Options

Notre-Dame Cathedral Fire

tbergstbergs Posts: 9,232
I hope this doesn't turn out to be an arson or related to some intentional act.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/15/world/europe/notre-dame-fire.html
It's a hopeless situation...

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524
    edited April 2019
    Total loss. Spire just collapsed. It's totally engulfed. So awful. :( Heartbreaking.
    Most seem to think it was from the construction/renos going on there.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Wow, just devasting.  Hope this was not intentional.  I also heard what PJ_Soul has heard.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,946
    Fuck...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

“It hurts to watch this. The cathedral is the symbol, the heart of Paris,” said Pierre-Eric Trimovillas, 32. The crowd gasped and cried in horror as the spire fell, Mr. Trimovillas said, adding, “Paris is beheaded.”

Angelique de Almeida, 32, watched the fire through tears. “We are going to lose her, everything is up in flames,” she said. “We lose this, we lose Paris. It is apocalyptic. And this is the Holy Week.”

:(

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    It’s just awful, I hope they can save the main building. And it’s fucking sad that automatically  pretty much everyone’s first thought goes to arson/terrorism... tells a lot about the world we live in  :-(
  • Options
    JPPJ84 said:
    It’s just awful, I hope they can save the main building. And it’s fucking sad that automatically  pretty much everyone’s first thought goes to arson/terrorism... tells a lot about the world we live in  :-(
    My first thought went to some stupid tourist doing something stupid.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,539
    It was undergoing renovation 

Very sad to see
    Always loved to visit it
  • Options
  • Options
    Still remember going there in 2002 with my then girlfriend. 
  • Options
  • Options
    CBS News just reported that the Firefighters have turned their attention to saving the artwork...I wonder if they figure they can no longer save much of the building.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    CBS News just reported that the Firefighters have turned their attention to saving the artwork...I wonder if they figure they can no longer save much of the building.

Man, to be the person having to make that call...
  • Options

Man, to be the person having to make that call...
    I agree.  A spokesperson for the Cathedral just told CBS News that everything is burning.  Most importantly there is no loss of life.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937

Cried a little bit when I watched that spire go down. To any French people reading this, I'm so sorry for your loss. Yes, it's only a building, but it's a tragedy to lose such an important landmark.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,232
    Speculation is that once most of the wood is gone, a lot of the stone will start to crumble because it has been used for bracing areas that had weakened over the years. What a terrible loss.

Yes, at least no one has been injured or killed though.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,087
    Awful. Was just talking about taking my daughter there in the next 1-3 years.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Stupid thing to speculate on now. But any chance they could restore/rebuild it as an exact replica?

Guess the cost would be to huge these days to undertake such a thing maybe...
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,383
    We were planning to visit during our first European trip in the Fall. So sad.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,286
    What a bummer to see such historical beauty go down in Flames sad day ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Stupid thing to speculate on now. But any chance they could restore/rebuild it as an exact replica?

I am watching CBS News...that question was brought up.  As part of the renovation, they documented the entire building which will be very useful in reconstruction...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    Apparently all/most the artwork has been saved 
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    edited April 2019

I saw a tweet saying that it will be rebuilt, no details. Many cathedrals/places of worship were destroyed in the bombings in WW2 and were rebuilt. The tweeter said that spire that just went down was from the 1800s. I'll see if I can find the tweet again, hope I got those details right.

If you search Twitter for "rebuilt"...there are many.
    https://twitter.com/jakebackpack/status/1117848805171286016

Post edited by Kat on
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Aw man.  Terrible.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Kat said:

I saw a tweet saying that it will be rebuilt, no details. Many cathedrals/places of worship were destroyed in the bombings in WW2 and were rebuilt. The tweeter said that spire that just went down was from the 1800s. I'll see if I can find the tweet again, hope I got those details right.

That's nice. Instead of "now we'll fit a scryscraper here"
  • Options
    An expert on CBS News says he doubts they were able to save much artwork or artifacts...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    Kat said:

That's nice. Instead of "now we'll fit a scryscraper here"
    Well, it's Twitter and there are some icky posts too. Most are on the high road though.

Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    Sad to see history go up in flames.

I don't know how you can truly rebuild something that historic if it is a total loss.  It would just be a replica.  Might as will rebuild it in Nashville next to the Parthenon.
  • Options
    LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    edited April 2019

I guess it will depend of what they will be able to save.

They used to say that a fire under the roof would be catastophic... they were right. http://www.notredamedeparis.fr/en/la-cathedrale/architecture/la-charpente/

Post edited by Longueuil on
  • Options
    TristeluneTristelune Posts: 318
    They saved artworks at the beginning (they’re located on the ground floor) but the next hours will be critical and I hope it won’t collapse. I lived there and have no doubt it will be rebuilt but this will be a very long process, probably talking about decades.