Outrage Culture

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I’m still killing wasps when I see them....well if it’s me or the wasp situation I mean. Wasp is a goner
    Spoken like a true apex predator...lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Listen the Wasp is more afraid of you than you of them...#wasplivesmatter

make friends with them...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602

This is not true. . Those fuckers are aggressive.  They are not bumblebees.  
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited June 2019
    mrussel1 said:

That's a fact. I have been attacked by wasps tons of times. They literally will come at you when you're just sitting there innocently.... still, try not to kill pollinators if you can help it!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    edited June 2019
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited June 2019
    brianlux said:
    I'm not going to engaged in some fucking conversation where someone I respect and think of as a friend yells at me and berates me.  You didn't even get what I was saying right.  Fuck that.
    What are you talking about?! Brian, remember when I said to you that whenever you think something like this that you just ask for clarity, because I would NEVER do that? This is one of those times when you should have asked. Because I didn't berate you at all, or yell at you. :confused:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    The issue of the reduction in the number of honey bees came up on another forum and, reading about it there, this struck me as a good example of "outrage culture" gone askew yet again.   When the subject of honey bees comes up, people often freak out and worry that crops will fail if the honey bees die off.  That may be true in some places but I don't see how that can be true in North America.  The honey be is an exotic (non-native) species.  It was introduced here in 1622.  There are about 4,000 other bee species in North America and they are as good at pollinating as the honey bee-- or better-- honey bees don't pollinate tomatoes and other fruits and vegetables.  My best hunch is that a lot of the hoopla over this issue is generated by the honey industry.  If I'm wrong about that, my apologies- but I'd need some good evidence to believe I'm wrong.

It might be helpful if we were all taught lot more about science before we get caught up freaking out about something science related because somebody tweeted it or it showed up on "the news".
    You're very wrong, and frankly, that theory doesn't even make any sense. It disturbs me that there are actually people out there spreading such info to people like you - it's like an anti-bee force. It's so odd because it is completely against their well-being as well as ours. I have even heard multiple recent stories about people literally destroying bee hives out of malice for some fucking reason. The honey industry can easily grow its own hives - the honey supply is the least of anyone's concern, including honey manufacturers. Very little of the honey you see in the store is wild honey. Obviously we still need thing pollinated in North America. I'm not sure where you heard bees aren't important to crops that need pollination, as that is clearly not true. Most of our crops come from Europe - it's not like we are farming like Natives from eons ago. Our crops need the European honeybee to survive. Yes, there are other pollinators. But honeybees are incredibly important to North America as well.

Also, it sounds like you live on a property that might be good for bee hives. There are organizations that will set up bee hives on people's property for a reasonable fee (this is like charity on the property owners' parts), and they will maintain the hives for you, and also teach you one-on-one about bee keeping. :) I would do it, but I can't, as I live in an apartment, and they only set up in yards and on rooftops.

Friend or not, I'm not going to engage in a conversation with someone who yells at me and berates me.  You didn't even get what I was saying right.  Fuck that .
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

edited June 2019
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    The issue of the reduction in the number of honey bees came up on another forum and, reading about it there, this struck me as a good example of "outrage culture" gone askew yet again.   When the subject of honey bees comes up, people often freak out and worry that crops will fail if the honey bees die off.  That may be true in some places but I don't see how that can be true in North America.  The honey be is an exotic (non-native) species.  It was introduced here in 1622.  There are about 4,000 other bee species in North America and they are as good at pollinating as the honey bee-- or better-- honey bees don't pollinate tomatoes and other fruits and vegetables.  My best hunch is that a lot of the hoopla over this issue is generated by the honey industry.  If I'm wrong about that, my apologies- but I'd need some good evidence to believe I'm wrong.

It might be helpful if we were all taught lot more about science before we get caught up freaking out about something science related because somebody tweeted it or it showed up on "the news".
    You're very wrong, and frankly, that theory doesn't even make any sense. It disturbs me that there are actually people out there spreading such info to people like you - it's like an anti-bee force. It's so odd because it is completely against their well-being as well as ours. I have even heard multiple recent stories about people literally destroying bee hives out of malice for some fucking reason. The honey industry can easily grow its own hives - the honey supply is the least of anyone's concern, including honey manufacturers. Very little of the honey you see in the store is wild honey. Obviously we still need thing pollinated in North America. I'm not sure where you heard bees aren't important to crops that need pollination, as that is clearly not true. Most of our crops come from Europe - it's not like we are farming like Natives from eons ago. Our crops need the European honeybee to survive. Yes, there are other pollinators. But honeybees are incredibly important to North America as well.

