Every day is Earth Day. Let's talk about ways to make it better.

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    All you can do is do your best, I suppose.  But until people stop breeding like rabbits, the earth is fucked...might as well enjoy the ride.  
    Absolutely!  Although there are other important factors, I've long said the number one issue with human influence of the earth is our out-of-control numbers.

I'm also trying to keep in my your thought about enjoying the ride.  Good reminder, thanks!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    All you can do is do your best, I suppose.  But until people stop breeding like rabbits, the earth is fucked...might as well enjoy the ride.  
    Absolutely!  Although there are other important factors, I've long said the number one issue with human influence of the earth is our out-of-control numbers.

I'm also trying to keep in my your thought about enjoying the ride.  Good reminder, thanks!
    Here in Ontario, we have reduced our GHG by 22% in the last 14 years...mostly from shuttering coal-fired plants.  Yet the goofy PM and his climate change minister, better known as climate Barbie still think we need a carbon tax...what these assholes do not comprehend is that a carbon tax is a joke in Ontario...we pay for climate change every day by paying some of the highest hydro bills in Canada.  We may have the greenest hydro in Canada...all we have is Nuclear power, wind, solar and very small hydroelectric is added to the grid.

Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:

Here in Ontario, we have reduced our GHG by 22% in the last 14 years...mostly from shuttering coal-fired plants.  Yet the goofy PM and his climate change minister, better known as climate Barbie still think we need a carbon tax...what these assholes do not comprehend is that a carbon tax is a joke in Ontario...we pay for climate change every day by paying some of the highest hydro bills in Canada.  We may have the greenest hydro in Canada...all we have is Nuclear power, wind, solar and very small hydroelectric is added to the grid.

The carbon tax idea sounded good at first but it wasn't well thought out and many believe it's a poor substitute of sorts for alternative energy and reduced consumption.  And it favors the rich.  

Nuclear power would be a huge help except we still haven't solved the issue of neutralizing (let alone safely storing) the nuclear waste.  And it's not a good idea in earthquake prone areas- i.e. all of the Pacific Ring of Fire.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

The carbon tax idea sounded good at first but it wasn't well thought out and many believe it's a poor substitute of sorts for alternative energy and reduced consumption.  And it favors the rich.  

Nuclear power would be a huge help except we still haven't solved the issue of neutralizing (let alone safely storing) the nuclear waste.  And it's not a good idea in earthquake prone areas- i.e. all of the Pacific Ring of Fire.

BC has had a carbon tax for a decade and the evidence shows that it has been effective in reducing emissions. It's not the only measure needed, of course, but it has been helpful, which is part of the reason why our federal government wants to roll out a nation-wide program.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

BC has had a carbon tax for a decade and the evidence shows that it has been effective in reducing emissions. It's not the only measure needed, of course, but it has been helpful, which is part of the reason why our federal government wants to roll out a nation-wide program.
    I hope they place as much emphasis on alternative and, especially, conserving energy.

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

The Carbon tax is for suckers.  And I believe our hydroelectric come from Niagra Falls, not sure what environment impact that caused in building the infrastructure for the hydroelectric.  In Canada, we pay plenty of taxes.  Trudeau is a tax and spend liberal who cannot add...

Nuclear power needs to be carefully considered before construction, of course.  We are likely in no danger of an earthquake large enough to be bothersome.

As far as I'm concerned the environmental movement is lost and full of hypocrites.  

Just like those re-usable cotton shopping bags...they are far from environmentally friendly.

Earth Day: Four things you're doing to save the planet that are actually bad for it
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/earth-day-four-things-you-re-doing-to-save-the-planet-that-are-actually-bad-for-it-1.4388999?fbclid=IwAR0xyyD8S-25ktoP1eTWPKcV4wiyZqA-KjEKdPOp6zAJgH9xcaPUWOnCgaA
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

The Carbon tax is for suckers.  And I believe our hydroelectric come from Niagra Falls, not sure what environment impact that caused in building the infrastructure for the hydroelectric.  In Canada, we pay plenty of taxes.  Trudeau is a tax and spend liberal who cannot add...

Nuclear power needs to be carefully considered before construction, of course.  We are likely in no danger of an earthquake large enough to be bothersome.

As far as I'm concerned the environmental movement is lost and full of hypocrites.  

Just like those re-usable cotton shopping bags...they are far from environmentally friendly.

Earth Day: Four things you're doing to save the planet that are actually bad for it
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/earth-day-four-things-you-re-doing-to-save-the-planet-that-are-actually-bad-for-it-1.4388999?fbclid=IwAR0xyyD8S-25ktoP1eTWPKcV4wiyZqA-KjEKdPOp6zAJgH9xcaPUWOnCgaA

But nothing is simple, and there isn't just one measure of something being "green" or better for the environment. Maybe cloth bags produce more "water pollution", but they don't require plastic (and we know what a problem we have with plastic), and they require fewer trees to be cut down than paper bags, which in my experience can't be reused four times - they rip before then. Everything has risks and benefits. How to balance them and try to figure out which are the worse risks and which are the better benefits? We don't yet know. I'm leery of an article like this making a blanket "cloth bags = bad!" statement, because the truth is more complex than that. 
    There are mixed reports that carbon tax works in BC.

There is no way to tell if a carbon tax is effective or if people's habits change to make it seem more effective...

Almost all vehicles are more fuel efficient today than they were 10 years ago, anyone who has bought appliance's, replaced a furbace/AC recently are benefiting from more energy efficiencies...

