Notre-Dame Cathedral Fire

1235»

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    It's a church, but it's more than just a church, it's an architectural and historic landmark. I would doubt that the majority of people who are donating are conceptualizing this in terms of donations to the Catholic church or rebuilding a place to pray. Certain  structures are iconic; as someone else mentioned, we might also feel loss if the Great Pyramid was destroyed by a bomb blast, for instance, or the Eiffel Tower. I think the discussion about WWJW is beside the point. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    France no longer has trees tall enough to rebuild Notre-Dame's roof as it was

https://www.thisisinsider.com/french-trees-to-rebuild-notre-dame-are-too-small-2019-4?utm_content=buffer3d887&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer-travel&fbclid=IwAR3UmxcAWdp1hLsjSWlNDIDCw4oXNrn0EgbJdxeIs-gj-GpBv54zxR16Z3w

Groupama insurance company is also offering to pay for 1,300 trees to re-build the church frame, which the company says would be 100-year-old oaks from the forests of Normandy, in keeping with the original construction.

Didn't Jesus teach not to want?  Not to build halls of worship. But rather to help those less fortunate.  I kind of agree with the folks saying the donations pouring in could be better spent. If the donors really followed Jesus and his supposed teachings, they would know he'd want them to help the hungry, the sick, the poor, the abused.  I'm not religious but it seems those who are don't follow the actual message they claim to follow & preach to others as much as they like to think.
    It is unfortunate from an architectural and artistic perspective, but no lives were lost.  And praying, if that is what one believes in, is free; you don't need a giant cathedral to do so.
    These two posts together make a good point which is (for me anyway) that a much better place to feel closer to the divine would be to linger among 100 year old trees rather than have them cut down. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    brianlux said:

https://www.thisisinsider.com/french-trees-to-rebuild-notre-dame-are-too-small-2019-4?utm_content=buffer3d887&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer-travel&fbclid=IwAR3UmxcAWdp1hLsjSWlNDIDCw4oXNrn0EgbJdxeIs-gj-GpBv54zxR16Z3w

Groupama insurance company is also offering to pay for 1,300 trees to re-build the church frame, which the company says would be 100-year-old oaks from the forests of Normandy, in keeping with the original construction.

Didn't Jesus teach not to want?  Not to build halls of worship. But rather to help those less fortunate.  I kind of agree with the folks saying the donations pouring in could be better spent. If the donors really followed Jesus and his supposed teachings, they would know he'd want them to help the hungry, the sick, the poor, the abused.  I'm not religious but it seems those who are don't follow the actual message they claim to follow & preach to others as much as they like to think.
    It is unfortunate from an architectural and artistic perspective, but no lives were lost.  And praying, if that is what one believes in, is free; you don't need a giant cathedral to do so.
    These two posts together make a good point which is (for me anyway) that a much better place to feel closer to the divine would be to linger among 100 year old trees rather than have them cut down. 
    yeah, that actually bothered me even more. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

brianlux said:

It's not like they couldn't find other ways to support the roof.  If I recall correctly from reading elsewhere, the wooden beams don't show anyway and they're WOOD- they're flammable!  It would make more sense to use another material- something light, strong and fireproof or fire-resistant.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

It's not like they couldn't find other ways to support the roof.  If I recall correctly from reading elsewhere, the wooden beams don't show anyway and they're WOOD- they're flammable!  It would make more sense to use another material- something light, strong and fireproof or fire-resistant.
    but hey...."tradition!"
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    I don't know Hugh, I get the connection.  Heck I have it.  I was able to visit and wanted to take my daughter there. Talked about going this summer but doing something different.  It's not about the religion to me, it's about history/architecture.  Getting to see something that I find to be so awesome that was built so long ago and has "lived" through so much.  It's a loss.

Now - as for the $ to fix, it's a bit strange but people can do whatever they want with the $.  It would never happen, but it would be extremely cool if the Vatican said "Don't worry, we will cover all of the expenses...take all the other pledge $ and give to ...."  That would be amazing, provide so much good in the world.  But it won't happen. 

