Abortion-Keep Legal, Yes or No?

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJ_Soul said:
    Jesus. :angry:

After shouting match breaks out, Alabama Senate reverses course and tables controversial abortion vote

After a fight broke out, the Alabama Senate on Thursday voted to table a controversial bill to criminalize abortions by making preforming the procedure a felony punishable by up to 99 years imprisonment.

The bill, which appeared to pass by a vote of 23 to 6, was then tabled. Democrats shouted demands for a roll-call vote.

The vote was then tabled until next week. The bill would be the most restrictive in the country and would impose what is in effect a near-total abortion ban.

Alabama is among more than two dozen states which have sought to impose new restrictions on abortion this year. Georgia on Tuesday became the sixth state to impose a ban on abortions after the sixth week of pregnancy.

Alabama Rep. Terri Collins, who sponsored the bill, said its purpose is to spark litigation that would force the conservative majority on the U.S. Supreme Court to reconsider Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 decision that guarantees a woman’s right to abortion.

Under the Alabama legislation, doctors will not be able to give abortions once a fetus is “in utero.”

The version that passed in the statehouse only allowed for a single exception — in cases involving a serious health risk “to the unborn child’s mother.” An amendment added in the Senate would also provide for exceptions in the case of rape or incest. That amendment was the subject of fierce debate on Thursday.

Gov. Kay Ivey, who has described herself as “pro-life,” is expected to sign the bill into law as soon as this week, although she has declined to comment directly on the legislation until it was finalized.

This, too, is just plain wrong. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    sweet home alabama indeed. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    sweet home alabama indeed. 
    Backwards hillbilly bullshite
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,813
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    More ignorant assbackwards hillbilly bullshit.....

Row v Wade is as good as done.  Men will regain control of their host bodies.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,478
    More ignorant assbackwards hillbilly bullshit.....

Embarrassing and depressing.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    The people who voted for it?  When their daughters get pregnant out of wed-lock, they’ll be sneaking them out of the country.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    OnWis97 said:
    The people who voted for it?  When their daughters get pregnant out of wed-lock, they’ll be sneaking them out of the country.
    no, its an attempt to counter the brown invasion.  gotta get gop voters from somewhere. poor stupid white people continue to vote against interest. so this helps make more of them.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    OnWis97 said:
    or their mistress.

America is going fucking backwards
    mickeyrat said:
    OnWis97 said:
    no, its an attempt to counter the brown invasion.  gotta get gop voters from somewhere. poor stupid white people continue to vote against interest. so this helps make more of them.
    I get that.  But many people are anti-choice until an abortion would help them.  Those with the means will work around the bill they supported.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    All the females should move out of the state...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    wow, doug ford did something that indicates he may have a brain after all:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/oosterhoff-abortion-1.5129494
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

Semi-correct. He should have denounced the comments, but I'm glad to see that he's ruled out opening the issue. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

Semi-correct. He should have denounced the comments, but I'm glad to see that he's ruled out opening the issue. 
    yes, I just meant about him saying they weren't going to reopen the debate. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I am honestly so upset about what is happening in the US right now, I can't even really talking about it.... It scares the shit out of me as a woman though. I heard people making the warnings, but I really didn't expect things to spiral towards the Handmaid's Tale kind of shit so soon and so quickly. Now women are being called "hosts" by some of these disgusting people FFS. I can't hardly believe it's real. 
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited May 2019
    Yes, and until then, they should all go on general strike. That would pretty much shut the state down overnight and cause immediate chaos. But we all know that won't happen. The general population has been too systematically cowed into apathy.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    How come GOP lawmakers always say “ Gun restrictions won’t stop the masacres “ yet they go all in on stopping Abortions by passing laws that won’t stop abortions ! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

Arkansas, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota and now Alabama have all passed legislation restricting abortions this year. Missouri, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Wisconsin have pending laws.

