Options

The Democratic Candidates

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,090
    The ones who don't wanna go with the spanish accent are forced to say "father" and "child" while the others say Oscar and Valeria. 

Haha.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    "private prisons" 

What the fuck is the US doing. Roleplaying a sci-fi dystopian thriller?

Save this middle-of-the-pack nation with some sweet-sweet humanity and common sense Sanders*.

*or Elizabeth
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    To me... it feels weird when everyone feel the need to pronounce Oscar and Valerias name with an Spanish accent. Even the guy asking questions did it. 

NOW BOOKER GOES INTO SPANISH TOO! What the hell. Hoping Warren does it too.
    I thought I was watching Univision.  Lol
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    In Sweden we don't have gun-laws topics in our debates.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    On Guns.

Warren: But we can also double down on the research, to find out what really works.

Eh... or just snapchat your colleges in Europe or Australia and ask...

The rest of the world exists.
  • Options
    Booker keeps coming back to his neighborhood. 

"I'm one of you people! This is personal to me"

Wonder if that tactic works.
  • Options
    Tim Ryan comes off as a nice compassionate  teacher who won't hit on you as soon as you finish high school.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    STOP NAMEDROPPING "FELLOW AMERICANS" BETO

"I met with Marcie, and Stephen, working in a small shoe store on the corner of Madison and 5th. They, Marcie and Stephen, in their shoe store with sales on sneakers from Nike, Reebok and Adidas this week. I talked top them, Marcie and Stephen, and they told me..."
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    You don't need a license whatsoever to own a gun in the US?
  • Options
    Inslees rasp is A+
  • Options
    Should the US intervene in the world?

Beto and others: Yes.

Why not just answer - The UN and world community should in agreement, with the US as a participant in that.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    I was listening to Malcolm Gladwell's podcast (Revisionist History) and the latest season's started out with a discussion about things in life that reward quick, stress-induced, and complex thinking (like writing the LSATs), versus things in life that reward taking your time to establish complex thinking (like playing a game of traditional chess).

To me, this lightning round, 45 seconds to distill how you're going to solve climate change while 9 other people try to interrupt you kind of event - is a circus. I might have a little bit more gut feel about who seems authentic, maybe learn one or two unexpected positions, but overall you can't reach the depth you need with the time allotted. I wish one of the candidates would say "fuck this", and modernize with an ask me anything with a live stream on YouTube, or something like that.  Why do we have to use the dinky few minutes per candidate that NBC allocates, when this thing called the internet permits easy broadcasting and open forums for discussions? We should stop relying on the traditional media as the main way to communicate when there's so much more to offer now.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs said:
    I was listening to Malcolm Gladwell's podcast (Revisionist History) and the latest season's started out with a discussion about things in life that reward quick, stress-induced, and complex thinking (like writing the LSATs), versus things in life that reward taking your time to establish complex thinking (like playing a game of traditional chess).

To me, this lightning round, 45 seconds to distill how you're going to solve climate change while 9 other people try to interrupt you kind of event - is a circus. I might have a little bit more gut feel about who seems authentic, maybe learn one or two unexpected positions, but overall you can't reach the depth you need with the time allotted. I wish one of the candidates would say "fuck this", and modernize with an ask me anything with a live stream on YouTube, or something like that.  Why do we have to use the dinky few minutes per candidate that NBC allocates, when this thing called the internet permits easy broadcasting and open forums for discussions? We should stop relying on the traditional media as the main way to communicate when there's so much more to offer now.
    I read that Bernie is gonna be on twitch though?
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    Winners: 

Castro
    Inslee
    Warren

Maybe Gabbard
    Maybe Booker

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    benjs said:

I read that Bernie is gonna be on twitch though?
    Seems you're correct - glad to see someone stepping into the modern world. Hopefully the rest will follow suit.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,636
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,804
    Winners:
    • Warren (of course I am, she put her message out there for those to hear it and she didn't waver. Didn't kill, but got her message across effectively)
    • Castro (Tentatively, I want this as the Prez/VP ticket - I am more and more impressed with him the more I hear from him)
    • deBlasio (hate to say it, but he got people fired up, even though to me it came off as fake outrage)

Middling:
    • Klobuchar (for owning Inslee on abortion, that was sweet)
    Inless (meh, he was fine)

