Options

Notre-Dame Cathedral Fire

Comments

• Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited April 2019
    I can’t help crying, this beautiful and historical church. I remember when I was there visiting, standing outside looking at this lovely building with amazement. How could this happen? 
    It’s been standing there for about 850 years. 
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,027
    Annafalk said:
    I can’t help crying, this beautiful and historical church. I remember when I was there visiting, standing outside looking at this lovely building with amazement. How could this happen? 
    We can all be lucky that it is still standing there though.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,113
    Annafalk said:
    Agree. Guess I’ll wait for the cause...seems like it’s obviously 1 of a few things if it’s not intentional.

Having dealt with construction firms and safety a lot...I have my suspicions.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    They even saved the crown of thorns, that supposedly jesus wore...
    Doubting Thomas.  :lol: 
    Lol.  Yup the whole Jesus story is a nice bedtime story...but that’s all it is a story...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

By the TV images, you would have thought it'd be much worse...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    They even saved the crown of thorns, that supposedly jesus wore...
    Mr. Faded Glory is once again doin' time.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    Factbox: Donors pledge over 700 million euros to rebuild Notre-Dame cathedral

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    edited April 2019
    Live View
    At the moment of this posting, they have a crane holding a dangerous and endangered statue so they can move it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRTj7A7rNcY
    Post edited by Kat on
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Kat said:
    Live View
    At the moment of this posting, they have a crane holding a dangerous and endangered statue so they can move it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRTj7A7rNcY
    Wow Kat!

When I was watching the footage yesterday I noticed a statue of a saint (not sure which one) above the stained glass window that was lost. I was amazed that it was still in place, and it makes sense that it's in a very precarious position. 

They've said today that the structure is not sound, so all is not as settled as was thought yesterday. I hope no one is injured by any falling debris. That worries me the most. 
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    It's difficult to see but the bucket with the men has moved away in the live shot and I think there's something cutting the statue free at the bottom of it maybe. You could see the dust flying when the men were there. I hope the neck of the statue can hold the weight.
    I think someone said the roof had been holding the walls steady and with that gone, it is a precarious situation. We all hope they can preserve as much as possible at this point. 
    Post edited by Kat on
  • Options
    Statue coming down...I'm glad the straps weren't around the neck. :)

• Options
    Kat said:
    Statue coming down...I'm glad the straps weren't around the neck. :)

I'm in a news blackout right now (kind of like a juice cleanse but for my brain) so I appreciate your posts about the work at the Cathedral. :smile:

When they showed the statues of the Apostles that were removed from the roof before renovations yesterday, all of them had the heads removed. It was a bit disconcerting, just the headless thing IDK, but that must be a normal practice as the head probably messes up the weight distribution.

Good to know that they were able to save the saint I was watching all day yesterday. I kinda got attached to him. :blush:

Hoping the wall is able to remain standing - not sure how damaged it is. 

• Options
    edited April 2019
    I checked back and night is falling there. I'm sure the workers will continue tomorrow and I hope the feed stays up for very long time. :)
    Added: Now it's a video and the statue being lowered is at about 2:30.

Post edited by Kat on
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,901

that's actually a pretty cool picture, kinda reminds me of this.
    Image result for dark knight symbol fire

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244

I found it a bit eerie. Looks like a giant burning cross.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:

The church is shaped like a cross so that would make sense. 

Is that a picture of where the airplane went into the South Tower? No, did not have the same reaction. Seeing the second picture makes me think of all the people who are burning to death or have been killed in ways I can't even imagine at that exact moment.  I don't think it's a cool picture at all. 
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    njnancy said:
    tbergs said:

Is that a picture of where the airplane went into the South Tower? No, did not have the same reaction. Seeing the second picture makes me think of all the people who are burning to death or have been killed in ways I can't even imagine at that exact moment.  I don't think it's a cool picture at all. 
    Yeah, I figured about the shape being like that on purpose, but just eerie seeing a large burning cross like that.