I get that it's a building to some but I also get that it is more to others.  I will say though...I do think that it should be redone differently than it was done.  Do it as sustainably as possible.  Don't cut down huge trees just because that is what was done.  Do it with an eye to history but by modern standards.  If you remake it, make it better in that way. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I understand that there is to be a design competition to plan the reconstruction, so it doesn’t sound like it is going to simply be a rebuild for “tradition” anyway. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    I understand that there is to be a design competition to plan the reconstruction, so it doesn’t sound like it is going to simply be a rebuild for “tradition” anyway. 
    That's good.
    hippiemom = goodness
    edited April 2019
    I don't know Hugh, I get the connection.  Heck I have it.  I was able to visit and wanted to take my daughter there. Talked about going this summer but doing something different.  It's not about the religion to me, it's about history/architecture.  Getting to see something that I find to be so awesome that was built so long ago and has "lived" through so much.  It's a loss.

Now - as for the $ to fix, it's a bit strange but people can do whatever they want with the $.  It would never happen, but it would be extremely cool if the Vatican said "Don't worry, we will cover all of the expenses...take all the other pledge $ and give to ...."  That would be amazing, provide so much good in the world.  But it won't happen. 

I get that it's a building to some but I also get that it is more to others.  I will say though...I do think that it should be redone differently than it was done.  Do it as sustainably as possible.  Don't cut down huge trees just because that is what was done.  Do it with an eye to history but by modern standards.  If you remake it, make it better in that way. 
    yes, as I said, I get the connection some have to it, I just don't have it. 

something similar happened just minutes from where I live. 

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/burned-into-memory-488756061.html
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    fire sprinklers would be a good addition.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:

Nature is the best Cathedral, Brian...you are so correct.  Hopefully, they rebuild without cutting down a bunch of trees...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

There are likely other ways and hopefully, they get utilized...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    You could use trees which are a renewable resource or you could mine ore out of a mountain in China, smelt and refine it using coal and freight it across the ocean. 
    edited April 2019
    Jason P said:
    You could use trees which are a renewable resource or you could mine ore out of a mountain in China, smelt and refine it using coal and freight it across the ocean. 
    Yes, Jason, or you could use recycled steel or hemp boards made from the nitrogen fixing plant cannabis, a natural, renewable resource that takes a few months to grow rather than 100 years.

If you are ok standing under a giant roof with structural members made out of weeds, more power to you.  ;)

Im most certain they will make it via the same methods used almost 800 years ago to keep’n It real, yo. Even though they didn’t use a bucket brigade to put the fire out. 
  • TristeluneTristelune Posts: 318
    Great artwork by Bob Staake.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    180.000 bees living in the Notre Dame survived!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

I guess some priest went into the burning church to save this.  Flip it over and it says made in China...
    Give Peas A Chance…

I guess some priest went into the burning church to save this.  Flip it over and it says made in China...
    It's made from hemp.  If you were to smoke some of it you would have a religious experience to beat all.

• njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    edited April 2019
    brianlux said:

It's made from hemp.  If you were to smoke some of it you would have a religious experience to beat all.
    The fire chaplain was the one whose mission was to go in and save it because he knew exactly where it was. Then his job was to choose what other art/artifacts to save.  If we are going to go with the symbolism - they only possess one thorn from the crown of thorns so this was built to encase it. 

There is no way that the entire crown of thorns is intact, if it in fact exists, and one church would not receive all the pieces that remain. The pieces would be in several churches/cathedrals around the world. 

EDIT TO ADD - My Catholic school upbringing gave me pangs of guilt in my doubt over its existence, esp on Holy Saturday. Catholic guilt can be a strong force, even in the non practicing. 
    Post edited by njnancy on
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    180.000 bees living in the Notre Dame survived!
    That's fantastic....I'm not one ofbthe people mad about the rebuilding donations, but if everyone would redirect the donations to saving the bee population worldwide, that would make me very happy.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:

The fire chaplain was the one whose mission was to go in and save it because he knew exactly where it was. Then his job was to choose what other art/artifacts to save.  If we are going to go with the symbolism - they only possess one thorn from the crown of thorns so this was built to encase it. 

There is no way that the entire crown of thorns is intact, if it in fact exists, and one church would not receive all the pieces that remain. The pieces would be in several churches/cathedrals around the world. 

EDIT TO ADD - My Catholic school upbringing gave me pangs of guilt in my doubt over its existence, esp on Holy Saturday. Catholic guilt can be a strong force, even in the non practicing. 
    Thanks for the excellent description...much appreciated.  
    Give Peas A Chance…