Losers:
    • Tim Ryan (big time GTFO, random white dude)
    • John DeLaney (Also GTFO other white dude)
    • Big time Beto (thank god)
    • Gabbard
    • Booker (I guess people liked him more than I did, but I loved this "oh shit you just robbed my Spanish routine":)

If there was a rule to cut out at least 4-5 of the 10 from last night right now I'm cutting:
    Ryan 
    Delaney
    Beto
    Gabbard

• Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Winner:Delaney
                Castro

Loser: Beto

Middle: Everyone else

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    Out of that huge pool of candidates, I think Jay Inslee would give the Dems their best best shot. But he probably won't last too long.

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    edited June 2019
    AMY FOR AMERICA!

She came off as the most sensible candidate last night. I wish she had more of a chance. And I wish about 5 of those guys were not even on the stage. 

Why didn't they pick the top polling candidates in the polls to have them all go at each other? Wouldn't it have been more productive to have Biden, Pete, Kamela and Sanders on the same state as Warren, Booker, Beto, and Amy?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,213
    Winners:
    • Warren (of course I am, she put her message out there for those to hear it and she didn't waver. Didn't kill, but got her message across effectively)
    • Castro (Tentatively, I want this as the Prez/VP ticket - I am more and more impressed with him the more I hear from him)
    • deBlasio (hate to say it, but he got people fired up, even though to me it came off as fake outrage)

Middling:
    • Klobuchar (for owning Inslee on abortion, that was sweet)
    Inless (meh, he was fine)

Losers:
    • Tim Ryan (big time GTFO, random white dude)
    • John DeLaney (Also GTFO other white dude)
    • Big time Beto (thank god)
    • Gabbard
    • Booker (I guess people liked him more than I did, but I loved this "oh shit you just robbed my Spanish routine":)

If there was a rule to cut out at least 4-5 of the 10 from last night right now I'm cutting:
    Ryan 
    Delaney
    Beto
    Gabbard

I didn't get a chance to watch last night but I saw Castro on Bill Maher about a month ago and came away very impressed with him.  
  • Options
    Castro seems like a great dude. But I see a risk with him Marcio Rubio himself if he gets into a debate with Trump. 

But will be interesting to see him in forthcoming debates/interviews.
  • Options
    Gonna have a Bob Dylan preparty with debate#2 tomorrow! Will be great. 

He premiered "Can't Wait" on this tour yesterday.
  • Options
    AMY FOR AMERICA!

She came off as the most sensible candidate last night. I wish she had more of a chance. And I wish about 5 of those guys were not even on the stage. 

Why didn't they pick the top polling candidates in the polls to have them all go at each other? Wouldn't it have been more productive to have Biden, Pete, Kamela and Sanders on the same state as Warren, Booker, Beto, and Amy?
    They drew the lineup for both nights at random....and you end up with this. Good part is the funding requirements doubles for the September debate so we should lose close to half the field......hopefully.

I like Klobuchar a little bit, somewhat pragmatic.

Really liked the format last night, too. The moderators held them to the question posed, or at least in the beginning it was this way. Also, I liked that they left some room for some back-and-forth.

If I'm ranking my personal preference it's:
    1) Warren by a mile
    2) Castro 
    3) Harris
    4) Klobuchar
    5) Yang
    6)  Buttigieg
    7) Sanders
    8) Inslee
    9) Biden
    10) Gillibrand 
    That's more than enough ranking
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    I didn't get a chance to watch last night but I saw Castro on Bill Maher about a month ago and came away very impressed with him.  
    Yeah, my thing is affordable housing, or housing in general, is real problem and his views and answers on these issues are refreshing and well thought out. I mean given he ran HUD and isn't the fucking dunce who's in there now.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    pjhawks said:
    Yeah, my thing is affordable housing, or housing in general, is real problem and his views and answers on these issues are refreshing and well thought out. I mean given he ran HUD and isn't the fucking dunce who's in there now.
    That is who gets my vote
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Klobuchar's energy reminds me of Rosa Klebb
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Was the debate a group of circular firing squad of dumbasses last night? Didn't watch but I've heard good things.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    Was the debate a group of circular firing squad of dumbasses last night? Didn't watch but I've heard good things.
    No. More a straight line of blandness. 
This discussion has been closed.