The 2nd photo is from Batman. That's a giant bat symbol.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,204
    ok so i found this strangely odd.   story in Philly Inquirer today about reactions to fire has quotes from the likes of the Obama's,  religious leaders around the world, and pearl jam bassist jeff ament (from twitter). see story below.

The world reacted with shock and prayers to the massive fire at the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, united in grief and in solidarity with the people of France.

As the flames tore through the 12th-century cathedral, Spain's prime minister offered France the help of his country in the recovery.

The fire is a "catastrophe for France, for Spain and for Europe," Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez tweeted Monday, adding that the flames are destroying "850 years of history, architecture, painting and sculpture."

French President Emmanuel Macron told reporters near the scene that he will seek international help, including from the "greatest talents" in the world, to rebuild Notre Dame.

President Donald Trump, speaking at an appearance in Minnesota, spoke of the "terrible, terrible fire" that devastated "one of the great treasures of the world."

"It's a part of our growing up, it's a part of our culture, it's a part of our lives," Trump said of the landmark.

The Notre Dame Cathedral, situated on an island in the Seine River in the heart of Paris, is one of the world's most visited tourist destinations, drawing some 13 million people each year. The fire's emotional impact was widely felt. People from all over described in Facebook posts how they cried when they heard about the fire.

Former President Barack Obama posted an old photo of himself, his wife Michelle and their two daughters lighting candles in the cathedral.

"Notre Dame is one of the world's great treasures, and we're thinking of the people of France in your time of grief," Obama said on Twitter. Michelle Obama, who was in Paris on Monday on a book tour, said "my heart aches with the people of France."

"The majesty of Notre Dame - the history, artistry, and spirituality - took our breath away, lifting us to a higher understanding of who we are and who we can be," she tweeted. She predicted the cathedral would rise again.

Japan's government early Tuesday expressed sympathy and said it would consider sending support to the French government. "Its damage is a loss to the world and our hearts ache," said Yoshihide Suga, the chief cabinet secretary.

The Vatican said Pope Francis "has seen with shock and sadness the news of the terrible fire."

As the flames spread, Cardinal Timothy Dolan, the archbishop of New York, prayed at St. Patrick's Cathedral in Manhattan for intercession.

"God preserve this splendid house of prayer, and protect those battling the blaze," Dolan said in a statement.

Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo said many works of art and holy objects inside the church had been saved, but the art world was distressed about what might have been lost.

Barbara Drake Boehm, senior curator at the Metropolitan Museum of Art's medieval Cloisters branch in New York, was desolate about damage to the cathedral, which she called "one of the great monuments to the best of civilization."

"Civilization is just so fragile," Boehm told a reporter in a trembling voice. "This great hulking monument of stone has been there since 1163. It's come through so many trials."

Jeff Ament, bass player for Pearl Jam, remembered spending hours at the cathedral in his first visit, in 1991, with record executive Michael Goldstone.

"Thinking about Paris," Ament tweeted, with photos of the cathedral.

U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres tweeted that he's "horrified," calling the cathedral "a unique example of world heritage."

In Russia, the Russian Orthodox Church's secretary for inter-Christian relations Hieromonk Stefan called the fire "a tragedy for the entire Christian world and for all who appreciate the cultural significance of this temple," the state news agency RIA-Novosti reported:

On Twitter, Trump suggested using planes to drop water on the flames. France's Civil Security agency said that wasn't feasible.

"All means are being used, except for water-bombing aircrafts which, if used, could lead to the collapse of the entire structure of the cathedral," the agency tweeted.

___

Associated Press reporters Jocelyn Noveck and Kiley Armstrong in New York, Jim Heintz in Moscow, Edith M. Lederer at the United Nations, and Samuel Petrequin in Paris contributed to this report.

