***DONALD J TRUMP HAS OFFICIALLY BEEN IMPEACHED***

Comments

• SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    Although there is nothing 'cool' about Trump.  jackass perhaps
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    https://apple.news/Azgnuxs5CQ2uGuYqPs8c-sg
    yep folks this is something that will surely happen if he loses by small margins!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    yep folks this is something that will surely happen if he loses by small margins!
    She’s an idiot...he is is walking out the Whitehouse for the last time on January 20.2025.

Give Peas A Chance…
    She’s an idiot...he is is walking out the Whitehouse for the last time on January 20.2025.

lol yeah ok ..
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    edited May 2019
    Not sure if anyone here listens to or watches Pod Save America, but they were discussing what both of them agreed is Pelosi's special sauce - which they described (and I'm paraphrasing) as an ability to have her adversaries come to agree with her, by letting them feel these positions were formed on their own (where Pelosi more 'steers' the conversation so that people reach those findings themselves rather than outright telling them what their positions ought to be). I found that an interesting analysis, and it really would explain why she isn't weighing in too heavily on impeachment vs. not, but rather more saying "let's be prepared for and concerned about attacks on future democracy by Donald Trump", hoping that will plant a 'danger' seed in enough minds to have them aware of an implicit obligation to act.

Since Pelosi's also a politician, it's a reasonable assumption that she knows a good idea without enough planning considerations will likely die in this political system, so she needs the troops all unified were she to move forward.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    Clinton was impeached and acquited

Then GOP retained the Senate, retained the house, and proceeded to win the next presidential election.

People are over estimating the political risk of impeachment.  I think it has more of an upside.  
    I don't think Clinton's impeachment/acquittal had much (if any) influence on the 2000 election. Bush won by like only 500 votes in Florida. And I think he won mostly due to "there's been a guy from THIS party for 8 years, now let's try a guy from THAT party." Gore being a boring stiff didn't help matters either.

So concerning Trump, what do you feel is the upside of an impeachment that won't get a conviction?
    CM189191 said:
    Country over party. 
    Your idealism is adorable. It shows that you have a heart and that you want what's best for this country. That's nice. You know who don't have hearts? Senators from the Notorious GOP. They are not going to vote to convict Trump in an impeachment trial. I think as it stands now, about 20 GOP senators would have to vote to convict Trump. No way that happens. 
    Impeachment isn't about removing trump from office. That's going to happen anyway.  It's just a bonus if it happens before the election. 

It's about the political theatre.  Let the GOP continue to make asses of themselves by defending trump. He won't do the same for them.  He's an albatross around their necks.

WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    benjs said:
    Not sure if anyone here listens to or watches Pod Save America, but they were discussing what both of them agreed is Pelosi's special sauce - which they described (and I'm paraphrasing) as an ability to have her adversaries come to agree with her, by letting them feel these positions were formed on their own (where Pelosi more 'steers' the conversation so that people reach those findings themselves rather than outright telling them what their positions ought to be). I found that an interesting analysis, and it really would explain why she isn't weighing in too heavily on impeachment vs. not, but rather more saying "let's be prepared for and concerned about attacks on future democracy by Donald Trump", hoping that will plant a 'danger' seed in enough minds to have them aware of an implicit obligation to act.

Since Pelosi's also a politician, it's a reasonable assumption that she knows a good idea without enough planning considerations will likely die in this political system, so she needs the troops all unified were she to move forward.
    I love Pod Save America. I found it a couple months ago and binged on a couple episodes but I'm not current. I love the take that those guys have on Trump and the political environment. I'm a big fan of Obama and a lot of those who worked for him, so I'm obviously drawn to it. But they make for a very interesting, and humorous, insider's look at the craziness of Washington. 

That Pelosi analysis is spot on. She is savvy, it runs in the family. She grew up the daughter of a politician so she's been studying the way to maneuver through political situations for a long time. When she came out with that statement, I thought this was her slow walk to impeachment. She knows that people need to adjust in phases sometimes. Both politicians and citizens. 
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Smellyman said:
    Although there is nothing 'cool' about Trump.  jackass perhaps
    No. Absolutely void of cool.

Unless you're a racist, then he's the man. 
    https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1125124284786053129?s=21
    Uhm he proclaims he’s thee most transparent president in the history of this country weird he doesn’t want anyone testifying his innocence ☝️
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    njnancy said:
    Hillary Clinton on Rachel Maddow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUeu72fWuYk
    Say what you will about Hillary, at least she can speak in complete sentences, has a firm grasp of law and policy and can speak of and to it intelligently and possesses intellectual curiosity as well as a sense of humor.
    Yes she does , “China if your watching please release Donald Trumps taxes “ that’s the only time I’ll address him by his name to me he will always be an Orange Baffoon! 
    I have always felt that, if she were a man and possessed the same qualities, she would have won in 2016 hands down. 
    I vehemently disagree with this. I think her being a woman was one of the best things she had going for her. Made her different and unique to a degree. If you take away that, then she's just another Mitt Romney; someone with experience and a good resume...who is boring, robotic, and unlikeable. 

