Outrage Culture

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    benjs said:
    One more point.. It's becoming increasingly simple to program your production capacity rather than hire it. We're now getting dangerously sophisticated with our rate of machine learning (what's colloquially called artificial intelligence). There is no way that businesses are ready to deny themselves efficiencies that come at greatly reduced costs, and both skilled and unskilled workers risk becoming redundant. This will become an epidemic of unemployment, and a further concentration of wealth, until your wealth is defined by how many robots you control. 
    Good point, Ben.  And with unemployment comes boredom which is eased by staying glued to the iPhone or TV, further reducing creativity which is the very antidote to living in a machine world. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    PJ_Soul said:
    I said what matters with the Liam Neeson thing is how black people feel about it. Well this is just one black person (who I happen to really like as a media personality), but his thoughts about it mean more to me than any white person's. (No idea if this fb link will work for people, but it's not on YouTube yet)

That was a terrific take. I agree with everything he said there. Key points for me:

1) wanting a world where people offer this stuff up instead of “getting caught”
    2) No incentive/reward for atonement (can’t rememebr his exact words)
    3) People do have to admit it is a racist thought they had and not jump to “I’m not racist” but without #2 above that won’t be happening.

I thought his point about how and where it was said was interesting. It shouldn’t matter but it does.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • To the more recent comments in this thread... there have been multiple occasions where I have found some pretty honest questions/comments pertaining to race to have been attacked by the masses here in this forum.

In particular: the cop abuse thread where people have questioned crime rates in inner cities and the demographics associated with them... or some of the terrorist act threads (that are somewhat in the past fortunately) where people have questioned religion.

I think there are legitimate conversations that need to be had without people fearing the ostracization that comes with questioning 'the elephant in the room' (so to speak). 

Don't get me wrong. There have been posts that have fallen well outside the levels of appropriateness and I am not saying they should be respected. I do think that these types of conversations need to be handled somewhat delicately given the nature of them; however, even when attempts are made to approach the subject sensitively... the response is typically scornful. 
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    brianlux said:
    see Tom Brokaw's comments on meet the press and the subsequent backlash. 

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/27/media/tom-brokaw-nbc-meet-the-press/index.html
    Well, I'm not sure what's wrong with what Brokaw said.  I'd like to know.  Seems to me, if I decided to permanently  move to Italy, I would want to learn Italian.  If I were to move permanently to Guadalajara, I would want to learn to speak Spanish.  And visa versa.  How can one expect to get on well in another country if you don't learn the language spoken there?

So what did Brokaw say that was wrong?
    I agree, I don't think he said anything wrong. all he said was basically that to be as successful as one can hope for in america, learning the culture and the language is an essential part of that. 

but nope. OUTRAGE. he's a racist! he's xenophobic! 

of course, it bothers me when people think that just because someone lives in canada or the US that they are obligated to learn and speak english. I don't see his comments as saying that though. 
    I remember the 1st thing I wanted & had to learn when I arrived in US back in 71 was to learn English plus I moved into neighborhood with no other Spanish families .
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    To the more recent comments in this thread... there have been multiple occasions where I have found some pretty honest questions/comments pertaining to race to have been attacked by the masses here in this forum.

In particular: the cop abuse thread where people have questioned crime rates in inner cities and the demographics associated with them... or some of the terrorist act threads (that are somewhat in the past fortunately) where people have questioned religion.

I think there are legitimate conversations that need to be had without people fearing the ostracization that comes with questioning 'the elephant in the room' (so to speak). 

Don't get me wrong. There have been posts that have fallen well outside the levels of appropriateness and I am not saying they should be respected. I do think that these types of conversations need to be handled somewhat delicately given the nature of them; however, even when attempts are made to approach the subject sensitively... the response is typically scornful. 
    agreed 100%. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• To the more recent comments in this thread... there have been multiple occasions where I have found some pretty honest questions/comments pertaining to race to have been attacked by the masses here in this forum.

agreed 100%. 
    Lol

100%?

Okay... timeout.

Let me review what I wrote. What madness is this?
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    To the more recent comments in this thread... there have been multiple occasions where I have found some pretty honest questions/comments pertaining to race to have been attacked by the masses here in this forum.

agreed 100%. 
    Lol

100%?

Okay... timeout.

Ummm I agree with you to. So perhaps you mistyped something? ;)
    hippiemom = goodness

agreed 100%. 
    Lol

100%?

Okay... timeout.

Ummm I agree with you to. So perhaps you mistyped something? ;)

I think I had an out of mind experience or something like that?
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    Late to is party, and not trying to interrupt the convo...

Regarding “outrage culture” and social media /news anxiety. I was way deep into the Twitter/Facebook/Cable news feedback loop, and it was really fucking with my metal health and driving my wife a little nuts. At the start of the year, I deleted Twitter and facebook off of my cellphone (don’t have a laptop and can’t access those sites at the office) and stopped watching the morning political talk shows/news and started going to the gym and listening to Grateful Dead bootlegs instead. 