Once Trump tipped the balance in the Supreme Court all of the bible thumping hillbillies came out of the wood work to test Roe v. Wade. I fear that we're going to see it overturned, and that each state will determine their own laws. I am glad to live in a state that allows freedom of choice and will not be among those listed. I feel horrible for women around the country who now find themselves in states where old white guys get to limit their reproductive rights based on morality derived from mythology. It is outrageous.

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    If there is a heartbeat, it isn’t just “your body” anymore. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    "Hosts".

Disgusting.
    edited May 2019
    jeffbr said:

Arkansas, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota and now Alabama have all passed legislation restricting abortions this year. Missouri, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Wisconsin have pending laws.

Once Trump tipped the balance in the Supreme Court all of the bible thumping hillbillies came out of the wood work to test Roe v. Wade. I fear that we're going to see it overturned, and that each state will determine their own laws. I am glad to live in a state that allows freedom of choice and will not be among those listed. I feel horrible for women around the country who now find themselves in states where old white guys get to limit their reproductive rights based on morality derived from mythology. It is outrageous.

Don't get ahead of yourself. If R v W is actually overturned, the next thing will be an effort to actually make abortion illegal on the federal level, in which case, even the states that are pro-choice may not have a choice, pun intended. We really can't predict just how bad thing could potentially get at this rate, judging from how easy it seems to be for those who promote this kind of thing get and keep power.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

Remember, pregnancy by rape is God's silver lining. "Sometimes bad things happen, horrible things, but sometimes God can give us a silver lining through the birth of a child."  Missouri Republican State Rep. Tila Hubrecht
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    The irony of that is that there are plenty of women out there that are completely anti-abortion.  Not really a male vs female issue.
  • RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,009
    jeffbr said:

Remember, pregnancy by rape is God's silver lining. "Sometimes bad things happen, horrible things, but sometimes God can give us a silver lining through the birth of a child."  Missouri Republican State Rep. Tila Hubrecht
    In case anyone wants to read the context of these quotes, here you go http://https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/personal-foul/

I was following this Alabama thing on twitter, and someone mentioned how we are going back to the dark ages, and someone else replied and referred to them as "Y'all Queda". I thought that was fucking brilliant. 

Y'all Queda. that sounds like something @Thirty Bills Unpaid would come up with. LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited May 2019
    PJPOWER said:
    The irony of that is that there are plenty of women out there that are completely anti-abortion.  Not really a male vs female issue.
    It is 100% a male vs female issue, because it is almost all male politicians who are dictating what women do with their bodies, which makes me sick to my stomach. Of course there are women out there who are strictly anti-abortion. Thank goodness nobody is forcing them to have abortions! But my point is that if it weren't for men, there is no fucking way in hell abortion laws would be getting challenged. And FWIW, any woman who is for this kind of government control over women's bodies, no matter how they feel about abortion, IS a fucking fool in the extreme. At best.

I do not care if its abortion, alcohol, cannabis, 7 days a week at McDonald's. 20 candy bars a day the GOVERNMENT has no fucking business to tell ANYONE what they can not do with or consume in their body...None whatsoever, and if anyone on here believes that the government has that right, then WHAT the fuck are you doing subscribing to a rock bands website...

And it was mentioned about that Conservative MP in Ontario who attended an anti-abortion rally...he should be kicked out of the party...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,009
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    It is 100% a male vs female issue, because it is almost all male politicians who are dictating what women do with their bodies, which makes me sick to my stomach. Of course there are women out there who are strictly anti-abortion. Thank goodness nobody is forcing them to have abortions! But my point is that if it weren't for men, there is no fucking way in hell abortion laws would be getting challenged. And FWIW, any woman who is for this kind of government control over women's bodies, no matter how they feel about abortion, IS a fucking fool in the extreme. At best.
    100% agree with you @PJ Soul
    PJPOWER said:
    Then the smart ones should leave, leaving most of those men pulling their own puds...
    Give Peas A Chance…