Outrage Culture

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,818
    Hi! said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:
    Is that the purpose of the reality TV industry?  And if somehow so, intent doesn't necessarily equate to outcome.  I need the distraction sometimes. I welcome it.  I need to just turn off the heavy shit in my mind and think outside of myself for awhile.

I may also turn to video games (the violence!) and crossword puzzles (gold star?).

It's OK if folks want to roll their eyes at me; I'm pretty OK with myself these days.  With my intelligence too.

I'm not really sure how the pulling-one-over-on-us power thing is related, though.
    I watch Family Guy straight into Rick and Morty most weeknights.  Im sure that's worse for a person than reality tv 
    I m hooked on naked and afraid right now. Who the hell gets stuck in the wilderness naked?!
    I fucking love that show. Do you watch Alone?
    I haven’t seen alone; is it on the discovery channel?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    mcgruff10 said:
    Hi! said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:
    Is that the purpose of the reality TV industry?  And if somehow so, intent doesn't necessarily equate to outcome.  I need the distraction sometimes. I welcome it.  I need to just turn off the heavy shit in my mind and think outside of myself for awhile.

I may also turn to video games (the violence!) and crossword puzzles (gold star?).

It's OK if folks want to roll their eyes at me; I'm pretty OK with myself these days.  With my intelligence too.

I'm not really sure how the pulling-one-over-on-us power thing is related, though.
    I watch Family Guy straight into Rick and Morty most weeknights.  Im sure that's worse for a person than reality tv 
    I m hooked on naked and afraid right now. Who the hell gets stuck in the wilderness naked?!
    I think History. I watch it on demand most times so I forgot. It’s better than Naked and Afraid IMO. It’s a survivalist competition with a cash prize for whoever lasts longest. It’s the real deal, but they wear clothes, lol. You’ll love it. They have a new season running right now and many more on demand.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

Hi! said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Hi! said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:

I think History. I watch it on demand most times so I forgot. It’s better than Naked and Afraid IMO. It’s a survivalist competition with a cash prize for whoever lasts longest. It’s the real deal, but they wear clothes, lol. You’ll love it. They have a new season running right now and many more on demand.
    I will definitely check it out!!
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,621
    mcgruff10 said:
    Hi! said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Hi! said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:

It's just too bizarre for me.  I've tried to watch it.  
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    My mother was a TV fanatic and I loved her dearly, so it's not the viewers I would ever say anything against, it's just the shows.  And for me, that means pretty much the vast majority of what's on the tube these days. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Hi! said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Hi! said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:

It's just too bizarre for me.  I've tried to watch it.  
    How is it bizarre?
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    brianlux said:
    My mother was a TV fanatic and I loved her dearly, so it's not the viewers I would ever say anything against, it's just the shows.  And for me, that means pretty much the vast majority of what's on the tube these days. 
    disagree brian. tv was watered down feel good shit that had zero semblance in reality back then. now, there is still that, it's just the spectrum has grown exponentially. there are shows that challenge our intellect, emotion, ethics, whereas before the biggest challenge we got was on "a very special Blossom" where she and a friend snuck out and had a beer, and subsequently realized the errors of their ways and went back to white picket fence life. 

now we have tv that actually makes us think, starts meaningful conversations, changes culture even. unfortunately, what comes with that is also tv that changes culture for the worse.

as Mrs Garrett would say, "you take the good, you take the bad,  you take em both, and there you have, the facts of life"
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

brianlux said:
    disagree brian. tv was watered down feel good shit that had zero semblance in reality back then. now, there is still that, it's just the spectrum has grown exponentially. there are shows that challenge our intellect, emotion, ethics, whereas before the biggest challenge we got was on "a very special Blossom" where she and a friend snuck out and had a beer, and subsequently realized the errors of their ways and went back to white picket fence life. 

now we have tv that actually makes us think, starts meaningful conversations, changes culture even. unfortunately, what comes with that is also tv that changes culture for the worse.