In my time of following Presidential elections, the "cooler" person has won every single time, experience and policy be damned:

1992: Clinton cooler than Bush Sr.
    1996: Clinton cooler than Dole.
    2000: Bush Jr. cooler than Gore
    2004: Bush Jr. cooler than Kerry
    2008: Obama cooler than McCain
    2012: Obama cooler than Romney
    2016: Trump cooler than Clinton

Right? McCain was a war hero and decades-long senator. That used to be what it took to be the president. But Obama was cooler. He plays basketball and hangs with Jay Z. Who cares if he was a one-term senator? Same with Trump. No experience, totally evil. But to some, his antics were entertaining enough to like him. And for some reason, people are passionate about voting for Trump. Concerning Hillary, I think a lot of her voters held the same view I did: "Well I guess I have to vote for her." Hardly someone many people were passionate about. 

In the end, Hillary, unlike her husband, just isn't a good politician. And remember there's a difference between "politician" and "civil servant." To politic is simply to persuade people, and in an election, it's to persuade people to like you. That's not in her wheelhouse. As a civil servant, she was fine as a senator and secretary of state. But a lot of times that doesn't win elections. That's why Trump, despite everything that's wrong with him, was successful. He's been selling himself for decades. 
    excellent point. so sloppy joe doesn't stand a chance then. 
    Joe's much cooler than Trump...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    https://twitter.com/politico/status/1125256401603956737?s=21
    Forget sleepy Joe , no one will have a chance if he gets his way I’m sure the plan is in motion with Russia’s help ..
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    njnancy said:

Say what you will about Hillary, at least she can speak in complete sentences, has a firm grasp of law and policy and can speak of and to it intelligently and possesses intellectual curiosity as well as a sense of humor.
    Yes she does , “China if your watching please release Donald Trumps taxes “ that’s the only time I’ll address him by his name to me he will always be an Orange Baffoon! 
    I have always felt that, if she were a man and possessed the same qualities, she would have won in 2016 hands down. 
    I vehemently disagree with this. I think her being a woman was one of the best things she had going for her. Made her different and unique to a degree. If you take away that, then she's just another Mitt Romney; someone with experience and a good resume...who is boring, robotic, and unlikeable. 

In my time of following Presidential elections, the "cooler" person has won every single time, experience and policy be damned:

Right? McCain was a war hero and decades-long senator. That used to be what it took to be the president. But Obama was cooler. He plays basketball and hangs with Jay Z. Who cares if he was a one-term senator? Same with Trump. No experience, totally evil. But to some, his antics were entertaining enough to like him. And for some reason, people are passionate about voting for Trump. Concerning Hillary, I think a lot of her voters held the same view I did: "Well I guess I have to vote for her." Hardly someone many people were passionate about. 

In the end, Hillary, unlike her husband, just isn't a good politician. And remember there's a difference between "politician" and "civil servant." To politic is simply to persuade people, and in an election, it's to persuade people to like you. That's not in her wheelhouse. As a civil servant, she was fine as a senator and secretary of state. But a lot of times that doesn't win elections. That's why Trump, despite everything that's wrong with him, was successful. He's been selling himself for decades. 
    depends on the definition of cool. in this context, I would say Trump is entertaining at the very least, while joe puts me to sleep. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    "THE FIELD"
    Forget sleepy Joe , no one will have a chance if he gets his way I’m sure the plan is in motion with Russia’s help ..
    When it is time for Trump to go (probably 2025, but either way), this might be tested.  Legally, he can’t make it happen but it’ll be interesting to see how many Americans back the idea.  I’m guessing about a third.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    OnWis97 said:
    When it is time for Trump to go (probably 2025, but either way), this might be tested.  Legally, he can’t make it happen but it’ll be interesting to see how many Americans back the idea.  I’m guessing about a third.
    You think this country will be ok with this president refusing to stepped down if he looses or if he wants to tack another two years to this term? Without bloodshed in our streets? Not me this will not end well at all ..

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    you guys are losing it lol
    He is going willingly.  But in the unlikely scenario that he does not go, I suspect there will be no shortage of police or military personnel that would gladly volunteer and uphold the constitution and haul his orange ass out of the WH kicking and screaming...

