Options

They're going to ban Smartphone use at shows

18910111214»

Comments

• Options
    stickman said:
    And anyone who says they are “respectful” about their taping ... get over yourself .... it is just rude and annoying for everyone around you.  So please don’t clear your conscious thinking your doing it respectfully because I will say again your being completely disrespectful !!  I don’t need your cell phone camera in my view. 
    Yeah I have no problem with someone taking a quick 10-second video to upload to whatever social media service they like. But when someone in front of you is filming the entire show (or hell, even just an entire song), it can be infuriating. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    LYackyLYacky 🇨🇦 Posts: 72
    stickman said:
    And anyone who says they are “respectful” about their taping ... get over yourself .... it is just rude and annoying for everyone around you.  So please don’t clear your conscious thinking your doing it respectfully because I will say again your being completely disrespectful !!  I don’t need your cell phone camera in my view. 
    How is it "rude and annoying" if myself or anyone else is standing there holding their phone in front of them at no more than eye level? How is that blocking your view in any way and how is that being disrespectful? Personally I've never obstructed anyone's view because I've always been extremely cognizant of how I'm holding my phone. So yeah, if you're not being an ass about it and holding it high above your head or shining a bright flash in someone's face there should be zero issues. It IS possible to be respectful in a situation like that and not be a  total jackass. I'm genuinely sorry your experiences have been unpleasant but try not to lump everyone under the same category because of a few idiots. 
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    stickman said:

Where do you draw the line dude / dudette?  Sorry but you make it seem like you expect a concert to be just for you and you alone.  The following things can hamper your personal enjoyment of a show:  excessive clapping, arm raising, fist pumping, excessive singing, any singing, drinking, jumping, moshing, crowd surfing, those fuckers who raise their arms during the hymn part of Do The Evolution, dancing, weed smokers, cigarette smokers, hash smokers, and yes, folks who take pictures/videos.   I think people can be respectful about all of those things (maybe not the smoking part), including filming. IMO, for them to do those things doesn't make them rude, annoying, or disrespectful as you said... they're just enjoying the show in their own way.. hopefully keeping in mind the folks around them.  It's a rock show, not church. 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    JimmyV said:
    I remain steadfastly against any ban on cellphones that encourages overzealous security guards to barrel into the seats looking to confiscate a phone in the middle of a show. Ed's 2012 shows in Clearwater, FL were ridiculous in this regard.
    Yeah that's not what you want. But the Jack White way worked well enough to me. They gave you a foam case when you entered that you locked your phone in, but you still keep it on in your pocket. There were designated areas to go to have it unlocked in case you really needed to use it, but otherwise, it stayed locked until you left the venue, and there were people at the door to unlock it for you on the way out. Overall, I liked it. 
    Did that not create lines miles long and take forever to get out? Thats what I would foresee happening at a big show, taking 8 hours just to exit if you want your phone back. 

Either way I find it ironic that it seems bands either require phones to get in, or completely ban them now.
    Super easy departure....every exit has a device that opens the bag and a receptacle for the bag once you remove your phone....literally never stopped walking...
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,268
    mace1229 said:
    What annoys me exponentially more than phones are flags and signs people hold up. I don’t care that you came from Spain or that you really need to hear Bugs, keep that at home
    I appreciate it when people hold up signs asking to hear "Bugs," because that tells me they are mentally ill and that I should keep my distance.

And I say this as someone for whom "Bugs" is the only album track I've never seen the band perform live (not including songs that have never been performed).
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,060
    Jack White was one of the most enjoyable concert experiences I’ve had in years. I didn’t use the pouch thing just left my phone in the car. No phones made the concert experience so much better in many ways. Obviously no annoying screen/light bothering view. But the best part was the actual engagement of the crowd!  Everybody was engaged with the show. The other cool thing was even in the concourse before the show everybody was conversing. It was actually surreal to look around and see no phones and instead everyone engaged in a conversation. To me there is no downside to the way Jack White is handling it. 
  • Options
    Spurs14Spurs14 Buffalo Grove, IL Posts: 226
    LYacky said:
    stickman said:
    How is it "rude and annoying" if myself or anyone else is standing there holding their phone in front of them at no more than eye level? How is that blocking your view in any way and how is that being disrespectful? Personally I've never obstructed anyone's view because I've always been extremely cognizant of how I'm holding my phone. So yeah, if you're not being an ass about it and holding it high above your head or shining a bright flash in someone's face there should be zero issues. It IS possible to be respectful in a situation like that and not be a  total jackass. I'm genuinely sorry your experiences have been unpleasant but try not to lump everyone under the same category because of a few idiots. 