as Mrs Garrett would say, "you take the good, you take the bad,  you take em both, and there you have, the facts of life"
    Mmmm.. so many Facts of Life references.. makes me happy.  
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Mmmm.. so many Facts of Life references.. makes me happy.  
    there's a time ya gotta go and show you're growin' now you know about the facts of life......
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:

Yes to both!  Rick and Morty is as educational as it is disturbingly hilarious.   
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Some reality tv is fine, Deadliest Catch, Amazing Race are 2 of my favourites.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,570
    brianlux said:

I guess you never watched All in the Family, the Mary Tyler Moore Show or MASH? None of those could have possibly made people think or question authority or what their government was doing in their name?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    Some reality tv is fine, Deadliest Catch, Amazing Race are 2 of my favourites.
    Deadliest catch is awesome.  Love gold rush too.  
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,724
    I hate to admit it, but I followed OJ on twitter. And I gotta say, despite him being a sadistic, brain-damaged murderer, his tweets are far more coherent than those of the President. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    brianlux said:

I guess you never watched All in the Family, the Mary Tyler Moore Show or MASH? None of those could have possibly made people think or question authority or what their government was doing in their name?
    these days, I'm being very selective in whom i respond to. 

sorry, you didn't make the cut. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,082
    brianlux said:

Hahahahahaha
    hippiemom = goodness
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    brianlux said:

Well, to tell the truth, I think TV has always been about brain rotting.  But to me the golden age of TV was around the time of Rockford Files, Columbo and Kojak.  Good acting, engaging stories, likeable characters, good writing and great filming.  Today's fictional TV shows are poorly shot, have forgettable characters, poorly constructed, convoluted writing and reality TV is just unreal and nauseating.  But those are just personally biases.  Fact of the matter is, TV is still what TV always has been- a device to induce brain rot.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:

Lame.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
    brianlux said:

And apparently I did make the cut. Lamer.

Brilliantati©
    brianlux said:

3 great TV shows right there...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Well, to tell the truth, I think TV has always been about brain rotting.  But to me the golden age of TV was around the time of Rockford Files, Columbo and Kojak.  Good acting, engaging stories, likeable characters, good writing and great filming.  Today's fictional TV shows are poorly shot, have forgettable characters, poorly constructed, convoluted writing and reality TV is just unreal and nauseating.  But those are just personally biases.  Fact of the matter is, TV is still what TV always has been- a device to induce brain rot.
    Those are pretty darn good shows...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I was going to say...I don;t think the book guy is the target audience for TV ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
    brianlux said:

From the 70's.  Sheesh gotta go back 50 years!
    hippiemom = goodness
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I think you are forgetting Hardcastle and McCormick, the Fall Guy, and Hart to Hart.  Just sayin...
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I think you are forgetting Hardcastle and McCormick, the Fall Guy, and Hart to Hart.  Just sayin...
    The Love Boat and Fantasy Island were good as well. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:

Beats the hell out of Blossom as far as social commentary goes but then again, I wasn’t lulled into unconsciousness because I didn’t watch it. Blossom, hilarious.

Brilliantati©
    brianlux said:

Beats the hell out of Blossom as far as social commentary goes but then again, I wasn’t lulled into unconsciousness because I didn’t watch it. Blossom, hilarious.
    Saved by the bell is where it’s at.   
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

Was Winnie in that one?

Brilliantati©
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

Was Winnie in that one?
    I am completely outraged that you would confuse the Wonder Years with Saved by the Bell.  I'm going to demand both a public apology and that your employer terminates you immediately.  
    *thread integrity
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

Was Winnie in that one?
    I am completely outraged that you would confuse the Wonder Years with Saved by the Bell.  I'm going to demand both a public apology and that your employer terminates you immediately.  
    *thread integrity
    Wonder Years? Is that the one where the black fella gets shipped off to 90210 to live with his auntie?

Brilliantati©