*** -- PROCESSING Your Philadelphia 76ers -- ***

Comments

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    They had nothing on the bench.(I mentioned after their opening night loss to the Celts in October that depth was a huge issue for them, they made trades for 2 solid starters but still never helped their depth) I know in the playoffs your rotation shrinks, but there's no way they can win a title with close to nothing contributed beyond the starting 5.

So not only do they need to retain 3 of their starters who are FA's (2 who want max deals), but need a real contributor off the pine. 
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    So it looks like they have the money to max two players, but I'm not sure I would want to since they need to really bolster this bench.

Problem is the amount they gave up for Harris, and Scott to some degree - how do you not max Harris? That's without even talking about Butler...
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Joe Carter-ish. This ranks right up. Fucking awful. 
    Ya think? One was a beach ball down the middle of the plate. This was a miracle shot that you really couldn't do anything about.

But I'd definitely say that Toronto has squeeked two moments into my Philly Sports bleeding heart. Which brought up something funny last night on the post-game - maybe this was just leveling out for the missed Vince Carter three, haha.
    Same sinking feeling. Circumstances were obviously not the same. But, to me, it was the same sinking feeling. It’s also right up with the Tampa loss. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited May 2019
    Poncier said:
    They had nothing on the bench.(I mentioned after their opening night loss to the Celts in October that depth was a huge issue for them, they made trades for 2 solid starters but still never helped their depth) I know in the playoffs your rotation shrinks, but there's no way they can win a title with close to nothing contributed beyond the starting 5.

So not only do they need to retain 3 of their starters who are FA's (2 who want max deals), but need a real contributor off the pine. 
    They’re in better shape than your team. Is there even a Celtics thread?

Also it’s obvious to anyone that they need to upgrade their bench. They sacrificed a little there to have one of the best starting five’s in the league. Still, the Sixers bench outplayed Toronto’s. That’s not why they lost. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    probably the most important off-season for this franchise in a long long time.  decisions made this off-season will determine chances of a future championship.

Brett Brown - back or not?  seems like he is going to be out. not sure that is a  good decision. does a rookie coach of Jay Wright help you closer to a title? or a retread coach?

Are you sure Embiid and Simmons can mix together for a title run? if not do you try to trade Simmons? I wouldn't but seems like there might be some people who feel that way.

Butler and Harris max contracts.  Seems like they will be offered and hard to argue against that.

JJ Redick?  love Redick but can they afford him? but they can afford not to have his shooting back?

bench - need at least 2 guards/small forward types (maybe Zhaire Smith counts as 1) and an athletic big.

lots of BIG decisions to be made this off season.
    Poncier said:

They’re in better shape than your team. 

If you say so. 
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:

If you say so. 
    I mean.....your team had sky high expectations with Kyrie and Hayward joining a team that went to the ECF last year right? Finishing 4th and getting blown out in 5 games in the second round seems like not an optimal season if I'm a fan of that team.
    Is Kyrie leaving? Do you want him to leave at this point? They played better without him last Spring. 
    Seems like they grossly overpaid for Hayward right?
    Tatum took a step backwards.
    Is Horford going to leave?
    Brad Stephens was a genius last year. I still think he's a great coach but he got out-coached during the playoffs. 
    On top of all that the team chemistry appeared terrible all season long. 

Good luck. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Joe Carter-ish. This ranks right up. Fucking awful. 
    I remember exactly where I was when that happened.

i also remember Schilling couldn’t watch when Mitch was in the game.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:

If you say so. 
    I mean.....your team had sky high expectations with Kyrie and Hayward joining a team that went to the ECF last year right? Finishing 4th and getting blown out in 5 games in the second round seems like not an optimal season if I'm a fan of that team.
    Is Kyrie leaving? Do you want him to leave at this point? They played better without him last Spring. 
    Brad Stephens was a genius last year. I still think he's a great coach but he got out-coached during the playoffs. 

Good luck. 

Frankly both our teams fell short. Many experts assumed the ECF would be Boston vs. Philly. And after Sixers acquired Jamie Foxx and Tobias Harris, anything short of the ECF looks like they came up short.

Celts way underperformed this year, no question. But from a personnel standpoint I think the Sixers have a much larger fish to fry.

Kyrie is the only major personnel question with the Celts (Horford isn't abandoning 30 mil for next year).

Hayward is an overpay because he snapped his leg in half, and never got back to form this season aside from a few flashes (one in your building if I recall). Paul George said it took 2 full years to get back from a similar injury, so perhaps Hayward returns to form next season, we'll see.

It will be an interesting off season for sure. Ainge is going to make a hard push for Davis, I think his dream scenario is convincing Kyrie to stay, trading for Davis (which will take a lot, but he has accumulated a lot) and having a core of Davis, Irving, Hayward, Smart and whoever doesn't go to New Orleans. We'll see if he pulls it off.

Your Sixers have lots of work to do as well. And Toronto has to convince Kahwi to stay. Seems like a good time to be a Bucks fan.

Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:

If you say so. 

Good luck. 

Frankly both our teams fell short. Many experts assumed the ECF would be Boston vs. Philly. And after Sixers acquired Jamie Foxx and Tobias Harris, anything short of the ECF looks like they came up short.

Celts way underperformed this year, no question. But from a personnel standpoint I think the Sixers have a much larger fish to fry.

Kyrie is the only major personnel question with the Celts (Horford isn't abandoning 30 mil for next year).

Hayward is an overpay because he snapped his leg in half, and never got back to form this season aside from a few flashes (one in your building if I recall). Paul George said it took 2 full years to get back from a similar injury, so perhaps Hayward returns to form next season, we'll see.

It will be an interesting off season for sure. Ainge is going to make a hard push for Davis, I think his dream scenario is convincing Kyrie to stay, trading for Davis (which will take a lot, but he has accumulated a lot) and having a core of Davis, Irving, Hayward, Smart and whoever doesn't go to New Orleans. We'll see if he pulls it off.

Your Sixers have lots of work to do as well. And Toronto has to convince Kahwi to stay. Seems like a good time to be a Bucks fan.

A little revisionist history on your part. Expectations for Boston were quite higher than the Sixers going into the season as the Sixers failed to significantly upgrade during the off-season, while you guys had two big pieces joining an ECF team. I remember Bill Simmons predicting 68 wins. That was funny.

As for the Sixers, it's tough to mesh everything together making two huge trades during the season and then only having those guys all play together 10 times prior to the playoffs starting. Just not enough time. Those trades were made as much for the future than they were for this particular season. Gave them a little security in case they failed to get a free agent this summer (obviously this means they must resign them but I doubt they made those trades if they didn't have an inkling that they could resign both if they wish). After that, they need to figure out the shooting guard position and shore up the bench. Definitely some work to do. 

Celtics seem to have a lot more question marks though. And that chemistry thing cannot be understated enough. That team looked like they hated each other for a lot of the season and it carried over into the playoffs. Not good at all.

But yeah, big off-season ahead. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:

If you say so. 

Good luck. 

A little revisionist history on your part. Expectations for Boston were quite higher than the Sixers going into the season as the Sixers failed to significantly upgrade during the off-season, while you guys had two big pieces joining an ECF team. I remember Bill Simmons predicting 68 wins. That was funny.

No doubt Celts were the favorites to win the east, but Sixers were the 2nd choice, so my assertion that experts were predicting a Celts/Sixers ECF is not revisionist history.

Hey, at least LeBron can shoot, so you'll have that going for you if the above deal comes to fruition.

edited May 2019
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:

If you say so. 

Good luck. 

As for the Sixers, it's tough to mesh everything together making two huge trades during the season and then only having those guys all play together 10 times prior to the playoffs starting. Just not enough time. Those trades were made as much for the future than they were for this particular season. Gave them a little security in case they failed to get a free agent this summer (obviously this means they must resign them but I doubt they made those trades if they didn't have an inkling that they could resign both if they wish). After that, they need to figure out the shooting guard position and shore up the bench. Definitely some work to do. 

Celtics seem to have a lot more question marks though. And that chemistry thing cannot be understated enough. That team looked like they hated each other for a lot of the season and it carried over into the playoffs. Not good at all.

But yeah, big off-season ahead. 
    Sixers have two young all stars and Celtics one star wants out and is a malcontent. As of May 13 the sixers are in better shape but that is why this off season is so important. I think most sensible people at this point would take the combo of embiid and Simmons over who the Celtics have on this day.

Trading Simmons for LeBron would be incredibly dumb.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
    edited May 2019
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:

If you say so. 

Good luck. 

No doubt Celts were the favorites to win the east, but Sixers were the 2nd choice, so my assertion that experts were predicting a Celts/Sixers ECF is not revisionist history.

Hey, at least LeBron can shoot, so you'll have that going for you if the above deal comes to fruition.

Pretty much everyone had the Celts rated as the top team in the east followed by Toronto, Philly and the Bucks. 
    Look at the betting odds from October: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2803831-2019-nba-championship-odds-raptors-pelicans-bucks-rise-in-latest-lines

So the Celtics grossly underachieved while the Bucks overachieved and the Raptors and Sixers ended up about where most expected....
    chinese-happy.jpg

You're cherry picking revised odds 2 weeks into the season, whereas last summer, Sixers were at one point tied with Houston a 2nd choice behind Golden Shower and ahead of the Celtics.

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/23680463/2018-19-nba-title-odds-open-golden-state-warriors-favored-philadelphia-76ers-tops-east

If you feel a 2nd round exit is exactly where the Sixers belonged, so be it. I know the Celts underachieved.

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    plus, you’re both in the JV conference.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    edited May 2019
    Poncier said:

You're cherry picking revised odds 2 weeks into the season, whereas last summer, Sixers were at one point tied with Houston a 2nd choice behind Golden Shower and ahead of the Celtics.

