Notre-Dame Cathedral Fire

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,868
    Kat said:
    Stupid thing to speculate on now. But any chance they could restore/rebuild it as an exact replica?

Guess the cost would be to huge these days to undertake such a thing maybe...
    I saw a tweet saying that it will be rebuilt, no details. Many cathedrals/places of worship were destroyed in the bombings in WW2 and were rebuilt. The tweeter said that spire that just went down was from the 1800s. I'll see if I can find the tweet again, hope I got those details right.

Maybe they can do one small adjustment:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    At this moment, in the circumstances, it's not funny,

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    Not at all :‘( 
    OH SHIT! Look like we are watching the last moment of Note-Dame... :confounded:
    Longueuil said:
    OH SHIT! Look like we are watching the last moment of Note-Dame... :confounded:
    Yep. That is horrendous 
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    Stupid thing to speculate on now. But any chance they could restore/rebuild it as an exact replica?

Apparently, an art historian made detailed 3D laser maps of the entire building. So if they choose to rebuild, there are indeed maps of every detail.

Nonetheless, it is a terrible loss.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    edited April 2019
    General Gallet: "We can now consider that both Notre Dame towers are saved." "We now have to cool down different points, it'll take a few hours, but Notre-Dame's structure is saved."
    General Gallet: "We can now consider that both Notre Dame towers are saved." "We now have to cool down different points, it'll take a few hours, but Notre-Dame's structure is saved."
    It is a small comfort but pretty much anything wooden that remained from the Middle Ages is gone 
    An empty shell, like an Easter egg...
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    So sad.  I keep wondering about how much priceless artwork was lost.  :frowning:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited April 2019
    Lot of stained-glass window I guess.
    The statues of the apostles are safe too (they were removed couple days ago)
    Emmanuel Macron said that they wil rebuild the cathedral
    Post edited by Longueuil on
    Longueuil said:
    Which is good!! It’s just never gonna be the same again 

• CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786

/$hame about the art and architecture tho
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    tbergs said:
    I hope this doesn't turn out to be an arson or related to some intentional act.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/15/world/europe/notre-dame-fire.html
    or even worse, terrorists.

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    CM189191 said:

/$hame about the art and architecture tho
    Oh, brother.  Tacky timing there, CM.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

tbergs said:
    I hope this doesn't turn out to be an arson or related to some intentional act.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/15/world/europe/notre-dame-fire.html
    or even worse, terrorists.

It wasn't.

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,426
    Longueuil said:
    ummm shouldnt the catholic church do that?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    mickeyrat said:
    Longueuil said:
    Depends.  Any attraction that brings 13M visitors a year to your city is a tough economic loss. 
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Plus if the Statue of Liberty was destroyed, I don’t think the US would wait for Pierre to send a replacement. 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Jason P said:
    Plus if the Statue of Liberty was destroyed, I don’t think the US would wait for Pierre to send a replacement. 
    Yeah, but when it was done we'd make France pay for it ;)
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    Kat said:

I saw a tweet saying that it will be rebuilt, no details. Many cathedrals/places of worship were destroyed in the bombings in WW2 and were rebuilt. The tweeter said that spire that just went down was from the 1800s. I'll see if I can find the tweet again, hope I got those details right.

That's nice. Instead of "now we'll fit a scryscraper here"
    I don't think Paris allows skyscrapers in any case.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited April 2019
    brianlux said:
    So sad.  I keep wondering about how much priceless artwork was lost.  :frowning:
    Some, obviously. But I heard on the news that a lot of that stuff had actually already been removed for the renovations, and they managed to get more out the back after the fire started,so that's something, at least.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    Some, obviously. But I heard on the news that a lot of that stuff had actually already been removed for the renovations, and they managed to get more out the back after the fire started,so that's something, at least.
    They had 400 firefighters in the burning cathedral saving as much as they could. I know that there are a bunch of relics and artifacts that are housed there. I love the stained glass windows and I know that at least the one was destroyed.  It's amazing that it withstood 800 years of war, neglect, vandalism but a renovation (probably) brought it down. 

A great loss for Gothic architecture. 

One firefighter was seriously injured. I hope he/she is okay. It is amazing that no one was killed. The foot traffic during Holy Week is huge and they close the doors at 6:45 pm Paris time. Fire started shortly after that. Amazing. I won't say miraculous, but this could have been even worse if was packed with tourists at midday. When the fire started it seemed minor and within 15 minutes there was major engulfment.  
    So if there is a silver lining, at least they were saving artifacts and not human beings. 
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    That's good to hear.
    njnancy said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    They had 400 firefighters in the burning cathedral saving as much as they could. I know that there are a bunch of relics and artifacts that are housed there. I love the stained glass windows and I know that at least the one was destroyed.  It's amazing that it withstood 800 years of war, neglect, vandalism but a renovation (probably) brought it down. 

A great loss for Gothic architecture. 

One firefighter was seriously injured. I hope he/she is okay. It is amazing that no one was killed. The foot traffic during Holy Week is huge and they close the doors at 6:45 pm Paris time. Fire started shortly after that. Amazing. I won't say miraculous, but this could have been even worse if was packed with tourists at midday. When the fire started it seemed minor and within 15 minutes there was major engulfment.  
    So if there is a silver lining, at least they were saving artifacts and not human beings. 
    Yes, a huge loss.

I hope they can renovate.  If so, I imagine it will take decades.

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    They even saved the crown of thorns, that supposedly jesus wore...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    mickeyrat said:
    Longueuil said:
    I sure hope they help with the finances but from what I’ve heard the building is owned by the French state
    They even saved the crown of thorns, that supposedly jesus wore...
    Doubting Thomas.  :lol: