Options

They're going to ban Smartphone use at shows

Comments

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,116
    Two fans are suing Madonna for showing up at 11.30 to perform at the Brooklyn Academy of Music.

What makes this suit interesting was that since Madonna implemented the phone confiscation policy, the fans were left unable to make alternative late night travel plans and changes to their child care the next day. They appear to have legitimate damages.

I started reading the article thinking it was absurd, but the phone confiscation made it very interesting.

• Options
    Two fans are suing Madonna for showing up at 11.30 to perform at the Brooklyn Academy of Music.

What makes this suit interesting was that since Madonna implemented the phone confiscation policy, the fans were left unable to make alternative late night travel plans and changes to their child care the next day. They appear to have legitimate damages.

I started reading the article thinking it was absurd, but the phone confiscation made it very interesting.

This is very interesting, actually. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,867

tschav said:
    Some background from Jack White on why he went the Yondr route:

"I don't care about the recording, I would think that actually is kind of cool, but what I don't like is the non-engagement. They're looking down and checking the sports scores and texting and stuff.

And then you can't clap, you can't clap back, and if you don't have a setlist, you need that, you need to engage with each other. I mean, it was just a period a few years ago where it was just starting to feel pointless to play live, there's just no engagement and no reaction."

More in the interview here:
    https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/jack_white_explains_main_reason_why_he_banned_use_of_phones_at_his_shows.html

But, without my phone, how can I live tweet the show, and let all of my followers know everything that's happening??

"Eddie just addressed the crowd, and said... Well, I'm not sure, I'll post it when I get the bootleg and can hear better."

It sounds like the Yonder bag is the way to go. You still have the phone with you, so if you happen to have an emergency, you can still use the phone. Yes, you have to leave your seat, but you'd have to anyway. The bag gets locked after entering, so mobile entry is not an option, and most venues should be able to print you a seating slip after scanning your phone. I disagree with confiscating phones, but if PJ decided to go with the bags, I don't think I would complain.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,767
    A smarter and more normal way for this to all work out (yet fundamentally unrealistic because, well humans) DO NOT fucking hold your phone up all show like a dim witted jackass that forgets there are many thousands of other people at the show.

The bigger the artist, event, the more goobers it seems to attract.

When I saw Mumford and Sons last March, I was not terribly astonished to find these people twirling around, filming themselves to post on facebook or instagram or wherever completely oblivious to the fact that they were not the show. 

I was actually shushing people like a bad stereotype of a librarian when the band was attempting to do their lo-fi unplugged in front of mic sets in the crowd.

But none of this is a surprise and was happening long before smartphones.  I had the same experience watching Ben Harper and the IC at Roseland in 1999.   Disinterested clods yapping and flapping their gums as if music wasn't happening.  

Snap some photos, hell even snag a video or three, I have done it.  But don't do it in a way that completely gets in anyone else's way.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    edited February 2020
    I hope

i got shitty video but great audio in cincy in 2014. Only shot one song tho.

==================
    So I went to a show recently... and was saddened by how many people spend their time trying to take pictures or video on their smartphone. Yet their success rate is close to zero.

It's usually the technologically challenged who are zooming way too far in and getting nothing but a blur.

What's the point?? Put down your phone and enjoy the show.

Your shitty video with horrendous audio really isn't worth me having to look around your stupid 8 inch screen.

Thoughts??
    I got shitty video but great audio 6 years ago but only shot one song.
    If nothing is everything, I'll have it all
  • Options
    PB11041 said:
    A smarter and more normal way for this to all work out (yet fundamentally unrealistic because, well humans) DO NOT fucking hold your phone up all show like a dim witted jackass that forgets there are many thousands of other people at the show.

The bigger the artist, event, the more goobers it seems to attract.

When I saw Mumford and Sons last March, I was not terribly astonished to find these people twirling around, filming themselves to post on facebook or instagram or wherever completely oblivious to the fact that they were not the show. 

I was actually shushing people like a bad stereotype of a librarian when the band was attempting to do their lo-fi unplugged in front of mic sets in the crowd.

But none of this is a surprise and was happening long before smartphones.  I had the same experience watching Ben Harper and the IC at Roseland in 1999.   Disinterested clods yapping and flapping their gums as if music wasn't happening.  

Snap some photos, hell even snag a video or three, I have done it.  But don't do it in a way that completely gets in anyone else's way.  

Tool's method has worked. They had security kick out a few fans with no second chances at the first few shows and word spread quickly. Do not even think of raising your phone during the show.

For the last song they allow phones so everyone can take all the pics they want.

Treat fans like adults and perhaps they will act like adults.
  • Options
    mkeen411mkeen411 Posts: 103
    I just saw Tool for the first time in Nashville and they have a strict “No photo or video” policy. They didn’t require you to lock your phone away but did threaten to throw you out if you were taking photos. The band then told the audience at the last song they could now take photos. Because of this I saw a very minimal use of cell phones during the show which was nice. 