___

Follow Andrew Selsky on Twitter at https://twitter.com/andrewselsky

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,736
    pjhawks said:
    ok so i found this strangely odd.   story in Philly Inquirer today about reactions to fire has quotes from the likes of the Obama's,  religious leaders around the world, and pearl jam bassist jeff ament (from twitter). see story below.

The world reacted with shock and prayers to the massive fire at the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, united in grief and in solidarity with the people of France.

As the flames tore through the 12th-century cathedral, Spain's prime minister offered France the help of his country in the recovery.

The fire is a "catastrophe for France, for Spain and for Europe," Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez tweeted Monday, adding that the flames are destroying "850 years of history, architecture, painting and sculpture."

French President Emmanuel Macron told reporters near the scene that he will seek international help, including from the "greatest talents" in the world, to rebuild Notre Dame.

President Donald Trump, speaking at an appearance in Minnesota, spoke of the "terrible, terrible fire" that devastated "one of the great treasures of the world."

"It's a part of our growing up, it's a part of our culture, it's a part of our lives," Trump said of the landmark.

The Notre Dame Cathedral, situated on an island in the Seine River in the heart of Paris, is one of the world's most visited tourist destinations, drawing some 13 million people each year. The fire's emotional impact was widely felt. People from all over described in Facebook posts how they cried when they heard about the fire.

Former President Barack Obama posted an old photo of himself, his wife Michelle and their two daughters lighting candles in the cathedral.

"Notre Dame is one of the world's great treasures, and we're thinking of the people of France in your time of grief," Obama said on Twitter. Michelle Obama, who was in Paris on Monday on a book tour, said "my heart aches with the people of France."

"The majesty of Notre Dame - the history, artistry, and spirituality - took our breath away, lifting us to a higher understanding of who we are and who we can be," she tweeted. She predicted the cathedral would rise again.

Japan's government early Tuesday expressed sympathy and said it would consider sending support to the French government. "Its damage is a loss to the world and our hearts ache," said Yoshihide Suga, the chief cabinet secretary.

The Vatican said Pope Francis "has seen with shock and sadness the news of the terrible fire."

As the flames spread, Cardinal Timothy Dolan, the archbishop of New York, prayed at St. Patrick's Cathedral in Manhattan for intercession.

"God preserve this splendid house of prayer, and protect those battling the blaze," Dolan said in a statement.

Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo said many works of art and holy objects inside the church had been saved, but the art world was distressed about what might have been lost.

Barbara Drake Boehm, senior curator at the Metropolitan Museum of Art's medieval Cloisters branch in New York, was desolate about damage to the cathedral, which she called "one of the great monuments to the best of civilization."

"Civilization is just so fragile," Boehm told a reporter in a trembling voice. "This great hulking monument of stone has been there since 1163. It's come through so many trials."

Jeff Ament, bass player for Pearl Jam, remembered spending hours at the cathedral in his first visit, in 1991, with record executive Michael Goldstone.

U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres tweeted that he's "horrified," calling the cathedral "a unique example of world heritage."

In Russia, the Russian Orthodox Church's secretary for inter-Christian relations Hieromonk Stefan called the fire "a tragedy for the entire Christian world and for all who appreciate the cultural significance of this temple," the state news agency RIA-Novosti reported:

On Twitter, Trump suggested using planes to drop water on the flames. France's Civil Security agency said that wasn't feasible.

"All means are being used, except for water-bombing aircrafts which, if used, could lead to the collapse of the entire structure of the cathedral," the agency tweeted.

___

Associated Press reporters Jocelyn Noveck and Kiley Armstrong in New York, Jim Heintz in Moscow, Edith M. Lederer at the United Nations, and Samuel Petrequin in Paris contributed to this report.

___

Barack Obama, Jeff Ament.  Pretty famous dudes right there!  :smiley:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    tbergs said:
    njnancy said:
    tbergs said:

Yeah, I figured about the shape being like that on purpose, but just eerie seeing a large burning cross like that.

The 2nd photo is from Batman. That's a giant bat symbol.
    I agree it is eerie. 

