Options

They're going to ban Smartphone use at shows

Comments

• Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,160
    DoDaFoo said:
    mattcoz said:
    DoDaFoo said:
    Just to add on to what's already been said, I loved Jack White's policy. It felt like being at a concert in the 90s again. No watching the show through the 50 people taking pics/videos in front of you, no heads down staring at phones, people conversing between bands instead of posting on social media, etc. It was a wonderful experience.
    Who are you to decide what's a wonderful experience for someone else though? Maybe they like texting and sharing the experience with a friend who wasn't able to go to the show. Does that affect your enjoyment in any way? It's all about common courtesy. Think about how what you're doing is affecting those around you. I'll take a picture or video at times, but not too often and I try to keep it down so it doesn't block anyone's view more than my head would and certainly don't hold it up for a whole song.

It wasn’t my decision, it was Jack White’s and I am saying that I felt it was a tremendous success and added to my enjoyment of the concert.

But you were supporting it. You can decide for yourself to not look down at your phone, not to post on social media, and to converse with other fans without forcing other fans to not be able to do what they want.
  • Options
    DoDaFooDoDaFoo Seattle, WA Posts: 238
    Yes, I am supporting Jack White’s decision as an artist to hold cell phone free shows. They made everyone aware this would be the case when they sold tickets, so you went into the show knowing your cell phone would be locked in a case. If the artist wants to place that restriction and you buy tickets knowing it, you’re agreeing to abide by it. I was simply sharing that it created a wonderful atmosphere at the show and made it more enjoyable. You don’t think it sounds like your thing, don’t go to a Jack White show. Pearl Jam isn’t doing something like this anytime soon, so don’t worry about it.
  • Options
    LYackyLYacky 🇨🇦 Posts: 72
    I've been going to concerts since the very early 90's so I've been on both sides of the fence as far as cellphones at concerts go. Yes it was magical & wonderful to attend concerts & music festivals back in the day before the advent of smartphones. However, I also think it's pretty freakin awesome to have the ability to record some of your concert experience nowadays to watch & relive again down the road. When I think back on some of the epic concerts I attended back in the 90's and early 00's I really do wish I could've captured some of it on video. I think there's a fine line between living in the moment and yet also capturing some of that concert magic on video with your smartphone. I'm not talking about standing there like a zombie and recording the whole damn concert but maybe a few fav songs and some fun random shots of your friend standing next to you rocking away and looking quite comical. lol As long as you're being respectful of the people around you it shouldn't be an issue. For example I never hold my phone above my head. If I can't capture the video at eye level I don't even bother. At the end of the day I enjoy watching all the footage I've accumulated over the last 12yrs at concerts and reliving some of the music and some of the magic of that live performance over & over again. I hope to capture some of that magic in March when I see PJ for the very first time. Don't worry tho, I promise to be respectful with my phone and I won't record the entire concert, just a few of my all time favs. 😉 
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    DoDaFoo said:
    Yes, I am supporting Jack White’s decision as an artist to hold cell phone free shows. They made everyone aware this would be the case when they sold tickets, so you went into the show knowing your cell phone would be locked in a case. If the artist wants to place that restriction and you buy tickets knowing it, you’re agreeing to abide by it. I was simply sharing that it created a wonderful atmosphere at the show and made it more enjoyable. You don’t think it sounds like your thing, don’t go to a Jack White show. Pearl Jam isn’t doing something like this anytime soon, so don’t worry about it.
    I saw Jack White in Milwaukee on his last tour. I didn't mind the cell phone free thing. Now, I did drag my wife to the show, and I think the lack of a cell phone probably made the whole ordeal a little more boring for her. Particularly the couple hours from when they let us in the building until the show started. But she played the good soldier and didn't complain.
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 898
    They should ban everything. Problem solved.
    Especially bathroom usage 
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,498
    It is not just concerts anymore. I go to a local dirt track and fans stand up to film the race with a cell phone or Ipad. 
  • Options
    LostpawnLostpawn Posts: 414
    It is not just concerts anymore. I go to a local dirt track and fans stand up to film the race with a cell phone or Ipad. 
    Filming with an iPad... ugh... that’s just wrong. Unnatural. 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    DoDaFoo said:

I revived this topic because Madonna had a phone ban AND showed up 3 hours late.

This caused parents there to leave the arena to make sure they had adequate child care coverage.

As long as artists like Madonna and Jack White are willing to reimburse fans in this situation and also ban fans talking over the music, then maybe this is an idea worth considering
  • Options
    a drunk invading my space bothers me far more than anyone's cell phone
    6-16-03 St Paul
    6-26-06 St Paul
    6-27-06 St Paul
    7-2-011 EV MPLS
    9-3-011 Alpine
    9-4-011 Alpine
    9-22-012 Atlanta
    7-19-013 Wrigley
    10-9-014 Lincoln
    10-14-014 Memphis
    10-17-014 Moline
    10-19-014 St Paul
    10-22-014 Denver
    9-26-015 New York City
    8-20-016 Wrigley
    8-22-016 Wrigley
    8-13-018 Missoula
    8-18-018 Wrigley
    8-20-018 Wrigley 
    9-18-022 St. Louis
  • Options
    This. Tool had a cell phone ban at a show last week. The super stoned guy who was ALSO double-fisting beers and kept falling into me every few minutes was far more annoying than any phones would have been. 