I still don’t like the idea of a policy like this at a Pearl Jam show though. Maybe it’s because of the freedom they gave us to record bootlegs back in the day. 

I agree that I want everyone to put down their phones and be a part of the show. But I also want to be 25 again. I’ll deal with it and still enjoy the show. 
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,921
    I remain steadfastly against any ban on cellphones that encourages overzealous security guards to barrel into the seats looking to confiscate a phone in the middle of a show. Ed's 2012 shows in Clearwater, FL were ridiculous in this regard.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    I remain steadfastly against any ban on cellphones that encourages overzealous security guards to barrel into the seats looking to confiscate a phone in the middle of a show. Ed's 2012 shows in Clearwater, FL were ridiculous in this regard.
    Yeah that's not what you want. But the Jack White way worked well enough to me. They gave you a foam case when you entered that you locked your phone in, but you still keep it on in your pocket. There were designated areas to go to have it unlocked in case you really needed to use it, but otherwise, it stayed locked until you left the venue, and there were people at the door to unlock it for you on the way out. Overall, I liked it. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,474
    As a parent, i need my phone on me, and to feel the vibration if there is an emergency.

That said, I am constantly annoyed by the people texting, being on social media, etc.
    Enjoy the moment, live for now.

Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    El BobEl Bob Posts: 16
    I saw Tool in Louisville last fall, and the ushers there were very zealous about the cell phone policy.  I had my phone own texting my kid's good night before the show even started, and I got a warning and was told if they saw it again, I was gone.  A dude sitting next to me was taken out before the end of the show for having his out texting.  

I saw Tool in Nashville a couple of weeks ago, and while the announced the policy early, they didn't seem nearly as interested in enforcing it. I saw people with them up the whole show.  I guess enforcement will vary from arena to arena.
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    Yeah that's not what you want. But the Jack White way worked well enough to me. They gave you a foam case when you entered that you locked your phone in, but you still keep it on in your pocket. There were designated areas to go to have it unlocked in case you really needed to use it, but otherwise, it stayed locked until you left the venue, and there were people at the door to unlock it for you on the way out. Overall, I liked it. 
    Not just that, in emergency situations during the concert, you could go and get in unlocked in order to call home, post bail, whatever you needed to do and then go back in to the show. It was ideal.
  • Options
    JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    I can agree that it is annoying to see a sea of phones at concerts but I think its stupid to ban them. Artists should be more concerned about their own performance than who is on their phone. If they are going to take away phones, they should also be taking away alcohol. The people that drink and party at concerts are way more of an annoyance than people on their phones.
  • Options
    Which you said. Sorry, reading fail.
  • Options
    Tools policy is a little over the top.  There are a lot of people trying to video their show since there are no DVDs.   It I would prefer to take a few pictures early maybe then enjoy the show. Bit people videoing the whole shows then probably never watching it again because it is is crap....  I mean you lose the energy of the crowd with all the phone stuff.  Just me and maybe I am old.  But fuck all the phones up in my face against my will.
    91 - Ames Iowa CY Stephens Auditorium
    Lots Lots Lots of shows.....
    2018 - Seattle 2/Missoula
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,013
    JimmyV said:
    Did that not create lines miles long and take forever to get out? Thats what I would foresee happening at a big show, taking 8 hours just to exit if you want your phone back. 

Either way I find it ironic that it seems bands either require phones to get in, or completely ban them now.
  • Options
    Throw one person out each month and word will spread. The  fall tour for Tool featured almost zero phone use until the last song. 

Regarding that Madona article, the artist, by  showing up hours late AND prohibiting phone use, is requiring fans with kids to miss a big portion of her show. Rescheduling transportation and child care takes time and it was necessitated by an artist that put inaccurate info on the ticket. That's on her and should be her responsibility. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    JimmyV said:
    Did that not create lines miles long and take forever to get out? Thats what I would foresee happening at a big show, taking 8 hours just to exit if you want your phone back. 

Either way I find it ironic that it seems bands either require phones to get in, or completely ban them now.
    No, it did not. For both JW solo and The Raconteurs here in DC, it was super easy and efficient. Bag it up when you go thru security on the way in. Lots and lots of folks at every exit to release your phone. Took a few extra seconds tops
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    JimmyV said:

Great question. It actually wasn’t bad at all. Mind you it wasn’t the biggest venue (Anthem in DC) but there were several workers at each exit with magnetic things that unlocked the phone. 

Good point on the no phones vs. you NEED a phone crap. I hate that PJ makes you use a phone (and charges $10 for a commemorative paper ticket if you want one). Not everyone in the world has a smartphone and it’s bullshit to require one to get into a concert. 