Thanks for letting me know I was wrong about the second photo - sorry for jumping on you @eeriepadave . I was wrong. I can see the bat symbol now that I look at it. I am not up on Batman movies.

Everytime I see your location, Dave,  it reminds of all the time I spent there - I was in rehab in Malvern back in the 90's and my roommate at rehab lived in West Chester - you made a turn into a field and then over a tiny bridge that was two way but only one car could go over at a time (not that there was any real traffic) and then you travelled back and there was this whole secreted area with nice homes with large amounts of land. Kevin Bacon and his wife owned a house back there. She lived alone in her family home which was a restored barn. Really pretty. It was so quiet at night that I had trouble sleeping being so used to the noisy NJ suburbs of NYC. 

Our friendship fell apart  for unfortunate reasons, but we had a good 3 years of friendship and I spent a lot of time there. Random West Chester info. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    pjhawks said:

___

___

Barack Obama, Jeff Ament.  Pretty famous dudes right there!  :smiley:
    That was an interesting addition in the middle of politicians, religious leaders and art museum curators. But Jeff would also be considered a person in the arts so it makes sense - very cool.  Thanks.
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,474
    I'm just curious about a few things in regards to all the donations that are coming in to help rebuild it again. 
    Did they not have insurance on the building in case something bad happened?
    All these donations are great and hear that it's somewhere near a billion dollars now. I would surely think that is more than enough money to rebuild it.
    Also doesn't the church diocese have a shit ton of money they can put towards this on their own without all these extra donations?
    I just wish some of these large donors come put there money somewhere else that helps in a much better way than just being used on a structure. How about someone buying A bunch a the measles vaccine and donating it to Madagascar which has no vaccine at all and is the hot spot for this disease at this moment. Maybe they could build use some money to help build water filtration systems for some of these countries that have no clean water at all. 
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    BLACK35 said:
    I'm just curious about a few things in regards to all the donations that are coming in to help rebuild it again. 
    Did they not have insurance on the building in case something bad happened?
    All these donations are great and hear that it's somewhere near a billion dollars now. I would surely think that is more than enough money to rebuild it.
    Also doesn't the church diocese have a shit ton of money they can put towards this on their own without all these extra donations?
    I just wish some of these large donors come put there money somewhere else that helps in a much better way than just being used on a structure. How about someone buying A bunch a the measles vaccine and donating it to Madagascar which has no vaccine at all and is the hot spot for this disease at this moment. Maybe they could build use some money to help build water filtration systems for some of these countries that have no clean water at all. 
    You raise some excellent points.

Just goes to show where so many in the world priorities are.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    I am so bummed about this.  And yet I'm torn about the rebuild.  I guess it was a "working" church....but I kinda think stabilizing the remaining facade and leaving as is would be a potential option.  

I get the statements about the $ and using it on other things.  These national symbols have a lot of value though.  Regardless, it sucks that it caught fire.  Such a loss.  It is my #1 foreign "attraction" (for lack of a better word) that I have been too...well 1 or 2...with Pompeii in the mix.  Such a beautiful church in an amazing city.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,254
    edited April 2019
    So perhaps you might feel moved to make your own donation to help rebuild three churches in Louisiana that were burned recently, suspected arson by a local racist:

Edit to add: I don't seem to be able to add the link properly but you can copy and paste it into your browser.
    Post edited by curmudgeoness on
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,254
    I am so bummed about this.  And yet I'm torn about the rebuild.  I guess it was a "working" church....but I kinda think stabilizing the remaining facade and leaving as is would be a potential option.  

I get the statements about the $ and using it on other things.  These national symbols have a lot of value though.  Regardless, it sucks that it caught fire.  Such a loss.  It is my #1 foreign "attraction" (for lack of a better word) that I have been too...well 1 or 2...with Pompeii in the mix.  Such a beautiful church in an amazing city.