Agreed.  I video a couple songs and never put the camera higher than my eyes so I don't block the view of people behind me.  And how would this be any more annoying than the person in front of you who constantly raises their arms up for long periods of time or sings very loudly (and poor)?
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    JimmyV said:
    stickman said:
    Ummm ... I have seen Jack White and The Raconteurs 4 times with this policy .... you can go to an area and use your phone.  In Fenway I had a person who about 6’3” standing in front of me with his phone taping for 3/4 of the show blocking my view.  When asked nicely he laughed at me.  I had my 11 year old with me.  Thanks dude !! 

I say ban them !!  

Banning the phones wouldn't have stopped that guy from being 6'3" or from being a rude jackass.
    Agree, I think we should ban all people over 6 feet. Or at least give them all crap seats
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,165
    Jack White was one of the most enjoyable concert experiences I’ve had in years. I didn’t use the pouch thing just left my phone in the car. No phones made the concert experience so much better in many ways. Obviously no annoying screen/light bothering view. But the best part was the actual engagement of the crowd!  Everybody was engaged with the show. The other cool thing was even in the concourse before the show everybody was conversing. It was actually surreal to look around and see no phones and instead everyone engaged in a conversation. To me there is no downside to the way Jack White is handling it. 
    Key words there are "to me". Not everyone enjoys things the same way.
  • Options
    huntersthompsonhuntersthompson Posts: 846
    edited February 2020
    mace1229 said:
    JimmyV said:
    stickman said:
    Ummm ... I have seen Jack White and The Raconteurs 4 times with this policy .... you can go to an area and use your phone.  In Fenway I had a person who about 6’3” standing in front of me with his phone taping for 3/4 of the show blocking my view.  When asked nicely he laughed at me.  I had my 11 year old with me.  Thanks dude !! 

I say ban them !!  

Banning the phones wouldn't have stopped that guy from being 6'3" or from being a rude jackass.
    Agree, I think we should ban all people over 6 feet. Or at least give them all crap seats
    Whoa...whoa...whoa....I take great umbrage with your statement.  As a 6'5" concert goer, I have heard it all -- usually behind me -- 
    It actually kills me when I am in GA and people (by their own choice--they weren't forced to stand behind me) bitch about not being able to see.  I do feel sorry for the people who get jammed behind me in seats though...The worst will be the people at Oak1 this year.  I am taking my also 6'5" son...we are on the floor by the soundboard (so flat floor) in row 8....row 9 is going to be pissed.  If anyone wants to donate (or trade) two GA tickets to us that night, I can assure you that we will stand toward the back of GA...just throwing it out there.

Back to the thread at hand--CNN has an article today on the Yondr bag and how musicians and broadway shows are starting to utilize them.  Love it or hate it (full disclosure...I really like them) I think that this is going to only gain momentum...with more and more artists and/or venues making it a requirement.
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/06/tech/yondr-smartphone-ban/index.html

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,878
    edited June 2023
    Post edited by eeriepadave on
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,801
    JimmyV said:
    Phones were banned at Eddie's two shows in Clearwater and to be honest it took away from both evenings. I don't mind the phones and am able to tune them out pretty effectively. I was not able to tune out ushers and security guards swooping in repeatedly to threaten people who had their phones out. It really went overboard in my opinion.

Plus...I love shitty youtube videos. :D
    I can see one of two security guards taking this way too seriously and making the problem worse.  

I also enjoy shitty YouTube videos 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,197
    D-Rod said:
    JimmyV said:
    Phones were banned at Eddie's two shows in Clearwater and to be honest it took away from both evenings. I don't mind the phones and am able to tune them out pretty effectively. I was not able to tune out ushers and security guards swooping in repeatedly to threaten people who had their phones out. It really went overboard in my opinion.

Plus...I love shitty youtube videos. :D
    I can see one of two security guards taking this way too seriously and making the problem worse.  

what a dick.  charged with assault. i hope they nail that guy and punish him severely. said he thought it would be funny.  funny to hurt someone?  dudes got serious issues.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    edited June 2023
    pjhawks said:
    D-Rod said:
    JimmyV said:

Plus...I love shitty youtube videos. D

what a dick.  charged with assault. i hope they nail that guy and punish him severely. said he thought it would be funny.  funny to hurt someone?  dudes got serious issues.
    Just read that too. I thought it was someone pissed off someone else had their phone up blocking their view. Why the fuck would someone intentionally do that with a phone?
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,838
    D-Rod said:

Me too. 
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,506
    demetrios said:
    D-Rod said:

Me too. 
    Me as well, but it would be great if people didn't hold the cameras above their heads and block the views of everyone behind them. I saw the Pixies last week and when Where is My Mind started, I might as well have been listening to them on the radio because I sure couldn't see them.