Options

Outrage Culture

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,849
    Still waiting on another. It won’t be coming. I think the point has been made: you can make some pretty safe assumptions about MAGAs.

To clarify... I don’t think it would be fair to say one can safely stereotype any Trump supporter- just the really enthusiastic ones that wear the team gear.

On to the next topic.
    I like the troop reduction in Syria and Afghanistan.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I wonder what is behind it?
    Maybe as a human race we are all very angry and just use anything to rage to to alleviate our human suffering?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,820
    see Tom Brokaw's comments on meet the press and the subsequent backlash. 

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/27/media/tom-brokaw-nbc-meet-the-press/index.html
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    The outrage culture made this jaut
    another trump thread
    yep
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    The outrage culture made this jaut
    another trump thread
    yep
    When I glance at this thread on my "participated" list, I keep reading it as "Orange Culture," which would suggest that it's a Trump thread. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:
    Take care of yourself. Wish you’d stay 
    Yeah, I second that, HFD.  You're a good guy with a reasonable outlook on things.  If you leave, this place is less than it is with you here.
    I’ve had to refrain from posting here to tend to my mental health. HFD, if you’re in the same boat, I hope you’re okay, and feel free to reach out. As was mentioned, this place will be less without you, but I find it increasingly toxic here, and there’s enough shit that it’s important to take care of yourself. The degree of fucked up-ness really feels unprecedented.
    i'm fine, benjs. honestly better than i have been in some time, which has afforded me some clarity. i  often come here for the sole reason of hoping to see your posts. you are honestly the single wisest and most intelligent and articulate person i have come across here. i have learned so much from you over the years. 

i have noticed your impatience with nonsense here lately, and it has bothered me. i don't blame you whatsoever. it just sort of confirmed to me my own issues with online political engagement. 
    I'm beyond flattered, HFD. Thank you so much for your kind words, but anyone can come up with my thoughts because they're just based on the logic that's available and irrefutable. People just have to be committed to finding that data, which often forces us to pick a side (either the one where we know we're right or the one where we don't necessarily know), and that's why I have such a bone to pick with divisive rhetoric and ego: together, the combination quells the pursuit of true knowledge and prolongs our collective ignorance.

As for my impatience, it's because I'm starting to see the futility of it all, and there's nothing that depresses me more than a problem with no solution. I'll be 29 in a few days, life is too short, I have enough development to do away from a computer screen to get where I want to be, and I truly believe our days are numbered, so my energy has to be reserved where it can have meaningful impact. I wish I knew where I could find that.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs said:
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:
    Yeah, I second that, HFD.  You're a good guy with a reasonable outlook on things.  If you leave, this place is less than it is with you here.
    I’ve had to refrain from posting here to tend to my mental health. HFD, if you’re in the same boat, I hope you’re okay, and feel free to reach out. As was mentioned, this place will be less without you, but I find it increasingly toxic here, and there’s enough shit that it’s important to take care of yourself. The degree of fucked up-ness really feels unprecedented.
    i'm fine, benjs. honestly better than i have been in some time, which has afforded me some clarity. i  often come here for the sole reason of hoping to see your posts. you are honestly the single wisest and most intelligent and articulate person i have come across here. i have learned so much from you over the years. 

i have noticed your impatience with nonsense here lately, and it has bothered me. i don't blame you whatsoever. it just sort of confirmed to me my own issues with online political engagement. 
    I'm beyond flattered, HFD. Thank you so much for your kind words, but anyone can come up with my thoughts because they're just based on the logic that's available and irrefutable. People just have to be committed to finding that data, which often forces us to pick a side (either the one where we know we're right or the one where we don't necessarily know), and that's why I have such a bone to pick with divisive rhetoric and ego: together, the combination quells the pursuit of true knowledge and prolongs our collective ignorance.

