just watch the show itself...a shame.
    Plenty of us from no-phone generation can still remember how to do it....I say BRING ON THE POUCHES>