Also, it sounds like you live on a property that might be good for bee hives. There are organizations that will set up bee hives on people's property for a reasonable fee (this is like charity on the property owners' parts), and they will maintain the hives for you, and also teach you one-on-one about bee keeping. :) I would do it, but I can't, as I live in an apartment, and they only set up in yards and on rooftops.

Friend or not, I'm not going to engage in a conversation with someone who yells at me and berates me.  You didn't even get what I was saying right.  Fuck that .
    I'll refer you back to my last comment. What in the world are you talking about?! I wasn't yelling or berating at all. Did you misread something??
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

I'll refer you back to my last comment. What in the world are you talking about?! I wasn't yelling or berating at all. Did you misread something??
    Yelling and berating  (call me mistaken, perhaps, but saying "you're very wrong"...   uh uh)   "People such as me?  WTF?:

"You're very wrong, and frankly, that theory doesn't even make any sense. It disturbs me that there are actually people out there spreading such info to people like you"

Totally misconstrued where I'm coming from:

"it's like an anti-bee force."d

No, I'm not anti-bee, I'm anti anthropocentric thinking.

It doesn't matter anyway because I'm probably going to get fried for making a personal statement.  And if that's the cased, so be it and sayonara.

edited June 2019
    I didn't mean you're an anti-bee force. I wasn't talking about you at all when I said that - of course I know you're not anti-bee dude. And "people like you" would be "people who are being convinced that it's the honey bee industry." That is what I thought you were very wrong about, and you literally mentioned maybe being wrong, so I said I thought you are. Seriously Brian. Just ask me when you have a reaction like that, instead of essentially attacking me for things I didn't even mean. I don't understand why you keep doing this, lol.

• RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    PJ_Soul said:
    I didn't mean you're an anti-bee force. I wasn't talking about you at all when I said that - of course I know you're not anti-bee dude. And "people like you" would be "people who are being convinced that it's the honey bee industry." That is what I thought you were very wrong about, and you literally mentioned maybe being wrong, so I said I thought you are. Seriously Brian. Just ask me when you have a reaction like that, instead of essentially attacking me for things I didn't even mean. I don't understand why you keep doing this, lol.

Nice backpedaling.
    edited June 2019
    RYME said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Nice backpedaling.
    Oh FFS. That isn't backpedaling. That is me clarifying what I actually was saying. Backpedaling is literally lying. Don't call me a liar. I was explaining to Brian exactly what I meant, since he misunderstood. And obviously I wasn't clear enough. So why did you see fit to drop in and accuse me of not being honest? Just to be some kind of snotty instigator?
    PJ_Soul said:

OK, I'm sorry.  I guess I heard something in the words you wrote.  It's been said that words are only 7% of communication. ... but now I'm making excuses. 
    My bad, sorry. 
    hide

brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:

OK, I'm sorry.  I guess I heard something in the words you wrote.  It's been said that words are only 7% of communication. ... but now I'm making excuses. 
    My bad, sorry. 
    hide

I'm not mad, it's just that you keep doing this to me, and I don't get it. It's like you assume the worst of me, and then get so mad. Why don't you just try and talk it out instead of going all "fuck that" on me?
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:

My bad, sorry. 
    hide

I'm not mad, it's just that you keep doing this to me, and I don't get it. It's like you assume the worst of me, and then get so mad. Why don't you just try and talk it out instead of going all "fuck that" on me?
    Well, it sounded like a bit of an attack but like I say, maybe I read the words wrong.  I'll cop to that.  But we should let it go for now as KAT has already warned about talking about each other rather than the subject.  I don't want to lose what little is afforded by my $20 a year, haha.

So OK,  lets talk out this bee thing.   My point was that when people get upset about honey bee die-off, many think that this is a terrible thing.  My contention is that losing a species that is non-native might not be such a bad thing.  In fact, looking at the big picture, it might even be a good thing.   Like I said, there are about 4,000 native bee species in North America and they are very good pollinators.  Some of them even pollinate things honey bees are incapable of.  

So are honey bees harmful?  From what I've read, the question of how much actual harm is caused by the introduction of honey bees is still being debated among scientists.  But the fact that the issue is still debated means that honey bees really could be problematic.  The arguments against honey bees include evidence that they compete with native species, making it more difficult for the natural species to survive.

Some info on that cane be found here:

Basically, what I'm saying is that when we read an article that decries the reduction in the honey bee population, we might want to step back a second and ask, "OK, how bad is this really?"  I'm just stating one example of many where an issue receives some press and with the right wording and bias, pretty much everyone throws up their hands and says, "Oh shit, all the bees are dying and were not going to have enough crops and were all going to starve and die."  That's just not true- not unless all pollinators are dying off.  And if that's the case, we really might be screwed.  But lets find out more about this before we get that excited about it.