As for my impatience, it's because I'm starting to see the futility of it all, and there's nothing that depresses me more than a problem with no solution. I'll be 29 in a few days, life is too short, I have enough development to do away from a computer screen to get where I want to be, and I truly believe our days are numbered, so my energy has to be reserved where it can have meaningful impact. I wish I knew where I could find that.
    I didn't even own a computer at 29. I used my parents pc here and there to check my hotmail account for the barrage of forwarded "jokes". Ah, the dreaded subject line of "FWD:".

I'm now 44. Now those emails don't seem quite so annoying. I wish we could go back to that. 

our days are numbered? in what way? climate? 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687

Well, I'm not sure what's wrong with what Brokaw said.  I'd like to know.  Seems to me, if I decided to permanently  move to Italy, I would want to learn Italian.  If I were to move permanently to Guadalajara, I would want to learn to speak Spanish.  And visa versa.  How can one expect to get on well in another country if you don't learn the language spoken there?

So what did Brokaw say that was wrong?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    benjs said:
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:

I didn't even own a computer at 29. I used my parents pc here and there to check my hotmail account for the barrage of forwarded "jokes". Ah, the dreaded subject line of "FWD:".

I'm now 44. Now those emails don't seem quite so annoying. I wish we could go back to that. 

1. Intentional exploitative efforts by appointed institutions to keep humans uneducated and misled 
    2. Lack of common goal
    3. Collective apathy and ego (unless you feel that's cyclical - I don't see it though)
    4. Greed
    5. Collective distrust in our institutions
    6. Climate
    7. Nuclear armament

In isolation, with enough cohesive planning, these could be resolvable. Here are some of the non-starters that come to mind that make me conclude our days are numbered.

1. Countering climate change at this point will require concessions from either individuals who are unwilling to make them, or from institutions made up of greedy persons unwilling to make changes and risk their careers. 
    2. Climate change? Women's rights? Russia? Israel/Palestine? I can't find two people in my house that agree on what's most important. Alternatively, ask an American about the Vietnam War and I suspect you'd have seen unity back then
    3. I've said it numerous times here, but we prioritize being right over communicating in a language of logic. Until we change what we value most (communicating in truths), this perpetuates division. 
    4. Our concept of pain is directly proportional to those we've experienced (not to those we haven't), and as a result, we prioritize our pains over foreign ones we do mental gymnastics to ignore their existence
    5. Our institutions have collectively earned so little trust, that the first noble one that does come (if it comes) will be met with major skepticism and risks our ability to have a 'lead' institution
    6. We consider collective change "what has to be done" with no semblance of planning collective change. Mass mobilization does not organically happen! It takes major time and energy and cohesion. Today, we make grand plans of change (all we need to do is not eat meat) and trivialize the energy it takes to mobilize to the point where we just skip step 1 in our plans.
    7. Playing "whose balls are bigger" is dangerous with nuclear weapons, especially in the pressure cooker that is today's world.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:

Well, I'm not sure what's wrong with what Brokaw said.  I'd like to know.  Seems to me, if I decided to permanently  move to Italy, I would want to learn Italian.  If I were to move permanently to Guadalajara, I would want to learn to speak Spanish.  And visa versa.  How can one expect to get on well in another country if you don't learn the language spoken there?

He didn't say anything that was wrong.  That's partly why I think HFD created this thread.  people overreact today, everybody wants to get outraged about nothing.  Look at those kids, the internet and the news kept beating a dead horse.  And then when I thought we heard enough about these kids more articles appeared.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    brianlux said:

I agree, I don't think he said anything wrong. all he said was basically that to be as successful as one can hope for in america, learning the culture and the language is an essential part of that. 

but nope. OUTRAGE. he's a racist! he's xenophobic! 

of course, it bothers me when people think that just because someone lives in canada or the US that they are obligated to learn and speak english. I don't see his comments as saying that though. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    benjs said:
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:

LOL.  I was reading the first paragraph thinking "oh, this guy's a bit older."  

Then I read the bold.  I, too, am 44.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    benjs said:
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:

LOL.  I was reading the first paragraph thinking "oh, this guy's a bit older."  