Metallica’s still the best. I saw them in late 2017: got my physical tickets in the mail well before the show, got a free copy of their latest album (already bought it, but it’s the thought that counts), and a free mp3 download of the show you were at! Truly a band of the people. Maybe just making up for the Napster thing, but still. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,013
    Free mp3 of your show would be sweet!
    What still bugs me is paying $50-60 for the vault vinyl and not getting the download, having to pay an extra if you want that. Pretty much all new vinyl I get comes with the free download.
  • Options
    Drunks are more of an annoyance than phones for me. At one show the guy next to me was so drunk he pissed his pants, had to stand in piss during the show, plus the douche kept trying to give me a hug. Then another show the asshat next to me kept bumping into me, screaming in my face. Screaming didn't bother me as much as the bumping and shoving. The section we were in had steep steps and he almost knocked me down the stairs. 
    Washington, D.C. 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA 2006
    State College, PA 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA 2003
  • Options
    That's a good point. We should be able to put the drunks in a protective case as well.
  • Options
    DoDaFooDoDaFoo Seattle, WA Posts: 238
    Just to add on to what's already been said, I loved Jack White's policy. It felt like being at a concert in the 90s again. No watching the show through the 50 people taking pics/videos in front of you, no heads down staring at phones, people conversing between bands instead of posting on social media, etc. It was a wonderful experience.
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,922
    mace1229 said:
    JimmyV said:

Great question. It actually wasn’t bad at all. Mind you it wasn’t the biggest venue (Anthem in DC) but there were several workers at each exit with magnetic things that unlocked the phone. 

Good point on the no phones vs. you NEED a phone crap. I hate that PJ makes you use a phone (and charges $10 for a commemorative paper ticket if you want one). Not everyone in the world has a smartphone and it’s bullshit to require one to get into a concert. 

Metallica’s still the best. I saw them in late 2017: got my physical tickets in the mail well before the show, got a free copy of their latest album (already bought it, but it’s the thought that counts), and a free mp3 download of the show you were at! Truly a band of the people. Maybe just making up for the Napster thing, but still. 
    I completely, 100% agree that needing a smart phone is ridiculous. I understand that it cuts back on scalping and that's great, but believe it or not, not everybody has a smart phone. I have more than few friends who never moved on from flip phones.

But I think it's even more ridiculous to try and take away phones from people at a show.  You just can't do that. There's parents that need to be available for kids and other emergencies that could come up.  My wife has a hard enough time leaving our kids overnight, 6+ hours away (even when they are with her mother).  If they tried to take her phone she would laugh in their face and leave.  Stern warnings and signs in the venue should be sufficient.  And if you are caught doing anything more than checking for a notification, then kick them out.  
  • Options
    melkormelkor Posts: 35
    The foam cases are the best thing to happen for concerts since speakers.
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,165
    DoDaFoo said:
    Just to add on to what's already been said, I loved Jack White's policy. It felt like being at a concert in the 90s again. No watching the show through the 50 people taking pics/videos in front of you, no heads down staring at phones, people conversing between bands instead of posting on social media, etc. It was a wonderful experience.
    Who are you to decide what's a wonderful experience for someone else though? Maybe they like texting and sharing the experience with a friend who wasn't able to go to the show. Does that affect your enjoyment in any way? It's all about common courtesy. Think about how what you're doing is affecting those around you. I'll take a picture or video at times, but not too often and I try to keep it down so it doesn't block anyone's view more than my head would and certainly don't hold it up for a whole song.

• Options
     No cell phones at recent Raconteurs show and wouldn’t you know it I ended with a great photo of my self right at the stage. Bottom left between jack Lawrence and spare guitars. Won lottery for early entrance and had a blast talking to other fans that didn’t have their phones in hand.  (As I type this from my cell phone lol)
  • Options
    DoDaFooDoDaFoo Seattle, WA Posts: 238
    mattcoz said:
    DoDaFoo said:
    Who are you to decide what's a wonderful experience for someone else though? Maybe they like texting and sharing the experience with a friend who wasn't able to go to the show. Does that affect your enjoyment in any way? It's all about common courtesy. Think about how what you're doing is affecting those around you. I'll take a picture or video at times, but not too often and I try to keep it down so it doesn't block anyone's view more than my head would and certainly don't hold it up for a whole song.

It wasn’t my decision, it was Jack White’s and I am saying that I felt it was a tremendous success and added to my enjoyment of the concert.
  • Options
    They should ban everything. Problem solved.
  • Options
    Need your smart-phone in order to scan the revolving bar-code.  Then after you scan the code to get in, security confiscates it...  nice.
    People need to live life, though and enjoy the experience.  Rather enjoy than worry about recording and production value.  When you watch the video, it just looks like the crappy videos on Youtube.  Enjoy the moment and then buy the bootleg.  What more do you need?  Don't block my view, there are others behind you.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river