The Democratic Candidates

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

We do appreciate that you aren't critical of the US (and Canada) for saving your country.  That's big of you.  
    Well ofc. I am able to be objective. 

That is one of the perks of not being raised in a country with an alarming amount of spoon-feeding of nationalism and singing the national anthem 15-16 times a day. :P 

(And for some perspective, the US didn't join the war for over two years before they themselves were attacked)

A lot of people died with the US being neutral for those two years. A shame.
    This is pretty dumb.  
    The entire conversation is.
    So long as he feels compelled to make one statement that he thinks encompasses 300 million people,  I'm going to do the same.  The ignorance is astounding to me and I won't sitand not write back.  We've been through it 5 different times at least. 
    Oh, the irony 
    Find a statement that I've made, unprovoked by your ass, that is USA#1, rah rah.  You won't find it.  We'll go through this cycle again next time you make a similarly disparaging statement for no reason.  Unfortunately I have to keep going back to WW2 because Sweden is inconsequential post the Viking invasion of Wessex until then, and after.  
    Sweden may be a nice country to live, but the grass is not always greener on the other side.  So far SC has not said one thing that would make me want to live there...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

We do appreciate that you aren't critical of the US (and Canada) for saving your country.  That's big of you.  

That is one of the perks of not being raised in a country with an alarming amount of spoon-feeding of nationalism and singing the national anthem 15-16 times a day. :P 

(And for some perspective, the US didn't join the war for over two years before they themselves were attacked)

This is pretty dumb.  
    So long as he feels compelled to make one statement that he thinks encompasses 300 million people,  I'm going to do the same.  The ignorance is astounding to me and I won't sitand not write back.  We've been through it 5 different times at least. 
    Oh, the irony 
    Find a statement that I've made, unprovoked by your ass, that is USA#1, rah rah.  You won't find it.  We'll go through this cycle again next time you make a similarly disparaging statement for no reason.  Unfortunately I have to keep going back to WW2 because Sweden is inconsequential post the Viking invasion of Wessex until then, and after.  
    Sweden may be a nice country to live, but the grass is not always greener on the other side.  So far SC has not said one thing that would make me want to live there...
    Agreed. I d love to spend summers in Canada and winters in Hawaii.  Scandanavia would be nice to visit but I have no interest to live there. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    I agree. 

Why would there be any reason for a human being and their quality of life to live in the nordic countries over the US... Especially for women.

Can't think of any at all. 

https://youtu.be/wfCvLMX-SAc
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is pretty dumb.  
    Oh, the irony 
    Agreed. I d love to spend summers in Canada and winters in Hawaii.  Scandanavia would be nice to visit but I have no interest to live there. 
    Winter in Hawaii...that would fine with me.  I think mrrussel raised an excellent point...if people want to discuss ways to make the US better, then that would be debate-worthy...always slamming the US does no good.  And I have been guilty myself of slamming the US...but I am also the 1st person to point out the good qualities...and I do believe this, if the US States have not moved to legalize Cannabis, I'm not so sure Canada would have...so maybe the US is regressive in some areas, but they are progressives in other ways...I just wish Obama had removed it as a controlled substance...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is pretty dumb.  
    Oh, the irony 
    Winter in Hawaii...that would fine with me.  I think mrrussel raised an excellent point...if people want to discuss ways to make the US better, then that would be debate-worthy...always slamming the US does no good.  And I have been guilty myself of slamming the US...but I am also the 1st person to point out the good qualities...and I do believe this, if the US States have not moved to legalize Cannabis, I'm not so sure Canada would have...so maybe the US is regressive in some areas, but they are progressives in other ways...I just wish Obama had removed it as a controlled substance...
    I don’t think there’s any link between US state legalization of cannabis and Canadian legalization. Trudeau has wanted to legalize cannabis for many years and was talking about it before he started his leadership campaign. I think Canada has been ready for legalization for quite a while. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is pretty dumb.  
    Oh, the irony 
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is pretty dumb.  
    Oh, the irony 
    Agree with you 100%.  Discuss the problems but don't bash.  
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is pretty dumb.  
    Oh, the irony 
    Winter in Hawaii...that would fine with me.  
    https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/05/hawaii-warns-tourists-of-parasitic-worm-that-can-burrow-into-human-brains/
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is pretty dumb.  
    Oh, the irony 
    Winter in Hawaii...that would fine with me.  
    https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/05/hawaii-warns-tourists-of-parasitic-worm-that-can-burrow-into-human-brains/
    If you look for the dark side of a situation or nation, you will find it every time - no matter where you’re looking for it.

I hope you don’t live your personal life this way too; I’ve been through depression and worn that lens and it isn’t a healthy place for a person. In all seriousness, while I don’t like the way you negatively affect many good discussions on here with deflections and arrogant remarks, I do hope you’re okay. If you aren’t, you are welcome to PM me. We should all be willing to help each other.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited June 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is pretty dumb.  
    Oh, the irony 
    There is no way I'd choose Sweden over Canada, but I'd way rather live in Sweden than in the USA. Women are under attack in the States, it is run by a fascist at the moment, and there is a gun violence crisis, its education system is declining, Christianity is far too dominant, its healthcare system is a human rights violation, and it has huge problems with racism. Yes, there are good things too (i do like how accessible goods and entertainment are there especially), but nothing can override those negatives I just listed if I'm thinking about where I actually want to live.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is pretty dumb.  
    Oh, the irony 
    There is no way I'd choose Sweden over Canada, but I'd way rather live in Sweden than in the USA. Women are under attack in the States, it is run by a fascist at the moment, and there is a gun violence crisis, its education system is declining, Christianity is far too dominant, its healthcare system is a human rights violation, and it has huge problems with racism. Yes, there are good things too (i do like how accessible goods and entertainment are there especially), but nothing can override those negatives I just listed if I'm thinking about where I actually want to live.