OK, all your's, Allison.  (And yes, I will read more carefully this time!)

edited June 2019
    FWIW Brian, I don't think we've crossed any line and aren't at risk of getting banned from this conversation. ;)
    Like I already said, I do think there are real reasons to be very concerned about the honeybee die off, if what you are concerned about is the food supply/agriculture (but also about the ecosystem in general). And I really think we need to be concerned about that, especially as I also think we are RIGHT on the edge of some really serious problems because of climate change. We need all the successful crops we can get right now. But also, other pollinators are indeed dying off. Here are a couple articles:

I should add.... isn't a whole species, whatever it is, becoming threatened and going through a massive die-off a legit thing to feel outraged about in any case, especially considering the fact that pesticide use is a major factor in it happening?
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    PJ_Soul said:
    RYME said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Nice backpedaling.
    Oh FFS. That isn't backpedaling. That is me clarifying what I actually was saying. Backpedaling is literally lying. Don't call me a liar. I was explaining to Brian exactly what I meant, since he misunderstood. And obviously I wasn't clear enough. So why did you see fit to drop in and accuse me of not being honest? Just to be some kind of snotty instigator?
    I just don’t think you see how you come off sometimes. Even in your response.

1) Brian you are very wrong
    2) Brian it’s your fault how you read my message

And I’m honestly just trying to be helpful here, but somehow I doubt you will think that. 
    hippiemom = goodness
    Hey gang, this has been interesting but it's 5:30 and I'm making a BEE-line for the lounge!  :lol:

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:

That's a fact. I have been attacked by wasps tons of times. They literally will come at you when you're just sitting there innocently.... still, try not to kill pollinators if you can help it!
    When I was in my teens, we were chilling in a park getting buzzed, and BZZZZ.  A fucking swarm of them literally chased us back to the car.  

(And don't get me started on when a bee got in my car while I was driving; I was the sitting-down version of Elaine dancing, with a healthy dose of panic.)
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Yeah theres no way in hell im letting a wasp live on my property.  I found a fairly big nest last night.  Killed about 16 of them.   Used dawn soap and water.   I go on a search every few weeks.  
    Wasps.  Not my favorite critter!  Last year, in May I was in the store room at the bookstore, reached into a box to pull out some books and a mud dauber nailed me on the hand below my right thumb.  Very painful!  And then sore, red and swollen for week. 

This year, May again, same place, different box, BAM!  Nailed on the arm by a mud dauber.  More weeks of pain, swelling and soreness.  They play they're roll in the cycle of things and are not aggressive- but they are to be avoided!

And another time I was stung repeated on the head by paper wasps.  I'm sure they have their roll in the cycle of things as well, but they are aggressive, nasty, viscous little fuckers!

Our local Main Street barber was out in front of his shop yesterday with a kid plastic pellet gun shooting at the eves in front of his building.  I asked him what he was shooting.  "Wasps" he answered.  What are you using for ammo?  "Salt" he replied.  Never seen that before.

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited June 2019
    Yeah thats a thing now.  Salt guns for flys and wasps.  I just use a cup of dish soap and water.  Throw it on the nest and watch them die.  No awful chemicals and kills them just as well
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
    Yeah thats a thing now.  Salt guns for flys and wasps.  I just use a cup of dish soap and water.  Throw it on the nest and watch them die.  No awful chemicals and kills them just as well
    I did not know that.  Interesting. 
    Every now and then, just for kicks, I do a Daniel Radcliffe, like in "Jungle", and take my shirt off and dump fire ants on my body.

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    People are outraged at the US Womens National team outscoring Thailand 13 to nil...
    https://www.today.com/news/us-team-criticized-celebrating-during-women-s-world-cup-win-t156130
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    People are outraged at the US Womens National team outscoring Thailand 13 to nil...
    https://www.today.com/news/us-team-criticized-celebrating-during-women-s-world-cup-win-t156130

No, they aren't outraged by the outscoring.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    People.. as in some people who I've never heard of that have a Twitter account.  
    It's Thailand's job to stop them, not Team USA's job to stop themselves.  

No, they aren't outraged by the outscoring.
    Then if the Thai soccer team does not like it, then stop them...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    Every now and then, just for kicks, I do a Daniel Radcliffe, like in "Jungle", and take my shirt off and dump fire ants on my body.

I know some people who head North to fish in the spring just to enjoy the company of black flies...they are nasty...at least I believe they have a short season...but they drive the wildlife crazy.  I would rather deal with a wasp sting once in a while than have these little fuckers around...

Black Flies
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAd_JIFzceo
    Give Peas A Chance…