It's a BS tax for the naive.

In Ontario the BS tax by 2022 will take 22 million from hospital budgets, 17 million from school board budgets and 4 million from our Ontario Provincial Police budgets...not to mention the increased cost municipalities.  I know where I'd rather the money stay...in the hands of the of hospitals, school, and police...instead of handing it out to a bunch of corporations...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    There are mixed reports that carbon tax works in BC.

There is no way to tell if a carbon tax is effective or if people's habits change to make it seem more effective...

Almost all vehicles are more fuel efficient today than they were 10 years ago, anyone who has bought appliance's, replaced a furbace/AC recently are benefiting from more energy efficiencies...

It's a BS tax for the naive.

In Ontario the BS tax by 2022 will take 22 million from hospital budgets, 17 million from school board budgets and 4 million from our Ontario Provincial Police budgets...not to mention the increased cost municipalities.  I know where I'd rather the money stay...in the hands of the of hospitals, school, and police...instead of handing it out to a bunch of corporations...

Yes, cars are more fuel efficient, but BC generally has the same cars as the rest of the country, so that's not a great argument, given the differential in emissions reductions across the country. We're also not just, or even primarily, talking about car emissions; we're talking about larger polluters. 
    'Sickening': First Nations left empty-handed as environmentalist pressure kills B.C. energy projects

https://business.financialpost.com/commodities/energy/sickening-first-nations-left-empty-handed-as-environmentalist-pressure-kills-b-c-energy-projects?fbclid=IwAR0-PE2g3esjzv4FBiG2NCWKWNwbkL2zcg1BXdlAqBwuwObK0GCAxnEF7BQ

If it's their land, which it is, then no government has the right to obstruct projects that make life better for them...none, because if they do not make life better for themselves, then no one will...

Give Peas A Chance…
    Philippines' Duterte threatens 'war' if Canada doesn't take trash back

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/philippines-duterte-threatens-war-if-canada-doesn-t-take-trash-back-1.4390852?fbclid=IwAR16xyx2nA6GwdZvY6WlK9JN0csy5dyR4ttdvgdGAU18AFzk7xDCsHsJ7sU

Yup.  I hope he does.  Dump it on the BC coast.  Trudeau is no environmentalist..he is a we will fix all ills with a carbon tax...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    I think Canada’s fleet of bass boats could take that fucker in the Philippines out in under a week.  You guys should try it just to send a message. 
    Getting a programmable thermostat will cut your energy consumption down.  They are under $100 and will pay for themselves in a few months. 
    If you have access to one, scanning your home with an infrared camera will help identifying major spots of energy loss.  I know they are super espensive but there may be an app that does it now for all I know. 
    Also simple things like wearing warm clothes indoors during the winter can allow you to set the temp a few degrees lower which saves significant money and energy 
    I also think taxes are BS that politicians use for votes and end up spending later on sports stadiums. 
    edited April 2019
    Jason P said:
    Getting a programmable thermostat will cut your energy consumption down.  They are under $100 and will pay for themselves in a few months. 
    Got one!  Yes, very helpful.  Max keep max warming generally set at 66 daytime, 54 nights.

Nest thermostats are overpriced but I got a Honeywell one for $70 that I can control with my phone appwhich is helpful when you are out of town or find yourself on a unplanned trip to lower the temp to save money and energy. Also much easier to program than using manual controls although setup wasn’t super straight forward. 

Watch a few YouTube videos for installation and you can put it in yourself in 20 minutes as long as the wiring exists. 
    LED lighting is a no brainer as well. Watch some videos to understand how much light emitted by incandescent lights is not in humans visible spectrum. 

Phillips Hue color LED bulbs won’t save you money but they are pretty awesome for mood lighting in your home. 
    Checking the air pressure in your tires every few months will increase mileage and make travel more safe.  Save the planet and lives. 
    Jason P said:
    I think Canada’s fleet of bass boats could take that fucker in the Philippines out in under a week.  You guys should try it just to send a message. 
    Our Navy consists of a canoe, 2 guys, some poutine, 2 paddles, and maybe a gun...maybe, more likely a hockey stick.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited April 2019
    Jason P said:
    Agreed...
    Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
    The quote feature on this website sucks...who designed this website?  A grade 8 student could do a better...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    I don't get my environmental news from places like Netflix any more than I get political news from Facebook, so I don't know or care if they are lying.  The article you posted implies polar bears are no longer endangered... so guess  who is lying?

brianlux said:
    I don't get my environmental news from places like Netflix any more than I get political news from Facebook, so I don't know or care if they are lying.  The article you posted implies polar bears are no longer endangered... so guess  who is lying?
    I do not really care where you get your info from.  It was just an article...maybe chill a little.  

Plenty of people including 1st nations people who live in the polar bear habitat say the bears are fine...I will believe them over any with European blood...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    I do not really care where you get your info from.  It was just an article...maybe chill a little.  

Plenty of people including 1st nations people who live in the polar bear habitat say the bears are fine...I will believe them over any with European blood...
    Whoa!  OK, I'm chiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiillin'!

You live in California.  If they use the same info you use to fight climate change...maybe they should try a different approach...The last time I was in California it was so smog filled, full of congestion and the trees look like they haven't been watered in years...pretty depressing if you ask me.  How come your cap n trade program has fixed the problem?
    Give Peas A Chance…