Yeah, I absolutely feel the same way. Plus Sweden and the other nordic countries in general have a much more relaxed pace of life, with far more holiday time, shorter work weeks, and awesome benefits. 
    What makes you think the us education system is failing? If anything at least around here it is better than ever. (New Jersey is ranked either 1 or 2 in the us)
    and remember, standardized tests are just a snapshot off the students year. 
    edited June 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    What makes you think the us education system is failing? If anything at least around here it is better than ever. (New Jersey is ranked either 1 or 2 in the us)
    I am beginning to think if someone says something positive about the US others will go out of there way to also disparage the US...anyways...Arizona would be my winter home if I could afford it.  Sedona to be specific.  And Canada would remain my permanent home.

Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is pretty dumb.  
    Oh, the irony 

Yeah, I absolutely feel the same way. Plus Sweden and the other nordic countries in general have a much more relaxed pace of life, with far more holiday time, shorter work weeks, and awesome benefits. 
    STOP IT YOU COMMIE!

Both parents are by law allowed to stay home with pay after their child is born - BUT WHEN DID THEY EVER WIN A WAR?!
    mcgruff10 said:
    Performance of one state isn’t the same as performance of the country’s system, of course.

But since you asked, and at the risk of being slammed again,..... the US has some areas where it does well internationally in terms of education, but it has lower access to quality pre-K education, lower rates of high school graduation, and lower rates of college completion than most other comparator countries, plus doing only middle of the pack in the international testing in Math, Science, and Reading.  
    mcgruff10 said:
    What makes you think the us education system is failing? 
    I take it is available for any person, regardless of economic means, to go to a College/University without any cost then?

Otherwise, I say that is a large scale failure for (your) society. And keeps the class system rigid and strong.

And that MARVELOUS bridge takes us back on topic because --- Bernie would agree. 

BERNIE SANDERS

"Turning the US into an average, normal, decent, sane country that doesn't treat its people like kettle being forced through a predatory and corrupt capitalistic system, one step at a time." 
    ANY BERNIE FANS IN DA HOUSE?!
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is pretty dumb.  
    Oh, the irony 
    There is no way I'd choose Sweden over Canada, 
    Well. You have that concert hall in Vancouver where you won't even see Neil Young (!) and Sweden has the national arena "Friends Arena" where Eddie had to make excuses from the stage about how they "did all they could to make the sound OK, but they have heard about the problems regarding the sound in the arena".

It's a coin toss. :P
    mcgruff10 said:
    Performance of one state isn’t the same as performance of the country’s system, of course.

But since you asked, and at the risk of being slammed again,..... the US has some areas where it does well internationally in terms of education, but it has lower access to quality pre-K education, lower rates of high school graduation, and lower rates of college completion than most other comparator countries, plus doing only middle of the pack in the international testing in Math, Science, and Reading.  
    You guys have full day public pre-k education in the great white north?  Some districts have it, others do not (at least in nj).  We have it where I live and my son has done really well because of it.  Kindergarten will be a breeze.

PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is pretty dumb.  
    Oh, the irony 
    Well. You have that concert hall in Vancouver where you won't even see Neil Young (!) and Sweden has the national arena "Friends Arena" where Eddie had to make excuses from the stage about how they "did all they could to make the sound OK, but they have heard about the problems regarding the sound in the arena".

I’m comfortable not seeing Neil anywhere near me. 

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    he's a Russian plany meant to disrupt.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    mcgruff10 said:
    I am beginning to think if someone says something positive about the US others will go out of there way to also disparage the US...anyways...Arizona would be my winter home if I could afford it.  Sedona to be specific.  And Canada would remain my permanent home.

Went to Sedona last year after a conference and holy crap was it ever beautiful!
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is pretty dumb.  
    Oh, the irony 

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Bernie's non-progressive values annoy the shit out of me.  
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is pretty dumb.  
    Oh, the irony 

STOP IT YOU COMMIE!

Both parents are by law allowed to stay home with pay after their child is born - BUT WHEN DID THEY EVER WIN A WAR?!
    Reminder, they didn't.  It's all coattails for them. 
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

You guys have full day public pre-k education in the great white north?  Some districts have it, others do not (at least in nj).  We have it where I live and my son has done really well because of it.  Kindergarten will be a breeze.

We do as well here in Virginia.  Our schools are excellent, the government is moderate and with a one term executive branch, they are focused on getting a job done rather than being re-elected.  People in other countries may not understand how vastly different it is to live in one state vs another.  It's a completely different experience.  I've lived in Ohio, Florida, DC and Virginia and they have all been so unique.  
    benjs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Went to Sedona last year after a conference and holy crap was it ever beautiful!
    Yeah I absolutely loved it there!!! I d love to head back there soon.  
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is pretty dumb.  
    Oh, the irony 

Agree. Neil is awful. 
    edited June 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

This is pretty dumb.  
    Oh, the irony 

STOP IT YOU COMMIE!

Again this varies by state. In New Jersey we get six weeks paid maternity/paternity leave. I ended up with around $3600 from the state. (Not full pay but it was something). My wife got the same plus what she got from Aflac and used sick time. 

mrussel1 said:
    Bernie's non-progressive values annoy the shit out of me.  
    In the US,  it would impossible for his ideas not to be considered progress.

• rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    what about the Swedish meatballs?  
This discussion has been closed.