Then I read the bold.  I, too, am 44.
    yeah, i was a bit late to the computer/internet age. didn't care. then i discovered pj b sides on torrent sites. there was no going back. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    brianlux said:

I agree, I don't think he said anything wrong. all he said was basically that to be as successful as one can hope for in america, learning the culture and the language is an essential part of that. 

of course, it bothers me when people think that just because someone lives in canada or the US that they are obligated to learn and speak english. I don't see his comments as saying that though. 

But is that really what people are arguing against?

I haven't read anything about this other than the posted article. I'm certainly not going to read through thousands of twitter posts. But from the featured comments in the article, it looks like people aren't arguing against the need to "assimilate", to learn English, or any of the rest of that to be successful; they were arguing against the idea that that isn't already happening. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    One more point.. It's becoming increasingly simple to program your production capacity rather than hire it. We're now getting dangerously sophisticated with our rate of machine learning (what's colloquially called artificial intelligence). There is no way that businesses are ready to deny themselves efficiencies that come at greatly reduced costs, and both skilled and unskilled workers risk becoming redundant. This will become an epidemic of unemployment, and a further concentration of wealth, until your wealth is defined by how many robots you control. 

EV
  • Options
    brianlux said:

I haven't read anything about this other than the posted article. I'm certainly not going to read through thousands of twitter posts. But from the featured comments in the article, it looks like people aren't arguing against the need to "assimilate", to learn English, or any of the rest of that to be successful; they were arguing against the idea that that isn't already happening. 
    maybe it is, and maybe that was their point. that wasn't what I got from it, but you could be right. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    brianlux said:

maybe it is, and maybe that was their point. that wasn't what I got from it, but you could be right. 
    This comment is indicative of what I mean:

"Hispanics are no less American for embracing their country of origin or that of their ancestors ... being bicultural and bilingual is a strength in an increasingly multi-ethnic, multilingual society," he said.

And he's absolutely right - being bilingual is a benefit, not a drawback. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    brianlux said:

This comment is indicative of what I mean:

"Hispanics are no less American for embracing their country of origin or that of their ancestors ... being bicultural and bilingual is a strength in an increasingly multi-ethnic, multilingual society," he said.

And he's absolutely right - being bilingual is a benefit, not a drawback. 
    I guess I just didn't take Brokaw as saying that at all. I took him as saying for them to add to their linguistic and cultural repertoire, not abandon anything. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Liam Neeson is the focus of some's current outrage. this is a perfect take on it:

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Liam Neeson is the focus of some's current outrage. this is a perfect take on it:

Yeah it's dumb to be outraged by what some actor thought to himself decades ago....but that was pretty dumb of him to bring it up. Of course there'd be a backlash, whether it's justified or not. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options

Yeah it's dumb to be outraged by what some actor thought to himself decades ago....but that was pretty dumb of him to bring it up. Of course there'd be a backlash, whether it's justified or not. 
    the problem is, it just goes to show that honesty doesn't pay. in his head, he's probably trying to speak up about something that he understands, and wants to start an honest conversation about it, thinking "I'm not racist, so this shouldn't be an issue". But then he gets pounced on for being a racist and contemplating a hate crime. it's absurd. 

the SJW just don't fucking care about potentially ruining someone's life, which, in many cases, is exactly what happens. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

the problem is, it just goes to show that honesty doesn't pay. in his head, he's probably trying to speak up about something that he understands, and wants to start an honest conversation about it, thinking "I'm not racist, so this shouldn't be an issue". But then he gets pounced on for being a racist and contemplating a hate crime. it's absurd. 

the SJW just don't fucking care about potentially ruining someone's life, which, in many cases, is exactly what happens. 
    Yeah it's really not an issue of racism, or Neeson or anything specific to this story. People have become like sharks. They smell blood, and they attack with a mob mentality. I still think it was foolish of Neeson to even bring this up unprompted. And he's a very famous actor so whatever he says is going to get reported on. What I hate is when normal everyday people get caught on camera doing or saying something that they shouldn't have, and it goes viral and then, as you noted, their life could be ruined. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options