Hundreds of millions of dollars were donated by French billionaires. Could they have spent their money differently? Yes, but -- it's their money. I imagine that if something happened to the Statue of Liberty, Warren Buffett or Michael Bloomberg would step up immediately and do something similar -- and they still would have plenty of money left over for humanitarian causes (I don't know anything about how the French spend their wealth, but you can google Buffett and the "Giving Pledge").

As for the cost of the renovation, a billion dollars sounds like a lot. But I don't think it is. I nearly lost my mind some fifteen years ago when the town where I lived announced that it was going to cost $100M to remodel the existing high school. We are talking about a much larger, much, much older building, on very expensive real estate in an urban setting. Countless experts and specialists will be needed to do everything the right way. And the project could take many years.

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,474

Hundreds of millions of dollars were donated by French billionaires. Could they have spent their money differently? Yes, but -- it's their money. I imagine that if something happened to the Statue of Liberty, Warren Buffett or Michael Bloomberg would step up immediately and do something similar -- and they still would have plenty of money left over for humanitarian causes (I don't know anything about how the French spend their wealth, but you can google Buffett and the "Giving Pledge").

As for the cost of the renovation, a billion dollars sounds like a lot. But I don't think it is. I nearly lost my mind some fifteen years ago when the town where I lived announced that it was going to cost $100M to remodel the existing high school. We are talking about a much larger, much, much older building, on very expensive real estate in an urban setting. Countless experts and specialists will be needed to do everything the right way. And the project could take many years.

I agree, its their money and they can with it as they please. Sorry but a billion dollars is more than enough to do the renovations. You know how many contractors are going to look at these renos as a cash grab...a lot of them will.
    I'm also sure they make plenty of donations to other countless charities through-out the world during the year.
    Just would like to see us looking after each other world wide and help people in need.

2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options

Yeah my opinion about the rebuild is not really even about the $. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Why I Don't Care About Notre Dame Cathedral Burning, and Why You Shouldn't Either. 
    -----
    My morning began with the news of the Notre Dame Cathedral being lit up in flames. I shrugged my shoulders and went about my day. Went to a lecture composed around 350 students, and amongst the noise echoed the same question: "Did you hear about Notre Dame?" I did. I moved on.
    I went to lunch and the dining hall was filled with the same noise surrounding the same topic. I checked Twitter and it took up the top 3 spots on Trending. I couldn't escape this damn church.
    On Twitter, I ran across a tweet that praised the Cathedral for what it stood for, what was being lost, and why I should be sad too. I thought for a moment; nothing was being lost. They still had their texts, art, religion and the building could be rebuilt. No lives were lost. It was just a building, even the Holy texts warn against materialism. I didn't understand why everyone was upset, because I definitely wasn't.
    Instead, I thought about the battles of my ancestors and the Catholic church. The same institution that massacred millions of indigenous people across the Americas, stole their land, forcing them into schools away from their family to forget their culture and "savage" ways of living. This institution that enabled these founding fathers to steal Africans and force them into slavery and take them to their "New World." This same institution that excuses pedophilia and rape. That justifies xenophobia, Islamophobia, antisemitism, homophobia, and other types of hate. The same institution from which modern day racism is derived. The same institution that burned down the sacred sites of indigenous people, black churches, etc. Yet, they just lost a church?
    You see, I don't care about this building because it can be rebuilt and restored. My language, cannot be restored. My land cannot be given back. The lives that were taken cannot be brought back. The lives of the slaves that were brought here by force, cannot rest peacefully in their homeland. You see, I'm not bothered by the (almost) destruction of one building when its cultivator's destroyed traditions, languages, and lives of millions of people around the world, especially with the implications it still has on their descendants today.
    I don't care about this church burning down, and you really shouldn't either. But if you do, perhaps the material aspect of it, and your own internalized hatred of the "other" means more to you than the lives that were lost for you to live on the land [Canada] that you do today.

-Joe Roberts

A 1st nations person perspective.
    Give Peas A Chance…