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/23680463/2018-19-nba-title-odds-open-golden-state-warriors-favored-philadelphia-76ers-tops-east

If you feel a 2nd round exit is exactly where the Sixers belonged, so be it. I know the Celts underachieved.

I'M cherry picking? Sir, you are grasping for straws. This article you found is from June 11th which, admittedly was "one point" last summer.....however that point was literally days after the season ended, before the draft and before free agency and, of course, a couple months before Kawhi even ended up with Toronto. The article even mentions one of the reasons the Sixers were so high is because they were favorites to land Lebron at the time. HA. Talk about cherry picking. This is gross negligence on your part. 

Can you guess what all 12 of these links have in common? The answer is below
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2789744-2018-19-nba-schedule-win-loss-predictions-for-every-team#slide28
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24365036/nba-standings-predictions-espn-summer-forecast
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/16/sports/basketball/nba-predictions.html
     https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/10/15/standings-award-predictions-nba-season/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.d02446fd7a7a
    https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/nba-season-preview-predictions-start-2018-19-standings-playoffs-finals-warriors-celtics/1d3xsbapu0nq11pjuss4soheyl
    https://www.si.com/nba/2018/10/11/nba-finals-predictions-picks-warriors-celtics-lakers-stephen-curry-kevin-durant
    https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/sportsline-2018-19-nba-projections-warriors-heavy-favorites-to-three-peat-celtics-raptors-very-close-in-east/
    https://www.teamrankings.com/blog/nba/nba-preseason-predictions-2018-19-review-highlights
    https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-2018-19-eastern-conference-183046088.html
    https://www.newsweek.com/nba-predictions-season-2018-2019-playoff-teams-mvp-picks-experts-opener-1172466
    https://thebiglead.com/2018/10/16/2018-2019-nba-predictions-lebron-kevin-durant/
    https://fansided.com/2018/10/10/whiteboard-2018-19-nba-season-predictions-east-playoff-teams/

....every single prediction article here had your Celtics as the top team in the East. All but one had the Sixers in the 3 seed. So, yes, we agree your Celtics underachieved greatly. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Brett is staying per Woj. Smart move by the Sixers. He at least deserves a full season with the new guys.

Glad ownership didn't make an irrational decision like a lot of the fans wanted. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    Brett is staying per Woj. Smart move by the Sixers. He at least deserves a full season with the new guys.

Glad ownership didn't make an irrational decision like a lot of the fans wanted. 
    I'll say this again.  I hated the process but like what the team has become and Embiid is a class act and plays hard.

You've got a good coach too.  

Get a 3pt shooter and you've got something.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    edited May 2019

I'll say this again.  I hated the process but like what the team has become and Embiid is a class act and plays hard.

Think they also need a reliable back-up Center too. Did you see the point differential when Embiid was on or off the court? I don't have the numbers in front of me but it was drastic. Game 7 Greg Monroe was out for just under 2 minutes and was a minus 9 points. I don't think i  would be minus 9 if i only played just under 2 minutes>LOL!!

Another, besides keeping Reddick, 3-point shooter would help too.
    Post edited by cutz on
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    cutz said:

Think they also need a reliable back-up Center too. Did you see the point differential when Embiid was on or off the court? I don't have the numbers in front of me back it was drastic. Game 7 Greg Monroe was out for just under 2 minutes and was a minus 9 points. I'm not i would be minus 9 if i only played just under 2 minutes>LOL!!

What I would worry for you guys is keeping Embiid healthy so a backup would be smart.  I don't think he is going to have a long career.
    Definitely agree on a better backup center.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    cutz said:

Think they also need a reliable back-up Center too. Did you see the point differential when Embiid was on or off the court? I don't have the numbers in front of me back it was drastic. Game 7 Greg Monroe was out for just under 2 minutes and was a minus 9 points. I'm not i would be minus 9 if i only played just under 2 minutes>LOL!!

What I would worry for you guys is keeping Embiid healthy so a backup would be smart.  I don't think he is going to have a long career.
    I don't think he'll have a long career either.  HOPE i'm wrong though.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Image result for boban john wick
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    edited May 2019
    cutz said:

Lots of big roster decisions to be made
    Post edited by pjhawks on
    Turns out the Sixers played Toronto better than the Bucks did...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Yes they did.

I thought the Bucks would beat the Raptors in a close Series. I also  thought the 76ers matched up well with the Bucks and could've beat them. Oh well.
    cutz said:
    Yes they did.

I thought the Bucks would beat the Raptors in a close Series. I also  thought the 76ers matched up well with the Bucks and could've beat them. Oh well.
    Agreed. Oh what could’ve been. Next year!
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Sixers played the champs tougher than anyone else. 

Embiid better have hired a personal chef by now and should be working out everyday. 
    Ben should be taking a ten million jumpers a day. 

Gotta be better next year. 

#runitback
    chinese-happy.jpg