Yeah it's really not an issue of racism, or Neeson or anything specific to this story. People have become like sharks. They smell blood, and they attack with a mob mentality. I still think it was foolish of Neeson to even bring this up unprompted. And he's a very famous actor so whatever he says is going to get reported on. What I hate is when normal everyday people get caught on camera doing or saying something that they shouldn't have, and it goes viral and then, as you noted, their life could be ruined. 
    it's just that people have forgotten how to have a rational conversation. it is a real problem. you see it here all the time. some people have a real problem listening. they are just waiting for their turn to talk. now, they are waiting for their turn to pounce. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,087

Yup and it shows....don’t have an open and honest conversation 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524
    edited February 2019

The outrage is really stupid and depressing .... almost as stupid as Liam Neeson was for telling that story to the media. WTF was he thinking?
    What are black people saying about this btw? Their opinions about it are literally the only ones that matter anyhow.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

The outrage is really stupid and depressing .... almost as stupid as Liam Neeson was for telling that story to the media. WTF was he thinking?
    What are black people saying about this btw? Their opinions about it are literally the only ones that matter anyhow.
    I don’t think so. I don’t think their opinion on whether or not this is offensive matters anymore than others. Sometimes yes...when it is an immediate action/word/etc.

The fact that Liam can’t mention this without crazy racist outrage is a big problem. Cause again, it was a great time to have a conversation. 

I would like it if people could talk open and honest about past thoughts, beliefs etc and why they changed. That is what everyone deserves to hear. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    PJ_Soul said:

I don’t think so. I don’t think their opinion on whether or not this is offensive matters anymore than others. Sometimes yes...when it is an immediate action/word/etc.

The fact that Liam can’t mention this without crazy racist outrage is a big problem. Cause again, it was a great time to have a conversation. 

I would like it if people could talk open and honest about past thoughts, beliefs etc and why they changed. That is what everyone deserves to hear. 
    I think that those against whom an insult is made are absolutely the most important party when it comes to how it plays out. Of course black people's opinions about racist things directed at them matters more than how white people feel about it. I am definitely not assuming black people are more offended by this particular thing. But how they feel does matter.
    I agree that him not being able to say this is a big problem. It's insane. But if he didn't want this reaction, he should have kept him mouth shut. He should have known better, because surely he's as aware as the rest of us how stupid the public/media reaction is to stuff like this. I bet he regrets opening his mouth about it now!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I think that those against whom an insult is made are absolutely the most important party when it comes to how it plays out. Of course black people's opinions about racist things directed at them matters more than how white people feel about it. I am definitely not assuming black people are more offended by this particular thing. But how they feel does matter.
    I agree that him not being about to say this is a big problem. It's insane. But if he didn't want this reaction, he should have kept him mouth shut. He should have known better, because surely he's as aware as the rest of us how stupid the public/media reaction is to stuff like this. I bet he regrets opening his mouth about it now!

I disagree 100%. Telling him to keep his mouth shut is awful. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I agree that him not being about to say this is a big problem. It's insane. But if he didn't want this reaction, he should have kept him mouth shut. He should have known better, because surely he's as aware as the rest of us how stupid the public/media reaction is to stuff like this. I bet he regrets opening his mouth about it now!

I disagree 100%. Telling him to keep his mouth shut is awful. 
    Who told him to keep his mouth shut? I'm literally agreeing with you man, lol. I'm simply saying that the results of him not keeping his mouth shut were predictable, so if he didn't want the reaction then he should have. If he is okay with the backlash or feels strongly enough about telling the world this story that he's willing to take the consequences for doing so, then he shouldn't have.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I said what matters with the Liam Neeson thing is how black people feel about it. Well this is just one black person (who I happen to really like as a media personality), but his thoughts about it mean more to me than any white person's. (No idea if this fb link will work for people, but it's not on YouTube yet)