Some of you Americans might have the weed that causes paranoia... 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    njnancy said:

Ask someone why they don't like her and there is never a real answer like she supported caging children at the border or she was cheating on her husband flagrantly. It's always an answer like she's so corrupt, she's in wall street's pocket, she's such a bitch, she has no personality, she's shrill. I think that says a lot about how we view males and females in possessions of power. 
    I 100% agree with you on this. 
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    "THE FIELD"
    my2hands said:
    you guys are losing it lol
    Do you think there's no chance that we're on the road to authoritarianism?  

Hey hopefully after Trump's second term, we elect some normal person and you can say how you told me so...but I think this shit is getting real.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    njnancy said:

depends on the definition of cool. in this context, I would say Trump is entertaining at the very least, while joe puts me to sleep. 
    He puts you  to sleep? Are you saying that because of Trump's dumb name or you really find him boring?

I've always found Biden to be a cool, calm and collected politician who's pretty funny and also not afraid to go toe to toe with a guy like Trump. SNL impersonations are always pretty spot on with these things and Sudiekis' Biden was nowhere near "sleepy." Kind of opposite, actually. 

I find "Sleepy Joe" to be pretty weak and inaccurate compared to "Corrupt Hillary" which, unfortunately was relatively accurate (though, obviously pales in comparison to Trump's own corruptness). 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    He is going willingly.  But in the unlikely scenario that he does not go, I suspect there will be no shortage of police or military personnel that would gladly volunteer and uphold the constitution and haul his orange ass out of the WH kicking and screaming...

I grow my own not paranoia at all it’s very soothing great to just relax , I’ll be the 1st to admit my mistakes if this goes the way you think it will I wonder if you would come here and do the same if my scenario plays out ? 
    "THE FIELD"
    njnancy said:

He puts you  to sleep? Are you saying that because of Trump's dumb name or you really find him boring?

I've always found Biden to be a cool, calm and collected politician who's pretty funny and also not afraid to go toe to toe with a guy like Trump. SNL impersonations are always pretty spot on with these things and Sudiekis' Biden was nowhere near "sleepy." Kind of opposite, actually. 

I find "Sleepy Joe" to be pretty weak and inaccurate compared to "Corrupt Hillary" which, unfortunately was relatively accurate (though, obviously pales in comparison to Trump's own corruptness). 
    Me too, though his best days are behind him.  I think he'd have been an interesting candidate in 2016...still past his prime, but riding a fairly popular wave having been with Obama the previous eight years (and, of course the very disliked Hillary not being there).  I think he'd have roughed Trump up a bit in the debates from a "snark" perspective. 

It would have been "the last eight years vs. New Stupid Populism."  Would have been interesting.  Instead it was the devil vs. new stupid populism.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712

Don't blame the weed, man. It's not the weed. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    njnancy said:

I had mentioned recently I haven't seen joe speak in some time, but that one that was posted made me want to take a nap, yes. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I grow my own not paranoia at all it’s very soothing great to just relax , I’ll be the 1st to admit my mistakes if this goes the way you think it will I wonder if you would come here and do the same if my scenario plays out ? 
    First off I was only joking about the weed...please take no offence.  Please explain the highlighted.

I just believe the military and police personnel would do what they are sworn to uphold, and that is the US Constitution.  I also believe Trump lawyers will tell him to muzzle it and go quietly or risk spending life in jail...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    There's no way he won't leave once he loses. Come on now...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    There's no way he won't leave once he loses. Come on now...

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

First off I was only joking about the weed...please take no offence.  Please explain the highlighted.

I just believe the military and police personnel would do what they are sworn to uphold, and that is the US Constitution.  I also believe Trump lawyers will tell him to muzzle it and go quietly or risk spending life in jail...
    I’m saying that if he does fail to comply if voted out would you come here and state that you misjudged him that’s all and no I didn’t take offense I’m joking about that !!
    I hope for all our sakes I’m dead wrong ! 
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    edited May 2019
    Don't worry...you're dead wrong. While he'd definitively put a up a fuss if he lost and would be a terror during the transition period (remember the Bush Sr. to Clinton transition? It'd be the complete opposite of that). But this notion of him refusing to leave and being worried about that ("for our sakes" as you said), is just in your head...and the heads of others perhaps. It's a delusion. 
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    "THE FIELD"
    Don't worry...you're dead wrong. While he'd definitively put a up a fuss if he lost and would be a terror during the transition period (remember the Bush Sr. to Clinton transition? It'd be the complete opposite of that). But this notion of him refusing to leave and being worried about that ("for our sakes" as you said), is just in your head...and the heads of others perhaps. It's a delusion. 
    How about some bloodshed on the streets?  We've never seen the cultlike devotion to anyone else that we're seeing all.  I don't see Trump losing, but if he does, the next is going to be ugly...particularly if Trump asks his followers to do anything.