Also, please consider shortening your signature. It's kinda overlong to be just a list of your shows. Cheers :) 
    Memphis '94 / Charlotte '96 / Birmingham '98 / Knoxville '98 / Memphis '00 / Nashville '00 / Nashville '03 / St. Louis '04 / Nashville Ryman N1 '09 (EV solo) / Nashville Ryman N2 '09 (EV solo) / Memphis '09 (EV solo) / New Orleans Jazzfest '10 / St Louis '10 / Memphis '12 (EV solo) / Memphis '14 / Boston Fenway N1 '16 / Boston Fenway N2 '16 / Chicago Wrigley N1 '18 / Chicago Wrigley N2 '18 /  Ottawa '22 / Quebec City '22 / Nashville '22 / St Louis '22

Strong 2nd Amendment supporter and advocate targeted methods of reducing gun violence, sans-infringement. 
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,913
    Live and let live. The obsession with how other people enjoy themselves at shows is a big part of this issue. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,819

Another reason why I don't do GA. Way too many drunks pushing and showing in the pit. Seeing a drunk trying to take photos or take videos is funny as hell though. 

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,538
    JimmyV said:
    Live and let live. The obsession with how other people enjoy themselves at shows is a big part of this issue. 
    What if everyone in the arena held their phones up and stood motionless the entire time?  Taking to an extreme but that would be a little weird.  The vibe of the crowd is one part of the live experience.

If they aren’t holding the phone in front of your view than I don’t see a big deal about it.  I personally think it is stupid to tape an entire show, but a few pictures if your phone can take quality photos and maybe video one song doesn’t seem bad.  If people are spending a lot of time watching the videos after the fact I think they need to get a life.  
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,234
    JimmyV said:
    "Live and let live" doesn't apply when the behavior in question has externalities.  This is why you can't smoke in an arena (by law), or talk on a cell phone in a movie theater (by common standards).  If your holding up a glowing screen in the eyeline of other people who are trying to enjoy the show who have no way to avoid seeing that glowing screen (or a sea of them), then it becomes an issue of courtesy and respect for others and not "live and let live."  My choice not to hold up a cell phone has no externalities; your choice to hold one up does.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    JimmyV said:
    "Live and let live" doesn't apply when the behavior in question has externalities.  This is why you can't smoke in an arena (by law), or talk on a cell phone in a movie theater (by common standards).  If your holding up a glowing screen in the eyeline of other people who are trying to enjoy the show who have no way to avoid seeing that glowing screen (or a sea of them), then it becomes an issue of courtesy and respect for others and not "live and let live."  My choice not to hold up a cell phone has no externalities; your choice to hold one up does.
    Banning all cell phones because a few impact your good time is an overreaction. All of this is an overreaction. Try tapping someone on the shoulder and asking them to lower their phone. Most people probably will. 

• Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    For context, I'm your 'old school' chap who plays vinyl through vintage tech and loves every second of it. 

I go to more shows than the average fellow, mostly rock.  I do mostly 'enjoy the show' as the OP suggested, but I also try to take some videos and photos. I don't entirely disagree with the OP in that some folks can get a bit outrageous with it and not put their phone down the entire show.  I'm tall, and I do try to get a good shot, but I'm respectful to the people around me in making sure that I'm not obstructing their view etc. 

I do this because I like watching the videos again and again afterwards. And if I'm being completely honest.. i WISH I had this technology for a lot of the shows I went to ten plus years ago. 

Suggesting that it should be banned seems foolish.  And if you've ever looked at a photo of a live concert and enjoyed it. If you've ever listened to a live performance that you were not at and you enjoyed it. If you ever watched a clip on social media or youtube of a band or performance that you were not at and you enjoyed it. And if you've ever partaken in watching those cool 'live' things that people do at shows and enjoyed it. If you've enjoyed any of those things, you cannot have an opinion that this should be banned, else you become a hypocrite. 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    Lostpawn said:
    Filming with an iPad... ugh... that’s just wrong. Unnatural. 
    Last show I went to the person in front of me recorded the entire time on an iPad. She watched an entire live show through a screen. Pretty sad. 
  • Options
    LYackyLYacky 🇨🇦 Posts: 72
    JimmyV said:
    If people are spending a lot of time watching the videos after the fact I think they need to get a life.  
    That's pretty harsh and judgemental. I enjoy watching the video I capture at concerts but I also "have a life". Also how is watching your own videos any different from spending time on YouTube watching PJ (or any other band) concert footage other people have posted? Whether it's professionally shot footage or not it all amounts to the same thing. 🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    1upstate1upstate near Syracuse NY Posts: 201
    look, as long as you're not that ass,in the front rows, with a phone over your head blocking others I'm fine. But I've seen people on rail, face timing, taking videos and other pictures with their arms extended, as high as can be and that's just rude , nonsense, And I see it, all the time. 