What a difference. I’ve noticed I’m much calmer, not nearly as wired, and sleeping better. The wife is happier as well. 

Regarding “outrage culture” and social media /news anxiety. I was way deep into the Twitter/Facebook/Cable news feedback loop, and it was really fucking with my metal health and driving my wife a little nuts. At the start of the year, I deleted Twitter and facebook off of my cellphone (don’t have a laptop and can’t access those sites at the office) and stopped watching the morning political talk shows/news and started going to the gym and listening to Grateful Dead bootlegs instead. 

What a difference. I’ve noticed I’m much calmer, not nearly as wired, and sleeping better. The wife is happier as well. 
    it really can have a profound affect. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

so on April Fool's Day, Justin Bieber pulled a prank that his wife was expecting. Everyone is now in a tizzy that this was highly insensitive to those who can't conceive or have had miscarriages, etc. and he had to make a public apology. 

unbelievable. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    I always tend to read this thread title as "Orange Culture" because this AMT board is so Trumpy.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    so on April Fool's Day, Justin Bieber pulled a prank that his wife was expecting. Everyone is now in a tizzy that this was highly insensitive to those who can't conceive or have had miscarriages, etc. and he had to make a public apology. 

unbelievable. 
    I wonder how much of this was "outrage to all things Justin Bieber."
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    OnWis97 said:

unbelievable. 
    not from what I read. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    OnWis97 said:

unbelievable. 
    not from what I read. 
    Did this take place all on Twitter? 

If so, more proof that it's a cesspool. 
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Is that why there were so many stories on the beaver...I generally skip over anything related to that clown.  I wonder if Sweden will take him...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Is that why there were so many stories on the beaver...I generally skip over anything related to that clown.  I wonder if Sweden will take him...
    I was just checking out what was "trending" as I have unfollowed almost everyone on there so I don't see the daily american bullshit. I came across that, and I didn't click on it because it was beiber, I clicked on it b/c of the headline and how absurd it seemed. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

dignin said:
    OnWis97 said:

unbelievable. 
    not from what I read. 

that's where I saw it, yes. 

I don't think you need proof that it is. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    dignin said:
    OnWis97 said:

unbelievable. 
    not from what I read. 

I actually saw real news articles about it too.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I was just checking out what was "trending" as I have unfollowed almost everyone on there so I don't see the daily american bullshit. I came across that, and I didn't click on it because it was beiber, I clicked on it b/c of the headline and how absurd it seemed. 
    Well, I do agree it's crazy.  But as Onwise said maybe it's just because Beiber, he generates such a response with anything he does.  Anyways he also is suffering from mental health issues (that much I do know), maybe people can cut him a little slack.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    dignin said:
    OnWis97 said:

unbelievable. 
    not from what I read. 

Twitter is a cesspool, we agree on that... as is pretty much all of social media
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    OnWis97 said:

unbelievable. 
    not from what I read. 

I actually saw real news articles about it too.
    Ugh.
    my2hands said:
    dignin said:
    OnWis97 said:

unbelievable. 
    not from what I read. 

Twitter is a cesspool, we agree on that... as is pretty much all of social media
    In full agreement. Got off all of it, except here and Reddit.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

Smart man

https://youtu.be/jYR3sBmomgQ
    dignin said:
    my2hands said:
    dignin said:
    OnWis97 said:

unbelievable. 
    not from what I read. 

never been on reddit. isn't that one of the worst of them all?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    dignin said:
    my2hands said:
    dignin said:
    OnWis97 said:

unbelievable. 
    not from what I read. 

Depends on what you use it for. The PJ bootlegs reddit that I help moderate (https://old.reddit.com/r/PearlJamBootlegs/) is cool. I also use reddit for streaming NFL and MLB games (I'm watching the Phillies at work right now). But for discussions? It's the absolute worst. I've only really visited the NFL Reddit page for football discussions, and it's beyond a cesspool. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    People need to choose their battles (news, shoes, or otherwise).

Be outraged, offended?  Fine, go nurse those wounds and then make a beeline to Twitter or wherever else you have a "voice".  Really, do little Justin's thoughts and actions have an impact on anyone but himself?

To take or demand action from others over something so trivial puts the onus on those folks.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    dignin said:
    my2hands said:
    dignin said:
    OnWis97 said:

unbelievable. 
    not from what I read. 

Reddit is a wonderful source of information. For instance, if I'm trying to figure out something technical, like a fix for some technical problem, I add "reddit" to my Google search. It's the best place for finding fixes that work.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    OnWis97 said:

unbelievable. 
    not from what I read. 
    I was like 80% joking...Biebs does arouse some unnecessary anger in people, but I figured this was pretty much what you were implying it was.  As a libruhl that gets frustrated with the way terms like "PC" and "over-sensitivity" are very cavalierly used, I think this is ridiculous.  Maybe that means any adult TV character with a father still alive should piss me off since mine died when I was 33.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Seems like just yesterday that our Biebs had to resort to egging his neighbor's house to achieve national debate.  Ahh, how time flies