I've seen phones knocked out of the filmer's hands , one actually thrown on the stage, that got ugly. 

Can't we just get along
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine"
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,146
    Generally I think it's ok for someone to film something short, or snap a few pics.  It gets super annoying if someone lifts the phone as high as they can and holds it there for an extended period of time.   You end up blocking/ruining the experience for the people behind you.

I'm hypocritical though.  As much as I had people filming that long, I also enjoy those fan made concert videos that sometimes use phone footage to complete the show.... 
  • Options
    Taking videos with a phone is not the same as taking videos with a DSLR
    If people don't watch youtube live clips of PJ they are not true fans...
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    What annoys me exponentially more than phones are flags and signs people hold up. I don’t care that you came from Spain or that you really need to hear Bugs, keep that at home
  • Options
    Willis1872Willis1872 Scotland/North Carolina Posts: 8
    What other people do at shows doesnt bother me, if they want to film without getting in my way that's fine. I get why Eddie solo shows are different, and if PJ were playing smaller venues making it feel more personal I'd understand that. I'd certainly prefer if people dodnt film, its piintless shit quality videos and audio you'll rarely ever watch again. But the logistics of banning phones or using these special cases that I've seen Dave Chappelle uses for something the size of a PJ show would be insane. I mean I dont like people holding their phones up either, but I'd rather that than spend an extra hour in line while they put everyones phone into some special case to stop them using it while every 3rd person wants to argue about it, it would be a fucking nightmare.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,819
    mace1229 said:
    What annoys me exponentially more than phones are flags and signs people hold up. I don’t care that you came from Spain or that you really need to hear Bugs, keep that at home

Me too. Once or twice the whole show, I would let it slide. 

But 3 songs in & their flag / sign is up more then 10 times?!?

• Options
    TinaETinaE Germany Posts: 1,264
    edited February 2020
    Post edited by TinaE on
    Berlin 07/05/2018; Berlin 06/21/2022; Frankfurt 06/28/2022
    Eddie Vedder Düsseldorf 06/30/2019
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."
  • Options
    TinaETinaE Germany Posts: 1,264
    Geben Sie Ihren Kommentar einmace1229 said:

I agree! I also like to record a video or two, but not the whole concert and try to be considerate of others .... I also respect when the use of smartphones is not allowed. Then you just leave your smartphone out!
    Berlin 07/05/2018; Berlin 06/21/2022; Frankfurt 06/28/2022
    Eddie Vedder Düsseldorf 06/30/2019
    "The future ain't what it used to be..."
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    LYacky said:
    I've been going to concerts since the very early 90's so I've been on both sides of the fence as far as cellphones at concerts go. Yes it was magical & wonderful to attend concerts & music festivals back in the day before the advent of smartphones. However, I also think it's pretty freakin awesome to have the ability to record some of your concert experience nowadays to watch & relive again down the road. When I think back on some of the epic concerts I attended back in the 90's and early 00's I really do wish I could've captured some of it on video. I think there's a fine line between living in the moment and yet also capturing some of that concert magic on video with your smartphone. I'm not talking about standing there like a zombie and recording the whole damn concert but maybe a few fav songs and some fun random shots of your friend standing next to you rocking away and looking quite comical. lol As long as you're being respectful of the people around you it shouldn't be an issue. For example I never hold my phone above my head. If I can't capture the video at eye level I don't even bother. At the end of the day I enjoy watching all the footage I've accumulated over the last 12yrs at concerts and reliving some of the music and some of the magic of that live performance over & over again. I hope to capture some of that magic in March when I see PJ for the very first time. Don't worry tho, I promise to be respectful with my phone and I won't record the entire concert, just a few of my all time favs. 😉 
    +1
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    stickmanstickman Posts: 1,008
    edited February 2020
    Ummm ... I have seen Jack White and The Raconteurs 4 times with this policy, never had an issue , I hold my phone in the bad the whole time,  and it is a magnet that you easily slide the case over to open it .... you can go to a designated area and use your phone if need be.  

In Fenway I had a person who Was about 6’3” standing in front of me with his phone taping for 3/4 of the show blocking my view.  When asked nicely, he laughed at me.  I had my 11 year old with me.  Thanks dude !! 

I say ban them !!  
    Post edited by stickman on
  • Options
    stickman said:
    Ummm ... I have seen Jack White and The Raconteurs 4 times with this policy .... you can go to an area and use your phone.  In Fenway I had a person who about 6’3” standing in front of me with his phone taping for 3/4 of the show blocking my view.  When asked nicely he laughed at me.  I had my 11 year old with me.  Thanks dude !! 

I say ban them !!  

Banning the phones wouldn't have stopped that guy from being 6'3" or from being a rude jackass.

• Options
    stickmanstickman Posts: 1,008
    And anyone who says they are “respectful” about their taping ... get over yourself .... it is just rude and annoying for everyone around you.  So please don’t clear your conscious thinking your doing it respectfully because I will say again your being completely disrespectful !!  I don’t need your cell phone camera in my view.